Thread: Oqueue add on.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    My problem with OQ is that is has too many features that I don't need, which are all enabled by default.
    A lot of them have nothing to do with crossrealm groups.
    Some of those features can't ever be disabled even (like, for example, gold from instance chat announcement).

And what's more, it doesn't keep setup across characters, so I need to re-disable everything on every character...
    Old Gods made me do it.

The idea is great. There are some bugs, but is better than lfr and you also can do rbgs, arenas, flex,etc.
    Has downsides, like the tag spam and the message spam.

But, I wonder why there is nothing similar implemented in the default interface?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Speaker View Post
    Lol, all you have to do is remove (OQ) from your real-id broadcast... You will only get spammed when the addon is disabled since the addon hides any whispers that start with OQ.
    It started doing this in active mode, nothing was changed.
    Funnily enough, the addon is now gone from my game, my Curse client, and off Curse entirely. Seems someone cracked down?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by miffy23 View Post
    It started doing this in active mode, nothing was changed.
    Funnily enough, the addon is now gone from my game, my Curse client, and off Curse entirely. Seems someone cracked down?
    Not sure why the addon would disappear from your adodns folder on your computer...

But, yes oQueue has been removed from curse and will not return. Any future downloads should come directly from http://www.solidice.com/oqueue .

As for the friend request bug this has been addressed in the upcoming version, and should no longer occur once it is released.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Luccas View Post
    Did they give any reason why did they so?
    Their official reason was because their is a "Send beer button", on the addon which directs users to a website if they wish to support the addon. (Note: Contact with blizzard reps shows no indication of disapproval of said button.)

The un-official reason is because there are people at curse who do not take kindly to the author of the addon and were looking for a reason to remove it.

You can read up on that here: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...6469?page=3#60

Note: There are already numerous threads about the appropriate ness of said button, and the contacts and conducts of the author and the developers at curse. If you have an opinion on one or the other please find one of those threads, we do not need anymore shouting matches .

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thiron View Post
    My problem with OQ is that is has too many features that I don't need, which are all enabled by default.
    A lot of them have nothing to do with crossrealm groups.
    Some of those features can't ever be disabled even (like, for example, gold from instance chat announcement).

And what's more, it doesn't keep setup across characters, so I need to re-disable everything on every character...
    I think the issue is that the majority of people (or at least a very significant vocal minority) want the cross realm functionality and nothing else, and oQueue is not that. oQueue is an addon that does a bunch of stuff that happens to also have cross realm functionality.

Not sure how kindly the author would take to another addon tapping in to the existing oQueue methodology to do group stuff (with the code being as different as is humanly possible to avoid copyright infringement), but I might look into doing something like that eventually. I'm just not horribly interested in cross realm grouping myself, so I've just been waiting for somebody else to do it. Apparently no other addon developer cares enough either though.

If nothing else, a minimalist cross realm addon would satiate a large group of people and still let the oQueue author do his own thing uninterrupted, since his audience would then only consist of people who actually wanted all the extra features.

Edit: I'm not sure you could make a minimalist addon that still used oQueue's same messaging system though because it uses too many of those extra features. Would probably have to be a new system, which would be annoying for users to have to have both and could cause a competition between the two addons.
    Last edited by Simca; 2013-10-24 at 08:01 PM.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

Quote Originally Posted by Ronburggundy View Post
    Their official reason was because their is a "Send beer button", on the addon which directs users to a website if they wish to support the addon. (Note: Contact with blizzard reps shows no indication of disapproval of said button.)

The un-official reason is because there are people at curse who do not take kindly to the author of the addon and were looking for a reason to remove it.
    So if Tiny removed the donation button, which is contrary to the WoW TOS, curse wouldn't reinstate it? They actually said that?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    So if Tiny removed the donation button, which is contrary to the WoW TOS, curse wouldn't reinstate it? They actually said that?
    I doubt it. I doubt the CurseForge staff is even aware of chaud's dislike of the addon.

15+ Year Old Account
    I do flex via OQ every week. I just only join groups with high ilvl requirement.

10+ Year Old Account
    Idk where you got that from, I said they took it down not that they wouldn't put it back.

My understanding is that they would reinstate it if the appropriate changes were made, BUT the author would then immediately remove it (most likely, idk im not him).

Lets just say; If oQueue is ever on curse again itll be like a pig flying.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Simca View Post
    I might look into doing something like that eventually. I'm just not horribly interested in cross realm grouping myself, so I've just been waiting for somebody else to do it. Apparently no other addon developer cares enough either though.

Edit: I'm not sure you could make a minimalist addon that still used oQueue's same messaging system though because it uses too many of those extra features. Would probably have to be a new system, which would be annoying for users to have to have both and could cause a competition between the two addons.
    Best of luck to you on that.
    1) I highly doubt there is another way of doing it without stepping on toes.
    2) It would not be taken kindly too more than likely. ( The use of any existing code or concepts would certainly be of issue. )
    Last edited by Ronburggundy; 2013-10-24 at 08:31 PM.

oqueue is the new gearscore

people are starting to hate it for no reason at all and they'll think it's a great idea when blizzard implements it

i personally love it

Right, he makes it out like chaud or mmo-champ or curse as a whole has a personal beef with him, and he's very sensitive about it. But the truth is that there is no anti-oQueue cabal. We all find oQueue simultaneously hugely useful and super annoying. We want it to improve for completely selfish reasons.

It's awesome. But if everyone starts using it, I worry that the average quality of the players will go down.

This addon made me keep playing. It's so nice to actually find groups/people for things I want to be doing. Although, yes as people have said before, I am noticing a lot more unskilled people coming in. Flex feels like LFR sometimes. The minimum ilvl/rating are nice touches though.

The most frustrating thing about it, for me, are the people who create raids but have no intention of leading them. Many of my last few groups have been people just making raids and hoping someone comes in knowing what they are doing.

All that aside, the addon itself? An absolute marvel.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

I use it for world bosses since I'm on a dead server and it works great for that. I haven't tried it with anything else though.

I can literally do celestials on 15 90's in under an hour.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronburggundy View Post
    Best of luck to you on that.
    1) I highly doubt there is another way of doing it without stepping on toes.
    2) It would not be taken kindly too more than likely. ( The use of any existing code or concepts would certainly be of issue. )
    Well, quite a bit of the oqueue_dsa code isn't his own to begin with. (Additionally, I'm like 95% sure the way he is using that code constitutes a copyright violation under the terms of the LGPL2; you can't internally embed LGPL-licensed source code...)

Also, it's not a patent - he has no jurisdiction over the 'concepts', just the raw code.

Still, yeah, using the same network would require using the same public keys and such, and that by itself is probably enough for trouble. It shouldn't be a problem to a similar system with a different key and a different implementation though.
    Last edited by Simca; 2013-10-24 at 09:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldhearth View Post
    The bad players don't know they are bad, and that is the fundamental flaw of the game. They can coast 1-90 pressing a few buttons with no real challenge. Then, they reach level cap... and all they have to do is hit a button to join group content. I see LFR-geared players who can't even gem or enchant their character properly. Gemming stamina and all kinds of dumb shit, if they even bother to gem or enchant at all.

And it's not even their fault. Blizz cultivates these generations of retards who are conditioned to win no matter what. These players are rewarded for just logging in and paying their $15/mo. It doesn't matter how awful they are, because the game rewards them regardless.

Good business model on Blizzard's part. But sucks to be stuck with these players in any kind of group content. And it's going to be the eventual downfall of the game as these retards take over en masse and the intelligent gamers simply give up on the game. When the LFR crowd is all that is left paying their subs, the game will be nothing more than a watered-down steaming pile of uninteresting shit.
    I think you nailed it. The funny thing is, Blizzard had a working system. The old way of finding groups and organizing raids sucked sometimes (it dependied on server/faction pop mostly), but it worked. Most of the poorer players running around in LFR would have been kicked from their first dungeon group in BC. Then they would have whispered someone asking why they were kicked, and they'd be told it was because their warrior had Int plate and his talents were all screwed up. And they could listen, or they could join another group later and get kicked from that one too, because the average group couldn't complete SL or Arc if one player in your group wasn't pulling their weight. Hell, even leveling dungeons required (and taught!) basic skill/awareness -use CC, don't break CC, watch aggro, keep loose mobs off the healer. You either acquired the skill you needed, or you realized that perhaps instance groups weren't your thing.

The things they've implemented that undermine the old (working) system -LFD and LFR- are jacked-up solutions that ignore the real problem: realm populations. I don't run LFR (or even flex) because I enjoy it; I run LFR because there's 4 horde raiding guilds left on my server (compared to 30+ in its heyday). If I quit WoW for good (and I've taken 2 out of the last 3 years off already), it will be because I'm tired of playing on what is essentially a dead server, I refuse to pay almost $300 in transfers just to make the game playable, and I'm done with spending 2 hours (3, including the queue) on one boss who should be easy. Not to mention I can't even talk to 1/3-1/2 of the people I'm running with, because some genius (who really, really needs to have his ass fired ASAP) thought it would be a great idea to combine Latin and NA server groups.

There's an easy, easy solution. Lock down server transfers and start combining realms with server pop and faction imbalance in mind. Raiders can run raids and don't have to step foot in LFR (because they'll have a decent-sized pool of players on their virtual realm to draw from), and LFR players can do their thing. LFR doesn't necessarily need a "gate" as long as it's relegated to what it was supposed to be in the first place: a way for complete non-raiders to see the story. It's not supposed to be a crutch to keep WoW hobbling along, keeping former raiders from near-dead servers (un)happy by giving them a way to run a raid, but that's exactly what it's turned into for some of us.

Anyways. What's done is done. Pugging is dead, along with all the on-the-fly mentoring and tutoring that went with it, and Blizzard needs to find a way to replicate that enforced mentoring or we're going to keep seeing completely clueless, incompetent level 90 players.
    Last edited by Alternategray; 2013-10-24 at 09:41 PM.

Depending on the license, he would most likely just need to include a copy of the license and attribution. LUA is source, so he's obviously distributing the sourcecode already which complies with the spirit of the license.

You could legally create another oQ client using the same mesh, but without the author's permission that would be a pretty crappy thing to do, and he could trivially change it every single release, forcing you to constantly adapt. It's generally a bad idea, unless he disappears off the face of the earth and you want to continue his work. Which has been known to happen with popular addons, of course.

A separate parallel implementation with its own mesh would be great, and IMO morally OK, but you'd face an uphill battle as oQueue is already very popular.

I doubt oQueue's architecture using cross-server friends is long for this world anyway, since you get spammed constantly in diablo3 and hearthstone and whatnot unless you "go dark" before quitting WoW, and it renders the friends list nearly unusable.

Blizzard is going to address this need in some way, likely by adding cross-server LFM functionality into the base game and/or adding cross-server chat channels. Either one (or both!) would be groovy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Simca View Post
    Well, quite a bit of the oqueue_dsa code isn't his own to begin with. (Additionally, I'm like 95% sure the way he is using that code constitutes a copyright violation under the terms of the LGPL2; you can't internally embed LGPL-licensed source code...)

Also, it's not a patent - he has no jurisdiction over the 'concepts', just the raw code.

Still, yeah, using the same network would require using the same public keys and such, and that by itself is probably enough for trouble. It shouldn't be a problem to a similar system with a different key and a different implementation though.
    I haven't written any addons, or went through the code with a fine tooth comb so I don't really have any grounds to agree or disagree with you on the details of any particular licenses or code snippets etc, only know how it went last time someone said they were going to take the code and "Fix it".

10+ Year Old Account
    I doubt oQueue's architecture using cross-server friends is long for this world anyway, since you get spammed constantly in diablo3 and hearthstone and whatnot unless you "go dark" before quitting WoW, and it renders the friends list nearly unusable.
    this has already been addressed with an api revelation. v1.6.1 works fine and does not send messages to other game clients, as the new call gives some control that wasn't there without it.

v.1.6.2 will be released shortly once i have a site up that can manage the load.