10+ Year Old Account

Autumn Harvest - The Rise of the Puppets

We're into October now and as we're still chasing Rifts in the Mayhem in Mathosia World Event, it's time to look a bit ahead to Autumn Harvest and some Halloween fun

If you were a fan of the various puppet shows at Hailol in the Dendrome, you'll now be able to collect your very own puppet companions, some new achievements to look forward to:

I did get the Hanlin one on the PTS with some left over currency from last years Harvest, that head looks a bit too life like

With Halloween then starting, expect plenty of players to run around as pumpkinhead

How the heads will appear on your char, from left to right:

Foolish, Devious, Smiling and Goofy.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wonder how many of these daily/repeatable quests in this event are going to require you to press space 15,000 times for the reward of one coin like in the Death Event. How fun! I have dibs on saying right now that this is a soul destroying over-the-top insane grind-fest again.

Note just how "out-of-wack" their credit system is - 100 & 3 tokens coins for the other items which are 540 credits and 2 coins for the hat which is 340 credits. Yeah, sorry bit pessimistic at this moment about the game. Seatin made a post on the forums about how the raid community is dying as the T2 preparation is an insane grind-fest.

Trion have yet to learn that there is a point where the reward is no longer worth the grind and when you are cornered into buying "everything", it's not worth the bother. As it is right now, it's actually considerably cheaper to play a subscription-based game than to play Rift if you want to get all the nice toys and fluff.
    Last edited by theWocky; 2013-10-08 at 10:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by theWocky View Post
    I wonder how many of these daily/repeatable quests in this event are going to require you to press space 15,000 times for the reward of one coin like in the Death Event. How fun! I have dibs on saying right now that this is a soul destroying over-the-top insane grind-fest again.

Note just how "out-of-wack" their credit system is - 100 & 3 tokens coins for the other items which are 540 credits and 2 coins for the hat which is 340 credits. Yeah, sorry bit pessimistic at this moment about the game. Seatin made a post on the forums about how the raid community is dying as the T2 preparation is an insane grind-fest.

Trion have yet to learn that there is a point where the reward is no longer worth the grind and when you are cornered into buying "everything", it's not worth the bother. As it is right now, it's actually considerably cheaper to play a subscription-based game than to play Rift if you want to get all the nice toys and fluff.
    Who is this person who is forcing you to buy all the Halloween masks? Do they have a weapon? Are you safe? Do you need us to contact the police for you? Is there someplace you can go to get away from this person?

@ this person who is forcing you to buy all the masks: I don't know who you are or what you want but I will find you and kill you.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardarian View Post
    Who is this person who is forcing you to buy all the Halloween masks? Do they have a weapon? Are you safe? Do you need us to contact the police for you? Is there someplace you can go to get away from this person?

@ this person who is forcing you to buy all the masks: I don't know who you are or what you want but I will find you and kill you.
    Yeah... no comment. Just pity.

Yeah... no comment. Just pity.
    Do they not have Taken memes in south africa?
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Isn't paying for the fluff and toys the most ideal cash shop implementation?

Of course a sub based game is cheaper if you are interested in acquiring fluff items. The point of F2P is that the game and it's core systems are free of charge, but it's convenience &/or minor activities are ala carte.

I am not sure what the dismay can be under this system.

If you go to a restaurant, do you not pay more ala carte per portion than for a course meal? The trade off being you only get what you want ala carte.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardarian View Post
    Do they not have Taken memes in south africa?
    I got that... I also got that you were saying that no-one is forcing you to buy things, but also got you telling me that I should do the grind if I don't want to pay - hence my comment. They add an event and make the damn thing soo grindy, it sucks the fun out of it.

When the grind sucks the fun out of the game and paying is the only "real" choice, then it is not a real choice.

EDIT: The events are all about grind for "fluff" - there is usually no other point to them. It should be balanced. A certain amount of grind is fine. Over-the-top like jumping up and down on 15,000 ballons for one token is not. The events are designed to be a grind, not about "fun" - what's the point of a doing a quest once or twice and getting no reward for it? none - the grind in Rift is extreme.

I enjoyed things like the Scavenger Hunts, but not the dailies. Without doing hundreds of dailies, you couldn't get the event's rewards. If you complete a quest chain, do the dailies once or twice, it should have been enough to get at least the majority the goodies. The currency shortfall was huge, however.
    Last edited by theWocky; 2013-10-08 at 05:37 PM.

To be fair, before F2P implementation in Rift the events were fairly grindy/busy work.

Sub based games have the greatest incentive to draw out reward gains. So the design that dictates players engage in things like dailies in the first place is one that is predicated on a business model stretching back to late 1990s.

These events are not designed to be fun. They are designed to keep one busy for X weeks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    These events are not designed to be fun. They are designed to keep one busy for X weeks.
    Oh, I know why they do it. My point was that there is eventually a threshold where the grind exceeds the reward and people stop playing. Unfortunately Rift has surpassed that threshold - in my opinion of course.

Deleted
    Oh, I know why they do it. My point was that there is eventually a threshold where the grind exceeds the reward and people stop playing. Unfortunately Rift has surpassed that threshold - in my opinion of course.
    It happened when it was subbased, guilds struggled to find people for raids because of the gear grind. Now that didnt change with f2p, and even if it did bring more people into the game... it's a matter of will they stay or not. Sure, with f2p people can come and go as they please, but Im not sure it made it that much easier to find people. At least what I notice in guild I entered when I returned for f2p, tons of people in guild first weeks/months to be not that many nowadays. Seems like history is repeating itself, and it's obvious grind is biggest reason. Most dont make it to max, those at max get bored on the long gear grind, just very few survive entire grind to endgame.

Same with events, it's not fun to jump balloons over and over again, it's just time consuming for sake of being time consuming. Remember trying to grind those minigamequests one event, never feel the need to do it again... I dont care what fluff is being offered. Im tired =)

I doubt Rift is anymore grindy than other MMOs. F2P or Sub based. It takes a lot of effort to "gear up" progressively in many linear, infinite scaling MMOs.

And to be honest, I do not know of any F2P game where the cosmetics/fluff items can be had without a measure of [not insignificant] time investment over cash shop credits.

I find this whole thread funny. Slip comes in here just trying to announce the new event for those that want to know about it. We get one disgruntled guy in here throwing it off topic turning it into a discussion about not this particular event and what it's going to be, but instead, a bash of grinding and a "discussion" about how much grind MMOs have.

The funniest part, I have never really participated in a world event in Rift because the only thing it offers is fluff and I could care less about fluff.

any pics of the spectral mounts???
    RIFT: Valakin lvl 60 rogue / Valakis lvl 60 mage - Zaviel EU, guild "Consortium"
    D3: 60 Barb, 60 Wiz, 60 WD

I thought it was common knowledge that Rift was "the game with the grind" in terms of 2nd gen mmos long before f2p ever hit. This looks pretty fun though.

Quote Originally Posted by Recondition View Post
    I thought it was common knowledge that Rift was "the game with the grind" in terms of 2nd gen mmos long before f2p ever hit. This looks pretty fun though.
    If you are into bleeding edge content, then the rep grinds are there. If you are not and want a trinket it can be done with dailies in under 15 days easily. Anyone else crying is full of shit. Yeah the enchants are nice, but meh.

Grinding to get that turtle mount in WotLK was more of a grind then anything I have ever done in Rift. Also the word "grind" is way over used. Go play Aion 1.0 and then tell me what a grind is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by soniqboom View Post
    any pics of the spectral mounts???
    I had to trawl through my old screenshots but found one from last years Autumn Harvest

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    Also the word "grind" is way over used. Go play Aion 1.0 and then tell me what a grind is.
    Reason #1 why I quit playing Aion is because it was a grind. I came back to play it not too long after it went F2P and noticed not much had changed in terms of grinding at certain ranges so I quit again. I wish they would get their act together and take the grind out of the damn game.

OT, I get my full internet back (damn you satellite internet having a GB cap for the month) in a few days and I look forward to doing this Halloween event in Rift. I came back to the game after not being able to play because of a crappy computer that couldn't handle the game. I wasn't able to do any holiday stuff but I love them in WoW and hope they're going to be as much fun here.

Deleted
    Okay... This is by far the most badass mount in MMO-history (and no that is not up discussion):

A little pewed that you need to get all the mask to get it

- - - Updated - - -

Close 5 rift that give exp (gives two tokens), Gather 1-5-10 plants scarthed across Telara, first time gives 1 token. I would say that is a fair model for tokens

Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    Okay... This is by far the most badass mount in MMO-history (and no that is not up discussion):
    I have never bothered with any event in any MMO I ever played other than once with Brewfest in wow many moons ago, but that mount in your picture makes want to go and get it. In a game that I feel it has the coolest/nicest mounts out of the MMOs I tried, this one does take the cake easily :-)!

10+ Year Old Account
    A new short Halloween trailer was played at the start of the Rift Live stream tonight, hasn't appeared yet on the Trion YouTube channel so i shamelessly ripped it from the stream