Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tiffy33 View Post
    Its not their money. They didnt earn it and they arent paying it back. Its stealing.
    You didn't "earn" the subsidy on your student loans. People like me worked their way through school, taking time off as needed to be able to afford it without help. Perhaps I feel cheated that you used my tax money when I went to school on nothing but my hard work. Maybe you shouldn't have gone to school if you couldn't afford it.

That's how silly you sound.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    People are getting unemployment? It's been what, two weeks? Last time I filed for unemployment, the verification letter took 8 weeks to get to my house, and that was just Step 1.
    You had a hard time once so LETS MAKE EVERYBODY HAVE A HARD TIME ALL THE TIME. MUHUHAHAHAHAHA.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    Wouldn't be that bad or even much difference. There will still be plenty of liberal arts graduates to flip burgers
    Thats true enough, maybe under qualified for burger flipping though, they need to spend a few years cleaning out the grease first and work their way up.

Deleted
    In Sweden you "repay" welfare when you get a job and start paying taxes.
    Assuming the person gets a job. Some jobs have such low pay that staying on welfare is the better option.
    I think the welfare-system is pretty okay but should be narrowed down to natives/citizens and not foreigners.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Thats true enough, maybe under qualified for burger flipping though, they need to spend a few years cleaning out the grease first and work their way up.
    That's after they're promoted from bathroom duty.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MrApple View Post
    I think the welfare-system is pretty okay but should be narrowed down to natives/citizens and not foreigners.
    No, not unless you love dealing with more crime.

Deleted
    If I had my way there would be compulsory work for the able bodied if they wanted to collect benefits, simple tasks such as grounds keeping, street cleaning or helping other members of society such as the elderly. Not full time work of course, they should have plenty of time off to look for proper employment.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    That's after they're promoted from bathroom duty.

- - - Updated - - -

No, not unless you love dealing with more crime.
    Who commits the crime if you extract all illegal immigrants instantly?

One is allowed to dream isnt he? Anyways... steering a bit off topic!

10+ Year Old Account
    People are getting unemployment? It's been what, two weeks? Last time I filed for unemployment, the verification letter took 8 weeks to get to my house, and that was just Step 1.
    The people getting back pay are not, since they where required to go to work despite not being paid. The ones who where sent home where in effect laid off and could apply for unemployment.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    If only.

One would think those community service firms that take convicts would be all over it.

Deleted
    If I had my way there would be compulsory work for the able bodied if they wanted to collect benefits, simple tasks such as grounds keeping, street cleaning or helping other members of society such as the elderly. Not full time work of course, they should have plenty of time off to look for proper employment.

i think it could work only for people that have been on unemployment for a year or more, no need to make someone do that sort of work if they just lost their job but find a new one in a 2months, but people who are unemployed for longer than a year, simply are not either not looking hard enough, their CV is terrible or just suck at interviews.

Welfare is payment for services rendered (voting). Nothing is owed as long as the recipient continues supporting the state and its kleptocracy.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ok I have never been on it and dont know anyone who has. I did take out student loans, which I guess is a type of government assistance, and I have to pay those back. So is welfare the same? Do people have to pay back what they received once they get a real job and are making enough money to cover all of their expenses. If not, why the hell not? I mean they are basically stealing money from tax payers right? If I take out a loan from the bank and dont repay it they come either repo my car or foreclose on my home becuase that money belongs to the bank. So if people refuse to repay welfare arent they stealing from the tax payers and government? I understand some people need assistance, just like when people take out student loans, but why shouldnt they have to pay it back?
    No, because people on welfare often don't have the means to repay something like that. A student gets his/her education payed for with loans, it's not a bear neccessity to survive. Often, welfare is just to give someone money to survive on, as it is in my case. An analogy I can make is: A bank doesn't give a loan to someone they don't think can repay that loan. Welfare isn't meant as a final solution, it's just to keep people from falling through the net.

Welfare is given to you both out of interest in seeing you flourish as a human being, becoming a successful member of society and for keeping crime rates low.

It's not a debt, it's more of a grant; an investment.
    Last edited by Dezerte; 2013-10-16 at 08:02 PM.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Typically people won't repay back an even amount, or earn a profit for the Government, but that isn't the intention of Welfare.

wouldnt the money be better spent on scholarships for college and training so people can actually learn to do something? Why not take all the money being wasted on welfare and start up schools those people can go to so they can learn how to do something. Or use the money to create more jobs. Just throwing it away seems like a waste.

- - - Updated - - -

Its not their money. They didnt earn it and they arent paying it back. Its stealing.
    Please, go educate yourself before posting such absurds.

First, giving everyone better education is in most case equal keeping everything the same.
    When everyone gets better education, jobs will up their requirements, because there is only so much need for jobs with expertise levels, wile the majority of work is physical, and pays very little. Do you know why they pay little? It's not because its easy, in fact they are worse jobs, and take a major toll on you compared to desk jobs, but they pay really bad, not because you did not need high education to enter, but because there is ALOT of people that NEED those jobs and that can do it.

Educating people does not suddenly make then leave poverity.
    What happens is that people that somehow get educated, when the great majority does not, gains an advantage and thus get payd better. If everyone gets education, its the same as no one getting it.

Yes, education can change a country, but it is not that blessed all win thing that people like to believe.

And no, the amount of money used to pay for welfare would make no real difference on the education expendure that could help those people.
    Think straight for a minute, the amount of money needed to keep a family of 4 with food, and the amount that would cost to give training and school to 4 persons. I'ts absurdly more costly to educate them, and the government would not be able to pay that.

So to be HUMANE we help those people giving then something to eat.

They are not stealing. When you see someone in need and you give then something to eat, they STOLEN?
    NO!
    You, being a good human being, and knowing that this person is in need, go out of your way, even if it cost you a little, and help, because that is the right thing to do, because lefting someone with nothing to eat is monstruous.

Stealing is "To take (the property of another) without right or permission.".
    They HAVE permission, and RIGHT.

They have permission because we allow that, by democratic ways. (In a democracy not everyone that pays tax needs to aprove, only the politics chosen by majority.)

They have the right because we created laws to support it, that passed on senates, and on judiciary system.

So go think about it, do you really want those people to have nothing to eat?
    Even if they WERE worthless, lazy people, wich they are NOT, at last the majority are not.
    You want to sentence then to starve?
    If you want that, then you are a really insane horrenduous human being.

Those people just had the wrong live, they could had been in your place, and you could had being the one in need of assistence.
    It's all about what happens in your life, what you learn, and what kind of people you met.
    Don't come here thinking that someone from middle class has the same chance of sucess then someone that lived with poor parents.
    Their lives are so completly different, on every level, including cultural that this is more then an offense to the intellect to belive in that.

Seriously go educate yourself on the issue.
    Start with maybe Michael Sandel, and then go after some descent sociology books on the issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    In my country if you quit a job or get fired from one and you go and apply for the Unemployment Benefit there is a 6 week stand down regardless if you have money or not,but when you get on it they back pay you from the day you applied for it.
    Only time people have to repay welfare over here is if you found a job but dont inform your case manager, so technically you getting paid by the government and your current employer, usually people will try and scam the government by opening another bank account and putting there actual pay into that one while the dole money goes into there normal account, IRD finds out they always do and these people usually end up paying back the money like $10 a week or face jail for fraud.
    Last edited by starkey; 2013-10-16 at 08:06 PM.
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

Deleted
    well as i see it people are paying it back trough taxes, then they get a job. And ofc there will be ppl who will need a helping hand that will never get jobs, which is very few that the welfare should take care of.

Cosigned heartily. There's plenty of menial work that needs doing. If we're going to pay people to not work, we may as well pay them to work instead.

wouldnt the money be better spent on scholarships for college and training so people can actually learn to do something? Why not take all the money being wasted on welfare and start up schools those people can go to so they can learn how to do something. Or use the money to create more jobs. Just throwing it away seems like a waste.

- - - Updated - - -

This is kind of dumb, and you should feel bad for thinking this.

First, education is great, but welfare is not about the long run. As was mentioned welfare puts food on the table now. Money for college could put food on the table in the future, but damn it I'm hungry tonight. A 16 week course on business administration doesn't feed my family.

Also, no it's not stealing. It's given. If I GIVE you my laptop, you did nothing to earn it and you won't be paying for it. It was given freely. Is that also stealing?
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

In the case of fraud, yea.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.