10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by squeeze View Post
    Exactly. He's just "doing a Tera"!
    Doing a TERA , even if it means just the model itself would be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by squeeze View Post
    Exactly. He's just "doing a Tera"!
    I did not see any sexy half naked men while playing so he can't "do a TERA"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    He's not looking at life though, he's looking at 'long enough'. In other words, the year before it goes F2P.
    no he's looking at subscription numbers and having 200,000 subs makes the same amount of money as selling 6m retail copies if given "long enough".. its pretty obvious but its more common sense than an admission of a plan to go free to play.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    I did not see any sexy half naked men while playing so he can't "do a TERA"
    Thank goodness.

(WTB no half naked women, either.)
    Pokemon FC: 5112-3501-2407 Trainer: Oli FS: Viscoe - Farfetch'd/Hoothoot/Rufflet - Currently Full, DO NOT ADD
    Secondary 3DS: 3668-8923-2263 FS: Slider - Phanpy/Camerupt/Diggersby

WTB no half naked women, either
    ahahahahaha

no, sorry thats always gonna be there

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I agree Viscoe. I'd prefer they leave all that stuff as well.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Viscoe View Post
    Thank goodness.

(WTB no half naked women, either.)
    So just fully naked?

heh so much hate. i for one cant wait till it comes out and blows everyones mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Xecks View Post
    heh so much hate. i for one cant wait till it comes out and blows everyones mind.
    It's sort of hard to blow our minds when we are playing it already...
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

All the haters conveniently choose to ignore the valid reason he gives in defense of the hybrid model:

As a publisher it’s a juggling act because most the games I’ve seen end up devolving to the point that 1 or 2% of the players are paying $100 or more a month and they’re actually funding most of the free players, which can be up to 70 - 80% playing completely for free. As a publisher [that variabililty] can be distracting because when you’re making money you never know when that’s going to go away. As a player it’s distracting because generally you have a very different experience if you’re playing for free - and if not, then why the hell pay?
    You have a fractured playerbase with free players playing a much different game than the spenders. Developers are handcuffed into appeasing the 20% of spenders at the expense of the other 80% of free players.

Having a steady, equal income flow from all players instead of a relying on a tiny minority allows devs a lot more freedom in design choices, which is ultimately going to lead to a better product.

The other thing no one seems to understand is that despite f2p/b2p being the hot fad today, that model does not work with every game. GW2 is the poster boy for b2p, but one should not think that because that game is fairly successful as b2p that another will be too. Gw2 is the perfect game for b2p, its extremely casual and its cosmetic progression system works very well with a cash shop. WS is neither of those things. Its a hardcore MMO (by todays standards), with a vertical, statistical progression system; something that does not play well with a cash shop unless you just want a blatant p2w game.

I think the hybrid model is a great system for this type of game; I think Carbine is really banking on becoming the MMO of choice for hardcore raiders. And they are striking at the right time for that with the hardcore crowd from WoW becoming more and more disenchanted with that game. WS isn't going to start as the "MMO of the people" like GW2 (which is what many people on this forum seem to want it to be). Its going to be more niche in the vein of EvE, but with substantially more potential to grow into something more mainstream due to the art style, housing, and yet to be seen solo content.

*~To change one's life: Start immediately. Do it flamboyantly.~*

Quote Originally Posted by Bardarian View Post
    It's sort of hard to blow our minds when we are playing it already...
    ahh . well screw you .

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    ahahahahaha

no, sorry thats always gonna be there
    I actually quite liked how armor was done in XIV. I actually might reroll my toon to be a girl when I buy a month of gametime. I always expect it to be there, and I never roll female toons because of it (I don't enjoy being half naked, my poor little character would be freezing all the time!) so when I saw all my female tanks with ACTUAL ARMOR ON I was astounded and impressed.

I can only hope WildStar does the same. It may not... if so, I'll just play males. Again.
    Pokemon FC: 5112-3501-2407 Trainer: Oli FS: Viscoe - Farfetch'd/Hoothoot/Rufflet - Currently Full, DO NOT ADD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xecks View Post
    I hope you don't actually expect that, otherwise i got a story to tell you...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by waddlez View Post
    So just fully naked?
    Not what I meant. D:

Quote Originally Posted by ShimmerSwirl View Post
    The other thing no one seems to understand is that despite f2p/b2p being the hot fad today, that model does not work with every game. GW2 is the poster boy for b2p, but one should not think that because that game is fairly successful as b2p that another will be too. Gw2 is the perfect game for b2p, its extremely casual and its cosmetic progression system works very well with a cash shop. WS is neither of those things. Its a hardcore MMO (by todays standards), with a vertical, statistical progression system; something that does not play well with a cash shop unless you just want a blatant p2w game.
    Same playerbase as somewhat LOTRO, RIFT and SWTOR. Only that these games gone f2p with different sub-based possibilities and item-shops.. And these games still exists! W* is trying to hit excactly the same playerbase with the addition of singleplayer endgame and the return to 40man raids.

Those who still play wow will play wow further. Its a huge game with long tradition and a heavily moneysink for those who already played it for years. Those players have their social community in these games. And thats one of the strongest bonds I encountered. Only those who already want to quit, will quit wow. I dont think there will be a "wow"-killer ever...

However, every named game has flaws that does pain some of the playerbase. If W* manages to shine at these specific points, they con hook some players. But I just dont see them to actually do that...

Deleted
    Interesting that they pretty much admit the milking part. Obvious to me, and also I understand it a little... because they will launch the game in a time where they "can". There is no big f2p-launch hitting market anytime soon. ESO subfee, FF that just launched subfee, we dont know archeage but it started in korea as subfee so wouldnt rule it out... Why would they launch with f2p when they can go on milkin spree?
    But f2p will most likely happen one day, and the sad thing to players out there is that we wont know what f2p-model they will choose... is it closer to star wars or closer to Rift?
    I know for sure that I will wait and see. I like the content, as pvp player it's the only promising pvp any new mmo offer and also compete with pvp in current mmos. However graphics feel more like Wow than new fresh like GW2 epicness, which to me automatically put it in f2p-category in terms of market worth.
    Getting more sceptical to game and company behind it as well... and if it means Im stuck with dota 2 and the mmos already out there... I will survive =) But in a stale mmo market as it is today, it's a shame to see game companies taking advantage out of it in greed rather then success, Im not blaming them but still.. a shame

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Business is in it for the money! More news at 3 pm.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

A subscription has never been the defining feature that made me play/not play an MMO. I'm not going to feed you some bullshit about how awesome my social life is or what gigantic responsibilities I shoulder every day and how busy I am; I'm a hardcore gamer. Some people ski, some folks work on cars, I play games. When I dig an MMO, it takes up most of my gaming mind-share. I may casually play a single player game (like an FPS) on the side during downtime. If the game is good enough, and I get 30+ hours of play a week I have no problems paying $15 a month for the right game. Hell, in the right game, "Legends" or Premium servers that offer no queues, more GM support, live world events, 2 week lead time on content patches etc is something I absolutely would pay more for.

I'm not alone and at some stage someone is going to want our business instead of trying to attract and retain the un-retainable (by definition) casual players that FTP brings in.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Frenegade42 View Post
    A subscription has never been the defining feature that made me play/not play an MMO. I'm not going to feed you some bullshit about how awesome my social life is or what gigantic responsibilities I shoulder every day and how busy I am; I'm a hardcore gamer. Some people ski, some folks work on cars, I play games. When I dig an MMO, it takes up most of my gaming mind-share. I may casually play a single player game (like an FPS) on the side during downtime. If the game is good enough, and I get 30+ hours of play a week I have no problems paying $15 a month for the right game. Hell, in the right game, "Legends" or Premium servers that offer no queues, more GM support, live world events, 2 week lead time on content patches etc is something I absolutely would pay more for.

I'm not alone and at some stage someone is going to want our business instead of trying to attract and retain the un-retainable (by definition) casual players that FTP brings in.
    Except from looking at Wildstar it doesnt seem like a hardcore game. Sure, some remember wow 40-man raids as hardcore in purest shape and therefor wildstar 40-man raids == purest of hardcore. But at least my glance on Wildstar says that it's not aiming for hardcores only, but that they offer many ways of the game... a bit like play like you want and casual got plenty of place in the game as well. So, I cant see f2p-players having no place in a game like Wildstar, can you and if so why?

Quote Originally Posted by Frenegade42 View Post
    I agree completely and am in the same boat. Me and my wife are gamers, its our main hobby and we put in 30+ hours a week into it. We only play MMOs and sometimes two at a time (raiding in WoW currently and FF14). I would pay 2X the subscription amount for the things mentioned. Payment model doesn't make or break the game, its the actual game that matters.

I never spend money in the in game cash shops, I actually hate having to deal with a cash shop to get items for the game. I find it to be an annoyance and microtransactions from an in game cash shop are just a way to trick people who are terrible with money into spending more of it. “You really can’t afford this new game for $15 a month? Well what if I told you it was only 50 cents A DAY?”

I absolutely hate games designed as F2P for this reason. Even buy 2 play was moderately annoying, I have to buy bag space? Character slots? WTF is up with that.

If Wildstar is good all the way through, people will pay to play it, end of story. Even those in this thread saying they won’t, you wouldn’t be following this post over time and providing your opinions if the game didn’t intrigue you. If it ends up coming up short (most likely to happen at end game) then somewhere down the road they will switch over to the F2P model to draw in more customers and stay afloat.

It looks to be aimed at MMO players looking for a challenge, which is a good thing IMO. If they focus on end game and bring complementary side content (housing ect) it could end up being a really solid game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    So, I cant see f2p-players having no place in a game like Wildstar, can you and if so why?
    Because F2P players won't buy the game and subscribe to play it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    Except from looking at Wildstar it doesnt seem like a hardcore game. Sure, some remember wow 40-man raids as hardcore in purest shape and therefor wildstar 40-man raids == purest of hardcore.
    The amount of people in a raid does not make it more difficult by default so 40 man raids does not make anything hardcore. I ran 80 players raids in everquest without any voice communication software strictly through typing, it wasnt hardcore it was simply just more organization and frustration.

Watching the developers talk about their content and walking through the dungeon they are looking to make the content difficult. Complex encounters, cooperation, and specific tactics to be executed. They seem to want to capture MMO players who enjoy raiding and want the content to be difficult but fresh.