Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    @ eschatological . lowest part....

are we ignoring that our spells cost almost twice as much (if not triple) then 5.0?

Quote Originally Posted by Ronduwil View Post
    I don't have legendaries or BiS gear either but I never OOM because I'm consistently pop my mana tide as soon as it's efficient. Unfortunately I can't even do that easily in PG because I tend to fall behind on the constant barrage of damage that the NPCs take if I let mana tide go its full length. That's another problem you seldom have in raid. Unless something goes terribly wrong or you're trying a special tactic for a fight there is always a back-up healer to pick up the slack while you use your focus potion or your mana regen skill.
    Weird, I wonder if there is a talent for shamans that allow you to put down two water totems down at the same time. Oh, oops. Hell, I only leveled my shaman to 90 2 weeks ago, and I know that there is such a talent. Not to mention the only water totem that is rotational last 15s with a 30s CD, leaving you a free 15s for the 16s Mana Tide Totem even if you don't use Totemic Persistence. Unless you're literally saying the 1 GCD it costs to cast mana tide totem is too costly a GCD which causes you to fall behind on healing, which I outright don't believe.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sagajin View Post
    @ eschatological . lowest part....

are we ignoring that our spells cost almost twice as much (if not triple) then 5.0?
    Are we ignoring how OP MWs were in the first tier of content and how their mana costs brought them more in line with other healers?

Or are we ignoring that heroic encounters, even in MSV, were still more mechanically difficult than anything asked of (the general) you in PGs?

just saying... they dont play the same like in mogu raids like you claimd thats all

I found it interesting enough, I just thought it would have been a little more aimed at teaching you the skills of your class. Applying slows, stuns, applying CC, interrupting abilities that damn near kill you or otherwise hinder your performance in the instance (KT's Frostbolt, Stormcaller Brundir's Lightning Whirl), kiting adds, target switching, avoiding standing in void zones, knowing when to AOE and when to single target DPS focus burn mobs.

I'm not a huge fan of the scaling factor though. I understand the theory behind it, and so you can;t just overlevel and powerhouse your way through it, but as a fury warrior who relies heavily on a stat like crit which determines whether I am to able to use some of my abilities, it's annoying having the stat gutted back to 463 item level amounts. Maybe 496 would have been nicer.
    Last edited by Cernunnos; 2013-10-13 at 08:23 AM.
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blachshma View Post
    After getting the title on my tank, I tried Endless on my holy priest and gotta say, it feels impossible. I only reached wave 9 once but most times I can't make it past wave 5 (even if I GS the tank and channel DH). I tried changing reforges from haste to crit and vice versa, changed FDCL to mindbender and vice versa, but the damage spikes are laughable as any member can get one shotted at any time. I run with over 9.5k spirit and mostly use Renew + Heal with the occasional GH, Cascade (refreshes Renew), and glyphed BH for emergency (refreshes 3 Renews) and I consider myself a fairly solid Hpriest, but I can't seem to be able to keep my mana, even by using Mindbender + Trinket on cd. I don't know if the spec is just bad for Endless or I'm doing something wrong but this is very frustrating.
    I don't know much about Holy, but here are some of my thoughts on this topic in random order:

-I'd suggest dropping Cascade. Even though it refreshes renews, there are very few times where you'd want 5 renews refreshed and it's a pretty big mana sink.. Sticking to Serenity + Heal refreshes is probably better.

-I would also check if I'm close to hitting an (unglyphed) renew breakpoint in downscaled gear and go for it. If not stick to as much mastery as possible I guess.

-Twist of Fate is an amazing talent for Priests in general. You can probably have close to 100% uptime in PG, just throw a Holy Fire at the mob your group is currently focusing when it's low hp (you can also learn the pattern to easily predict which one their going to focus). In a pinch you can also use Divine Star (assuming you took it over Cascade).

- Make sure you're prioritizing the correct targets. Sometimes for example I will delay my dispel a bit to top someone with the tunneler debuff first. As an other example, I am always my last priority because I know I won't get hit by the environmental effects and I can use a Healthstone if things get problematic.

-Grip party members if they stand in the fire

-Learn to predict the incoming damage. Sometimes you need to use big heals (FH, PoH), sometimes you can wait and let more efficient heals to do their job. Although certainly do not be afraid to use PoH if all your party is low.

-Are you using Void Shift to deal with one of those damage spikes? Void shift+Healthstone+Desperate Prayer is essentially a Lay on Hands on a 5min cd.

- Make sure you use a a flask + 300 stat food (ideally both intellect)

- I don't know what trinket you're using, but some have really poor downscaled versions. If I remember correctly Relic of Chi-Ji and Spirits of the Sun are very good PG trinkets. That definitely shouldn't matter for gold, but if you are really struggling getting a relic might help.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rhapso View Post
    I really like the challenge of proving grounds, but I dont like that it is so much easier with higher ilvl gear because of the increases number of sockets on gear and that I have to make a completely different set for it - and I'm not talking about healers only, same goes for tanks.
    Doing them in actual 463-476ilvl gear is a completely different thing that with current 2-3 socket items and sadly the tank PG revolves a lot around kiting and letting your healer offtank some mobs, which isn't my idea of being a good tank.
    I actually managed to a reasonable wave (123) as a BrM tank in mostly pvp gear (granted, it is semi-custom-made as a CM set with 0 mastery) but still with very few sockets and bad socket bonusses so I don't think the gain in a few extra sockets will do to much of a difference.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by honj90 View Post
    I don't know much about Holy, but here are some of my thoughts on this topic in random order:

<snip awesome class/spec specific tips>
    I think it might be quite nice of these popped up as hints while doing Proving Grounds, maybe after a fail. They'd probably be easier to keep up to date compared to mob dialogue or other scripted events as well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    I actually managed to a reasonable wave (123) as a BrM tank in mostly pvp gear (granted, it is semi-custom-made as a CM set with 0 mastery) but still with very few sockets and bad socket bonusses so I don't think the gain in a few extra sockets will do to much of a difference.
    Why would you torture yourself that way man, why? If thats fun to you well good I guess, I'd be done with it after wave 30 but thats just me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollfaced View Post
    Why would you torture yourself that way man, why? If thats fun to you well good I guess, I'd be done with it after wave 30 but thats just me.
    You know, I asked myself the same question getting past wave 50. 2 hours, 6 minutes was the time overall, and just a second of being unfocused killed me.

15+ Year Old Account
    Deffo agree about the checkpoints, At least for the same instance. If we leave the instance its reseted and we'll have to go from start.
    Dunno about dps and tanks, but that would kinda deafeat the point as healer. I find the challenge to be in managing my mana, so if I could just go in and out every 10th wave, I'd be going on forever... Would definitly live up to the name "Endless mode" though.

Quote Originally Posted by Duridi View Post
    Dunno about dps and tanks, but that would kinda deafeat the point as healer. I find the challenge to be in managing my mana, so if I could just go in and out every 10th wave, I'd be going on forever... Would definitly live up to the name "Endless mode" though.
    You get to drink to full mana after every 10th wave so what's the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by honj90 View Post

-I'd suggest dropping Cascade. Even though it refreshes renews, there are very few times where you'd want 5 renews refreshed and it's a pretty big mana sink.. Sticking to Serenity + Heal refreshes is probably better.

-I would also check if I'm close to hitting an (unglyphed) renew breakpoint in downscaled gear and go for it. If not stick to as much mastery as possible I guess.

-Twist of Fate is an amazing talent for Priests in general. You can probably have close to 100% uptime in PG, just throw a Holy Fire at the mob your group is currently focusing when it's low hp (you can also learn the pattern to easily predict which one their going to focus). In a pinch you can also use Divine Star (assuming you took it over Cascade).

- Make sure you're prioritizing the correct targets. Sometimes for example I will delay my dispel a bit to top someone with the tunneler debuff first. As an other example, I am always my last priority because I know I won't get hit by the environmental effects and I can use a Healthstone if things get problematic.

-Grip party members if they stand in the fire

-Learn to predict the incoming damage. Sometimes you need to use big heals (FH, PoH), sometimes you can wait and let more efficient heals to do their job. Although certainly do not be afraid to use PoH if all your party is low.

-Are you using Void Shift to deal with one of those damage spikes? Void shift+Healthstone+Desperate Prayer is essentially a Lay on Hands on a 5min cd.

- Make sure you use a a flask + 300 stat food (ideally both intellect)

- I don't know what trinket you're using, but some have really poor downscaled versions. If I remember correctly Relic of Chi-Ji and Spirits of the Sun are very good PG trinkets. That definitely shouldn't matter for gold, but if you are really struggling getting a relic might help.
    Good tips here, thanks. But I think I'll stick to the spirit flask, I can't affrod losing any spirit at this point.

I've never been one for wave type games, I think I made it to gold first time doing the tank one, died on like the 9th wave or so and went eh I don't feel like going through 8 waves of this crap again.

Its also kind of stale as a bear tank because the whole expansion I've worked to get to the point where I have all this crit and haste so I can have tons of RPS and then to go in and have it all taken away makes it even more boring when your used to critting 75% of the time. I think the better solution would have been to make the mobs scale up to your ilvl rather than you scale down.

Quote Originally Posted by Duridi View Post
    Since you can drink after 10 waves anyway, it wouldn't hurt to fill up your mana bar and go when ready for the next 10 waves. I mean, you passed the current 10, so why do you have to prove you can do it all over again. The whole point in Endless are the buffs the mobs are getting after each wave, and every set of 10 waves is tougher than the previous ones. If I passed one set, I'd like to be able to practice on the next. If you do the analogy to raids, once you've cleared a raid on normal mode, you can go HC. You can also go for more normal runs, but you aren't forced to, you can switch exclusively to HC.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    Kudos to that, but I didn't say it was impossible, I just mentioned that it is a huge difference. Moreso the sheer dominance of monks in the tank bracket seems to indicate your toolkit is wastly better than any other tanks, which decreases the need to have an optimal gear (and pvp gear isnt different to pve gear, with the exception of pvp trinkets anymore - just added resilence-stats that dont take points away from your ilvl).
    What doesn't kill me gives me Vengeance.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...psody/advanced

Deleted
    Good tips here, thanks. But I think I'll stick to the spirit flask, I can't affrod losing any spirit at this point.
    Assuming your stat priorities are something like spirit (to X amount)>intellect>other secondary stats, which sounds reasonable in downscaled gear, if you wanted to be optimal you would need to:

1. Reforge for maximum spirit
    2.Use pure spirit gems on all sockets, ignoring socket bonuses (exception possibly helm)
    3. Only if you still haven't reached the X amount of spirit you set at the start you should use spirit consumables.

The reason is that in gems you can trade 160int to get 320 spirit (so 1:2) while in consumables you trade 1000 int to get 1000 spirit (1:1). Even forgoing the socket bonuses for pure spirit gems is a better trade than that.

EDIT: Obviously if you don't want to reforge/re-gem specifically for PG you might need spirit flasks. Personally I avoid them at all costs though
    Last edited by mmoc0d1056ec69; 2013-10-13 at 03:34 PM.

Deleted
    I really enjoyed the proving grounds at both DPS and tanking role, I think it is a new fun little feature they added to the game, gives us something else to do

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Glurp View Post
    You get to drink to full mana after every 10th wave so what's the difference?
    Since you can drink after 10 waves anyway, it wouldn't hurt to fill up your mana bar and go when ready for the next 10 waves. I mean, you passed the current 10, so why do you have to prove you can do it all over again. The whole point in Endless are the buffs the mobs are getting after each wave, and every set of 10 waves is tougher than the previous ones. If I passed one set, I'd like to be able to practice on the next. If you do the analogy to raids, once you've cleared a raid on normal mode, you can go HC. You can also go for more normal runs, but you aren't forced to, you can switch exclusively to HC.
    OMG. How on earth did I miss that?
    Last edited by Duridi; 2013-10-13 at 04:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HavelTheRock View Post
    I think a lot of people forget that it's not intended as another end game feature it's for new players to learn basic mechanics such as interrupts, avoiding shit and standing behind (at least for dps I haven't tried tank/heals). They've said a few times it may replace ilvl as requirements for LFG tool, which if they do I think is a great idea. Someone's who done a little bit of that IMO is better to take than someone who's dinged 90 gone straight to TI and decked out 496+ only to find out they have no idea how to play the game.
    Something for the new player should seriously not exist at the fucking level cap only :x

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Otiswhitaker View Post
    Something for the new player should seriously not exist at the fucking level cap only :x
    As it is there are complaints that certain specs don't have the tools to deal with the challenges very well. This would be even worse if you were able to access it before max level when all your abilities were unlocked.