Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[Frost dps]How do I know if I am ready for Flex?

Hey, I am a death knight who, well, Quit after I reached level 90 on my warrior in November, a year ago, I returned in August and leveled my DK and I have advanced more on him then on my warrior and I am wondering when and how I can go and play in Flex

I'm gonna bring up the situation here
    1. I am Herb/mining
    2. I know the rotation (HB>PS>Oblitirate/frost strike> unholy blight> re do the rotation)
    3. Here is the armory, however, I will make 1 thing clear, I find it better to be with DW than 2h (http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...os/Styx/simple Armory <3)
    4. I've been trying to get a new 1h weapon for ages but it isn't going well Q.Q

Deleted
    Missing enchants, missing gems, useless glyphs, useless professions, wrong "rotation", bad talents, bad gear, no experience?

You're perfectly fine for flex. Not even kidding. Find a group that's simply looking for an 8th/10th player.

Quote Originally Posted by Nedda View Post
    Missing enchants, missing gems, useless glyphs, useless professions, wrong "rotation", bad talents, bad gear, no experience?

You're perfectly fine for flex. Not even kidding. Find a group that's simply looking for an 8th/10th player.
    How is this "Useless" profession?
    I prefer to have him as my farmer since my Warrior can be Alchemy/inscription and my druid can be "Enchanter/JC"
    Pls, tell me how to improve my talents
    What's wrong with the gear?
    Working on the Gems and Enchants, not sure which is better, 502 Raid finder chest or that one
    What glyphs are best
    Please tell me what rotation is now then?

Quote Originally Posted by Styx1992 View Post
    2. I know the rotation (HB>PS>Oblitirate/frost strike> unholy blight> re do the rotation)
    No. No. No. No.

First, there is no "Rotation", it's an action priority. i.e. Use A if you can. If A is on cooldown, use B. If A & B are on cooldown, use C. etc. See the many threads here or EJ/Icy Veins for what glyphs/talents/priorities people suggest.

As for your gear go back to the Timeless Isle, there is at least one guaranteed Burden from the Ordos bit, you might have to take an Albatros if you can't find any other ways of getting there, e.g. Glider / Slow Fall / Legendary Cloak. You can also buy gear from JP to replace your ring, and 10k coins will get you another 476 weapon.

If you have other L90s go do the chests on those and send over more plate items to help you, they're BoA.
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2013-10-16 at 11:00 AM.

Deleted
    How is this "Useless" profession?
    I prefer to have him as my farmer since my Warrior can be Alchemy/inscription and my druid can be "Enchanter/JC"
    Pls, tell me how to improve my talents
    What's wrong with the gear?
    Working on the Gems and Enchants, not sure which is better, 502 Raid finder chest or that one
    What glyphs are best
    Please tell me what rotation is now then?
    Use the "Fix My DK DPS" sticky thread for this kind of questions. But please read a guide before (e.g. http://www.icy-veins.com/frost-death...-pve-dps-guide or http://elitistjerks.com/f72/t132171-...owling_blargh/).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Treelife View Post
    No. No. No. No.

First, there is no "Rotation", it's an action priority. i.e. Use A if you can. If A is on cooldown, use B. If A & B are on cooldown, use C. etc. See the many threads here or EJ/Icy Veins for what glyphs/talents/priorities people suggest.

As for your gear go back to the Timeless Isle, there is at least one guaranteed Burden from the Ordos bit, you might have to take an Albatros if you can't find any other ways of getting there, e.g. Glider / Slow Fall / Legendary Cloak. You can also buy gear from JP to replace your ring, and 10k coins will get you another 476 weapon.

If you have other L90s go do the chests on those and send over more plate items to help you, they're BoA.
    At this point he should just farm up coins, get a few runes of fate (1k each), and run a quick ToT to get either 2H from Council or Lei Shen before stepping into flex. No matter what the rest of his gear is, that weapon is going to hold him back in dps so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    At this point he should just farm up coins, get a few runes of fate (1k each), and run a quick ToT to get either 2H from Council or Lei Shen before stepping into flex. No matter what the rest of his gear is, that weapon is going to hold him back in dps so much.
    Well, there's that - but it requires... *shudder*... Going back to ToT LFR.

(Assuming you meant LFR, because nobody is going to be doing normal, and if they are he won't be getting in for a guess.)

Your missing Gems, Enchants, Etc. Check Noxxic and look at the stat priority as its changed recently. Get your Hit/Exp to the right amount and youll be fine

Deleted

(Assuming you meant LFR, because nobody is going to be doing normal, and if they are he won't be getting in for a guess.)
    People pug it all the time, and its cross-realm-able now so he can easily find groups for that in Openraid or OQueue.
    But yeah he can probably do a lot more to improve his current gear, like run SoO normal for example.

10+ Year Old Account

Theres tons of normal and heroic tot runs going on every day in oq. With the nerf is stupid easy.
    "Let me answer your question with another, How would you feel if you found out you were a potato?"

Nintendo Friend Code 1049-0261-4082 Pokemon Name - Max

Everyone else pretty much hit that nail already, so I guess I'll just pop in and say hi.

From the sound of it, you're starting from rock bottom as far as understanding how DK's work (I don't mean that in a bad way).

Given where you're starting from (and I wouldn't normally suggest this), you should look up an addon called CLCDK. It's not 100%, and if you let it think for you, you're going to have a bad time. But with where you're starting, it will be a good start to help you get your "rotation" in order and your muscle memory prep'd a bit.

If nothing else, it will give you the ability to pull useful DPS for LFR/Flex runs.

Other than that, as others have suggested, Noxxic will be a good place to start learning more about your character. From there, I'd suggest checking EJ once you're more comfortable and they can get you some more detailed information without overwhelming you from the start.

I use DDR for my runes, it's just a more visible rune setup, and I'd suggest that to keep a close eye on your runes. I can't click your link at work, but PL and BT are both really, really good talents, although they'll take a little more getting used to at the point you're at currently. Maybe use RC instead of BT until you're more comfortable with the class in general. PL will probably also cause you more problems than it's worth at this point, but at some point you should definitely start using it.

Hope this helps, and best of luck to you, friend.

Quote Originally Posted by teebo View Post
    Theres tons of normal and heroic tot runs going on every day in oq. With the nerf is stupid easy.
    Hes right, I see TOT's all day on my server, TOT is insanely easy now

Gear: The main issue with characters equipped on the Timeless Isle are the low Ilvl weapons. Use your coins to try to grab better weapons, first of all. You can also use timeless coins to get Mogu Runes of Fate for extra rolls in ToT.

Enchants and gems: You can skip a few of the more expensive enchants like the + str on bracers for now (mastery is much cheaper), but at least make the effort to enchant and gem properly. If some of the blue gems are too expensive for gear you think you will replace soon, get at least green ones. Fallen Crusader on MH, Razorice on OH.

Reforge: Mastery is your main stat, don't reforge from it to anything. Also, cap your expertise.

Glyphs: Regenerative Magic is a must. It gives you a lot of RP per minute due to the reduced cooldown, allowing you to soak a lot. Loud Horn is usually a DPS gain, as it allows an extra Frost Strike when you need it. Last one depends on the encounter, but I usually run with the Icebound Fortitude one.

Talents: The ones that can really impact your dps are Plague Leech and Blood Tap, specially as DW, as they give you runes on demand. It requires more work, but it will really improve your performance if you master them. Other talents tend to be mostly situational (but Death's Advance is a DPS gain as most fights require movimentation, unless any of the other talents is required for the encounter).

Professions: From a DPS perspective, they are mostly useless. If you want to improve on that department, I would recommend going BS (a lot of flexibility on what you can get through extra slots), and maybe LW/Engi.

Rotation: It's more like a priority system, really, considering we depend on key procs. I agree with the CLC DK suggestion. It's a nice addon until you acquire the required muscle memory to play properly.

Check http://elitistjerks.com/f72/t132171-...owling_blargh/ for in depht info on Frost DKs, and good old Noxxic as many suggested.

Point was, why would anyone take him in the state he was when he first posted? They wouldn't.

Also:

Quote Originally Posted by Tonath View Post
    Check Noxxic
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariakan View Post
    and good old Noxxic as many suggested.
    Just no. If you want to know why... Well, check any other post regarding Noxxic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just no. If you want to know why... Well, check any other post regarding Noxxic.
    What's wrong with Noxxic? I use Noxxic whenever I want a quick stat priority for alts I'm not familiar with and it's never steered me wrong.

Alright, I have enchanted and gemed most of my gear (Working on the Feet one (Fuck you Mazrigos for not having that on AH)) but I am concerned ..... What is the actual hit/expertise cap?
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...os/Styx/simple

Deleted
    What is the actual hit/expertise cap?
    Still haven't read any guide, huh?

Alright, I have enchanted and gemed most of my gear (Working on the Feet one (Fuck you Mazrigos for not having that on AH)) but I am concerned ..... What is the actual hit/expertise cap?
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...os/Styx/simple
    You should really, really read the material we linked here. But I will be a nice guy: 7.5% is the cap for special attacks for both hit and expertise. More expertise is useless as you should always be attacking from behind, and more hit is just for auto attacks, being then the least valuable of stats you can get.

EDIT: Your gemming is of course weird now. You should avoid gemming hit and expertise (even when not overcapped) ad they can be reforged from non-desirable ratings like Haste. And mastery tends to be better than critical for DW (but they are really close for low ilvls).
    Last edited by Darklurker; 2013-10-19 at 07:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nedda View Post
    Still haven't read any guide, huh?
    I did .... I never really like following guides

10+ Year Old Account
    You are way over hit cap now. You're 9.67%. You could definitely unreforge some of those reforges or swap out those exp + crit/hit + exp gems for more appropriate ones. I use crit + stam. Stam isn't amazing, but hey, it beats over the cap!