Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Why is wow great?

I keep hearing this a lot of the time, yet so many people are unhappy with so many aspects of wow, often propose complete overhaul of that game as a way to "fix?" it

So are people really only saying wow is great because of it's huge subscription base? Apparently there are chinese games that beat it hands down subscription wise. And what of the people that think blizzard can do no wrong? is it blind fanaticsm? Content wise is wow really the greatest MMO on the market? I mean Wow may have been great in 2007, but that was 7 years ago, and it may have been coasting on it's popularity ever since.

Is wow really actually great? or is much more of it nostalgia and statistics than a genuinely great product by today standards and not 6 year old standards.

It's better than the competition.

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW is great because it caters to everyone.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/T/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/0/1 | Mafia: 1/6/0/7 | TPR: 0/4/1/5
    SK: 0/1/0/1 | VT: 2/5/2/7 | Cult: 1/0/0/1

Deleted
    WoW does the majority of things better than other MMO's, and it's playable on computers older than the game itself

Why heroine is great?

Deleted
    First of all, no game beats WoW in subscibers. Players certainly, that is free to play for you.

Is it great, compared to a lot of MMOs it is. But in the end it comes down to preference of people and that is where Blizzard lost a lot of subscribers with competitive quaility MMOs with different themes and ways to play.

And all the complete remakes and complaints. This is a WoW heavy community site, go to other MMOs forum sites and you will most likely find just as many complete remakes and complaints. I remember GW2 having quite the amount of threads on elementalist being glass mediocre dps.

It's not great, it was great a few expansions ago now they are just bleeding subs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vladar View Post
    It's not great, it was great a few expansions ago now they are just bleeding subs.
    Is this bleeding subs 100 % in correlation with the games greatness?
    Or you know a combination of 9 years of gameplay being boring, bigger competition, far bigger market in singleplayer and multiplayer, quaility free to play games etc.

It's the gameplay. I played several of the "new" MMOs and they all felt clunky and unpolished. Most prominent is the horrible SWTOR engine, that's so far behind WoW that there's no way it could compete. Also the endgame PvE is still the best, other games fail because they are missing that.

Another thing is that the rotations (or spells in general) are well-planned and interesting so that even simple Patchwerk style fights are fun to play. (This was different in vanilla / the first expansions when most dps rotations were very simplistic.) Generally I would say the game is very polished and feels smooth to play.

Also, with the comic-style graphics, it doesn't look too bad even after many years. For example, trees in the original zones are very simplistic but it's not that obvious. Current content has very nice graphics though, only the character models suck...

15+ Year Old Account
    In truth it isn't. Anymore. It used to be much greater than the competition because it managed to put together a lot of good things when the MMO scene was relatively new. They started at the right time, when just about everyone was getting broadband internet.

The game required very low system requirements ( I remember playing it on a single core amd sempron, on board graphics and 512mb ram. Fuck ye. ) so anyone could play it and they largely still keep this formula to this day; you can practically play this game on a toaster if you want to.

Nowadays the game isn't much better than the competition. RIFT, SWtOR, TERA, GW2, etc.. all have their ways of being better than WoW but in the end WoW has history on it's side. Many players are reluctant ( myself included, damn it all ) to start 'anew'. Dropping all the accomplishments gathered over the year and effectively turning them into dust. This is what keeps many players playing too; they don't want their accomplishments to be futile. Ther's a reason I still walk around with "Death's Demise" to this day.

Sure the game is innovating with things, adding in a bunch of technology to push the MMO scene forward. But many have already been done in beforementioned games. They just never reached the popularity to remain as alive and vivid as WoW does. The game has, what, 9 million players left now? That's still about -~8- times as many as all the other games -combined-.

What the other games lack is a buffer where they can fuck about in. WoW can do a lot of things that don't work out 100% and get away with it, if a new game does it then it generally quickly falls apart and the game turns F2P to save it's own ass from certain downfall.

There are many more reasons, such as a very rich lore spanning from '90s to now with so many story twists and spin off plots somewhere that we haven't even seen yet ( Turalyon anyone? ) that can almost consist of an entire expansion alone if you elongate the story a bit and invent some new enemies to fill the gaps ( Hello, Pandaland ).

Combat mechanics and response. Most other modern MMO's feel a bit sluggish / simplistic in comparison. That and full open world, which is an absolute must for any MMO to be worth playing in my opinion.

Lol what a silly question.

-Rich and exciting world
    -Plenty of different races, stories and flavors
    -Incredibly good animations
    -Really nice game system overall, from quests to UI, to inventory and health/resource
    -Beautiful artwork, stylized
    -Fantastic class design (all classes feel unique and fun to play)
    -Combat is fast paced and addictive
    -Tons, tons and tons of content
    -Well designed around playing with others
    -The best endgame out there by far, raids are fun and challenging
    -Very polished in every front

Why wouldn't it be great? People leave because it's natural to leave a game after playing 118723687123 hours of it. If you don't have anything ataching you to the game (like raids or friends) you might just go and maybe comeback for a new expansion.
    This game is insanely good and the best mmo by orders of magnitute.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    I keep hearing this a lot of the time, yet so many people are unhappy with so many aspects of wow, often propose complete overhaul of that game as a way to "fix?" it

So are people really only saying wow is great because of it's huge subscription base? Apparently there are chinese games that beat it hands down subscription wise. And what of the people that think blizzard can do no wrong? is it blind fanaticsm? Content wise is wow really the greatest MMO on the market? I mean Wow may have been great in 2007, but that was 7 years ago, and it may have been coasting on it's popularity ever since.

Is wow really actually great? or is much more of it nostalgia and statistics than a genuinely great product by today standards and not 6 year old standards.
    There is an age old addage that goes something like this: You will never please everyone all of the time, so please as many people as you can most of the time.

When you couple this with a fairly standard observation, that only a very small vocal minority tend to talk about things, you end up with what you are seeing: The appearance that a very large number of people are "unhappy" with many aspects of WoW.

The truth of the matter is, the large majority of the players are pretty happy with the large majority of the game. Sure, pretty much everybody has something they might nitpick about, because WoW is not perfect. But it does what it does much better then pretty much all of its competition.

The people who are vocally unhappy with a lot of WoW are the type of people who probably will never be satisfied unless the game is changed so radically it would outright break the "make the majority happy as often as you can" part of blizzards philosophy, which means that they are never going to get what they want, and so they take to the forums to bitch about it.

Honestly, sometimes the squeeky wheel gets some love, but more often then not, in this kind of situation, the squeeky wheel just gets replaced.

As to other things:
    - You really can not compare chinese MMOs to american ones. They use completely different models for calculating subs, and usually are also designed with a completely different playstyle in mind.

- Content wise, WoW has a SHITLOAD of content. The main problem is that since the main focus of WoW is the "max level" end game, after 4 expantions worth of raised level caps, HUGE swaths of it end up getting bypassed by new players. Sure, as a Vetran of the game since day one of launch, I have seen pretty much ALL of it (though I have never played alliance, so there is a HUGE whack of content there i have not seen), the average new player is probably going to skip upwards of 2/3rds of it on the straight and narrow path to 90. If blizzard could figure out a way to make old content meaningfull to max level players, they could open up a massive amount of "new" stuff for many current players to see.

- WoW definately has not been coasting on it's popularity. They have constantly been innovating and improving the game. To say anything othewise is simply ludicrous. I mean, if you compare WoW at the end of vanilla to WoW today, the number of improvements is astounding.

I really enjoy the combat system. I hate how a lot of other MMORPGs you end up having to 'aim' a lot of your spells and it's all dodgeable by moving out of the way or just keep moving and etc which is bad especially if any latency comes into place. That and their attempts to balance the game, despite it being terribly broken sometimes.. It's still a LOT better than a LOT of games. PvP-wise I've really enjoyed WoW until MoP, which it became really bad or me. It's just better than the competition, and it's hard to move onto another game when you have so much time invested into characters and you KNOW all about this game but not the next. Moving to something you know little or nothing about is a lot harder than just sticking with what you know, especially if you still enjoy WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by .Nensec View Post
    In truth it isn't. Anymore. It used to be much greater than the competition because it managed to put together a lot of good things when the MMO scene was relatively new. They started at the right time, when just about everyone was getting broadband internet.

The game required very low system requirements ( I remember playing it on a single core amd sempron, on board graphics and 512mb ram. Fuck ye. ) so anyone could play it and they largely still keep this formula to this day; you can practically play this game on a toaster if you want to.

Nowadays the game isn't much better than the competition. RIFT, SWtOR, TERA, GW2, etc.. all have their ways of being better than WoW but in the end WoW has history on it's side. Many players are reluctant ( myself included, damn it all ) to start 'anew'. Dropping all the accomplishments gathered over the year and effectively turning them into dust. This is what keeps many players playing too; they don't want their accomplishments to be futile. Ther's a reason I still walk around with "Death's Demise" to this day.

Sure the game is innovating with things, adding in a bunch of technology to push the MMO scene forward. But many have already been done in beforementioned games. They just never reached the popularity to remain as alive and vivid as WoW does. The game has, what, 9 million players left now? That's still about -~8- times as many as all the other games -combined-.

What the other games lack is a buffer where they can fuck about in. WoW can do a lot of things that don't work out 100% and get away with it, if a new game does it then it generally quickly falls apart and the game turns F2P to save it's own ass from certain downfall.

There are many more reasons, such as a very rich lore spanning from '90s to now with so many story twists and spin off plots somewhere that we haven't even seen yet ( Turalyon anyone? ) that can almost consist of an entire expansion alone if you elongate the story a bit and invent some new enemies to fill the gaps ( Hello, Pandaland ).
    that's probably the most comprehensive answer I've heard, I would tend to agree with your assessment here.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dnusha View Post
    Why heroine is great?
    Because she is a strong female role model for impressionable young women.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

it is very big and complete.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    Is this bleeding subs 100 % in correlation with the games greatness?
    Or you know a combination of 9 years of gameplay being boring, bigger competition, far bigger market in singleplayer and multiplayer, quaility free to play games etc.
    What bigger competition? There is no competition, at all.

It is constantly declining for a reason, but competition certainly isn't part of that reason lol.
    Last edited by mmoc3784f78918; 2013-10-25 at 11:54 AM.

Every time I try to play another mmo I always think to myself what's the point you put so much time into wow you might as well stick with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Even in it's worse state, it still craps on other MMOs new & old.

Now I do have my disagreements with what they do, but no other MMO is any better so I kinda have to just live it & hope something good comes out of it.
    Last edited by Arbs; 2013-10-25 at 11:58 AM.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.