Poll: Who do you side with in the Ashenvale conflict?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I play horde... but since Ashenvale is so damn awesome(before cata), I have to side with the tree hugging elves. Ashenvale was always one of my favorite zones and have great memories there so fuck the orcs!
    The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword.

I'd side with anyone who wanted to protect the forests. So yeah, Night Elves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kal'dorei of course.

If the Orcs want wood they can make a contract and buy some from the Kal'dorei. There is no need to plunder and pillage, if you're civilized.

Oh wait...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    "Hey, a beautiful, thriving forest with settlements, homes and indications of life. I'm sure that's deserted right!"
    From your skewed description, it doesn't sound like you played Warcraft 3 at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imadraenei View Post
    You can find that unbiased view somewhere between Atlantis and that unicorn farm down the street, just off Interstate √(-1).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironjaws-Mike View Post
    Well, honestly, I think most people and races would done as the nelves did. Just attack without warning when they see a threat appear at their border. Even more if its an alien species you never seen before (not sure if the nelves seen orcs before that, except a few?) that start to chop down their ancient forest.

And Grom? Wasn't he more like, chopping down nelves left and right? I don't think Cenarius wouldn't listen to a guy with an axe stained of his people blood and such.
    As far as I know, they knew about the Orcs, but hadn't made much contact with them in the past. Cenarius certainly knew of them, but he didn't know that they had broken free from the demonic curse, and when Grom told him, Cenarious did not listen.

Grom sure killed a lot of Night Elves, which isn't that surprising. The Orcs had no idea who the Night Elves were, so from their perspective they basically walked into a forest, started chopping trees down, and an (to them) "alien" race attacked them without explanation. I think he was within his rights to fight back.
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

So 23% of people would side with the group clearly in the wrong for no other reason than faction ties. Interesting. I actually expected higher tbh, so I guess I'm pleasantly surprise for once.

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    Quote Originally Posted by Rupture91 View Post
    I play horde... but since Ashenvale is so damn awesome(before cata), I have to side with the tree hugging elves. Ashenvale was always one of my favorite zones and have great memories there so fuck the orcs!
    Maybe I'm a despicable smartass, but I guess you don't play an orc character.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Kal'dorei of course.

If the Orcs want wood they can make a contract and buy some from the Kal'dorei. There is no need to plunder and pillage, if you're civilized.

Oh wait...
    Nice joke. You know, like if you could actually buy some wood by the night elves, which would imply that they would cut their own trees for trading purposes. Are you're realizing what you just said?

Before the conflict escalated to questionable levels in Cataclysm, these uncivilized animals in fact traded stuff with the elves. But wood...there's no trading there, they become absurdly mad if you cut a tree yourself, I can't even imagine a night elf cutting a tree by his/her own. Madness I say.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyblader View Post
    It's a general rule though that if you play horde you are a bad person irl. It's just a scientific fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    The game didn't give me any good reason to hate the horde. Forums did that.

The dumb tree's are "sentient" or whatever in the warcraft universe. They are just as important to Night Elves as the ancestor spirits are to Orcs.

Orcs are animals for cutting them down.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm Horde, but I'd like to see the night elves take their homeland back and start unleashing more of their strength. Lets get the tree ancients, stone giants, and other beasts of the forest back into the fray. Hippogryphs! Chimera!

Not a fan of most horde environmental behavior, despite all my characters being that faction.

Voting night elves was an easy choice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    Quote Originally Posted by laughtrey View Post
    The dumb tree's are "sentient" or whatever in the warcraft universe. They are just as important to Night Elves as the ancestor spirits are to Orcs.

So humans are animals for cutting down their good amount of trees in Elwynn?

No, trees are not sentient beings or whatever in the Warcraft universe, it's Ashenvale an exception, and I don't know if the trees there can be defined "sentient", it's mostly the night elves that developed a close affection to their trees, but I'm not 100% sure of this, so if there's any night elf fan correct me if I'm wrong (with some kind of source, possibly).

Anyway, the problem is that for someone habit to cut trees for sustaining survival/infrastructure, the act itself is hardly something evil, no matter how hard you try to understand the ideology of the other side.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    I'm Horde, but I'd like to see the night elves take their homeland back and start unleashing more of their strength. Lets get the tree ancients, stone giants, and other beasts of the forest back into the fray. Hippogryphs! Chimera!
    The chimeras in WoW are nothing compared to what they were in WC3. They were pretty huge and destructive, in WoW they just become pets.
    It's a general rule though that if you play horde you are a bad person irl. It's just a scientific fact.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    I can see the quests now.

"Hero! Go to Astranaar and peacefully purchase wood from the Night Elves."

Details: Barter a worthwhile price. Shake on it.
    You can find that unbiased view somewhere between Atlantis and that unicorn farm down the street, just off Interstate √(-1).

Quote Originally Posted by ragemv View Post
    there is no reason to stop that argument since it is true. But so you say because the orcs had to reason to think anyone lived there it is just okay to find a abandon house that turned out to be a church(since Ashenvale is still a religies place) THE NIGHT elf did not attack first, play god damn warcraft 3 first. Answer me this, Where the orcs attacked in ashenvale? yes, what where they doing? ripping down trees that means a lot to night elfs.

And YES Thrall said he wanted to build ogrimmar in durator as penance, IT IS NOT much of a penance for old crimes to start chupping down sacres tress and then killing the defenders of the tress. The night elves to not use all their land no, but Ashenvale belonged to the elves, the orcs had to right to acquire the wood without asking. All go back to IT is not a penance if you start to murder in order to get your way
    It wasn't a church it was a forest, like any other. They had no reason to believe the land belonged to anyone, much less that is held religious significance to someone. No one bats an eye at the lumbering in elwyen forest or plague lands. Although if Grom had know before hand its unlikely he would have changed his mind anyway.

And yes the nightelves did attack first, at the start of the mission your peons just chop down trees and are suddenly killed by nightelf archers. The elves attacked first and neither side saw any reason to negotiate. Before Grom went overboard and drank Mannoroth's blood (again), this was less of an issue of right and wrong or good and evil, but a matter of culture clash and each civilization putting their own desires ahead of the others.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by laughtrey View Post
    The humans did the same. Night Elves attacked them for having lumber camps as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxi View Post
    The humans did the same. Night Elves attacked them for having lumber camps as well.
    I remember that. seems like the real issue here is that tyrande is as bad a rageaholic as grom. Drove the nightelves into war against two factions when all 3 had a common enemy. I think it wasn't until malfurion showed up that they relalized they were all on the same team. Subsequently in the final night elf mission where all 3 factions defend hyjal together you see orc and human chopping down trees, theres even a lumbermill in the hyjal raid instance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxi View Post
    I can see the quests now.

"Hero! Go to Astranaar and peacefully purchase wood from the Night Elves."

Details: Barter a worthwhile price. Shake on it.
    Sometimes I love to imagine the humans in Durotar, all convinced to gather their needed lumber with sweet-talking and contrived diplomacy, with the elves that lovely answer with a FUCK OFF. Suddenly the orcs wouldn't look so uncivilized anymore.

I don't care. In fact, if everything north of Orgrimmar was deleted, I wouldn't miss it at all.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nazmina View Post
    It wasn't a church it was a forest, like any other.
    No, wrong, fact wrong, the forest is the a sacred place for the night elves, and so by cutting tress down the horde started the attacks. Yeah sure the night elves gave the first arrow shot, but the Orcs started it by cutting the tress down. So the orcs did start the clash, they started to cutting down the trees.
    And if they had no reason to belive one way or the other if it belonged to any one does that make it better? is it okay to invade, rob, cut down sacred places if you dont think it have any meaning to it? And then when the defenders come, to see some random animals cutting down tress should they then peacefully go over and say" yeah will you please stop cutting down the sacred tress?" No, they should not, they protected what was sacred to them when random " monsters" started to cut them down

Orcs would just demolish the zone utterly, and then move onto a new zone to demolish it - like a virus or some form of a parasite.

Elves want to nurture the land and, in reasonable amounts, harvest resources that can be renewed.

I definitely side with the elves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Blade View Post
    Elves aren't obligated to trade with the Orcs, and the survival of an enemy that doesn't give a shit about respecting their land, people and borders is hardly a selling point.
    They aren't obligated, but, funny thing, they did it before Shattering/Cata, after all trading is something of mutual benefit, not free help. The point is the night elves wouldn't trade lumber with anyone, be it humans, be it orcs, since that would imply cutting trees by their own, and the thought itself alone it's pretty surreal.