Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    Have they ever actually prevented what they were trying to prevent in the long run, or have they always just been political theater?
    Publicity isn't always a bad thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WNYIRISHGUY View Post
    politian can whatever they want " to me is just a show " so they drive a point to america about how one party disagree with the other and the prez

time check 10.54pm
    *squints* I'm not sure if I translated that correctly, but a politician doesn't need to hold up procedure for however long just to make a political point. There are a zillion more effective ways to get that point out the people than a filibuster.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Publicity isn't always a bad thing.
    See my comment to WNYIRISHGUY -- addresses this as well.
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

*squints* I'm not sure if I translated that correctly, but a politician doesn't need to hold up procedure for however long just to make a political point. There are a zillion more effective ways to get that point out the people than a filibuster.

- - - Updated - - -

See my comment to WNYIRISHGUY -- addresses this as well.
    You know, for an Irish guy he certainly doesn't speak English very well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    You know, for an Irish guy he certainly doesn't speak English very well.
    west new york Irish guy.... basically a northern red neck, they aren't all in the South you know
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

I wonder if he'll read more Dr. Seuss?

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    while on cpan 1 we talking about : Health Care State Insurance Exchanges

Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    west new york Irish guy.... basically a northern red neck, they aren't all in the South you know
    Yeah I know but seriously aren't all of the conservatives usually saying that if you live in this country you must learn English?

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Matchles View Post
    I wonder if he'll read more Dr. Seuss?
    Maybe one of senator read to him " cat in a hats ? "

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    Yeah I know but seriously aren't all of the conservatives usually saying that if you live in this country you must learn English?
    cut the BS is hard to contrated " ah my brain hurt "

So exactly how do you stop somebody filibustering?

Does it come down to pouring a gallon of water into a bucket very slowly and hoping the guy suddenly needs a pee?

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I got to ask how may senator are in the chamber with mr.cruz right now ?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post

Does it come down to pouring a gallon of water into a bucket very slowly and hoping the guy suddenly needs a pee?
    As i said i hope he got a pillow and blanket and some 5 hrs energy !

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Apparently he's going to be required to yield the floor tomorrow for a procedural vote, so his filibuster has a set end time even if he doesn't collapse first.

It's all just theater.
    Forum badass alert:
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

What a tool, though this will probably garner brownie points with the tea party base. Can't pass up the chance to get a head politically even with the countries future at stack for it.

I completely thought this thread was going to be about Senator Cruz attempting to launch a line of 'Congressional Watches!'. Maybe instead of hour hands half the day could say 'NO!' and the other half could say 'FILLIBUSTER!'?

Also, an entertaining post here here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...zs-filibuster/
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WNYIRISHGUY View Post
    Maybe one of senator read to him " cat in a hats ? "

- - - Updated - - -

cut the BS is hard to contrated " ah my brain hurt "
    I have no idea what you are talking about. Orbit is right anyone in America should be able to read and write in basic English.
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently he's going to be required to yield the floor tomorrow for a procedural vote, so his filibuster has a set end time even if he doesn't collapse first.

It's all just theater.
    So let me understand this. A Fillibuster is

"NO YOU CAN'T TALK/DEBATE THIS /HARRUMPH SHUT UP11111"

Is that what it is?
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    People loved it when the other guy did it awhile back.... whats different this time?

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post

Is that what it is?
    A filibuster is where the minority has enough votes to prevent the majority from forcing a vote (I believe in the Senate it is 60 or 61), but the majority has enough votes to pass the legislation (51, simple majority, in the Senate), so a person from the minority is able to take the floor in front of the Senate and talk (and it is supposed to be on topic) about the subject, in the hopes of swaying the minds of those planning to vote for it.

In todays hyper-partisan Congress, it is highly unlikely minds will be swayed, and as far as I can tell Cruz is whining about how Congress should do whatever the American People say they should, while ignoring the fact that the majority of the American people don't want a government shutdown, especially over Obamacare.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    People loved it when the other guy did it awhile back.... whats different this time?
    What other guy? Strom Thurman when he filibustered a civil rights bill? Or Rand Paul filibustering because Holder wasn't able to say 'we will never use Drones inside the US' because that is a stupid statement that ties the hands of the US Military? Or are you talking about Whats-her-face in Texas who filibustered the Texas GOP's legislation to shut down all planned parenthood centers in their Jihad against women?
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

10+ Year Old Account
    I pretty much think all filibusters are stupid. The idea that you are preventing something from being debated or voted upon seems breathtakingly anti-democratic.
    Anti-democratic isn't necessarily a bad thing all the time. Just because a decision is arrived at democratically doesn't automatically make it the correct one.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Filibusters are a double edged sword. They're great when they're on your side, not so much in the reverse scenario.
    And are tainted by bias and hypocrisy. One filibuster to help stop a bill that infringed on women's rights in Texas (I think) was ended due to "the speaker going off topic" - and two of the things she was accused of going off topic with were infact related topics.

Whether or not they are a good method of 'democracy' isn't really a question when its not even treated fairly.

- - - Updated - - -

Or are you talking about Whats-her-face in Texas who filibustered the Texas GOP's legislation to shut down all planned parenthood centers in their Jihad against women?
    Yeah, that one. She wasn't off topic at all, yet was accused of being off topic. Utter bullshit, thus making the filibuster a worthless endevour in the first place when it can be casually tossed aside anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post

Is that what it is?
    Historically, a filibuster has been associated with holding the floor of a legislative body and refusing to relinquish it, thereby extending "debate" on a particular motion until the body is adjourned (and thereby preventing any votes from taking place), but its been nearly a century since that's actually been the case in the United States Senate. In its modern usage, a filibuster entails denying the Senate "cloture," a process to bring debate to an end and vote on the measure being debated. In order for the Senate to achieve cloture, 3/5ths of the body (60 Senators) needs to affirmatively vote to end debate. In other words, no one actually has to hold the floor and speak in order to filibuster anything, all you need is 41 Senators to vote "No" on a cloture vote. The so-called "talking filibuster" is only used by Senators to get public attention; in and of itself, it has zero impact on whether or not legislation is held up.

And, yes, it should be abolished. The Senate itself, too. Useless institution that's never been more than a bourgeois House of Lords with actual power to screw things up.
    Last edited by Slybak; 2013-09-25 at 03:40 AM.