Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Newbie with a question on professions for each class , and some other questions.

Hey , I just started wow , and am currently on the started edition(gonna upgrade in a week when I go to europe for a trip).
    I have a few questions:

Note: Don't tell me to do what I find most fun . I have played enough rpg's to know that I will level anything as long as I have something to do(or a goal to achieve). So, I find all professions equally fun to level, and do, even boring stuff like fishing. Keeping that in mind, I would like to extract the best out of each profession in order to maximize my fun in pvps/pve.

1) Are there certain professions which are good for pvp and for pve? Which are they , and why? What makes them different from any other profession?
    2) Are there certain professions appropriate to each class, and further, specialization?
    3) Is my proposed initial race/class/profession/proposed game style scheme below good?
    Undead - Warlock - Herbalism/Alchemy PVP and PVE
    Undead - Mage - Herbalism/Inscription PVP only
    Blood Elf - Priest -Enchanting/Tailoring Pvp mainly , but PVE also
    Blood Elf - Paladin - Mining/Jewelcrafting PVE mainly , but PVP also (gonna run him protection and another spec .... would like advice on that)
    Orc - Warrior - Mining/Blacksmithing PVP only
    Tauren - Druid - Herbalism/Alchemy ( Im gonna run him resto) PVE and PVP
    Tauren- Shaman - Mining/Skinning Gathering character(money maker .. dont like shamans much :S)
    Troll - Hunter - Skinning/Leatherworking PVE probably
    Pandaren - Monk - Mining/Engineering PVP mostly
    Blood Elf - Death Knight - Engineering/something else PVP
    Dont like rogues at all :S

I'm going to remove gathering from most of my chars except shaman and maybe druid .... What should I replace them with?
    BTW ,I only like horde, and that too all classes except goblins :S

I know, it may seem dumb of me to ask something like this, but what gives me most fun in the games I play is a sense of gameplan and achieving a preset goal(yeah , I know, I suck :S) . But any help is welcome
    Last edited by ptsunami2911; 2013-10-21 at 05:12 PM.

Well enginering gives the best dps buff for any class its most usefull for pvp aswell, all other proffesions are fairly equal, for casters tailoring _ enchanting works well, for leather useres skining + lw, etc etc

If you just started WoW it may be a good idea to just go with gathering professions because honestly, they're the only ones that can easily keep up with you as you level. All of the others require some sort of farming or buying of mats to level past certain points. Also, if you level with gathering profs, you can also have a good stockpile of mats to either sell for gold or to use to power level something different.
    Last edited by Manataurus; 2013-10-21 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Cuz my post looked like it was written by a 6 yr old

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ptsunami2911 View Post
    Hey , I just started wow , and am currently on the started edition(gonna upgrade in a week when I go to europe for a trip).
    I have a few questions:

Note: Don't tell me to do what I find most fun . I have played enough rpg's to know that I will level anything as long as I have something to do(or a goal to achieve). So, I find all professions equally fun to level, and do, even boring stuff like fishing. Keeping that in mind, I would like to extract the best out of each profession in order to maximize my fun in pvps/pve.

1) Are there certain professions which are good for pvp and for pve? Which are they , and why? What makes them different from any other profession?
    2) Are there certain professions appropriate to each class, and further, specialization?
    3) Is my proposed initial race/class/profession/proposed game style scheme below good?
    Undead - Warlock - Herbalism/Alchemy PVP and PVE
    Undead - Mage - Herbalism/Inscription PVP only
    Blood Elf - Priest -Enchanting/Tailoring Pvp mainly , but PVE also
    Blood Elf - Paladin - Mining/Jewelcrafting PVE mainly , but PVP also (gonna run him protection and another spec .... would like advice on that)
    Orc - Warrior - Mining/Blacksmithing PVP only
    Tauren - Druid - Herbalism/Alchemy ( Im gonna run him resto) PVE and PVP
    Tauren- Shaman - Mining/Skinning Gathering character(money maker .. dont like shamans much :S)
    Troll - Hunter - Skinning/Leatherworking PVE probably
    Pandaren - Monk - Mining/Engineering PVP mostly
    Blood Elf - Death Knight - Engineering. PVP
    Dont like rogues at all :S

I know, it may seem dumb of me to ask something like this, but what gives me most fun in the games I play is a sense of gameplan and achieving a preset goal(yeah , I know, I suck :S) . But any help is welcome
    1. Engineering > Rest. Engi just has so many useful things like nitro boost etc. I'd say Jewelcrafting is the best profession if you want to make gold though.
    2. Technically no, I just pick a profession based on usefulness and gold gain.
    3. Gathering professions are usually sup par PvE and PvP. Also best caster race dps wise is Troll melee might be Orc.

For example my Main PvE Warlock currently has Engineering and Alchemy, both great raiding professions, he is also a troll which gives the highest racial dps output. Tbh as a new player I wouldnt worry too much about these things because the numbers aren't that huge, just go with whatever you feel is the best.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sillistrar View Post
    Also, I love your short-temper. Did you know that people like you are the most fun to mess with? Not that I'm doing it. Yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazoric View Post
    Interception...
    Is that a like a charge within a charge? :P

Ohh , I have 2 friends who have bunch of lvl 90s, and they said they will be giving me cash as I come along in the game ... so thats fine there. I like all profs , so want to make a choice now :S

10+ Year Old Account
    Ohh , I have 2 friends who have bunch of lvl 90s, and they said they will be giving me cash as I come along in the game ... so thats fine there. I like all profs , so want to make a choice now :S
    I recommend leveling professions after you've hit 90, meanwhile just pick up skinning and herbalism, gather whatever you can while leveling and sell it.
    Also, I love your short-temper. Did you know that people like you are the most fun to mess with? Not that I'm doing it. Yet.
    Interception...

I like variety in my classes, and a sort of relevance to theme of characters :P ... so I wont be picking troll for all my characters ... well , maybe a troll mage insted of BELF one

- - - Updated - - -
    Picking 2 gathering makes sense to me on the basis of your reason, but I dont find it appealing

10+ Year Old Account
    Picking 2 gathering makes sense to me on the basis of your reason, but I dont find it appealing
    Well I find it really hard keeping my professions on the same level as the character. Leveling is so fast nowadays and going back to zones to level professions just ins't time efficient since you can do it with a 290% flying mount later. If you really are stuck up on doing it at the same time I'd recommend one of the easier professions to level so you wont have to run around a lot for materials. Maybe Hermalism with Alchemy/Inscripting.
    Interception...

The way I wanna do it is get both my professions at lvl 5, and then do them whenever I see materials. I actually dont mind going out of my way to gather materials for crafting(kinda find it fun ) ... so I think I can cope for a bit, till later, when I might change my mind,

10+ Year Old Account
    The way I wanna do it is get both my professions at lvl 5, and then do them whenever I see materials. I actually dont mind going out of my way to gather materials for crafting(kinda find it fun ) ... so I think I can cope for a bit, till later, when I might change my mind,
    Whatever floats your boat. You can find a lot of useful profession leveling guides by just searching on google for the profession and 1-600, they have lists of all the materials you will need and where to find them.
    Interception...

So , leveling early professions aside, once I hit 90, and I have sufficient income from my shaman gatherer, I switch all my gathering professions on my main chars to engineering/tailoring/enchanting/leatherworking?

- - - Updated - - -

Awesome man, thanks

- - - Updated - - -

What do I run instead of my gathering profs at lvl 90?

10+ Year Old Account
    So , leveling early professions aside, once I hit 90, and I have sufficient income from my shaman gatherer, I switch all my gathering professions on my main chars to engineering/tailoring/enchanting/leatherworking?
    Yeah you will probably have epic flying and around 5-10k gold to spare. Most people who have a lot of alts with professions like myself have a druid with maxed mining and herbalism if we ever need to farm something.
    Interception...

10+ Year Old Account
    Engineering is the best profession for raiding and random battlegrounds. For Arenas/RBGs, Engineering only gives a modest boost over the other professions because their other perks are disabled. I'll list my toons below:

Orc DK - Engineering / Jewelcrafting (My main)
    Blood Elf Paladin - Engineering / Enchanting
    Goblin Priest - Tailoring / Transmute Master Alchemist
    Orc Hunter - Skinning / Leatherworking
    Tauren Druid - Herbalism / Mining
    Blood Elf Warlock - Inscription / Potion Master Alchemist
    Troll Monk - Engineering / Elixir Master Alchemist
    Undead Rogue - Engineering / Transmute Master Alchemist
    Blood Elf Warrior - Engineering / Blacksmith
    Pandaren Mage - Engineering / Transmute Master Alchemist
    Troll Shaman - Bank alt, no professions

Anyway, if I could start fresh with the knowledge I have now, I would probably rearrange them to all be Engineering / Something. And I would probably have my main have Alchemy for the flask duration increase >.< And I have so many transmute masters for the daily cooldown.

All of my characters races were chosen to be optimized for the class/spec I was going to play them for, but some of the racials have changed and I've changed what I want to do with my characters too, so.... They're not entirely optimized anymore.

TL DR - Engineering is the best!

you just started wow but want a gameplan for all diffrent classes?

well, if you wanna pve your first choice will be what role you wanna play, as dps locks is pretty much the strongest this teir, as healer im not sure. but as tank id recommend monk.

as for proffesions, level enginering!! and if ur new to the game you might wanna level mining alongside it since you wont have the money to buy all the materials needed to level engineering. but mining isnt very optimal at maxlvl, if you feel you have to have the best then just unlearn it once ur done with engineering and lvl soemthing else, enchanting mby? or tailoring.
    as for race, for pvp i suggest undead (to be able to break another fear effect), for pve i suggest troll (because blizz is retarded and letting them do 5% more dmg to beasts.. also they got a nice 15% haste-on-use ability).

Awesome .... so basically , i level engineering on all my classes, and pick another profession to go along with it?
    Also , im thinking of keeping herbalism on my druid, coz im thinking i need another gathering prof taken care of, and im not gonna be pvping with my druid (gonna save that for disc priest)

My perfect setup

A tauren druid with herbing and mining
    Main Raid character with JC and ENG
    EVERY other character with a trans spec Alch and Inscription. Do the daily trans on each character and make darkmoon cards with the inscription for EZ and quick loot.

I'd possibly concider replacing 1 toons inscription with enchanting to make my own and DE greens/blues

So, I decided on a final profession path for my toons

Warlock - Transmutation Alchemy/Inscription (PVE)
    Warrior - Engineering/Blacksmithing (PVP)
    Paladin - JewelCrafting/Blacksmithing (PVE)
    Mage - Tailoring/Engineering (PVP)
    Priest - Engineering/Enchanting( PVP and PVE)
    Hunter - Enginnering/Jewelcrafting or Blacksmithing (PVP main , but both)
    Monk - Engineering/Leatherworking(PVP)
    Deathknight - Engineering/Blacksmithing(PVP)
    Druid - Herbalism/Elixir alchemy
    Shaman - Mining/Skinning

Which engineering is better? Goblin or gnome?
    Thanks

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you plan on raiding with any of those characters, Enchanting provides very significant benefits with the extra mats from raid drops. It's been especially true in MoP, with Blood/Haunting/War Spirits having only Disenchant as source.
    Old Gods made me do it.

I want to do raiding with my warlock and probably paladin an priest .. but I dont want to take enchanting on anyone except priest. Is it possible for me to loot the item, then pass it on to my priest for her to disenchant?