[WeakAura] Is your pet attacking?

I'm sure most of you have had your pet stop attacking without realising it, for one of the following reasons:
    a.) it's on passive and you forgot (dark animus pet tanking)
    b.) it despawned due to range (immerseus)
    c.) it died (dark shamans)
    d.) pet move and you forgot (beast cleave)
    e.) he decided to go on an adventure due to pet pathing issues (megaera)
    f.) general retardation

Anyway I was looking for an addon to help me out and I couldn't find anything other than this which is ugly as sin and uncustomisable/unsupported.
    I tried to make a weakaura but there wasn't any easy way to do it, and the only thread I could find with something relevant was kinda broken and horribly inneficient.

I spent a bit more time on it and was able to come up with a pretty good solution by modifying a priest Rapture aura.
    Here's a video of how it looks.

Here is the import string if you're interested:
    Code:
    d4d7gaGAKkz9ii9src7sQeVwenteeZfPQMnbhwOBIuPESe3wqpxv7uLSxQDR0(LIFsizycuJdPkNNuAOKQgSk1WLQoOu6ueIoMa5HeQwOiSuKkSysLLlQfrO0tHwMuPwNujzIsLutvstgjthCrrQRIGYLrDDI2OirFgrBwaBhH(iHIVkvmnrsFhbmssrJIqQrJugpc0jjfUfcQoTI7HurRKq4VQ43KSdYvJrxny8n2Dxc2yOrkJuUA8zHa6vZcgtiQAvu0nHKoLvJzMCuBvBpBKmRK9gxzynpKKC(9vqghkJ6zO5UfGyj5SKgfurkxnMvcSRgdLcW4QbdgmYeSpUumLtyWyXvFfKRgjOOce4zWxeE3bhSXybg1(UA8HygC1iL6uKpOcDcJf5dQqJDAp6z40cqSKCwYMB6S5gYsUreD4yYwzo(DblXnnrEHx0ITt7rCntlEko6txfRinymWSZtZvJuQdPGIawNXI8bvOXoTh9mCAbiwsolzZnD2CVJqJi6WXKTYC87cwIBAI8cVOfBN2J4AMw8uC0NUkwrAKuqrGtGCmKn2HJjBL543v6zO5(sbn3TaeljNL0iL6uKpOcDcJKckcCIfyuRrAdfBWGX4oHryuRRgdJZ6QX(m)myuNsUf2GbJqEij5SRgFLmxy5oGXEgmsjZryuRXUnkF(i3bCcJYNpAgF9m4egbT9SrMiVGXxQJjYlGYabgcA801T0DRysBu(8HitBkcS1zKjYlyuCvOUi0CtiksJYNpHk5cmL1zuUmrEbJWeYugLpFELmxy5oGty8L6yI8c6ZCGHGgXoACjgJYNprHHi7eglYhuHhAdfBeMqMYGrA8qsd8vQ0ZOGks5Qr5ZNIq8FNWywjWUAmukaJRgmySie)3vJ)SKcSrnjSRAA6WGbJzMCuBvBpBCkQ14qzupdn3A8n3TaeljNL0i180LClWqKToJfLGk7QVs1xbBWyKIAGrTrHdKhsso)UAWibgkGMVsLEgxzynpKKC(9vqgPMVxiQvJIAnQXcCoqSW0xJIAF63QBegq7rm0usHuM5Lq1AWxD7QrckQabEg8fH3DWbBuUqEij5SRglYhuHgdi3cmQv0IS5oZGmVn3DAp6z40cqSKCwYMBEPAerJimyeYdjjND1O85JChWjmkF(Oz81ZGtyu(8jujxGPSoJG2E2yr(Gk0O85drM2ueyRZitKxWO4QLAGrTVXI8bv4H2qXgHjKPmkxMiVGXOeuglYhuHgdi3cmQv0IS5oZGmVn3RcAU70E0ZWPfGyj5SKn38szSiFqfEaT9SXhIG8nwOXLKgzI8cgLpFIcdr2jmYe5fEJDApIRzAXtXrF6QbJ04HKg4RuPNrbvKYvJYNpfH4)oHXSsGD1yOuagxnyWO85trfQlcoHXIq8Fxn(ZskWg1KWUQPPddgmMzYrTvT9SXPOwJuZtxYTadr26moug1ZqZ9LcAUBbiwsolPrcmuanFLk9mg3jmcJAD14dXm4QrqBpBSpZpdg7Z8ZGXNwE2KgmggN1vJG2E2yFMFgm2N5NbJ6uYTWgmgy25P5QrqBpBSpZpdg7Z8ZGXNwE2KgmyCLH18qsY53xbzmsrnWO2OWbYdjjNFxnyKA(EHOwnkQ1OglW5aXctFnkQ9PFRUryaThXqtjfszMxcvRbdgj6RGsnOGnyd

It's a roudabout method, but it's the best way that I could find to do it. Here's a general idea of how it works:
    There's a hidden aura named 'Pet Is Attacking'. This activates every time your pet deals damage with a melee swing. If your pet hasn't attacked in 2 seconds for any reason (dead, despawned, dismissed, out of range, passive, immune) it will hide. You can modify this number to your preference, under 'Pet Is Attacking' > Trigger > Hide > Duration.
    When the 'Pet Is Attacking' aura hides, it triggers another aura named 'Pet Not Attacking' which is what you see, and it will show as long as you are in combat and until your pet attacks again.

More technical info to help someone like me who stumbles upon this and wants to modify it:
    Every time the 'Pet Is Attacking' aura hides or shows it triggers an event named WA_CHECK_PET that the other aura can check for so it doesn't have to scan every frame or something stupid. When it shows, it sets a variable WA_Pet_Attacking to true, and when it hides it sets it to false.
    The 'Pet Is Not Attacking' aura triggers every time the WA_CHECK_PET event is sent, and then it checks if WA_Pet_Attacking is true or false and hides or shows the aura.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by mediic; 2013-09-28 at 04:23 PM.

Deleted
    macro /petassist or /petattack into some spells. Hard shit^^

Deleted
    i actually like it. Pet despawning happens and that will help noticing it asap. Ty.

Quote Originally Posted by Revrev View Post
    macro /petassist or /petattack into some spells. Hard shit^^
    It's a bad idea to have those macro'd in many situations, and it doesn't help with most of the issues I listed, but hey, whatever works for you.

Neato, anything for an old school Power Auras user?
    <Guiles Theme Song> @ Mal'Ganis-US Horde 20-man 10/10M 8/10M, currently recruiting all
    Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/timoseewho

Deleted
    Works like a charm! Great Work :-)

Quote Originally Posted by timoseewho View Post
    addon hipster

Quote Originally Posted by jinsu View Post
    addon hipster
    WeakAuras too mainstream, dude.
    <Guiles Theme Song> @ Mal'Ganis-US Horde 20-man 10/10M 8/10M, currently recruiting all
    Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/timoseewho

Quote Originally Posted by timoseewho View Post
    Haven't used PowerAuras since like BC haha, didn't know it was even still around.
    Maybe you can make one using the same method I described if that functionality is there. A hidden 'pet is attacking' aura that hides after a couple seconds then displays the 'pet is not attacking' aura.

Quote Originally Posted by mediic View Post
    It's a bad idea to have those macro'd in many situations, and it doesn't help with most of the issues I listed, but hey, whatever works for you.
    It's never a bad idea to have petattack macrod into Kill Command for general play. The only time I can say you would do otherwise is if you're sending your pet around on legs for Garalon, even then the only purpose of doing that was to pad ranks.

Using /petattack in KC is fine for general play, I use it. I've also had plenty situations where I'd rather have my pet on passive, and remove /petattack so I can leave him on boss while I deal with small adds and still use KC on CD without having him run all over the place.
    Since I use passive mode for my pet a lot as BM, having /petassist macro'd into anything is a pretty bad idea.
    This is totally irrelevant though. Of the reasons I listed at the top, having those macro'd into your shots helps for d and f, it's irrelevant for b, c and e, and harmful for a.

Super. I was just thinking yesterday that I should make one of these. Glad to have had someone do it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by mediic View Post
    A hidden 'pet is attacking' aura that hides after a couple seconds then displays the 'pet is not attacking' aura.
    There's an addon called PetAttack that does pretty much exactly this.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Honor View Post
    There's an addon called PetAttack that does pretty much exactly this.
    Which he said he tried and didn't like.

Quote Originally Posted by Joyful View Post
    Which he said he tried and didn't like.
    Gah. You're totally right. I should get all the way through that first cup of coffee before posting anything ...

This works great- I've been wanting something like this for awhile but been too lazy to look for it.

When the pet is attacking (and in combat) I get a grey blank icon square which I'm sure is not intended? any ideas on how to fix it?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Notho View Post
    When the pet is attacking (and in combat) I get a grey blank icon square which I'm sure is not intended? any ideas on how to fix it?
    Rightclick the Attacking-weakaura and convert it to a text aura. Leave the text field blank (put in a space and press enter) and it shouldn't appear anymore.

That did it - Thank you, I was trying to figure out how to make it transparent and failing.