Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Galakras phase #1 10man NORMAL

hi there,
    we are slowly progressing on Galakras. Right now I'm trying to wrap my head around how to properly do towers as this is when the most chaos happens for us.

first the disclaimer: we are 10man, normal, geared in normal ToT gear with 535 ilvl (roughly), we go in with two tanks, two healers, 2 melee and 4 ranged dps

my question is pretty much "how you guys do it?" We tried two approaches, one to split the raid and as soon as towers open get a tank, healer and 2-3 dps to handle the tower. the other strategy was to wait with the tower until we kill the snake mini boss, kill demolisher and then have tank, heals and ALL dps zerg tower. At that point protodrakes come I'm staying on the ground tanking the adds with a healer waiting for the guys to finish the tower. I have no problem surviving even when additional adds spawn (the next miniboss + bonecrushers) but ofc I have to wait for the DPS to get back to kill adds.

as a bonus question: how do you handle the cone attack on top of the tower? we had some people getting blown off saying they didn't see the cone clearly and had little time to react.

any help you can give me is greatly appreciated, thanks

Both towers should be handled after the mini boss and demolisher go down, there's no rush to clear the tower. A tank, healer and 2 dps should be enough to clear the tower right as the boss starts to cast his conal attacks. For the first tower use the direction he's facing rather than the very slow animation to dodge arcing smash.

Kill demo before you go to tower. Then half of the raid goes up. After you clear all get one of your dps to stay behind, use the tower to clear the sky of the drakes spitting fire at your raid.

The cone is very visible, if people are missing it have them stay on the stairs, in 90% of the cases they will be knocked into the wall behind.

Delay the transition till you can pull boss without extra adds (proto drake is the easiest to kill so aim to do it after them).

GL.

we just have our whole raid go up the first tower after the demo dies..the guy melts before he even gets a cast off and the npcs can handle the proto drakes no problem.
    second one we send up 4 people (1 tank 1 healer 2 dps). last phase is where the fun begins

is the tower mini boss stunnable? I am wondering if it is better to send out melee or dps IF we end up not sending everyone.

interestingly people here suggest going towers after demo. all of the videos I saw have tower team going in as soon as it is opened - when the snake mini boss spawns, any reason for that?

Quote Originally Posted by hlx View Post
    interestingly people here suggest going towers after demo. all of the videos I saw have tower team going in as soon as it is opened - when the snake mini boss spawns, any reason for that?
    They are probably overgeared, as we were, so we just rushed the towers to get to P2 quicker.
    Stay salty my friends.

so ideally we should send zerg dps team after demo dies while holding on protos and the next mini boss for them clear the tower and go back? or split dps and have someone stay mauling protodrakes and that annoying second miniboss?

Deleted
    is the tower mini boss stunnable? I am wondering if it is better to send out melee or dps IF we end up not sending everyone.

That's never a good idea, as the demo does a HUGE amount of damage to everyone inside the towers while it is alive. (something like 350-400k per shot).
    We killed the snake boss, then the demo while cleaving down the shadow adds then belted up the tower.
    There's no real reason not to get the demo down first anyway.

Deleted
    We did it like this:

Entire raid on adds untill first Demo spawns, burn that down and have everyone go up the left tower. Burn down the adds there, have 9 people to jump down and take care of the next wave of adds while 1 stays up to deal with proto drakes and jump down to the raid when they are all dead.
    Efter the second Demo we had 1 tank, 1 healer and 3 dps go up the right tower while the rest take care of the other adds.
    When the tower was close to complete 1dps from the add group got up the left tower with the rope, 1 dps in the other cannon while the other 4 got down to the adds again. Time it in a nice manner to shot down the boss and then jump down. Kill boss.

We do it like this:
    Kill mini-boss and demolisher >
    Me (disc priest), prot warrior, mage and rogue goes up the tower pulling everything up to the boss >
    Kill the boss and all the adds (I leave when there are only archers left and we leave the rogue alone when there is only one archer left)>
    Help with the next mini-boss and demolisher while the rogue is left at the turret killing the stuff in the air>
    Same grp goes to the other tower, again pulling everything up to the boss>
    Kill boss and all adds and when there is only 1/2 archers left our rogue rush to the first tower while our mage takes control of the turret>
    Shoot down Galakras just before the next wave of adds arrive
    Congratz Jesus the Solar Messiah, Ynf Ynf!
    Mah Warrior

We jumped right after the door opend into it.

Tank DK, SP, Hunter and Disc Priest.

We stayed on the ground area of the tower till the first 3 mobs are dead. As soon as they are dead (mostly in the same time as the other group killed the siege weapon) we went up and killed the mini boss.

We had a problem on the tower where the mini-boss would be, for example, facing due east and doing it's cone attack due east, and the healer would 100% be standing behind the boss, and get blown off the tower due WEST. Was really annoying and happened every second pull or so. Anyone else having this problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Rocksteadee View Post
    We had a problem on the tower where the mini-boss would be, for example, facing due east and doing it's cone attack due east, and the healer would 100% be standing behind the boss, and get blown off the tower due WEST. Was really annoying and happened every second pull or so. Anyone else having this problem?
    dont stay right behind boss cause u can get caught up in it too -_- stand 2-3 feet away from it -_-

We put 16 attempts in last night (no kill, making it to 2nd tower) after killing sha in 4 attempts for our first kill.

We didnt try the zerg start, but it crossed my mind after raid while i was trying to fall asleep. We tried 2 different strats though.

The first is sending them up as soon as it opens, but then they can get stunned and its allot of damage to the raid, especially since the snake boss was hitting 50% right around the time the tank spawned.

what we started doing was killing snake, ignoring the tank until she was dead, then tower group would head up while the ground group would kill the tank, usually tank was dead by the time they reach the door. This was pretty consistently getting us through the first tower shortly after the 2nd mini boss spawned. One thing i learned btw, the tower adds wont leave the tower all the way if you leave as the tank, and they need to be killed to get the tower... we leave our rouge up top to shoot the cannon, though i may be changing that for dps reasons.

the 2nd tower is where we started having issues. that 2nd ground mini boss is rough. he just has a ton of health plus the shaman with him.

im thinking of taking the following approach next week (hate being a 2 day a week guild during a new tier). Kill snake boss, kill tank, send all dps a tank and a healer up tower. Come down, kill bosses and tank, send dps healer and tank up tower 2. I was going up with the tower group because as a monk tank, im doing way more damage than our druid tank, this was getting the tower down faster. not sure if with this strat i want to stay on ground or send him up.

as a bonus question: how do you handle the cone attack on top of the tower? we had some people getting blown off saying they didn't see the cone clearly and had little time to react.

any help you can give me is greatly appreciated, thanks
    I normally don't have problems seeing this kind of stuff either, but it is kinda rough up there. the smoke is the same color as the tower floor and then you have the drakes flying above you obstructing view some times. So couple things i figured out that made it easier for me. Bring the camera angle down a bit, this helps with the dragons, not preferable though since i play zoomed out a good bit with the zoom macro. 2ndly, instead of looking for the smoke, watch the mini boss's facing. he turns the direction he is going to slam. Also, have people move in closer to him during this part. I also looks like he will travel to the middle on his own for the slams which means you can start by tanking him on top of archers, and when he moves, you know he is starting this, also lets you cleave archers for a bit. hope this helps, its definitely a tight area to play in.

If u have a shaman use the wind walk totem to negate thunder clap.

We had our tank tank the mobs on the ground of the tower, while the healer and hunter (me) stayed outside the door and killed them, until the demolisher spawned, we had our ground team, and me, right in front of the tower kill the demolisher before going in.

The key at the top, is to stay in very close melee range of the mini boss so his stuff is easier to dodge. Even if you're slowed, if you're right in front of him you'll be fine.

After first tower is dead, like some people have stated, have one of the DPSers take down the proto drakes.

My video shows this all (other than the proto drake killing from first tower) might help - http://youtu.be/AevFmPAOqUY

^ Too lazy to update

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Some tips;

• Send your melee up to the tower if possible, some of ours were getting blown up from the damage going on down at the path.
    • Kill the demolishers before going up to the towers, you don't have to kill the mini bosses as well, but there's no real rush so you can do that too if you want
    • Turn off combat plates (v) when at the top of the tower if you're having trouble seeing the cone, things get a little cluttered up there.
    • If you're not heroic geared, 3 healing is generally the way to go imo particularly if one of your healers is disc (disc is the worst spec for phase 2 due to low sustained aoe healing throughput and not having a strong aoe healing cd).
    • Make sure your tank/dps are killing the totems/banners on the ground and interrupting the shamans, if this isn't done then a lot of damage is wasted due to the enemy healing.
    • You should be leaving someone in the 1st tower cannon to kill the drakes (and then joining the rest of the raid when all the drakes are down).
    • Be aware that the miniboss up top at the second tower hits the tank quite hard.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    So here's our strat,
    2 tank, 3 heals 5 DPS
    Slow dps on Korga when she comes out, focus down demolisher, as soon as it dies 1 tank, 1 healer and 2 dps go up the tower to clear it out while we kill korga.

As soon as tower is clear the healer stays up there to shoot down drakes and the others drop down to help kill adds and control Thranok. We kill adds (shaman>miniboss>bonecrusher) until demo comes up. We focus it down then tower team goes up tower 2, when it's clear tower tank gets in and starts shooting down drakes. Tower DPS come down to help with adds and tower healer goes back up tower 1.

There should be a shaman and possible a bonecrusher up at this time. Hold off shooting the boss down until the bone crusher is 25-50%, you may get a pair of drake adds, that's fine. then shoot down glakras face him away from the raid and have everyone but the tanks stand in a line behind him. If you have the fireball on you run to the back so it hits everyone. If you have more than 4 stacks get out of the line until they fall off.

Edit: unfortunately the only solution for the knock back seemed to be watch ground effects and move. If you are closer to the center you hve a bit more leeway on moving in time.

15+ Year Old Account
    Our group took 1 healer, 1 tank, and 4 dps to the first tower after the demo died. Killed first 3 adds through 2 stuns at the entrance to the tower then ran up to the top. Zerged the mini boss down. Noted that I moved the mini boss to the side to allow ranged to not get hit by the tclap and have a better point of reference when he was going to do the smashes (he runs to the center first). Tank, healer, and 2 dps jumped down via levitate with 2 dps finishing up the archers. Final dps jumped down and remaining used cannon to clear proto's.

Second tower followed the same procedure, starting the mobs after the demo died. This time we only took 3 dps in the tower to help clear adds. Make sure the tank uses a significant CD for the mini boss up top cause she hits very hard. When that mini boss died, one dps stayed to clear the archers, one headed to the first tower, and the last dps, healer, and tank went back to help clear out adds.

Transition as stated before is best when you can clear up the adds before you bring the boss down. We waited until the proto wave as they were easy to clear up fast and bring Galakras down, lust, and burn.

He also appears to start doing the cone in the same direction every single time as well, so at least for the first one you can know exactly where to go.