Page 28 of 45 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    So what I did yesterday : I farmed some more ores in the hardmode world. Then i went to my little jungle farm ( easymode ) world and got me the jungle chakram thingy. Was not too useful though. I also crafted some mythril melee weapons and while they are melee and I want something ranged for bosses, they work quite well against normal mobs.

Then I created a new small easymode world that will be my home from now on. I wont do much exploring there, just build my house at the top of a hill so that zombies can not walk in and collect all the valuables in that world. Gonna build a huge house with tons of chests and some deco and make it my storage world.

Speaking of which : I wanted to set up some defenses so that ideally the zombies kill themself. Few questions about that : is it possible to transport lava ? I would like to make some lava lakes at both sides of my house. ( i think back to Minecraft where you could farm water and lava spawners and place them where you want, or use a bucket to transport it ). I also mined some spikes in the dungeon, will those hurt mobs when they walk into them ? Also farmed some dart traps and many pressure plates. What is the best way to build a defense for the house ?
    Last edited by Twoflower; 2013-10-16 at 02:15 PM.
    Ecce homo ergo elk

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twoflower View Post
    is it possible to transport lava?
    Make bucket, fill bucket, profit!
    I also mined some spikes in the dungeon, will those hurt mobs when they walk into them ? Also farmed some dart traps and many pressure plates. What is the best way to build a defense for the house ?
    Don't know about spikes as I've never used them, but darts can be set to autofire on timers based on the quality of watch you use.
    BAD WOLF

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Am I the only one the prefers the old corruption over the new crimson?

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post

Don't know about spikes as I've never used them, but darts can be set to autofire on timers based on the quality of watch you use.
    I just saw that I can even make a pipeline to transport lava I will make huge lakes all around my house
    Last edited by Twoflower; 2013-10-16 at 02:36 PM.
    Ecce homo ergo elk

Quote Originally Posted by rylangel View Post
    Honey Blocks are acquired by dripping honey onto water and mining it, much like obsidian. This also slows down the Player.

http://terraria.wikia.com/wiki/Honey_Block

I know it says player, but at least from what I could observe, it slows enemies too, but not flying enemies (obviously).

I would also recommend laying out a layer or two of honey on top of them. Slows enemies down A LOT. If you get the hive wand from the queen bee boss, you have unlimited honey forever.
    Well we would want to put lava on top of them. We are making improvements to our lava pits surrounding our home entrance. Block effects would still work with lava on top right?

thanks for the honey block idea, i will pass it on.

Quote Originally Posted by Treeskee View Post
    So has the contents of the halloween patch (or a date) been posted anywhere yet? I'm actually pretty excited for this
    I haven't found any, only the teaser image that I posted a couple of pages previous.

So what I did yesterday : I farmed some more ores in the hardmode world. Then i went to my little jungle farm ( easymode ) world and got me the jungle chakram thingy. Was not too useful though. I also crafted some mythril melee weapons and while they are melee and I want something ranged for bosses, they work quite well against normal mobs.
    Told you.

Speaking of which : I wanted to set up some defenses so that ideally the zombies kill themself. Few questions about that : is it possible to transport lava ? I would like to make some lava lakes at both sides of my house. ( i think back to Minecraft where you could farm water and lava spawners and place them where you want, or use a bucket to transport it ). I also mined some spikes in the dungeon, will those hurt mobs when they walk into them ? Also farmed some dart traps and many pressure plates. What is the best way to build a defense for the house ?
    According to the wiki: "Lava can be moved by the player via a bucket or pump." I can't speak for anything else, I haven't done any traps / afk farming / whatever.

Then I created a new small easymode world that will be my home from now on. I wont do much exploring there, just build my house at the top of a hill so that zombies can not walk in and collect all the valuables in that world. Gonna build a huge house with tons of chests and some deco and make it my storage world.

As they said, buckets to transport lava, when you get pumps, it gets easier because pumping liquid from one location to another in a closed box actually makes more liquid then what you originally started with.

for home defense, its better to start out with your home a little off the ground. leave enough space on both ends, your foundation should be off the ground with a wood platform to drop down under the house to exit in the middle. Then dig out pits on both sides. To make this really work you want actuator items so you can flip a switch and make the top blocks dissapear, leaving the lava on the bottom so creatures have to walk through the lava to get to your house entrance. then put doors to make them stay in the lava as long as possible. when invasions happen, flip the switch, stand in the middle inbetween both lava pits, wait for invasion to finish, then collect the loot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post

or you could make the in and out pipes with wiring..

He may not have gotten to unlocking the wiring yet.

I also mined some spikes in the dungeon, will those hurt mobs when they walk into them ?
    'Fraid not - spikes only affect players not mobs. Useful in multiplayer PvP, useless in single player except for decoration (just make sure it's out of the way!)

10+ Year Old Account
    Huh... If you fly away form Plantera while it's on the surface you can actually making it detach, and it will slowly float in whatever direction it was going until it's dead

From twitter: "Creeper costume for the upcoming Halloween update. Thanks @notch pic.twitter.com/p95swcyLha"

Click to view the (slightly) bigger image:

Source.

On the topic of transitioning to hardmode: I haven't done it in a while (with the new patch I played on a fresh character/world up to unlocking hardmode, then went and got all the stuff I already had from previous playthroughs). But from what I remember of how I did it the first time:

The clockwork assault rifle is amazing. Kill the wall of flesh till you get one (killing it should be reasonably easy with full meteor armor + gun). Once you have that, and preferably a set of at least cobalt armor with the ranged helmet, you should be ready to try a hardmode boss. I think the easiest one for me was actually the Twins. You'll want to have crystal bullets for the twins or skeletron, and meteor bullets for the destroyer. Build 2 really long skybridges out of platforms, with a gap between them of about half the screen height. Then stock up on health potions, as well as health regen and iron skin. With a reasonable amount of skill, you should be able to kill yourself a hardmode boss, and things will start getting much easier (I think it took me a 4-5 tries to get the hang of dodging the attacks and get my first kill).

Good luck. The whole hardmode bosses spawning on their own thing does sound like it would suck for someone trying to get up to the level where they can fight them... not sure what they were thinking adding that in.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was also kinda bummed that the Hardmode locked chests neglected a bow infavour of 2 melee type weapons, a staff and gun.

So yesterday I bulit some more on my home house and started bringing chests and treasures over into my new home world. I will have to dig down to the lava eventually, but first I got to build some pumps.

I did farm my hardmode world some more too. Broke 9 more demon altars ( after allready breaking 12! ) and started finding some titanium finally! Also found some underground glowing mushroom biomes. Also found something in the desert that looks like the dungeon, but in a piramid graphic style. It was just one long descending tunnel though, 2 chests in it, and no monsters at all.

Had the twins spawn on me again. Was unprepared, no potions, no campfires, didnt get the golden shower spell yet. So i flew around like crazy and kept shooting my mythril crossbow at them. Eventually died when I had them at about 55%. Is definitly doable, but I need more preparation.

I got so distracted with altars and ores that my ichor farming for the spell got kinda forgotten ^^ But I will keep at it tonigth and see that I can finish my golden shower spell, then it's destroyer time ^^
    Ecce homo ergo elk

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Treeskee View Post
    I was also kinda bummed that the Hardmode locked chests neglected a bow infavour of 2 melee type weapons, a staff and gun.
    uh... a melee gun?

- - - Updated - - -

my world is 14% hallow 3% crimson which is odd since i cant find anymore crimson ive cleansed all the obvious places and the floating islands and dug some random shafts around the crimson and couldnt find any

Quote Originally Posted by Davemetalhead View Post
    'Fraid not - spikes only affect players not mobs. Useful in multiplayer PvP, useless in single player except for decoration (just make sure it's out of the way!)
    Too bad ^^ They hurt a lot, would have been a nice defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Achaman View Post
    my world is 14% hallow 3% crimson which is odd since i cant find anymore crimson ive cleansed all the obvious places and the floating islands and dug some random shafts around the crimson and couldnt find any
    A friend of mine claimed that you lose the game if the world ever turns into 100% corruption/crimson, which got me worried a little bit. It's probably just a rumor though. Is it even possible ? isnt there always some rest of hallowed biome around ?

I turned my world into Hardmode a week ago and crimson is still only at 10%. I imagined it spreading much faster. Gotta check tonigth if it increased at all or if it is even stationary.
    Ecce homo ergo elk

A friend of mine claimed that you lose the game if the world ever turns into 100% corruption/crimson, which got me worried a little bit. It's probably just a rumor though. Is it even possible ? isnt there always some rest of hallowed biome around ?

I turned my world into Hardmode a week ago and crimson is still only at 10%. I imagined it spreading much faster. Gotta check tonigth if it increased at all or if it is even stationary.
    I never heard about it, and frankly, its impossible for world to turn 100% corrupted without magnificent effort, like digging up everything that cant be turned (that is, about 25% of the map).

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    I never heard about it, and frankly, its impossible for world to turn 100% corrupted without magnificent effort, like digging up everything that cant be turned (that is, about 25% of the map).
    Yeah that's what I thougth aswell. I did not really believe him anyway ^^ Thanks for reassuring me

- - - Updated - - -

So I found another hour yesterday to dig around a bit more. Full titanium armor now Also transfered most of my stuff from my farm world to my home world. Home is decorated now Love the look of the obsidian deco items.

Still have to farm ichors for the golden shower. Then it's destroyer time. Hope this will go down well ^^ ( Probably tonigth )
    Ecce homo ergo elk

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Achaman View Post
    uh... a melee gun?
    Lol my bad I meant the 2 melee weapons being the Corrupted pike thing and the Vampire Knives, then the caster staff, and a gun. i just really, really wanted a super kick ass end game bow. D: