Page 1 of 3
LastLast

What optional thing could make Questing more challenging or exciting?

I'm not saying make questing challenging for everyone, but what is one difficult thing they could add for questing to make it more challenging or exciting?

I love to level in WoW, but lately it feels more of a grind of the same thing and a tad bland. (Not to mention easy as F, even without heirlooms!)

I miss at least tough dungeons which people turn to as quick ways to gain EXP (And spam them all day) as of late.

A cool addition for me are optional class based scenarios or just quest chain scenarios that have 1-3 players required (Like group quests) and they are difficult and award something unique and fun! Allow people to only do it once and give a decent amount of experience so people dont turn to it as a faster way to level.

I love the journey more than the destination and it seems more players would rather level as fast as possible to 90 and I fear its because there is nothing appealing in questing anymore.

Ideas so far:
    -Class Quests
    -Low Level Scenarios
    -Alt experience buff : For every new alt you start, you get XX% amount of experience buffed to that alt. (Helps people who hate leveling)
    -Varied Quests
    -Adventure Mode : Phase into a harder questing world, if you get to level cap doing so you are awarded a title or some other vanity item.
    -More Puzzle Quests
    -Vanilla Group Quests
    -Removal of Hard Level Cap on quests
    -Challenge Mode on some quests : Much like challenge mode dungeons, harder quests and get awarded some cool vanity items.
    -More rare mobs that act like mini bosses
    -Timeless Isle type set-up for Normal Questing
    -Elite Filled Areas : Areas that have tons of elites and tougher mobs that have few if any quests, but award better exp and awards.
    -Better Elite Quests : More difficult or more entertaining.
    Last edited by StrayFox; 2013-10-12 at 05:55 PM.

An option that means you can die whilst levelling would be a good start

Pandora's box of expediency and zero-risk gaming is wide open, and never being closed again.

Nevermind the fact that questing is boring BECAUSE it's been made so absurdly simplistic... any buffs or changes to make people think a bit while leveling is going to be met with torches and pitchforks wielded by the 'I have a job and family now' brigade.

Quote Originally Posted by Attackrabbit View Post
    An option that means you can die whilst levelling would be a good start
    I agree, I think 85-90 is actually quite difficult (at least last I played) but overall the 1-85 experience is just a boring grind fest and it never gave any challenge to the player.

If they added a optional thing for players to make it more difficult that would be great. I'd love to band together at low levels with my friends and actually have a hard time doing some sort of challenging content.

Pandora's box of expediency and zero-risk gaming is wide open, and never being closed again.

Nevermind the fact that questing is boring BECAUSE it's been made so absurdly simplistic... any buffs or changes to make people think a bit while leveling is going to be met with torches and pitchforks wielded by the 'I have a job and family now' brigade.
    I also agree, but thats the whole optional idea of it. If you want a boring, easy, and fast way to level than go ahead, but for the people who want a fun and challenging addition there should be a choice to do that. I just can't think of much they can do, what do you guys think?
    Last edited by StrayFox; 2013-10-10 at 06:02 PM.

What would make it more challenging? I'm not sure. It's clearly a problem that levelling really only takes time and no knowledge of the game whatsoever. I don't die very often while levelling alts -- even when in the dungeon finder.

What would make it more interesting? I think that having a stronger over-arching story would be nice. Maybe give me options in dialogue that lead down different quest chains? Or perhaps more voice-acted quest givers. I want more immersion while levelling -- make it feel like an RPG. Maybe even have quest chains that showcase some of the bosses of the raids to get us excited for that and give them a little more back-story.

Quote Originally Posted by NazzixMTR View Post
    What would make it more challenging? I'm not sure. It's clearly a problem that levelling really only takes time and no knowledge of the game whatsoever. I don't die very often while levelling alts -- even when in the dungeon finder.

What would make it more interesting? I think that having a stronger over-arching story would be nice. Maybe give me options in dialogue that lead down different quest chains? Or perhaps more voice-acted quest givers. I want more immersion while levelling -- make it feel like an RPG. Maybe even have quest chains that showcase some of the bosses of the raids to get us excited for that and give them a little more back-story.
    Yes, this.

I love the idea of making it more engaging lore wise for sure, and I definitely agree that the challenge isn't there while questing. I think Blizzard should build questing on a chart of rising difficulty. The higher you level and more you play the game, the more difficult quests and dungeons get. That way Blizzard won't lose precious 'casuals' at the start of WoW because most likely since they put so much time into the game they won't quit at their first death. They can also learn the basics at lower levels and start learning advanced mechanics at higher levels.

And people with alts will get a boost in stats and exp gain if they WANT to (don't force it) the more capped characters they have (1 level 90 = 1% boost, 2 level 90s = 2% etc.)

Not sure if this will happen, but maybe.
    Last edited by StrayFox; 2013-10-10 at 06:16 PM.

I really would like more "puzzle" quests. The couple we had in Badlands were just a damn nice change to the overall feel. Don't want it in every quest mind, but stick something different in now and then to break it up?
    Warriors in PvP are like small hyperactive children in a candy shop made of bouncy castle.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If we are talking something optional why not just use less gear? if fights are too easy remove another item slot.

Herald of the Titans Deathgoose's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    So long as we have quests to collect 20 bear asses with 75% of said bears mysteriously having no asses, I don't think they need to make farm mobs seem like mini-heroic trash mobs.

To make leveling fun for me I want to only have to do 1 instance for every 10 levels, so basically only takes an hour or two from 1-90. Or an auto level button once you have done the awfulness that is leveling on 1 character.

Deleted
    Tying into the possibility of premade's which is thrown around every now and then: why not ramp up the difficulty of leveling a good amount and make it a means to reach max level with much better gear for raiding and other endgame content? Meanwhile if you just wanted a fresh lvl 90 you could make one, providing you had a max level character of the right class.

Quote Originally Posted by redwitchy View Post
    I really would like more "puzzle" quests. The couple we had in Badlands were just a damn nice change to the overall feel. Don't want it in every quest mind, but stick something different in now and then to break it up?
    Oh man I'd love more puzzle quests, I loved that quest in badlands. Also anything that encourages exploration of the land and lore I'd agree on as well.

Deleted
    Skipping the leveling process would be exciting.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join a pvp server. Ive had some pretty epic pvp low level battles

Quote Originally Posted by Naztrak View Post
    Skipping the leveling process would be exciting.

You see, attitudes like that make me a bit sad. Though I agree if you are leveling a alt for high level purposes leveling should be as quick as possible, but for a new player or someone who enjoys leveling (like me.) leveling should be there and it should be exciting so the journey is enjoyable that you don't constantly think. "I have to hit level cap, thats where all the fun is!"

I think challenge, more engaging quests/lore, class oriented scenarios, optional difficult content that rewards you for doing so (Titles, unique vanity gear, etc.), and maybe making every leveling experience feel a bit different could be an answer.

If you're looking for challenging stuff, you may be disappointed, I don't think WoW is ever going to bring back some of the stuff like elites that were hard to kill during questing or dungeons that require thought - believe me I miss it too. Sometimes you gotta go off the deep end like I did and make up your own challenges, I'm currently trying to do a solo clear of molten core on my lvl 60 paladin twink for example lol. World pvp is one of the few things left as well, just take that portal to outland, and you'll be fighting tons of horde/alliance in no time flat lol.

Quote Originally Posted by StrayFox View Post
    You see, attitudes like that make me a bit sad. Though I agree if you are leveling a alt for high level purposes leveling should be as quick as possible, but for a new player or someone who enjoys leveling (like me.) leveling should be there and it should be exciting so the journey is enjoyable that you don't constantly think. "I have to hit level cap, thats where all the fun is!"

I think challenge, more engaging quests/lore, class oriented scenarios, optional difficult content that rewards you for doing so (Titles, unique vanity gear, etc.), and maybe making every leveling experience feel a bit different could be an answer.
    This is why I say in order to use the "Auto Level button" you must have done the lame ass content that is leveling at least once already. Then have at it, but lets face it the game will probably be 100 levels soon, and that is extremely intimidating to a new player. This is why I don't see a whole lot of "New" players joining the game anymore. Maybe someone returning after 2 or so years that maybe has 15-30 levels to get to max not 100.

Deleted
    Honestly I would love it if they would just get rid of levels entirely. You shouldn't have to play for hours before unlocking the actual game, which is how leveling often feels. It would be much better to have complete openness - the ability to jump into any zone you want and start questing. "Higher lvl" zones could be more difficult in terms of mechanics and the gear you need of course, but as an experienced player you could theoretically skip straight to Pandaria.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    This is why I say in order to use the "Auto Level button" you must have done the lame ass content that is leveling at least once already. Then have at it, but lets face it the game will probably be 100 levels soon, and that is extremely intimidating to a new player. This is why I don't see a whole lot of "New" players joining the game anymore. Maybe someone returning after 2 or so years that maybe has 15-30 levels to get to max not 100.
    Yes, and I also want this guy to get a shortcut to max level, because its people like him who ruined leveling content for everyone else.

Herald of the Titans Valnoressa's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    More fun and imaginative quests and less "Collect x amount of item y. Item y has a stupidly low drop rate so you best murder the the entire species of something to obtain item y."

I get that collecting quests are the "RPG" classic heritage but when entire zones are stuffed to the brim with quests that require you to collect things like spider eyes, but not all spiders drop their eyes then it just feels like lazy quest design and artificially extending the zone with boring, tedious tasks.
    Butts.