Page 1 of 30
... LastLast

Why do we have non-essential gov't workers?

With the government shutdown now in 'full effect,' it begs the question (from an economic standpoint, if nothing else) as to why we have so many 'non-essential' government workers. Logically, it would seem that if someone's job is not important, then there really is no need to keep paying that individual to perform a job that is not needed. With over 800,000 of our government employees now deemed non-essential by their very own employer, shouldn't the American people be looking for a much better return on their investment than simply continuing to pay billions of dollars each year to those who are 'essentially' not important?

cnn.com/2013/10/01/politics/government-shutdown/

10+ Year Old Account
    Non-essential doesn't mean that they don't serve a purpose.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are lots of things the government does that are useful and good, but not "essential," especially in the short term. Like National Parks. Could the country continue to operate without them? Sure. Should it? Hell no!
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

The term "essential" basically means, "if this person isn't here, something bad will happen immediately". Here's a few example of people that are "non-essential", but you'd probably regard as a reasonable investment of money:

- NIH Scientists
    - NASA Scientists
    - Smithsonian Curators and visitor staff
    - Park Rangers
    - Passport Administrators
    Last edited by Spectral; 2013-10-01 at 03:38 PM.

Policy-makers are non-essential during a time where there is no policy to be made.
    One could say that it's not actually the employees being 'non-essential;' it's your politicians hindering the work of otherwise essential functions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    The term "essential" basically means, "if this person isn't here, something bad will happen immediately". Here's a few example of people that are "non-essential", but you'd probably regard as a reasonable investment of money:

- NIH Scientists
    - NASA Scientists
    - Smithsonian curators and visitor staff
    - Park rangers
    - Passport Administrators
    Just means we need to shutter NASA and every park, nature reserve, and museum.

who are you to say what is essential or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    who are you to say what is essential or not?
    That's kind of an odd answer. The OP asked an honest question using the phrasing that's used by the government. It's a fair enough question - if a position isn't essential, why should we have it? I think the answer is obvious once someone hears it, but maybe not beforehand. There's no need for hostility at this point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly Willy View Post
    Non-essential doesn't mean that they don't serve a purpose.
    No but it can mean that some of those purposes are a complete waste of money and effort to support.
    It's pronounced "Dur-av-ian."

Quote Originally Posted by Duravian View Post
    No but it can mean that some of those purposes are a complete waste of money and effort to support.
    I just want to prove your signature wrong..

OT:

Like people have said, "essential" just means what they absolutely need to run. Think about what you do at work. Would your company shut down if you left? No? Then you are "non-essential". If it would then you would be "essential".

I consider the president and all the other DC bigshots to be non-essential yet they are continuing to get paid. Hell, the non-essential people were all people who actually work. When was the last time the President, Congress, Senate etc did anything that even resembled work?

They stopped paying the wrong people.

Hell i can pick some guys up on the corner in Woodbridge that can get more work done in a day than these flunkies do in a year.

Quote Originally Posted by vaeevictiss View Post
    I consider the president and all the other DC bigshots to be non-essential yet they are continuing to get paid. Hell, the non-essential people were all people who actually work. When was the last time the President, Congress, Senate etc did anything that even resembled work?

They stopped paying the wrong people.

Hell i can pick some guys up on the corner in Woodbridge that can get more work done in a day than these flunkies do in a year.
    I sit at a computer all day and play with numbers, does that mean that I also don't "work"?

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    That's kind of an odd answer. The OP asked an honest question using the phrasing that's used by the government. It's a fair enough question - if a position isn't essential, why should we have it? I think the answer is obvious once someone hears it, but maybe not beforehand. There's no need for hostility at this point.
    who are you to decide that though?

Why isn't NASA essential? WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Why isn't NASA essential? WTF?
    Because we don't need to explore space in order for our country to function?

by "essential" they are only referring to immediate needs, not all needs. it's like the difference between living on vitamin supplements and eating real food
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    who are you to decide that though?
    None of us here are deciding what is essential, the government has already decided who is and isn't "essential."
    It seems the OP either doesn't understand what the term "non-essential" means, or this thread is a tongue in cheek stab at the government.
    When NJ State Govt shut down a few years ago, being as I worked at the DMV, I was "non-essential", but the state police and people at hospitals went to work, as they are "essential".
    I didn't decide that, the state did.

Quote Originally Posted by DrStiglit View Post
    Because we don't need to explore space in order for our country to function?
    I guess essential is rather subjective. They do a lot more than explore space he he =p

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ViciousAequitas View Post
    With the government shutdown now in 'full effect,' it begs the question (from an economic standpoint, if nothing else) as to why we have so many 'non-essential' government workers. Logically, it would seem that if someone's job is not important, then there really is no need to keep paying that individual to perform a job that is not needed. With over 800,000 of our government employees now deemed non-essential by their very own employer, shouldn't the American people be looking for a much better return on their investment than simply continuing to pay billions of dollars each year to those who are 'essentially' not important?
    Non-essential =/= non-important. Your sense of smell is non-essential in your everyday life, as is your sense of taste. Doesn't mean you'd function as well without them.

/thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yirrah View Post
    Non-essential =/= non-important. Your sense of smell is non-essential in your everyday life, as is your sense of taste. Doesn't mean you'd function as well without them.

/thread.
    Well actually, i'm completely blind and deaf, so I rely heavily on my sense of smell to help me when i'm driving or walking around through minefields with my army platoon.