Deleted

[Mage] Icicle Addon

Hey Guys.

With our new icicle mastery, i find it pretty hard to always know how many icicles i have.
    I know some best answer to this will be simply to count how many frostbolts i've cast etc.

But i need an addon to keep track of it.

Any suggestions?

Any add on like Tell Me When or Weakauras should be able to do it. Judging from the frost discussions however doesnt seem like it is worth the hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by Aoeina View Post
    Any add on like Tell Me When or Weakauras should be able to do it. Judging from the frost discussions however doesnt seem like it is worth the hassle.
    mhm, there really is no reason to track it since if you were to break it down, icicles are just a fancy way of implementing a passive mastery, there would be almost no difference between this and if the tooltip said "increases Welly Damage, Frostbolt, and Frostfire Bolt by x%"

10+ Year Old Account
    There is no reason to track them, using IL on proc doesn't change anything from waiting for 5 stacks as they launch one by one if you don't have any IL proc. Do your normal rotation, you wont see any difference =)

There are PvP reasons to track them, but there's no API to get the information. Lhivera has asked the developers to look into providing a user interface to track them.

What you could do (if you know how to write addons) is keep track of FFB, Frostbolt and Icicle hits. The splitting ice glyph could complicate things a bit, but it should be possible to replicate the game server logic close enough to keep track of the power & duration of the icicles you have. From a PvE point of view, I think trying to track and optimize their use might be more work than it's worth. Actually, this is doable within a custom Lua WeakAura, so you don't need to know all the details of writing addons (Lua still required and you have to know how combat log events work).

Yeah other then for pvp there isnt much of a reason to ever track them.
    No easy way to track them with tellmewhen or weakwuras though, since the icicles dont give you any kind of buff at all. Might be able to do if you write a custom code with Lua in weakauras

Quote Originally Posted by Tiga View Post
    There are PvP reasons to track them, but there's no API to get the information. Lhivera has asked the developers to look into providing a user interface to track them.
    Doubled. It's pretty much impossible to make accurate addons that track something that doesn't register in the combat log at all (something internal like the soul shard system is needed). What's interesting is that just about all the GMs I've heard people chatted with seem fairly confident that this is intended just to keep frost mages away from what they were in PVP before.

Just don't detonate them with lances before you have two stacks of FoF and you can guarantee a high burst.

Icicles generated 1:1 with Frostbolt and FFB, so in that sense you get combat log data for them. You also get combat log events when they are spent, although you have to learn to recognize and ignore the Splitting Ice copies somehow, which could be tricky if one target has a damage debuff and the other one doesn't etc. They expire after 15 seconds and although there's no combat log data for that, you can calculate it from when they were created. I think Blizzard will give us an API before I find the time to write the tracking code (might be fun as a programming project, but I'm not hugely motivated otherwise).

Howsabout just count the little icicle thingies floating above your back?

Dunno i aint ever gonna play frost
    #1 fire mage US. u mirin'?
    "Aaah ah ah ah ah ah ah yea, f*ck me, ah, f*ck, aah yeah"
    - Jenna Jameson

Quote Originally Posted by fearist View Post
    Dunno i aint ever gonna play frost
    So helpful. Please enlighten us with more of your Icicle knowledge.

On a more serious note: no point in tracking Icicles. It's a passive damage bonus for us that requires us to do nothing.

What was silly is that we actually did have an Icicles buff in the PTR, but they decided to scrap it for some stupid reason. That would have made it waaaaay easier to track because then you could plop it on your favorite tracking addon (TMW, NTK, MSBT, etc).
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Quote Originally Posted by Torian kel View Post
    There is no reason to track them, using IL on proc doesn't change anything from waiting for 5 stacks as they launch one by one if you don't have any IL proc. Do your normal rotation, you wont see any difference =)
    Made an account just to reply here. It does matter how many icicles in SOME conditions. A great combo which I like to use when I DPS in arenas is wait for a brain freeze and two fingers of frost procs and will obviously have 5 icicles at this point. I have 40% mastery and once had 50% which was great because I would then use Alter Time > Fingers Proc > Brain Freeze > Fingers again > Alter Time finishes, I have all my procs back and I rinse and repeat. Great in PVE too if you want to string out a good bit of damage, which you do. Along with Orb and a Deep Freeze, they won't last. Poly healer, spell steal their shield and counterspell the healer when poly is trinketed or it drops if they aren't dead yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    The main reason I would think an addon would be helpful is because that you could pop an alter-time with the most powerful 4 or 5 icicles you have. Remember that it is always a % (un-modified) damage from FB, FFB that gets turned into an icicle. If you can track when you have lined up a juicy group of them, you can pop AT, let loose with it all, do some rotation, then do it again when the AT ends. This would be effective in both PVE and PVP.