Poll: Thoughts?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 30 of 37 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzalix View Post
    *sigh*

Sorry, I'm just having a hard time staying sane here.

Ok, deep breath, let's try this.

The squish causes problems, that will be fixed. Old raid soloing won't be affected in the end, because there will be a fix.

Really, large changes always cause issues. This is sorta common sense 101 here, but I feel like I need to explain it. Large changes causes issues. Which is why when a large change is implemented, you will have to check around and make sure it doesn't break other stuff. This is what the old raid buff is.
    In other words, it's flawed. If I make a new system to replace a current good functioning system and tell my boss that in order for the new system to work, we either need to keep the old system or add a second system, he won't tell me that I did a good job. He would tell me that my system is flawed and that I would need to redesign it or he would simply keep the old system.
    Simply adding a buff to negate the squish is exactly that, adding a second system to mask a flaw in the new design.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Pearl View Post
    In other words, it's flawed. If I make a new system to replace a current good functioning system and tell my boss that in order for the new system to work, we either need to keep the old system or add a second system, he won't tell me that I did a good job. He would tell me that my system is flawed and that I would need to redesign it.
    Simply adding a buff to negate the squish is exactly that, adding a second system to mask a flaw in the new design.
    You are (deliberately, I imagine) ignoring the small consideration that the Squish is solving a problem that cannot be ignored.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    You are (deliberately, I imagine) ignoring the small consideration that the Squish is solving a problem that cannot be ignored.
    You're talking about boss health?

Yes, the way they are exceeding 32 bit bounds.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler

Deleted
    What did they stop them to make only the "Boss Health" field in their database 64bits ?

15+ Year Old Account
    I think MMO-Champ should only give people the ability to make polls if they have exceeded 1,000 posts. Then they'd be, at least, less likely to be as biased as this one.

I didn't vote because my option isn't on there, OP. I welcome the stat squish and I will not feel my character has gotten weaker, since EVERYTHING ELSE AROUND ME will have the same done to it.

They're just shaving off some 0's. Big whoop.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

Quote Originally Posted by vandam View Post
    What did they stop them to make only the "Boss Health" field in their database 64bits ?
    Obviously they must have looked at solutions like this, and decided the item squish made more sense.

The point I was trying to make is that you can't just say "the solution has a FLAW! Burn it!", since any solution to the problem will have its pluses and minuses. Engineering is about choosing the best solution, not the perfect solution.

Oh boy, sounds like there's some computers that will explode.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenixdown View Post
    They're just shaving off some 0's. Big whoop.
    Eh no. Just shaving off some zeroes is the megadamage solution, but then without the K at the end.

- - - Updated - - -

Obviously they must have looked at solutions like this, and decided the item squish made more sense.

The point I was trying to make is that you can't just say "the solution has a FLAW! Burn it!", since any solution to the problem will have its pluses and minuses. Engineering is about choosing the best solution, not the perfect solution.
    I'm not saying to scrap the whole idea, I'm saying there needs to be a redesign.

Oh boy, sounds like there's some computers that will explode.
    Changing everything would just be a small matter of programming, which as all forum experts know is totally free, right?

Those actually working on the game systems are obviously too ignorant to have evaluated the costs and benefits of the various alternatives themselves. I'm glad you're here (or maybe on your throne on Mt. Olympus) to set them straight.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not saying to scrap the whole idea, I'm saying there needs to be a redesign.
    And you are not presenting any good justification for that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    TC: "If we don't do the item squish it's going to require a lot of re-engineering of our combat code to actually support bigger numbers. We're getting really close to the point where the code can't..."
    CS: "Yeah, the code can't compile the numbers"
    TC: "Yeah it can't compile the numbers, so we are testing the item squish internally with the expansion, and I think a good time to launch it would be right before the next expansion so people are already used to it by the time the expansion launches. So, that's the current plan, but we'll see how it works out. I hope we can." (Source)

10+ Year Old Account
    This poll was written by an idiot.

Try doing a 25 man raid right now. See that lag?

THAT'S why they're doing a number crunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Xisa View Post

I don't know what game you are playing but in World of Warcraft the lag input has absolutly nothing to do with "big numbers".

Deleted
    I'd love to go back to where we were in Wrath of the Lick King, in terms of dps, hp and healing.

And you are not presenting any good justification for that.
    I'm not?

Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    TC: "If we don't do the item squish it's going to require a lot of re-engineering of our combat code to actually support bigger numbers. We're getting really close to the point where the code can't..."
    CS: "Yeah, the code can't compile the numbers"
    TC: "Yeah it can't compile the numbers, so we are testing the item squish internally with the expansion, and I think a good time to launch it would be right before the next expansion so people are already used to it by the time the expansion launches. So, that's the current plan, but we'll see how it works out. I hope we can." (Source)
    So instead of fixing that, they're going to reduce the numbers now. And then again in 2-3 expansions and 2-3 expansions after that over and over? I don't know what's more work, 2-3 years to implement a solution that will work for the next 20 years, or 2 years to squish numbers and than every 3 year later half a year to do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Xisa View Post

That has nothing to do with the numbers...

The stat squish will be good for the UI so you're not seeing extra digits on screen.

Other than that I don't think my characters "power" will feel weakened. Every NPC will also be affected by the change so this "feeling" or belief that you are getting weaker holds no water.

Quote Originally Posted by HeedmySpeed View Post
    The stat squish will be good for the UI so you're not seeing extra digits on screen.

Other than that I don't think my characters "power" will feel weakened. Every NPC will also be affected by the change so this "feeling" or belief that you are getting weaker holds no water.
    There are already multiple ways to not see those extra digits and yes it does.

10+ Year Old Account
    So instead of fixing that, they're going to reduce the numbers now. And then again in 2-3 expansions and 2-3 expansions after that over and over? I don't know what's more work, 2-3 years to implement a solution that will work for the next 20 years, or 2 years to squish numbers and than every 3 year later half a year to do it again.
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler
    Re: item squish. Programmers rarely tell you no. They tell you how long something will take and what you have to give up to get it. (Source)
    Squishing is the more economical solution to re-engineering their 9-year-old combat code. The squish was already working and being tested internally back before MoP.

And you really expect them to do something that will last 20 years? The game is barely about to hit 9 years old and is on its 4th expansion. 3 expansions from 6.0 when they're hoping to do the squish is over 50% of its current age...
    Last edited by Aquamonkey; 2013-10-16 at 10:35 PM.

Deleted
    The hell is up with the totally bias poll choices?

Your character won't be getting weaker.
    Eagerly await the day that I don't have a heap of pointless decimal places clogging up every item / input and output.

It goes against everything that I learned in artificial intelligence.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thyranne View Post
    I don't know what game you are playing but in World of Warcraft the lag input has absolutly nothing to do with "big numbers".
    That's because it's not input lag sally.

It's server-side processing slowdown. Numbers are not processed client-side. This isn't some silly little addon issue. The underlying game engine wasn't never meant to handle that kind of load.