Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    GFWL is terrible. So terrible, it took over 15 minutes to figure out how to connect to a friend's game. We failed. We gave up (RE5).

If you're going to force DRM on us, make it easy to use (a la Steam) and unobtrusive. Hell, a friend of mine lost their Fallout 3 save because GFWL decided to shit on them.

Good riddance.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    Halo 2 online on PC was already shut down earlier this year.

And not all games will get the SteamWorks treatment. It's basically up to the original publishers and developers to do it.
    Thats what scare's me is that its up to them.

Also Halo 2 Online did get extended just got done looking it up.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    GFWL is terrible. So terrible, it took over 15 minutes to figure out how to connect to a friend's game. We failed. We gave up (RE5).

If you're going to force DRM on us, make it easy to use (a la Steam) and unobtrusive. Hell, a friend of mine lost their Fallout 3 save because GFWL decided to shit on them.

Good riddance.
    Great thats another game I mite lose "RE5" I got a digital version from gamestop and I hope they patch it so I can add it to my steam.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Also Halo 2 Online did get extended just got done looking it up.
    The hell? They bloody well kept that one quiet.

The hell? They bloody well kept that one quiet.
    Ya I didn't know until about a hr ago LOL.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Good fucking riddance. It's just terrible that almoust every game that was polluted with that piece of absolute dog-shit was done to such extent that either they might go non-functioning depending on dev effort, or you might lose something vital like your save games as is the case with Batman Arkham games (GL for those who had completed the game 100%. Poof.)

One of the greater insults to PC gaming is now being buried and I hope that only interaction it will have in future discussions will be as the the grave on which people piss on.
    Last edited by Wilian; 2013-10-18 at 07:31 PM.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    Good fucking riddance. It's just terrible that almoust every game that was polluted with that piece of absolute dog-shit was done to such extent that either they might go non-functioning depending on dev effort, or you might lose something vital like your save games as is the case with Batman Arkham games (GL for those who had completed the game 100%. Poof.)

One of the greater insults to PC gaming is now being buried and I that only interaction it will have in future discussions will be as the the grave on which people piss on.
    I agree it just annoy's me some games won't get the patch and therefor those who have said games will ether be stuck with single player or can't play them at all.

I would think all games on steam that use GFWL will get it patched but there is some case's where they are on steam and there is a different version of the game that isnt "Like RE5 and Fable III" so what will happen to those and finally what will happen to games you got digital.

There is also the case's where the game is only on GFWL like Gears of War PC and if it dose not get patched over to steam you will be stuck with ether single player or lose it all together.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2013-10-18 at 07:35 PM.

Merging this with the other thread that talked about it a few months ago with basically the same title. Let's keep all talk about the shutdown in this thread please.

I agree it just annoy's me some games won't get the patch and therefor those who have said games will ether be stuck with single player or can't play them at all.

I would think all games on steam that use GFWL will get it patched but there is some case's where they are on steam and there is a different version of the game that isnt "Like RE5 and Fable III" so what will happen to those and finally what will happen to games you got digital.

There is also the case's where the game is only on GFWL like Gears of War PC and if it dose not get patched over to steam you will be stuck with ether single player or lose it all together.
    As far as I know all games that had GFWL is suppose to have the DRM removed from it and either made DRM free or put on another drm of their choice (like steamworks). I know Batman Arkham Asylum/City both had this done this past week, but the problem was it didn't recognize the old save file. You had to take your old save file remove some lines in it and then it would work with it (thread on Steam about it).

I think I only ever used it to play Tron. Then again, the game was so bad and multiplayer was unbearable so I uninstalled both.

Well the only game I recall having to do with GFWL was a WarHammer game. No big loss IMO, it deserves the shutdown.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    As far as I know all games that had GFWL is suppose to have the DRM removed from it and either made DRM free or put on another drm of their choice (like steamworks). I know Batman Arkham Asylum/City both had this done this past week, but the problem was it didn't recognize the old save file. You had to take your old save file remove some lines in it and then it would work with it (thread on Steam about it).
    Only game I got right now besides a digital copy of RE5 that requires GFWL and isn't on steam is my Gears of War and its drm is still there.

I had to request a new key early today and they said it will take about 5 days to get one if they give me one at all. Kinda why I hope they move GOW over to steam so I can keep it because everynow and then I do like playing it online and the mods can be fun.

GFWL was an attemtp to take xbox live into the PC marketplace, It was done poorely and was using alot of legacy code from 2007 days. I have no doubt Xbox live will be merged in upcoming patches to the windows os and im suprised it hasnt allready though this being shutdown will most likely bring that change through. I doubt the games will be unplayable and its still possible to patch them after its shut down, and if live is reintergrated to windows os i have no doubt they will be patched to work for the new system. Im just glad i got my fallout 3 chevos done allready.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    GFWL was an attemtp to take xbox live into the PC marketplace, It was done poorely and was using alot of legacy code from 2007 days. I have no doubt Xbox live will be merged in upcoming patches to the windows os and im suprised it hasnt allready though this being shutdown will most likely bring that change through. I doubt the games will be unplayable and its still possible to patch them after its shut down, and if live is reintergrated to windows os i have no doubt they will be patched to work for the new system. Im just glad i got my fallout 3 chevos done allready.
    I just personally hope all the games get patched over to steam.

Gears of War on steam with steam works can be a interesting thing hope GTA IV gets patched soon so I can reinstall it and play it.

I just personally hope all the games get patched over to steam.

Gears of War on steam with steam works can be a interesting thing hope GTA IV gets patched soon so I can reinstall it and play it.
    Steam distribution but xbox live online.

If GTA V is indeed coming to PC soon-ish, the question is wehther Rockstar actually wants to "waste" time on re-doing the online part for IV or not.

Steam distribution but xbox live online.
    I would be ok with that as long as I don't have to pay for the online. That was one of the major problems people had with GFWL the first few games required Xbox Live Gold.

- - - Updated - - -

If GTA V is indeed coming to PC soon-ish, the question is wehther Rockstar actually wants to "waste" time on re-doing the online part for IV or not.
    That is a interesting point but I do hope rockstar dose redo the online part.

I have no doubt Xbox live will be merged in upcoming patches to the windows os
    I fucking hope not. GFWL was a fucking disaster and I don't want Microsoft to try again. Stick to just supporting games on Xbox, and stay out of PC Gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I fucking hope not. GFWL was a fucking disaster and I don't want Microsoft to try again. Stick to just supporting games on Xbox, and stay out of PC Gaming.
    I couldn't agree more and to go slightly offtopic I got high hopes for SteamOs because I am really tired of being tied down to Windows to PC game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Noooo my Arkyham City achieves1111111

QQ
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    What caused them to shut it down? Also just read they are closing age of empires online i spent tons on that stupid thing -.- They should have just made age of mythology 2 QQ

Microsoft seems to be making some very weird decisions lately.. windows 8, xbox one, windows live what's spurred the drastic change in development? 0o