Thread: The UFC Thread

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerdoz View Post
    So soon it is time for the Swede to take our first belt! Too bad I can't watch the game live ;( anyone got any predictions?
    I would love nothing more than to see Jones lose, b/c he's a punk, but I don't think this will be the night. I worry about Gustaffson's ability to finish higher caliber opponents. Sure he's finished most of his UFC fights, but the last two against arguably higher tier talent were both decisions. Jones on the other hand has finished 6 out of the last 7 quality opponents.

I'd like nothing more than to see this happen, but I feel like it's going to be attempting to survive 5 rounds instead of looking to win in any of them. I hope I'm wrong though.
    Last edited by Kelimbror; 2013-09-20 at 10:02 PM.
    BAD WOLF

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Jones has so much reach it's very hard to bet against the dude

Quote Originally Posted by Zeoni View Post
    Jones has so much reach it's very hard to bet against the dude
    He's proved that he doesn't need the reach to beat someone, too. The reach advantage is important against some fighters, but you could throw in someone who outreaches Jones and he'll find a way to beat him. He's just too good at what he does. Gustaffson, unless Jones makes a serious error, probably won't win this fight. The good news is that it usually takes Jones a couple rounds to beat someone, so we probably won't get a ten second fight. It will be an awesome show.

Sweden isn't taking this. Nothing Gustaffson has done has shown that he has the skills to compete with this guy. I'd like to see Jones go to heavyweight so that people can find a new reason that Jones is beating people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyzzyx View Post
    I'd like to see Jones go to heavyweight so that people can find a new reason that Jones is beating people.
    I'd like to see him drop down and get schooled on the mat.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    I'd like to see him drop down and get schooled on the mat.
    I agree, but the problem is that on the mat he's probably more dangerous than on his feet... So it isn't going to happen unless he breaks his body before going down.

On the bright side, I might make it through a beer before the fight is over - more than I can say for the last few main events on Saturdays.

Oooh, I think the best possible ending to this is a win by armbar or kimura. I think if Jones won by armbar it would be absolutely perfect, both throwing it in the face of the "Greatness Within Reach" tag, and making up for almost losing by armbar against Belfort; or if Gustaffson won by armbar/kimura it would do the same for him, showing that he could in fact do what nobody but Sweden thinks he can do.
    Last edited by Zyzzyx; 2013-09-21 at 05:44 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree, but the problem is that on the mat he's probably more dangerous than on his feet... So it isn't going to happen unless he breaks his body before going down.
    There are people below his weight class that would dominate him on the ground. He's only dangerous to slow, less than excellent people down there. I mean look at his matches, it's not like he's fought a ground superstar ever. His division isn't really filled with them either. I have a funny feeling if he went up or down he would face someone that shows him what is what.

I may be biased b/c I'd love to see his arm unsocketed or his jaw rocked by a 250 pound beast. Probably just wishful thinking skewing my perception of the other classes.
    BAD WOLF

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Fight of the year or fight of the year? That was fucking AWESOME.

That was unfuckingREAL!!!!!!!! Yo 49-46 though? What fucking fight was that judge watching? I had 3 rounds to 2 in favor of gustafsson, but still holy shit I can't stop cursing that fight was too good!

Quote Originally Posted by pmgbro View Post
    That was unfuckingREAL!!!!!!!! Yo 49-46 though? What fucking fight was that judge watching? I had 3 rounds to 2 in favor of gustafsson, but still holy shit I can't stop cursing that fight was too good!
    I was holding a good piss the entire time. I was just waiting for Jones to do something awesome...and it never happened. I guess the judges were struck hard by that fourth round, because Gustaffson pushed him to the damn limit every other round. He had some good strikes, but Gustaffson had the first takedown he's ever seen. It didn't go anywhere, but I think it really put him off. Just amazed, the Swede deserves another fight. I don't know how much the reach had, or how much Jones was just taken back by getting hurt. I think the main thing to take from this is that Jones looked human for the first time. Kudos to Gustaffson for what could have been a win. I want to see a finish between these two.

10+ Year Old Account
    May of been one of the best fights I have ever seen. Incredible, from 1st round to the 5th. I'm pretty sure it was a draw, imo though. I thought Jones won, but I won't argue with anyone that says Gus won.

Fuck I need to go back and watch round 2. That was the key. Still, takes nothing away from this fight. Just incredible.
    | Happiness is the best revenge |

Quote Originally Posted by Mongler View Post
    May of been one of the best fights I have ever seen. Incredible, from 1st round to the 5th. I'm pretty sure it was a draw, imo though. I thought Jones won, but I won't argue with anyone that says Gus won.

Fuck I need to go back and watch round 2. That was the key. Still, takes nothing away from this fight. Just incredible.
    The way I saw it... Gustaffson landed more great punches, Jones hit more kicks to the head and a couple elbows. There just wasn't much else going on. Nothing happened on the ground. It was straight up who hit the other guy more. I think by the end, Gustaffson was looking physically drained, where just another punch could take him down, yet it was Jones who got taken out of the arena in dramatic fashion. It really does show that Jones doesn't go down until the bell has rung. Gustaffson was somehow the guy who made it out alive, yet Jones looked like he could have taken it even when he had no eyes or mouth left.

Amazing how matched these guys are. I don't think it was entirely the reach, I just think they were a fantastic pairing even if not too much really happened.

It's funny how when you finally find two guys who can really duke it out it's Jones/Gustaffson or Silva/Weidman, where people are going to be in an uproar no matter the outcome.

10+ Year Old Account
    The way I saw it... Gustaffson landed more great punches, Jones hit more kicks to the head and a couple elbows. There just wasn't much else going on. Nothing happened on the ground. It was straight up who hit the other guy more. I think by the end, Gustaffson was looking physically drained, where just another punch could take him down, yet it was Jones who got taken out of the arena in dramatic fashion. It really does show that Jones doesn't go down until the bell has rung. Gustaffson was somehow the guy who made it out alive, yet Jones looked like he could have taken it even when he had no eyes or mouth left.

Amazing how matched these guys are. I don't think it was entirely the reach, I just think they were a fantastic pairing even if not too much really happened.

It's funny how when you finally find two guys who can really duke it out it's Jones/Gustaffson or Silva/Weidman, where people are going to be in an uproar no matter the outcome.
    Bingo. Don't go to fucking Sherdog if you want to see the biggest group of Jones haters I have ever seen. They're blinded in their ragehaze to see the beauty of this fight and what it means (and says) for both guys. I have nothing but love for them. Both are amazing, and I just heard on the Post-Fight Press Conference that depending on the health of them, a rematch could go down Super Bowl weekend - picture perfect. I know Glover was promised Jones next, but this was an exemplary exception to that.

Bingo. Don't go to fucking Sherdog if you want to see the biggest group of Jones haters I have ever seen. They're blinded in their ragehaze to see the beauty of this fight and what it means (and says) for both guys. I have nothing but love for them. Both are amazing, and I just heard on the Post-Fight Press Conference that depending on the health of them, a rematch could go down Super Bowl weekend - picture perfect. I know Glover was promised Jones next, but this was an exemplary exception to that.
    Totally agree. I don't think anything was decided here tonight...there has to be a rematch. It was way too close for either man to be done yet. I want to how either man adapts to the style they just saw, and goes for broke on that weekend. Number two will be the real test of both men. If Gustaffson can take him down again, and then do something with it, he may just be the next #1 guy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Totally agree. I don't think anything was decided here tonight...there has to be a rematch. It was way too close for either man to be done yet. I want to how either man adapts to the style they just saw, and goes for broke on that weekend. Number two will be the real test of both men. If Gustaffson can take him down again, and then do something with it, he may just be the next #1 guy.
    I've thought for a while on how Gus may be the toughest challenge for Jones before he blew up. When he fought Thiago, I noted the size and reach comparison to Jones, and always was hypothetical on a matchup - even though not many people thought he had a chance. Tonight answered that question. He's a great fighter, and an even greater guy outside of the cage. His record before tonight was pretty much identical to Jones. He's like his mirror image, and now he's got the recognition to go along with that. What better way to blow up than going in a 5 round epic war with arguably the future GOAT, eh? lol

But yes, next fight will definitely determine the best guy in that division. And it can't get here soon enough.

I've thought for a while on how Gus may be the toughest challenge for Jones before he blew up. When he fought Thiago, I noted the size and reach comparison to Jones, and always was hypothetical on a matchup - even though not many people thought he had a chance. Tonight answered that question. He's a great fighter, and an even greater guy outside of the cage. His record before tonight was pretty much identical to Jones. He's like his mirror image, and now he's got the recognition to go along with that. What better way to blow up than going in a 5 round epic war with arguably the future GOAT, eh? lol

But yes, next fight will definitely determine the best guy in that division. And it can't get here soon enough.
    I was thinking that too...they basically balanced each other out, even if everyone, including me, thought Jones outmatched him in every way. He got into his head. I think the best part was when they were done, they acknowledged each other. Jones is pretty well known for basically ignoring everyone, but I think Gustaffson earned his respect tonight. I really hope Jones doesn't downplay G's performance. That'd be a huge dick move, considering how hard he pushed him tonight.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was thinking that too...they basically balanced each other out, even if everyone, including me, thought Jones outmatched him in every way. He got into his head. I think the best part was when they were done, they acknowledged each other. Jones is pretty well known for basically ignoring everyone, but I think Gustaffson earned his respect tonight. I really hope Jones doesn't downplay G's performance. That'd be a huge dick move, considering how hard he pushed him tonight.
    He better not downplay him. A lot of people thought he lost that, and he was sent to the hospital for god sakes lol. Alex may be a bit down, mentally, right now, but he has no reason to. And if he does act like it was nothing...then he's gonna teach Jon another thing.

That 4th round had to be one of the best displays of will by gustafsson I have ever witnessed. Man I'm mad at the cards because they kind of killed the end of the fight hype for me. Glover Teixiera gets jones next, but I really want a rematch. Did anyone see jones being barely able to walk out of the arena? I heard he had to go out on a stretcher. Definitely doesn't sound like a fighter who took 4 rounds according to 1 card lol. The card in November is fucking stacked though. I cannot wait for Sonnen vs. Evand and especially Hendrix vs GSP. I want Hendrix to win so bad. His knockout potential is insane.

That 4th round had to be one of the best displays of will by gustafsson I have ever witnessed. Man I'm mad at the cards because they kind of killed the end of the fight hype for me. Glover Teixiera gets jones next, but I really want a rematch. Did anyone see jones being barely able to walk out of the arena? I heard he had to go out on a stretcher. Definitely doesn't sound like a fighter who took 4 rounds according to 1 card lol. The card in November is fucking stacked though. I cannot wait for Sonnen vs. Evand and especially Hendrix vs GSP. I want Hendrix to win so bad. His knockout potential is insane.
    He was likely limping out because Gustaffson actually checked a couple kicks. Checking kicks hurts like hell, and nobody really ever did it to Jones. That was probably part of the reason Jones wasn't throwing as many as usual - he was hurting. Both guys showed will in the end, Gustaffson has a hell of a tolerance for taking some of those shots to the head without giving up. Those kicks would have floored many other guys.

Glover should just be put on the back burner until these guys settle the score. His win on Bader wasn't nearly as important as getting these two back together.

I also love how polarized people are about these fights. Go to Reddit, Bleacherreport, MSN, it doesn't matter; you'll see the same people crying foul no matter what the decision. Those in Gustaffson's camp are screaming about how he was cheated, and those in Jones' camp are screaming about how he took it anyway. Unless you've got huge money on these fights, grow the hell up. Two great fighters threw punches and kicks, and one took the decision. Maybe it should have been split, but maybe not. Until we see #2 and/or #3, it's one to nothing.
    Last edited by Zyzzyx; 2013-09-22 at 07:55 AM.

Deleted
    Oh well... I have not watched the whole fight but from what I have seen and read, Gustaffson will take the rematch, his skill is increasing so much every time he steps in the octagon!

I wont call bs on the outcome because I am waaay to biased

10+ Year Old Account
    The card in November is fucking stacked though. I cannot wait for Sonnen vs. Evand and especially Hendrix vs GSP. I want Hendrix to win so bad. His knockout potential is insane.
    I'm super pumped for that one. I'm a GSP fan, but even I admit as beautiful as he is to watch that a lot of his fights have been rather boring. I'm not looking to see him get KOd, but to actually finish someone. Maybe he needs a shocking loss like Matt Sera to recharge his drive and make him start being a little risky and more exciting though, who knows?

The whole card is shaping up to be fantastic though, you're right.
    BAD WOLF