Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Didn't read the whole discussion, but it's still a matter of the encounter what specc you use. Since demonology was nerfed... "slightly", I tend to try destruction as my offspecc (next to affliction obviously), because there's fights like Galakras, Sha or Garrosh that favor strong AoE-damage mixed with high focus-burst. Destruction has both, so there's nothing wrong with destruction as an offspecc. Also, the destruction warlock isn't that far behind the affliction warlock on single target encounters.
    I'd only strongly advice him to play affliction on encounters like fallen protectors (since demo and uvols have been nerfed).

Deleted
    abbreviation for heroic is not HC

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cle View Post
    abbreviation for heroic is not HC
    Perhaps not in the US, but in Europe everyone uses HC.
    Last edited by Nicola; 2013-09-28 at 02:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fucks sims unless you want world 1st's.

Play the spec you have fun with, and play it well.

Stop focusing on minimal differences in fantasy dps.

He plays for fun and you don't. You need to get over it or leave the guild. Its his choice.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zephid View Post
    Are you playing in a hardcore HC raiding guild? If not then it doesn't really matter what spec he plays.
    while what spec you play doesnt matter, how well you perform in said spec always matter.

If he's raid leading I wouldn't recommend going Affli. On some fights you have so much shit to keep track of it gets really hard to pay attention to what everyone else are/should be doing. Also, as already mentioned by some people, Destro sims high on single target atm. It's even with Affli for me at 560 ilvl.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cle View Post
    stopped reading here

2013, and people are still making decisions based on simcraft
    why would you stop reading? Simcraft is a great tool, and oddly enough the simmed DPS results for single target are matching my ingame testing. it also provides you with accurate stat weighting, and the scaling/reforge plot tools are excellent.

It really depends. If your guilds goal is heroic progression, he should switch and learn aff. If it's normal/flex raiding, it doesn't matter, let him play what he wants.

Also what people have said, if he really is a skilled player he will switch specs and stop being bone-headed.

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Today on the first boss after general nazgrim he was bottom dps, but above tanks. He hasn't been the top dps this entire patch so far. Whats worse is our affliction lock (in lower gear) does beat him in dps. I know that your favorite spec can help and usually it doesn't matter, however, we did almost hit berserk with both tanks above 120K. We have another lock who is affliction at this moment, but was destro and was beating him with gear 8ilevels lower. Still, even if the favorite spec will win, I need a way to at least get him to reforge properly. He has haste on pieces without reforging out of it and has even gone into it in one case.
    Frankly, if he's barely beating tanks as destruction, the spec has nothing to do with it. He's just incompetent. Iirc I did 268k(e) as destruction on our last Nazgrim kill at 550 ilvl, despite effectively AFKing for two defensive stance phases. Making him swap to affliction is only going to make it worse.
    Last edited by Phraun; 2013-09-29 at 11:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phraun View Post
    *snip* the spec has nothing to do with it. *snip*
    Pretty much this. The specs are close enough that you shouldn't see a giant dps leap if player skill is equal. Your Aff lock is probably just a better player. It happens.

Deleted
    Summary of this thread: the usual overreaction to the perceived disparity between spec output.

He will perform way better playing a spec he enjoys playing than one he's forced to play. If he truly loves Destro he'll be more inclined to improve his performance by watching videos, reading guides/forum threads, whatnot. Intrinsic motivation isn't a buzzword, and it translates well to WoW.

All this "respec every fight for that 1.5% benefit or you suck" nonsense only matters at the absolute highest level. Below that, the difference is so minor that it's never going to matter. If you wipe at 1.5%, you should simply execute and control the fight better as opposed to going to town for an expensive, both in terms of gold and in terms of time, reforge/regem/rewhatever, that will gain you perhaps 3000-4000 DPS, provided you execute your secondary spec as well as your primary spec (highly unlikely).

The minor gap between 2/3 very competitive specs is always used as a scapegoat for poor fight execution and low % wipes.
    Last edited by mmoc112630d291; 2013-09-30 at 11:31 AM.

Deleted
    For some reason i first thought that you are talking about gamemaster , anyway there is pretty much nothing you could do to it, maybe changing guild?

I love how people just start slamming a random number pulled from the sky...makes me lol. Having low dps on General Naz can be related to a large amount of factors. Perhaps he had assassin's mark several times and the rest of the raid was slack in assisting with the issue. Maybe every time his trinks popped the general was in defensive stance etc. Imo that fight is kinda meh for Destro overall I think its pretty common to see about 150-170k dps as destro depending on ilvl etc. so although 120k seems low more details would be required before judgment lands imho.

Some fights in general are really not great for Destro.. in flex I recently swapped to a very poorly itemized Demo setup and am lacking in demo practice these days and still put out around 200k in demo vs. my Destro previously in the same gear that was doing about 170k. If he does not want to swap specs for some fights in 10/25N it should make very little difference for progression. In our guild we work around such issues and though we are hardly a raiding guild when we all happen to be online and actually do raid more than 2 hours a week we kill stuff.

Obviously I am pretty casual and hardly get to raid with our guild much lately but some of the responses here just make me think people are narrow minded at times.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by icedlight View Post
    I love how people just start slamming a random number pulled from the sky...makes me lol. Having low dps on General Naz can be related to a large amount of factors. Perhaps he had assassin's mark several times and the rest of the raid was slack in assisting with the issue. Maybe every time his trinks popped the general was in defensive stance etc. Imo that fight is kinda meh for Destro overall I think its pretty common to see about 150-170k dps as destro depending on ilvl etc. so although 120k seems low more details would be required before judgment lands imho.

Some fights in general are really not great for Destro.. in flex I recently swapped to a very poorly itemized Demo setup and am lacking in demo practice these days and still put out around 200k in demo vs. my Destro previously in the same gear that was doing about 170k. If he does not want to swap specs for some fights in 10/25N it should make very little difference for progression. In our guild we work around such issues and though we are hardly a raiding guild when we all happen to be online and actually do raid more than 2 hours a week we kill stuff.

Obviously I am pretty casual and hardly get to raid with our guild much lately but some of the responses here just make me think people are narrow minded at times.
    I think the general feeling I get from the OP is not, "Oh my gm did poorly on Nazgrim once, MUST FIX ASAP" - sounds more like a long term issue to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicola View Post
    Perhaps not in the US, but in Europe everyone uses HC.
    HC=Hardcore
    H=Heroic.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    HC=Hardcore
    H=Heroic.
    all people I know of in europe are using HC for Heroic

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    HC=Hardcore
    H=Heroic.
    Don't think I've ever seen anyone abbreviate hard core ... HC is most definitely the acronym for heroic, especially in the EU. In the US more people just say H or HM, but does it even matter .. ?