Poll: What is your Sub Loss Prediction?

Page 22 of 41 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    School is starting back up though, its only natural subs will drop as the tykes get back to class. Is it any wonder why EVERY DAMN GAME COMPANY in America releases games during the October-December timeframe? (Christmas and Black Friday, as well) Because games likely have a large drop in players. Not that the game/company is doing anything wrong, it just is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    What does the title of the thread say? Where in the title is anything other than Q3 subs mentioned?
    Are you serious? You can't see how things that may affect subscriptions has anything to do with Q3 subscription predictions and beyond? Oh right I forgot you can't stomach the thought of people coming back to the game for any reason.

- - - Updated - - -

Honestly I have no idea what point you are trying prove.

In regards to Blizzcon it is not going to bring in new players as the only people interested in Blizzcon will be existing, and maybe a few ex, players.

Why would people play Hearthstone over, say, Magic the Gathering? And why would they then go and spend £40-£50 plus a subscription for WOW in order to get these combo deals that you have dreamed up. This is, almost, as ridiculous as your claim that Farmville players would give up Farmville, that is free, buy WOW plus all the expansions, pay a sub fee and level to 90 in order to play the Tillers' farm.
    Not everyone that goes to Blizzcon is a current subscriber or even a Wow player past or present. There is no way in hell that Blizzcon won't result in increased subscriptions and it is beyond ignorant to claim otherwise. As far as Hearthstone goes, people will play it because they like the Warcraft franchise. What does MTG have to do with anything? There are literally dozens of TCG games online and otherwise that are all wildly successful. Why would Hearthstone be any different? Does it really bother you that much that people continue to like and support Blizzard products that you can't even comprehend the fact different people like different things?

Quote Originally Posted by JakeCC View Post
    Ok fine its set to start filming next year just like the few other times it was set to start filming...

Ill believe the wow movie will release when it release's...

With that said just because Blizzard may release a WOW movie dose not mean jack shit my point still stands. Gamers and others are tired of really bad Game to Movie makes what makes you think the WOW movie will do any better and also how will it fit in the LORE since wow's LORE is always changing. To me the movie if it even comes out is a cash grab nothing more and I have a gut feeling more people are going to hate it then like it. I did read that and I have read many times that it was set to be made and released in XXXX year so like I said ill believe its coming out when it finally dose.

Also people seem to forget you don't have to like World Of Warcraft to like its Lore there is the TGC now Hearthstone and the Books so people could watch the movie and go "hey I want to read the book" not play some 10 year old MMO with a 15$ a month subfee ontop of the cost of each Box.

I still feel wow is going to drop at lease 500k subs this quater and that is on the low.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Superchief View Post
    I predict a massive loss of over 1 mil due to grind issues not being resolved, throttling of existing content, under par new content (timeless isle deemed a waste of time after getting free handouts for alts in about 30 minutes), killing pvp through deliberate stat scaling, announcing failure to update (or ever plan to update) new character models, and Final Fantasy XIVARR is drinking WoW players up like all-you-can-drink champagne at a wedding.

All of my friends have moved to XIVARR, which has astonishingly repaired all of their launch issues within the first two weeks and is crammed with player activity. It's nut to butt in the 3 main cities, more players than I've seen on a full server in WoW for a very long time. I've never seen this many individual players in an MMO since Dalaran during Wotlk when Ulduar released. There are more than millions in this game and I'm going to assume many of them are players who realized they are being milked in WoW and are looking for a new favorite MMO that isn't throttling their development team.

Mark my words if the sub loss in the 3rd quarter is more than one million... WoW didn't kill itself like the long standing prophecy foretold - it's been killed by another MMO. The impossible has happened, and frankly it's about time someone at Blizzard lost 50 DKP for being kicked into the whelps and not knowing what the F to do.
    What "grind" issues haven't been resolved? Dailies are scrapped and Blizzard has given us numerous options for gaining rep, valor, and pretty much anything else that anyone doing endgame could possibly want. It seems like you don't even like mmos so perhaps the problem isn't with Wow or Blizzard. Maybe try a different game and move on?

Deleted
    Oh what a rare thread!!!

I predict wow will live for at least 5 more years, that's my prediction.

Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    Are people expecting increases actually being serious? I mean not counting the shitty content and obvious systemic problems with the game, you honestly expect subs to increase in a holiday season FILLED with new consoles and dozens of titles coming out? I mean on the one hand shitty content isn't to blame and we shouldn't factor that as part of the loss but APPARENTLY we can if it's an increase because well then content is just so good right?
    Major content patches have always caused a spike in subscriptions especially end of expansions patches. While it may not last, a temporary increase in subscriptions is still an increase.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
    What combo deal can you have when one of them is free to play? Free decks for WoW subs or something along those lines are you thinking? That would go down well with people i am sure.

I would say they will have about 500kish loss.
    What would be the problem in giving Wow subscribers free Hearthstone decks? Haven't wow players been asking for a loyalty program? Oh right I forgot where I was. Free things are only good when Blizzard isn't giving anything away so you can call them greedy.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by But I Hate You All View Post
    it's the same people who always say subs will go up
    Are you really implying it isn't always the same people saying it will go down? You are one of the biggest hypocrites I have seen on these forums in a long time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Robert3620 View Post
    I think SoO is going to be out for at least ten months and bet closer to 12.

That's how it's gone for the last two tiers. I bet Dragon Soul does better at holding people then this tier does as well.
    The time between Cata and Mop was shorter than the time between Wrath and Cata and this was before the 40% increase to the Wow team and Titan devs being shifted over to work on Wow and Blizzard isn't even done hiring. They expect to increase the Wow team by another 40%. There is no way in hell Siege will last more than 6 months. It just isn't possible. And for those who say it is just lip service, take a look at the patch release dates for Mop. Every single one released on Blizzard's new schedule of content every 3 months. I see no reason why they cant follow through with getting expansions out faster.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    If I had to guess it'll be closer to 7-8 months.

Last two tiers were around for 5-6 months.
    I think the reason for the delay in 5.4 being released was Blizzard needed to buy a little extra time to get the expansion out without overextending 5.4. 5.4 lasting too long would have hurt them far worse than having 5.3 drag on a few extra weeks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    I honestly want Blizzard's subscriptions to dip down. Not in the cynical "DIE WoW DIE!" sort of way, but I want Blizzard to sort of go into panic mode and produce awesome content at a fast pace to reduce sub losses or even gain them. They've been too lax for too long without fear of losing the King of MMO's crown. I'd like them to become aware that players don't just fucking STAY with a game where the developers flat out say "We know the players want this, and we do too, but we can't/won't do it because the customer isn't always right".
    You do realize it is in Blizzard's best interests to develop good content regardless of subscription numbers right? They have been in the industry for over 20 years so I think they know what they are doing. Just because you don't like the content doesn't make it bad nor does it make it the only reason people are quitting.

As far as doing what "paying customers" want, I think Blizzard has proven when push comes to shove they are more than willing to take a hit to subscription numbers if it means long term viability of Wow. If Blizzard did what the customers wanted this game would have been driven into the ground years ago. Much of what many "paying customers" want would only result in a faster mass exodus from the game. No thanks. Again I think I will trust Blizzard over any armchair developer any day.

Come on guys, be positive! SUB GAIN! SUB GAIN! It's all about attitude, folks!

Or at least we can hope, right? :< If 5.4 hadn't come out, the losses would be a lot greater. Obviously major content patches bring in players, so I'm imagining a 100k-500k loss, probably leaning on the lower-mid end of it.

Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Are you serious? You can't see how things that may affect subscriptions has anything to do with Q3 subscription predictions and beyond? Oh right I forgot you can't stomach the thought of people coming back to the game for any reason.
    Yes I am serious what is happening in 2014 or 2015 has nothing to with Q3 2013. I would love for people to return to the game as it would mine and everyone else's experience better.

Not everyone that goes to Blizzcon is a current subscriber or even a Wow player past or present. There is no way in hell that Blizzcon won't result in increased subscriptions and it is beyond ignorant to claim otherwise. As far as Hearthstone goes, people will play it because they like the Warcraft franchise. What does MTG have to do with anything? There are literally dozens of TCG games online and otherwise that are all wildly successful. Why would Hearthstone be any different? Does it really bother you that much that people continue to like and support Blizzard products that you can't even comprehend the fact different people like different things?
    Haha! Good one! No one is going to spend over $100 on a Blizzcon ticket plus travel and accommodation if they are not already a Blizzard fan. The last Blizzcon did not result in increased subscribers why will this one?

My question was aimed how Hearthstone was going to attract new players to WOW, why would someone who is not already a Warcraft fan play Hearthstone over more established card games? And how is HS going to convert them to WOW players?

No it does not bother me that people like and support Blizzard products I like and support one of their products myself to the tune of £8.99 each month.

Major content patches have always caused a spike in subscriptions especially end of expansions patches. While it may not last, a temporary increase in subscriptions is still an increase.
    Really? Care to link one quarter, the past three years, where a content patch has resulted in an increase in subscribers?

What would be the problem in giving Wow subscribers free Hearthstone decks? Haven't wow players been asking for a loyalty program? Oh right I forgot where I was. Free things are only good when Blizzard isn't giving anything away so you can call them greedy.
    There is nothing wrong with offering free decks to WOW players from a WOW player's point of view in fact it is a good thing. However the problem is that it is bad thing to a non-WOW player as it is not realistic to expect them to pay for WOW, expansions and a sub fee to be on a level playing field with WOW players. In order for HS to be a success it needs to bring in new blood and not rely on existing Blizzard customers spending more money.

Are you really implying it isn't always the same people saying it will go down? You are one of the biggest hypocrites I have seen on these forums in a long time.
    The difference is that subs are going down and have been for some time now talking about something that is actually happening is not hypocritical.

Quote Originally Posted by Crashdummy View Post
    They are going below 7 millons.

Blizzard still didnt understand their mistakes. 5.4 coming with 0 dungeons, flex raiding crap instead or tuning NORMAL DIFFICULTY for NORMAL PLAYERS, etc shows that.
    So you pretty much ignored Blizzard saying lack of new 5 mans is an issue and that part of the new developers and artists they are hiring will be dedicated to 5 mans? Ok then. I said it before and I will say it again, it isn't Blizzard who is out of touch with the players, it is the players who are out of touch with not only reality but other players.

- - - Updated - - -

Honestly as much as I agree with the above it's not clear to me that even that will work anymore. Maybe it'll stem the bleeding at least? It may take something far more substantial to actually fix the game and keep players interested let alone bring players back.
    See here is the thing: the game isn't broken. Not for many, many players. It may be "broken" for you but it is not objectively broken. Not even remotely. Want to see what a broken game looks like? Take a look at vanilla wow.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    I think it's an example of how higher difficulty modes devalue lower ones. Flex raid tuning might be just great, by itself, but when there are two higher difficulty modes it may feel much less epic.
    Oh for the love of god...you can't possibly be serious. It is bad enough the wannabe hardcores are saying easier difficulties devalue harder difficulties but now you are stating the opposite? Could you possibly be any more ignorant? The various difficulty modes are meant for very specific audiences (and were player requested I might add) and nothing is getting devalued here and multiple playstyles are being supported as a result. Maybe if you could get past your blind irrational hatred of raiding you could see that but you are just as tunnel visioned as the wannabe hardcores.

- - - Updated - - -

No. We've gotten reduced raids as a result. It was okay for alot of folks because guess what they never did or never had any aspiration to raid.

Now we have big raids and no dungeons. Do you really need 13+ bosses in a raid to make it awesome? How bout just 6 or 7 bosses and a couple of dungeons? Or better yet how bout not shoving everybody into the same raid content on 4 difficulty levels just to squeeze as much as you can out of the content. How bout fuck raiding for a little bit or raiding take a back seat and the developers produce OTHER CONTENT with progression behind it..
    What? How are they "reduced"? You haters spent all of Cata bitching and whining and moaning about not enough bosses and that the raids aren't "epic" enough so Blizzard shifts resources only for you whiners to proceed to complain about lack of 5 mans. Give me a fucking break.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you read the whole post?
    Claiming someone "didn't read the post" is beyond arrogant. Ever think to consider the reason people disagree is because they have a differing viewpoint and not because they are dullards incapable of reading comprehension? why don't you read his post rather than dismiss it?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    No, but I wasn't speaking of myself, only a guess at why there's complaining.
    And yet again you have shown yourself to be completely entirely clueless to anything related to raids.

- - - Updated - - -

Oy vey their obsession with rng is another one. It's not even true that RNG is this huge thing in rpgs. Especially in so far as character progression is concerned. The emphasis on rng is just to much in warcraft right now, it extends to EVERYTHING and ultimately turns people off at all levels of play I think.
    Wow isn't the only mmo nor the only rpg that has rng mechanics. Let's not pretend otherwise. Just because all mmos and rpgs dont have it as a mechanic doesn't magically make it not common. Rather than bitch at Blizzard about rng how about actually suggesting alternatives?

I cant disagree more with this. Mist raiding has been the worse of any expansion except Cataclysm.

Mist killed half of its Normal raiding population in T14 (only half of the raiders that started T14 started T15). HoF insane difficulty destroyed them.

Mists is one of the worst thing that happened to Normal Raiding in WoW.
    This is complete bullshit. Sorry but it is and you know it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by twh View Post
    4 million subs gone. done to 3.7 million. Q1 of 2014, another 1.8 million gone. By the end of Q2 2014, there will be zero subs left.
    EQ1 is about to release its 20th expansion after nearly 15 years and their subscriptions were never above 750k. In fact I think for most of the past 15 years it hasn't been above 500k. Wow isn't going anywhere and it isn't dying anytime soon. I think it just may end up being the first mmo to outlive some of its original players.

Over 9,000. You can thank me later.
    Stay salty my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by arnoldr45 View Post
    I'm actually with you on this. The problem is is that Blizzard is focused more on the progression treadmill rather than fun.

The most recent blue post on arena completely validates this, they said that most people, and this includes me; stop doing arena after they're geared. I did enjoy the occasional premade battleground when I was a sub...but shit, why pay 15 dollars a month for a grind?

Blizzard has lost the vision for WoW ever since Wrath imo. Hopefully they can salvage it because it used to be a fun game for me.
    Progression may not be fun for all but it is fun for many and Blizzard isn't developing for just one play style and one type of player. They are developing for many. If they felt the content wasn't getting used by enough players they would stop developing it.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, Wrath was so much better. But then Blizzard listened to the minority of hardcores saying it was too easy and made 2 expansions that are a lot harder and also a lot less fun.
    This was a somewhat valid complaint in 5.0 but not 5.4. It makes me wonder if you have even logged into Wow since 5.4 or even 5.3. Pretty much every complaint about how Mop was "unfriendly" to alts or casuals has been addressed in the past few patches. I'm not sure what point there is to continue to endlessly harp on it when its been resolved.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Galaddriel View Post
    Indeed. Two months to rollout LFR = $30 for LFR
    And they wonder why they are losing players.
    You realize players can just unsub until all wings are open right? The wings are delayed because they are trying to match normal mode progression and for lore reasons I don't think Blizzard necessarily wanted the end cinematic for Siege to be seen within a few hours of 5.4 going live.

Deleted
    There are options for 0 to greater than one million. And other. Is 'other' for imaginary numbers or if we think there will be a sub gain?

Quote Originally Posted by Mulgore Sweet Potato View Post
    Is 'other' for imaginary numbers or if we think there will be a sub gain?
    At this point in time aren't they the same thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Conscience View Post
    Koreans can log into WoW for free now, with 5.4 released. The free period is in effect for everyone and lasts until next weekend.
    This was unexpected and will keep many accounts active. I wonder if new accounts will be treated as subscriptions?
    Don't even start. It is common knowledge that Blizzard only includes paying accounts in their subscription numbers.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hyphnos View Post
    Hopefully there are more players like my roommate who isn't resubbing until all of SoO is open for LFR. The delay is both insulting to LFR players and an obvious attempt to try to milk more sub time. If they actually believed the LFR was compelling content, they wouldn't really have to delay it's opening to stretch out subs for an extra month.
    It is a subscription based game. Of course Blizzard is going to "milk" it. How about we stop referring to things that are common sense with insulting terms? The fact that you are surprised a business is trying to make a profit is far more insulting than anything Blizzard could ever do or say. Like I said before, if this is an issue for some people they are more than welcome to unsub until LFR is completely open. Blizzard makes a profit either way.

Deleted
    When is next conference call?

Given at least a 6 month gap till the next expansion (and stiff competition from other gaming platforms) mists will likely be another net loss potentially bigger than Cataclysm. Just a question of how severe.
    The game is nearly 10 years old. It doesn't matter what Blizzard does. Even TBC 2.0 wouldn't bring people back long term. Now despite the substantial subscriber loss that is incoming, Wow will continue to be profitable and successful and that right there is what really burns you people up. Most of you seem to have this fantasy that there will be some magical number where Blizzard will decide enough is enough with the subscriber losses and come begging all the players they "abandoned" for forgiveness and offering to do anything and everything to get them back. In actuality Blizzard will just tell certain types of players to take a hike especially if what they want harms the long term future of the game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Farora View Post
    My prediction is that whatever number they will release, it will be wildly inflated with Asian 'subs' again. It wouldn't surprise me if EU + US combined is at less than 2 million by now.
    Paying accounts are paying accounts regardless of who they are, how much they pay, how they pay, why they pay, why they play, where they live, how many accounts they have and any other garbage you people come up with to try to downplay the numbers. The shareholders are interested in the bottom line which is profit and subscribers=profit. It really honest to god is just that simple. they don't give a fuck about the mindless agendas of those here on these forums.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cobaltius View Post
    Make no mistake Blizz fell in to that same trap with MoP, I get about 60fps in WoW except when I port in to Pandaira then my fps drops to 15-24fps ( with a crossfire set up), which is less than half of what I get in Rift with vastly superior graphic quality.

Blizzard severely compromised performance for a slight boost graphic quality, a very bad decision on their part. It also shows just how bad their graphics engine is, when a 7-8 year old game still can't be run with all the bells and whistles on a modern system.

If they want to extend this games life, perhaps the emphasis on the next expansion should be a new graphics engine.
    Blizzard has no choice but to gradually increase the system requirements of the game mostly for the simple fact that older hardware is no longer being supported not to mention the fact older operating systems are no longer being supported. Blizzard has to keep up with the technology much like anyone else. At the end of the day, the minimum system requirements for Wow are still dirt cheap and comparable to prices of similar systems from when Wow first launched.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Ok fine its set to start filming next year just like the few other times it was set to start filming...

Ill believe the wow movie will release when it release's...

With that said just because Blizzard may release a WOW movie dose not mean jack shit my point still stands. Gamers and others are tired of really bad Game to Movie makes what makes you think the WOW movie will do any better and also how will it fit in the LORE since wow's LORE is always changing. To me the movie if it even comes out is a cash grab nothing more and I have a gut feeling more people are going to hate it then like it. I did read that and I have read many times that it was set to be made and released in XXXX year so like I said ill believe its coming out when it finally dose.

Also people seem to forget you don't have to like World Of Warcraft to like its Lore there is the TGC now Hearthstone and the Books so people could watch the movie and go "hey I want to read the book" not play some 10 year old MMO with a 15$ a month subfee ontop of the cost of each Box.

I still feel wow is going to drop at lease 500k subs this quater and that is on the low.
    Was only pointing out what you got wrong, don't care about the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobaltius View Post
    They can't, else how can they make you have to avoid their most coveted boss fight mechanism "stepping/standing in something" that is used in almost every fight?
    That is pretty much every raid boss fight ever in every mmo. What do you suggest instead? In fact if you think you can do better, Blizzard is hiring so why don't you show them how its done? All this armchair developer arrogance is getting incredibly tiresome.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sandmoth12 View Post
    Gauging from the decrease of activity that I have seen on the servers that I play on, I think that wow is going to suffer more losses next quarter. Mostly because summer is over and schools and colleges are back in everywhere. I predict a loss of 600k-660k subs. Basically, the downward spiral continues.

And que fanboy defense mechanism in 3..2..1

[Infracted - Don't flamebait]
    And there is increased activity on the realms I play on. What does it mean? That players are shifting around due to the fact the last raid tier is out. it happens every raid tier. Yes there is subscriber loss but trying to pinpoint how much that loss is solely on realm activity is rather stupid and inaccurate. That isn't fanboyism, it is common sense something these forums are solely lacking.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    School is starting back up though, its only natural subs will drop as the tykes get back to class. Is it any wonder why EVERY DAMN GAME COMPANY in America releases games during the October-December timeframe? (Christmas and Black Friday, as well) Because games likely have a large drop in players. Not that the game/company is doing anything wrong, it just is what it is.
    Games are released year round and a significant amount of gamers are adults with full time jobs. Really just stop.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes I am serious what is happening in 2014 or 2015 has nothing to with Q3 2013. I would love for people to return to the game as it would mine and everyone else's experience better.

Haha! Good one! No one is going to spend over $100 on a Blizzcon ticket plus travel and accommodation if they are not already a Blizzard fan. The last Blizzcon did not result in increased subscribers why will this one?

My question was aimed how Hearthstone was going to attract new players to WOW, why would someone who is not already a Warcraft fan play Hearthstone over more established card games? And how is HS going to convert them to WOW players?

No it does not bother me that people like and support Blizzard products I like and support one of their products myself to the tune of £8.99 each month.
    What? I never said the people who go to Blizzcon aren't Blizzard fans. I simply stated many of them don't necessarily play Wow. Blizzcon is about more than Wow. You realize that right? It is one of the best ways Blizzard can cross promote all their games and expose them to a larger audience so it is rather ignorant to claim this won't have some effect on Wow subscriptions.