Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

General idea for playable High Elves and Ogres

I've got a fairly solid nucleus of an idea for how to tackle adding the two most popular faction-specific races to the game; Namely Ogres for the Horde and High Elves for the Alliance: Dustwallow Marsh.

In a nutshell, post-MoP Varian Wrynn finally acedes to Jaina Proudmoore's wish to relocate Dalaran to the sky above the ruins of Theramore. Having Dalaran as a populated and updated city versus just a floating invisible-walled prop in the sky doesn't matter that much.

Basically the end result of this move is that the Silver Covenant, realising that Quel'Thalas is no longer their homeland, establish a small settlement either in or close to the ruins of Theramore to call their own. These are the Alliance High Elves you play. Conversely the Stonemaul Ogres feel threatened by this encroachment on their territory and request greater aid from the Horde to bolster their defenses and undermine the Silver Covenant's colonization efforts. Obviously in this scenario you're playing a Horde-affliliated Stonemaul Ogre.

Fairly straight forward. Story-wise, the zone is set and phased in a post-MoP setting with a level 01-13(ish) for both races. Each race has their own phase and storyline to play through in "parallel" with some clever inter-connectivity as both sides have their little wins and setbacks.

I haven't bothered working out more specifics than this but I thought it might be a good framework to introduce both races into the picture as playable characters. It might even vaguely fit in with any kind of south-seas-eque expansion as far as having a coastline-facing zone. Bit of a stretch maybe.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

Not Ogres. Horde should get Satyr.

Makes sense, although High Elves in a swamp is a bit weird. Also doesn't solve the problem with them being identical to Blood Elves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Makes sense, although High Elves in a swamp is a bit weird. Also doesn't solve the problem with them being identical to Blood Elves.
    True enough. I was more trying to put a new spin on the idea of starting areas (i.e. both having phased versions of the same zone 1-13 with interconnected storylines), and I don't think the silhouette issue is much of a thing anymore. But fair point.

High elves in a swamp was more of a "well, we're here, we're close to Dalaran, we can't go home, where else can we go?" type deal.
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like it. However I'm not too sure how I feel about both races starting in the same zone.

With the looming threat of Sylvanas and the desire to retake Gilneas, it would be more appropriate for Dalaran to return to its old home in Alterac.

It would give that corner of the map a much needed reinvention and give the Alliance a bastion in Northern EK.

The Ogres, should move into the ruins of Theramore and begin building their society there. The residual magical energy could alter them so that their brains develop more and they become more intellectually on par with the other races.

Quote Originally Posted by Sygil View Post
    I like it. However I'm not too sure how I feel about both races starting in the same zone.
    It works for Dks since they arent faction bound at the time. A similar thing is the case with Pandaren.
    I'm also a little unsure on how both factions in the same start zone would work, even with phasing.
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.

Sounds cool. As long as these Swamp Elves kinda look like this:

because another elf race that looks almost identical to BE's or NE's would be super bland

My five cents, I like the OP's idea but with my own spin on how to separate the High Elves from the Blood Elves....

Long story Short, The Highborne reunite with the Quel'dorei and reconnect them to the ancient arcane which consequentially makes their skin turn a slightly purplish hue (similar to NE's but bright purple/pale) so effectively what they are now with a slight change.
    In addition, High Elves retain their glowing blue eyes and superiority complex that has made them one of the more snobbish races of Azeroth, this allows the Highborne to Merge with the High Elves and continue training both Kal'dorei and Quel'dorei in the ancient arcane, while being more close to those that they are socially attuned to.

On a physical level, the Highborne Quel'dorei (playable) would be distinguished by bright azure blue/pale/pink skin, tones of pink, blue, white, blonde and red hair and ears that more closely resemble the original high elf model's.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__..._Theramore.jpg

Obviously in a more updated variation (you can clearly see high elves ears arch inward instead of blood elves arching outward) which would be a good way to distinguish their ear shapes, especially with Highborne magic altering them.

For Ogres?

I believe we need a bit more depth, Ogres are a small portion of the Horde and in order to grow you'd have to effectivly use Garrosh Horde and merge the darker, questionable motivated Ogres into the Horde, potentially as a powerful means to keep the Alliance equalized.

Vol'jin is forced to embrace the members of the dark horde Garrosh left behind, as such, we go to a phased Burning Steppes where the Ogre clans there unite against the Alliance to drive them out under a surprising retaliation. It is their raw ferocity and brutality that makes them such admirable weapons of war and Vol'jin recognizes that the alliance may be the superior magic users, but he has strength, and adding Ogres to the Tauren, Trolls, Pandaren and Orcs would only add to that physical might.

He is forced to consider their harsh dark horde ways into the Horde as a necessary evil for the greater good, hoping to use the new Horde to redeem their old beliefs and change them into survivors, rather than conquerors and destroyers.

My two cents.

I would happily take this for the next expansion, but as an above poster said, we should move Dalaran back to Alterac while giving the Ogres Thereamore's ruins.

Maybe a new customization feature for the High elves could be the ability to change their eye color (except for green and red)? And, while some disagree, I feel like High elves shouldn't be able to become Warlocks.

As for Ogres, do you think a two-headed option would be feasible?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sygil View Post
    I think that's the most interesting part of the idea; converging the start experience of both factions of the same zone could be beneficial in several ways.

-Saved resources on one zone instead of 2.

-the lore of one faction builds on the lore of the other, creating a cohesive and converging storyline, simmilar to the forsaken and gilnean starting experiences.

-After the starting experience is finished, the area can become an end game quest hub with both PvE and PvP objectives.

We already have tons of staring zones with the same formula, it would be nice to see a spin on it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cmats4020 View Post
    I would happily take this for the next expansion, but as an above poster said, we should move Dalaran back to Alterac while giving the Ogres Thereamore's ruins.

Maybe a new customization feature for the High elves could be the ability to change their eye color (except for green and red)? And, while some disagree, I feel like High elves shouldn't be able to become Warlocks.

As for Ogres, do you think a two-headed option would be feasible?
    I dunno, I don't think it makes sense to move Dalaran to Alterac at all. Jaina would want to keep the horde in check and use Dalaran as a deterrent: the best location is near the heart of the Horde, as a reminder that the Alliance is ready to strike.

Alternatively, if Blizzard caves and gives people high elves (I'm opposed myself), I'd say why not have Dalaran set down in Dustwallow? Theramore is gone. Populating a ruin doesn't sound like the greatest plan. Placing Dalaran there means Kalimdor has a large military Alliance capitol to "oversee" the Horde. If they give the Ogres to the Horde, it would be a nice excuse to redo the whole zone. I mean yes, they'll keep Onyxia's cavern because they don't remove raids, but otherwise it's a zone full of old questline, and dragons that are extinct on Azeroth. They could redo the whole place, have players reach level 10 there, and then send em off to report to their faction capitol or something.

Depending on the theme of the coming expansion, I'm sure there'll be some way to tie that into everything too.

Quote Originally Posted by Cernunnos View Post
    It works for Dks since they arent faction bound at the time. A similar thing is the case with Pandaren.
    It's not the same by any mean.
    When DKs were introduced, both Horde and Alliance got them. Same happened with Pandaren.
    But do you really see the Alliance getting a faction that looks exactly like Blood Elves, while the Horde gets an entirely new playable race? I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Totle View Post
    With the looming threat of Sylvanas and the desire to retake Gilneas, it would be more appropriate for Dalaran to return to its old home in Alterac.

It would give that corner of the map a much needed reinvention and give the Alliance a bastion in Northern EK.
    Although I think that your idea is lore-wise much more appealing than the OP's, I don't think that Alterac needs reinvention, like Azshara didn't (although I fully played the quests in post-Cataclysm Azshara and they're surely great).
    Regions like Alterac or old Azshara may look empty and useless, but it's the opposite: they're not obvious, they're not straightforward, they leave room to speculation, imagination, fascination. In other words, they give to WoW exactly what made it great and is nowadays lacking: immersion.

So, as much as it's nice to see old places developing, I don't think it should be at expenses of places such as Alterac. But in the end it's just convenient to update old regions, rather than creating something entirely new. Personally I'd like a chance to visit Zandalar or whatever is leftover of it. And surely I'd prefer it to look more like Alterac or old Azshara than, say, the Timeless Isle
    Last edited by Memory; 2013-10-03 at 05:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Memory View Post
    It's not the same by any mean.
    When DKs were introduced, both Horde and Alliance got them. Same happened with Pandaren.
    But do you really see the Alliance getting a faction that looks exactly like Blood Elves, while the Horde gets an entirely new playable race? I don't.
    Who knows? High elves are extremely popular among the fan base, and with the confirmation of Alleria's return, we might see High elves as a playable race in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Worgoblin View Post
    Sounds cool. As long as these Swamp Elves kinda look like this:

because another elf race that looks almost identical to BE's or NE's would be super bland
    Haha. I'd love a hideous elf race, I can only imagine the sort of uproar that would ensue if Blizzard introduced an unattractive high elf model.

10+ Year Old Account
    the second pandas came out that argument became in-valid.

Who knows? High elves are extremely popular among the fan base, and with the confirmation of Alleria's return, we might see High elves as a playable race in the future.
    The only was I see it happening is if Horde gets - let's say - Worgen, or evil dorfs, or anything like that.

What makes you think Alleria won't side with the Blood Elves? :P

Or neither. They're both her people.

Quote Originally Posted by Deshow View Post
    the second pandas came out that argument became in-valid.
    Eh, not so sure about that.

To be fair, the real problem is that Blood Elves are in the Horde, which never made sense. TBC kind of fucked that up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

What makes you think Alleria won't side with the Blood Elves? :P

Or neither. They're both her people.
    Because Alleria hates the Horde. She may be neutral to the Blood elves, but no way would she go Horde only to be allied with the very race she wants extinct (orcs).

Eh, not so sure about that.

To be fair, the real problem is that Blood Elves are in the Horde, which never made sense. TBC kind of fucked that up.
    It is true that the silhouette problem about High elves being playable is now invalid because of the Pandaren being neutral. But yeah, Blood elves on Horde never made sense.

Back on topic, I can see High elves being playable at least some time in the future. I wouldn't be surprised if they were playable when Alleria returns.

Because Alleria hates the Horde. She may be neutral to the Blood elves, but no way would she go Horde only to be allied with the very race she wants extinct (orcs).

Back on topic, I can see High elves being playable at least some time in the future. I wouldn't be surprised if they were playable when Alleria returns.
    Well if the argument is High Elves are too closely similar to Blood Elves (theyre the same), then give Horde a similar race to what the Alliance has, say Leper gnome. Then give both Horde and Alliance another race Orge for Horde, Furbolg for alliance. That would work out nice. While at it, make Hozen and Jinyu playable.