Skylanders giants/swap-force vs Disney Infinity (Wii U)

Pretty much what title says, whats the better option for someone who is young at heart. It'll be strictly for me and coop whenever a friend comes over occasionally.

I've tried skylanders, it wasn't horrible, but I've heard some conflicting views about disney infinity. I heard the toybox is pretty much money dependent, which is alright. I don't want to put in 100$ a month, but I can deal with putting in 10$ a week or 50$ a month for this game.

What I liked about skylanders is I could just change my character on the fly. I had the starter pack for an hour or so, but decided I'll just get the wii u version if I don't get infinity so I took it back (bought it used).

What are the major pro's to people owning skylanders/disney infinity on the wii u vs over consoles, and what con's are there, if any. Also what are the major differences in skylanders/disney infinity as far as content goes. Is toybox really infinite? Or is just a slewed term to say we have 50 combinations and we're adding smaller amounts if you pay unreasonable money for it.

Well I got both, Giants & Infinity, for my 8 (coming 9) year old brother. While he enjoyed the Giants game, like the previous one it, it seems to have little replay value for him. I did like the co-op it presented as it felt a bit like Gauntlet Legends arcade I used to play with my friends. But after beating the game...there wasn't much else to to, except maybe collect the rest of the items or some PvP. My favorite part of the Skylanders games are the childish comedy embedded in the campaign.

Infinity seems to have that toybox mode going for him. He's created 3 worlds, 1 Primary, and doing some really wacky stuff. With my help were building some form of Tower vs. Tower map. He was practically addicted to Minecraft so he seems to be the creative kind of child. The story mode is more open worldish than Skylanders. Go around killing some bad guys and collecting the xp and items, lack character depth.

To your other question: The toybox isn't that infinite, its more of a reorganizing of items in your inventory and the terrain. The items can be collected from the Story Mode, which I found quite cool. FYI I don't find the power discs worth it. If your going to get them, get them on sale and buy specific ones off of ebay or trade them in. It's extremely common to get duplicates as there are only 20 different ones out there (2 TRU exclusive).

Just my 2c
    Last edited by kail; 2013-09-21 at 04:10 AM.

Good feedback, I felt skylanders had this, I was hoping I was missing a difficulty mode or something extra. I heard there was something like 22 chapters.

At first you made toybox mode sound fun, then you made it sound poopy. So I'll watch some reviews on it specifically.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've got Infinity on the way for my kids but I don't think they'll like it as much as Skylanders. I keep getting the impression that Infinity is Skyrim without a story. Minecraft for kids. That sort of thing. I think it will be too aimless for my boys, but we'll see.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

I watched alot of videos of infinity last night and a few of skyrim. Skyrim seems to be an adventure type game where you can swap any character you want on the fly and sometimes get rewarded for it.

Infinity has a story mode for some of the disney universes. Currently the starter pack comes with incredibles, monsters university, and pirates of the caribbean. You can also buy cars and lone ranger playsets (story modes). What we know is already confirmed is toy story playset which has buzz & jessie, and woody sold separately. It also has frozen upcoming (the movie due in november) which I don't know if its a playset or just 2 characters.

Regardless infinity yes seems to have less of a story mode and more of a minecraft universe. I hope this changes, but its still not a bad idea. Skylanders story I hear has little replay value and with so many characters there needs to be replay value.

Do you mind if I ask what system you purchased infinity on?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Angarin View Post
    Do you mind if I ask what system you purchased infinity on?
    We're getting it for the xbox.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.