Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

will blizzard help me with this?

Ok, so basicly. my character has a stupid name. i hate this name. i was, for one point in my life, very into the 'far right' of politics. and my character is named after a very popular white power band... now, no one else would know what this name is, but it makes me feel sick. i left that stuff behind a long time ago, and this is just a reminder of something i want to forget about.

i aint got money to pay for a name change. u think they would ban me if i asked for a name change and explained why i wanted one?

10+ Year Old Account
    They will not ban you.

But it's probable that they'd say no to changing it for free. I can't say they would for sure, but it's very unlikely they'd change it.

Deleted
    get your guildies to report your name as inappropriate, if it is, and should be forced to change it if it is.

If you don't have the money, you'd just be wasting your time.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by BattleMetal View Post
    Ok, so basicly. my character has a stupid name. i hate this name. i was, for one point in my life, very into the 'far right' of politics. now, no one else would know what this name is, but it makes me feel sick. i left that stuff behind a long time ago, and this is just a reminder of something i want to forget about.

i aint got money to pay for a name change. u think they would ban me if i asked for a name change and explained why i wanted one?
    Why would you think they would ban you? There are 2 ways to get your toon renamed. If it gets reported for violating TOS, or you pay the $9 it costs. You can tell them whatever story you want they won't give you a free rename.

They won't give you a free name change nor will they ban you. If you can't afford the name change and it's not against ToS then just live with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    The reporting by friends/guild mates is the best choice. With enough bad name reports, Blizz will force you to change the name, instead of you having to pay for it.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Deleted
    i actually made a ticket and ive been given a free name change.

Quote Originally Posted by Pryre View Post
    get your guildies to report your name as inappropriate, if it is, and should be forced to change it if it is.
    ^this...

Quote Originally Posted by BattleMetal View Post
    i actually made a ticket and ive been given a free name change.
    Nice~!

Deleted
    My experience is, that 90% of the GM´s are always willing to help as much as they can. Good to see they let you change the name. Well "I don´t got the money" won´t work for other people though. But it´s always good to hear, that GM´s are willing to help when someone got a good reason to let the officials put some extra effort in something.

Or did u write in your ticket, that your guildies already started to report you?

15+ Year Old Account
    If your ticket doesn't pan out, post your name on here with the server and ask for people to report your name for the reason you stated above. Enough people ticket it, it'll get changed.

Herald of the Titans Valnoressa's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    This is a very stupid thing to do and can lead to bans depending on how bad it is. Happened to a friend before.

If you want to change your mistake, pay for it.
    Butts.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazroshka View Post
    This is a very stupid thing to do and can lead to bans depending on how bad it is. Happened to a friend before.

If you want to change your mistake, pay for it.
    I was banned for 24 hours for saying "racist" words in trade chat. I doubt they would be any harsher than that for an inappropriate name.
    So... 24hours vs 15bucks, not such a stupid thing to do after all then? :P

I once reported one of my characters name.. I just sent in a ticket stating that I was being harassed due to my name.. and they gave me a free name change.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jevlin View Post
    I was banned for 24 hours for saying "racist" words in trade chat. I doubt they would be any harsher than that for an inappropriate name.
    So... 24hours vs 15bucks, not such a stupid thing to do after all then? :P
    Why should he save 15 bucks by getting others to report his racist name? Not to mention that all customer disciplinary actions like this leave permanent marks on your account (having worked for another MMO company myself in the past as a representative, I can personally confirm this) which make longer and even a permanent ban more likely in the future regardless of what the offense was.

Because boys and girls, when you get people to report something negatively it registers as a negative mark against you, especially when so many people do it. Being reported for something bad gets you a bad mark, who would have thought it!? -.- /sarcasm

Paying for the mistake and being free of looking like a simple minded racist moron is worth $15 imo.
    Butts.

Players can always report their own name and get a free name change if it goes against their naming policies. but after that your account will probably be actioned each time you do it, so dont let it turn into a habit.

Deleted
    Paying for the mistake and being free of looking like a simple minded racist moron is worth $15 imo.
    I'm sorry to break it to you like this, Blizzard doesn't give a shit.

My banlist is as long as my subscription list and I have never gotten anything worse than a 72hour ban. What Blizzard think of me as a person doesn't bother me at all. Racist/Bigoted/Mean/Evil or sexist, they want your continued subscription just the same. So if you can save a few bucks and at the same time right something you feel is wrong, then why not?

I can back the claim that this actually works very often.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they are allowed to donate, but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jevlin View Post
    I'm sorry to break it to you like this, Blizzard doesn't give a shit.

My banlist is as long as my subscription list and I have never gotten anything worse than a 72hour ban. What Blizzard think of me as a person doesn't bother me at all. Racist/Bigoted/Mean/Evil or sexist, they want your continued subscription just the same. So if you can save a few bucks and at the same time right something you feel is wrong, then why not?
    Oh I wasn't referring to what Blizzard thought of you. I know they don't care and this account with a racist, sexist or bigoted remark in it's name is just another number in a long, long list of idiots.

Though I can assure you that all it takes is one serious reaction to a name, remark or similiar from someone you don't know going beyond clicking a report button and hoping for the best, to have those short term bans and offenses come back to bite you in the ass down the line.

I like to think of it as judgement system, where when the day comes when some guy at a desk looks at your most recent display of stupidity or bigotry after having someone go further than clicking "report this player" (of which there are many who are happy to go further), they'll look through your many bans/offenses and decide that your subscription isn't worth the trouble you cause.

My point overall is, fix your mistake yourself instead of getting others to fix it for you, just to save a few dollars.
    Butts.

Deleted
    Snip
    Yeah, no. No one has time to go on a vengeance crusade like that unless it's asked for. Asking for it would be doing something gravely stupid; Causing the servers to crash, making someone kill themselves, doing something criminal etc. Simply typing "yardape" or "cracker" in trade chat or having an inflammatory name will NEVER EVER justify a permanent ban.