Page 1 of 65
... LastLast

Fit mom criticized for "fat shaming"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...ded-bully.html

An exercise-loving mother-of-three has come under fire after posting a photograph of her toned body to Facebook, captioned 'What's your excuse?'

Maria Kang, 32, from Los Angeles, California, who runs an fitness-focused non-profit organization from home, appears knelt alongside her three young sons in the image, dressed in a workout bra and matching micro shorts.

While many of the 17,000-plus commentators cite her as an 'inspiration' some have also accused her of being 'insulting', 'obnoxious' and a 'fat shaming bully'.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...#ixzz2ifpsq2Mf
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Indeed, one woman wrote: 'You are . . . hurtful to women and think way too much of yourself. Disgusting is what you are!'

And a mother-of-two named Sarah added on Ms Kang's website, mariakang.com: 'I hope you realize why some people are not just offended, but also hurt by your post as well.

'First: many of us end up with stretch marks after kids…. A LOT OF THEM! I have two kids and both have caused my skin to stretch soo bad my stomach, from my rib cage straight down the the middle of my vaginal area, look like the U.S. road atlas.

'Second: I am an avid runner. I run my two kids in a double jogger. Do I look like a runner? Nope. As a matter of fact, unless people know me, they don't believe me. I do half and full marathons.

'Maybe it's time we stop tip-toeing around people's feelings and get to the point.'

She notes that she does have stretchmarks and excess skin from three pregnancies but these 'scars' encourage her to 'keep striving' and 'never stop'.

'Motherhood is beautiful AND it can make you better!' she adds.

‘I wanted to say, “I know you think you don't have time if you have kids. But if I can do it, you can do it, too’"

The pretty brunette says that she likes to do 30 to 60 minutes of strength training and cardio every morning, five to six days a week.

On a typical day she tries to get to the gym by 6.30am and then returns home to 'feed, clean and play' with her sons.

She then focuses attention on the non-profit business she runs, Fitness without Borders, which promotes fitness education in schools and local communities.

According to Yahoo, her 'what's your excuse?' image has received over 16 million views on Facebook, since it was posted a year ago.

She decided to re-post it to her 80,000-plus followers last month, tacking on an apology, after she noticed it was attracting dozens of negative comments.

Pic in question.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/...85_634x780.jpg

Deleted
    I saw that and it is shameful, they attack someone for working hard and showing discipline.

I am outraged. Truly.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    I saw that and it is shameful, they attack someone for working hard and showing discipline.
    Or, you know, they attacked someone who started it, by bad-mouthing anyone who doesn't work out.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Or, you know, they attacked someone who started it, by bad-mouthing anyone who doesn't work out.
    It was meant to inspire, but exactly as she said "Whats your excuse?" they came out with lots of excuses and abuse, many were extremely offensive.

She looks very good for her age and pregnancies. Better then most girls who are younger and haven't had kids. The attitude is fantastic too. If you are truly happy with your condition you don't need the greater public to sugar coat it for you. If you enjoy being fat then be fat, why should I pretend your beautiful and proactive to me for you to feel better about yourself.

I think her picture and stance is more about giving people a kick in the ass to get healthy not about making fat people feel worse about themselves. That is just a byproduct of the message for people who are already self conscious about their body. Not her fault if you read into it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by loli ninja eating pizza View Post
    "Genetics" ha.

Both sides are pretty bad but at least pick a better argument.
    I don't think a regular mom can afford to work out while taking care of two kids, I bet she had a maid changing their diapers while she was in the basement lifting her bench press, being a mother and going to the weight room don't mix very well.
    Doesn't take much time to go on a good diet.

10+ Year Old Account
    That picture isn't even close to "fat shaming."

"Genetics" ha.

I don't think a regular mom can afford to work out while taking care of two kids, I bet she had a maid changing their diapers while she was in the basement lifting her bench press, being a mother and going to the weight room don't mix very well.
    article states that her husband was an injured and out of work vet, he prolly watches kids during workout sessions.

10+ Year Old Account
    My excuse is that Ben and Jerry's is on offer at Tesco's at the moment.
    perfect, bullet proof reason <3

10+ Year Old Account
    "Genetics" ha.

45 minutes to 1 hour, 3-4 days a week isn’t a hard commitment. Plus most gyms/clubs have daycares for mom’s that come with the monthly membership. Any regular mom can easily pull it off.
    Palmz - Warlock
    Imminent
    JUICE
    Eternal Reign
    Infallible
    Duality

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    There is a thin line between motivational and offensive when it comes to weight and health in this country. It honestly seems like you couldn't offer free nutritional training and weight loss programs via insurance requirements (like the obama minimum requirements should do) and NOT offend people.

"What's your excuse?"

vs.

"You can do it too!"

Both have the exact same message, one is more shocking than the other...if she had used the second caption, no one would've complained. You know what though, I make a thousand excuses why I don't do this thing or that thing but ultimately, they're always excuses and near everyone does it. Just few of us dare admit that we play the biggest role in doing something with ourselves and "rationalize", "explain" or otherwise "blame whatever circumstance.....no matter what it is, it's at it's core, an excuse.

Jealousy, resentment, lack of self-confidence etc... etc... is what's likely the cause of the negative comments. Easier to attack than see the message as something to shock you into action (if being fit is something you want).

No apologies were necessary in my view. People will always get offended, no matter what you do. Lost cause to try to appease everyone.

"Genetics" ha.

I bet she didn't even breastfed.
    Yeah what you "think" isn't actually the case. Everyone has time, they just don't MAKE time to exercise.

It is easier to blame others then take one moment to look at yourself. Al tough I do think in this particular case we are dealing with a particular kind of special stupid coming from the 'fat' side. And well.. Jealousy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sajek View Post
    "What's your excuse?"

vs.

"You can do it too!"

Both have the exact same message, one is more shocking than the other...if she had used the second caption, no one would've complained. You know what though, I make a thousand excuses why I don't do this thing or that thing but ultimately, they're always excuses and near everyone does it. Just few of us dare admit that we play the biggest role in doing something with ourselves and "rationalize", "explain" or otherwise "blame whatever circumstance.....no matter what it is, it's at it's core, an excuse.

Jealousy, resentment, lack of self-confidence etc... etc... is what's likely the cause of the negative comments. Easier to attack than see the message as something to shock you into action (if being fit is something you want).

No apologies were necessary in my view. People will always get offended, no matter what you do. Lost cause to try to appease everyone.
    People need to be shocked to decide to work out.

Fat people seem to always have some excuse as to why they're not in shape. Kudos for this mom to trying to change things.

Deleted
    what a ridiculous bunch of people.

in no way was that fat shaming, good job to her!looks fantastic for 3 kids!

wait is that picture supposed to be the fat shaming? seriously? whats next a mc donalds comercial getting called fit shaming? anyone offended by that is a prime example of whats wrong with political correctness

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sajek View Post
    People will always get offended.
    these people who easily get offended (get annoyed just hearing that dam word) need to grow a sack
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"