Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Durandro View Post
    And are tainted by bias and hypocrisy. One filibuster to help stop a bill that infringed on women's rights in Texas (I think) was ended due to "the speaker going off topic" - and two of the things she was accused of going off topic with were infact related topics.

Whether or not they are a good method of 'democracy' isn't really a question when its not even treated fairly.
    Wait wait wait. Are you trying to tell me that talking about the 'morning after pill', which was dispensed by Planned Parenthood, (which ironically gives contraception out for free/reduced prices to the poor, those people the GOP think should stop breeding) was not off topic when filibustering a bill that was going to close all but one of the Planned Parenthoods in the state, many because of the width of their hallways?

I just can't believe that.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    Have they ever actually prevented what they were trying to prevent in the long run, or have they always just been political theater?
    There are some cases where they were able to force compromises with filibusters. Usually though a filibuster is a last ditched effort that's more raising awareness than actual blocking.

In reality killing a bill procedurally, before it ever comes to a vote, has been far more successful as far as I can tell.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love real filibusters no matter who does them
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    I love real filibusters no matter who does them

A True Warchief doesn't use fake filibusters?
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Have they ever actually prevented what they were trying to prevent in the long run, or have they always just been political theater?
    In the Senate they do at least until the party that supports the bill has a 60% majority. In the silent filibuster rules, all someone has to say is that they will do it and the bill is shelved. If you filibuster by talking, the bill is either delayed until you are done or if the party is somehow able to continue the filibuster long enough, the other side will just give up so they dont have to listen to you anymore. The old method takes more effort and is less effective which is probably why it doesnt happen very much anymore.

Herald of the Titans
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Step 1: Paint everyone who disagrees with Cruz as "Big Gummint fanbois"
    Step 2: Accuse everyone who doesn't like the filibuster of hypocrisy without knowing what they think about Davis's filibuster.

Seems pretty much business as usual.
    it seems to work well enough for you..
    the most beautiful post I have ever read.. thank you Dr-1337 http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post22624432

Quote Originally Posted by ishootblanks View Post
    it seems to work well enough for you..
    Wells is painting people as 'big gummint fanbois' and then accusing anyone who doesn't like Cruz' filibuster of hypocrisy?

Please, show me where Wells has stated or even implied that?
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

Herald of the Titans
    15+ Year Old Account
    Apparently he's going to be required to yield the floor tomorrow for a procedural vote, so his filibuster has a set end time even if he doesn't collapse first.

It's all just theater.
    the whole point of the filibuster is to force the vote.. Harry Reid has been cherry picking what is or is not voted on for the last couple of years.. he intentionally will not allow votes on legislation that does not help democrats politically..
    the most beautiful post I have ever read.. thank you Dr-1337 http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post22624432

the whole point of the filibuster is to force the vote....
    And... you don't know what a filibuster is.
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like filibusters for a couple reasons:
    1. Mr. Smith goes to Washington was a great movie.
    2. Anyone congressman passionate enough about an issue to speak continuously for hours on end should be allowed to do so.
    3. It forces congressmen to actually stick around and think about the thing they are voting on, rather than repeating the party line as quickly as possible so they can get back to the country club.
    4. Mr Smith goes to Washington was a reeeeeeeally good movie. And frankly you shouldn't be allowed to hold office if you haven't seen it.

Quote Originally Posted by Prokne View Post
    In the Senate they do at least until the party that supports the bill has a 60% majority. In the silent filibuster rules, all someone has to say is that they will do it and the bill is shelved. If you filibuster by talking, the bill is either delayed until you are done or if the party is somehow able to continue the filibuster long enough, the other side will just give up so they dont have to listen to you anymore. The old method takes more effort and is less effective which is probably why it doesnt happen very much anymore.
    The silent filibuster doesn't exist because people are too lazy to actually do it, it exists because their opponents are too lazy to sit through it. IT allows them to find legislation they can pass easily and get it through rather than challenging a filibuster every week.

10+ Year Old Account
    Silent filibuster shouldn't be a thing. You should have to work for it!

Herald of the Titans
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    Silent filibuster shouldn't be a thing. You should have to work for it!
    this is why Republicans were slaughtered in 2006.. the party turned on them because Democrats would just raise their hand and announce a filibuster and republicans would just abandon whatever piece of legislation they were trying to vote on..

10+ Year Old Account
    this is why Republicans were slaughtered in 2006.. the party turned on them because Democrats would just raise their hand and announce a filibuster and republicans would just abandon whatever piece of legislation they were trying to vote on..
    And that's a damn shame, really. There's no sport in it. I say if you want to filibuster bad enough, you get out on the damn floor and you talk until you drop over dead. Regardless of political affiliation, I hold only the highest respect for any man who actually does that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiricine View Post
    The silent filibuster doesn't exist because people are too lazy to actually do it, it exists because their opponents are too lazy to sit through it. IT allows them to find legislation they can pass easily and get it through rather than challenging a filibuster every week.
    True it makes it easier for both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    And that's a damn shame, really. There's no sport in it. I say if you want to filibuster bad enough, you get out on the damn floor and you talk until you drop over dead. Regardless of political affiliation, I hold only the highest respect for any man who actually does that.

I did just post on this, but it isn't the person attempting to filibuster that backs down, its the party that doesn't want to get filibustered against. They want to protect the floor because it basically gives their opponents national coverage for a period of time where all eyes are on them. Think of it as an NFL sports team turning down challenges from high school sports teams--- its not becuase theyre afraid theyre going to lose, its because they don't think its worth the effort.

15+ Year Old Account
    O.O

Did you mix up the parties perhaps? Something like 70-80% of all filibusters since the 1970's have been performed by Republican senators - Democrats almost never filibuster by comparison - and when they do - it hardly ever kills an issue (I can't even think of a single time that was true?).
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

the whole point of the filibuster is to force the vote.. Harry Reid has been cherry picking what is or is not voted on for the last couple of years.. he intentionally will not allow votes on legislation that does not help democrats politically..
    Thats his job as Senate Majority leader. No conservative leaning bills would make it through anyway. Hardly any progressive bills make it through and they have the majority of the seats.

John Boehner does the same thing in the house. The real problem is lack of compromise legislation.

Herald of the Titans
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    O.O

Did you mix up the parties perhaps? Something like 70-80% of all filibusters since the 1970's have been performed by Republican senators - Democrats almost never filibuster by comparison - and when they do - it hardly ever kills an issue (I can't even think of a single time that was true?).
    well considering only the minority party can filibuster you are correct.. 2002-2006 was one of the few periods in which democrats did not have full control of congress.. but yes.. Democrats filibustered constantly during this period because they know Republicans would not challenge them on it..

- - - Updated - - -

Thats his job as Senate Majority leader. No conservative leaning bills would make it through anyway. Hardly any progressive bills make it through and they have the majority of the seats.

John Boehner does the same thing in the house. The real problem is lack of compromise legislation.
    Reid is not allowing on important stuff though.. LIKE THE @#$%ING BUDGET!!!

Reid is not allowing on important stuff though.. LIKE THE @#$%ING BUDGET!!!
    I'm sure you don't realize or care while spouting your rhetoric, but the very thing Cruz is filibustering is 'THE $*#&ING BUDGET!!!' bill. You know, the one that a majority of people want to be passed because they don't want a government shutdown and having our credit rating lowered again, so a minority party can keep its minority voting bloc happy?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.