Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable View Post
    Don't listen to this. All nonsense.
    It actually isn't, I have been told by numerous people before and during when I was losing weight that cheat day isn't a bad thing and neither is soda, I eat really healthy and go to the gym 4-5 times a week, you do need fat in your body still and having a cheat meal or a day where you can go off you strict diet will not hurt your weight loss and it's being realistic you don't expect to never eat that junk food again do you? I didn't think so, I have weeks where I don't have cheat days but I usually have takeaway or something once a week. So please don't reply when you probably don't know anything about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you are fat enough to need to diet you love food. Less calories = more weight loss. No cheat day then should mean more weight loss. But that only holds true if you can keep doing that diet, and I feel a cheat day helps you stay on that path, because if you love food you need to indulge, you need to get some happiness out of it, and if you can limit to 1 day a week you will still lose weight, and be happier for it, and imo be much more likely to hit your goal.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Cheat day is usefull after you hit a plateau. It boosts metabolism since long period fastening forces body to perserve fat to survive. When your BF though is above 20% this is pointless.

Deleted
    Cheat days can be a bad idea, have a single cheat meal instead. I know a woman that has been trying to lose weight for a long time and insists cheat days are fine, but the problem is she gorges like a pig that day and ruins her progress for the week.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Cheat days can be a bad idea, have a single cheat meal instead. I know a woman that has been trying to lose weight for a long time and insists cheat days are fine, but the problem is she gorges like a pig that day and ruins her progress for the week.
    Cheat day usually means only having usually 1 cheat meal usually lunch or dinner and not like takeaways and chocolate n shit for every meal

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Biged781 View Post
    Well... kinda. Either (or both) is great, but weight lifting has an added benefit. If you lift weights with short breaks in between sets (i.e., don't be that guy who sits there for 5 minutes before doing 3 reps unless you're training for World's Strongest Man) you get cardio, but you also burn calories for days after as your muscles repair themselves. Also, you'll just look better overall as you gain muscle definition.

I workout 4-5 times / week and this is the path I have taken. To each their own though. The point is to do _something_.
    exactly, not knocking cario, but it takes longer to get the same results, if thats ok with you go for it, any activity is great, I like cycling outdoors so the enjoyment factor outweights pure efficincy for my weekend long rides....

But in terms of efficiency, HIIT and weights blows cardio out of the water.

Hard work and determination. No sugar coating, go for a run and stop eating crap food.
    IMA CHARGIN MY FIREBALL!!!!!

Deleted
    eat less move more..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    lmao thats so dumb

Quote Originally Posted by Acknowledge View Post
    I bought the Nike+ Fuel-band.
    Believe it or not, IT WORKS.
    Makes you do more.
    Lol asfasfasdf/10chars

Protein and fiber makes you full and keeps you that way. Try to fill up meals with as much of those as you can to help you lower your caloric intake.

If you want to burn more calories, thermal dieting is insanely good. Just lower the temperature in your place. You will feel cold for a few days until your body has learned to pump out more heat. Nothing costs more energy than heat. It is the same idea as you have in your home when it comes to energy consumption. Producing light is cheap, motion is medium and anything that alters temperature is a mile more expensive.

Exercise is also very good. Not because of the tiny amount of calories you burn while doing it but because the muscles it creates take a lot of calories to keep up.

Deleted
    low carb. Really, it is easier as you might think. No potatoes, noodles whatsoever. Lost very fast much weight in a healthy way (talking about 40-50 lbs)

Quote Originally Posted by Xihuitl View Post
    soda does not effect weight loss.....well no, no more than say pigging out on a takeaway does not effect weight loss....

Soda, and yes that includes diet" ones, is full of crap.

If you want to keep drinking it, fine, going all in is seldom a sucessful approach anyway, but dont kid yourself, soda is crap for you.
    Those diet sodas increase your appetite/still make you fat because of those artificial sweetners which activate mechanism in your body (or something like that) and increase the chances of getting diabetes type 2.
    Everyone gets fooled by companies with their commercials... So, indeed even diet sodas are full of crap and don't help. Just drink water/coffee/tea but not too much caffeine (caffeine also makes you burn fat faster but can have nasty side effects when you take in too much). You will get used to it very fast and don't even want those sodas anymore at some point.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Roosky View Post
    It actually isn't, I have been told by numerous people before and during when I was losing weight that cheat day isn't a bad thing and neither is soda, I eat really healthy and go to the gym 4-5 times a week, you do need fat in your body still and having a cheat meal or a day where you can go off you strict diet will not hurt your weight loss and it's being realistic you don't expect to never eat that junk food again do you? I didn't think so, I have weeks where I don't have cheat days but I usually have takeaway or something once a week. So please don't reply when you probably don't know anything about it.
    Cheatdays are just rewards for your hard work. And is just a method people use to make it easier for them (it's harder when you know you can never eat your favorite junkfood anymore). But they are not good for you. And without them you will be in better shape.

Yes, you do need fat. Eat fish.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    If you are fat enough to need to diet you love food. Less calories = more weight loss. No cheat day then should mean more weight loss. But that only holds true if you can keep doing that diet, and I feel a cheat day helps you stay on that path, because if you love food you need to indulge, you need to get some happiness out of it, and if you can limit to 1 day a week you will still lose weight, and be happier for it, and imo be much more likely to hit your goal.
    Exactly.
    Last edited by Gilian; 2013-09-27 at 12:23 PM.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acknowledge View Post
    Swimming, Running, Rowing... Science & professionals can't seem to decide what the best way to loose weight is.
    So what do you think?
    Any experience?
    That's because not one way works for everyone. We all have varying goals, bodies, and lives. For that reason alone its best to develop your own plan by taking the things you like from other routines.

For example. I enjoy cycling. I enjoy cycling a hell of a lot more than any other cardio machine. So I get my necessary cardio from cycling. My brother on the other hand finds cycling dull and prefers to beat the pavement with his feet jogging. We both utilize the same bodyweight exercises however I also add in TRX bands while he prefers a variation of the bodyweight exercises.

As long as you are dedicated to what your goal is. Take the appropriate steps with your nutrition. Then quite simply the best way becomes your way because what you're doing is working best for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilian View Post
    Those diet sodas increase your appetite/still make you fat because of those artificial sweetners which activate mechanism in your body (or something like that) and increase the chances of getting diabetes type 2.
    Everyone gets fooled by companies with their commercials... So, indeed even diet sodas are full of crap and don't help. Just drink water/coffee/tea but not too much caffeine (caffeine also makes you burn fat faster but can have nasty side effects when you take in too much). You will get used to it very fast and don't even want those sodas anymore at some point.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -
    I dare you to find any scientific research to back up that statement. For some odd reason the web is packed with sites that tell you that Aspartame and such will give you terrible health issues. We have been eating this stuff for 50 years and sorry to tell you but reality disagrees with you. American Diabetes Association, who knows their shit in this area, also disagrees with you and has no reservations on eating sugar substitutes in "normal" amounts.

Caffeine can indeed give you "nasty side effects" and so can many artificial sweeteners...if you consume HUGE amounts of them. Some other things that can make you sick and actually kill you if you eat too much of it is vitamin C, carrots, broccoli and water. Everything has a lethal dose and it is very easy to scare people if you omit that the lethal dose for carrots is well over 100Lb/day. To reach a dose of toxicity for sweeteners you will have to drink over 60 gallons per day (..and don't quote me on that, figure that popped in my head but I do remember for sure that the amount is beyond unreachable). Everything if you are exposed enough to it is deadly and everything you are exposed to in safe amounts is not. Water is lethal if given enough and Plutonium is harmless if given a low enough amount.

Stop getting medical info from sites run by hysterics.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by madmanx View Post
    Stop getting medical info from sites run by hysterics.
    Mate, you are the one overreacting, no one is saying "drink soda and you'll collapse in seconds! public health risk!!"

Its firmly established that soda is not good for you, and diet version are also really not good for you. Its not going to make you put on 10st and have massive health issues. But simple facts are, if you drink it you'll lose weight slower than if you drink water/tea/etc...

Much like if you eat mcdonalds you'll lose weight slower than if you made homemade real beef burgers and control whats in them.

You can drink as much soda as you like, but lets not be delusional as to what it is.

You can drink as much soda as you like, but lets not be delusional as to what it is.
    I'm having a glass now, so I'll look at the ingredients list - Carbonated Water, caramel color, aspartame, phosphoric acid, natural and artificial flavors, sodium benzoate (preservative), caffeine.

Which of those are you proposing decreases the rate of weight loss or contributes to weight gain? Here's a recent study indicating that drinkers of diet beverages were actually able to cut their caloric intake even deeper than water drinkers. Specifically, they cut desserts to a greater extent, suggesting that the sweeteners already handled their "sweet tooth".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I'm having a glass now, so I'll look at the ingredients list - Carbonated Water, caramel color, aspartame, phosphoric acid, natural and artificial flavors, sodium benzoate (preservative), caffeine.

Which of those are you proposing decreases the rate of weight loss or contributes to weight gain? Here's a recent study indicating that drinkers of diet beverages were actually able to cut their caloric intake even deeper than water drinkers. Specifically, they cut desserts to a greater extent, suggesting that the sweeteners already handled their "sweet tooth".
    Um, I'm not implying it impedes weight loss (or causing weight gain) by some mysterious process as you seam to be assuming, what you are doing is making a strawman.....

I find it hard to believe that soda = less calories than water. You can add in other factors if you want, but thats down to the individual whether they need such crutches or not, or whether they have enough willpower, thats not the issue or point I was making no matter how you try to twist it.

I'm not familliar with the accreditation of that paper so wont comment on it.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Few months back I have my weight around 240lb finally I got sick of how I looked and I took care of myself. For starters I took 2 weeks getting used to eating right (5 meals a day, 350-400 calories each meal with a lot of greens and turkey plus as much whole wheat as possible). After 2 weeks I've started to exercise, I did insanity workout slow and at my own pace and with first turn around I have lost 20lb. Second time around I have worked my ass off and I lost 40lb gain lean body and from 34% body fat I went down to 14%. I can say its hard at the beginning but if you want to lose weight you can do it and even if its hard at the start it will get easier with time and it feels much better to eat healthy and less. Who ever wants to lose wight, I can only tell you that you can do it, don't get discouraged even if it gets hard, just slow down or take a small break and get back to working out, even losing little weight is already better for your body than not losing anything at all.

Um, I'm not implying it impedes weight loss (or causing weight gain) by some mysterious process as you seam to be assuming, what you are doing is making a strawman.....
    Yeah, clearly the problem is on my end.

But simple facts are, if you drink it [soda] you'll lose weight slower than if you drink water/tea/etc...
    Anyway...

I find it hard to believe that soda = less calories than water. You can add in other factors if you want, but thats down to the individual whether they need such crutches or not, or whether they have enough willpower, thats not the issue or point I was making no matter how you try to twist it.

I'm not familliar with the accreditation of that paper so wont comment on it.
    I think I favor clinical, peer reviewed journals over what you personally find hard to believe.

Eat smart, sleep well, train hard.