10+ Year Old Account
    ffs just got kicked from coe because i wouldnt die to let the others res while killing the silver elite shade thing before the second alpha encounter on p2

Well deserved
    In most cases, I understand the other side's viewpoint and how they came to it, but cannot tolerate their stubbornness to not see mine (the right one).

Deleted
    I second that. ^

I'm not sure why anyone would care unless it was taking forever to solo it. The time it takes to die (thanks to downed state) and/or the time it takes to run out of combat is oftentimes just as long as it would have taken to just finish off the remaining enemies. At least that's been my experience in CoE.

As an aside, I've never seen any group almost-wipe at that part. O_o Were they trying to run through or something?

Hi there guys, Today guildwars is just for 23 Euros. The heroic edition.

As i´ve never played guildwars before. but it looks really cool. is it worth picking up?
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Well, it depends. If you favor a WoW-style game with more of a focus on progression-based content where you must get better and better gear to see the endgame, you might not enjoy GW 2 at its cap as its content stays more accessible at all levels than being focused so much on one strata of character ability.

If you really like the Tank/Heal/DPS dynamic for group content, you might not enjoy GW 2 as it does away with dedicated roles and puts more focus on individual responsibility for survival and working together to down encounters.

I can't speak to the PvP as I've never bothered with it.

In the end, I would recommend a trial weekend if you're not sure you want to spend the money, but in support I also say once you buy it, you can play all you want whenever you feel like it. So, up to you if you feel the investment is worth the risk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by helma View Post
    Hi there guys, Today guildwars is just for 23 Euros. The heroic edition.

As i´ve never played guildwars before. but it looks really cool. is it worth picking up?
    I've got over 2000+ hours in and it's hands down the most fun MMO I've ever played. Frequent content patches, something new every 2 weeks. Massive playerbase, a huge variety of things to do from 32 dungeon paths, Fractals, Guild Missions, WvW, 40+ jumping puzzles and a gorgeous active open world.

The combat is more active than WoW's but loads more fun once you get the hang of it. It's not linear, you can strike off in any direction and you never know what you will find.

No sub fee, cash shop is cosmetic stuff, it's a steal at 23 Euros.
    Last edited by Karizee; 2013-10-27 at 07:58 AM.
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    I'm not sure why anyone would care unless it was taking forever to solo it. The time it takes to die (thanks to downed state) and/or the time it takes to run out of combat is oftentimes just as long as it would have taken to just finish off the remaining enemies. At least that's been my experience in CoE.

As an aside, I've never seen any group almost-wipe at that part. O_o Were they trying to run through or something?
    The shade thing is a healthstealing enemy that hardly deals any damage. This means that you can drag out your death for ages without actually killing it which is annoying for the people waiting to rez.

It's simply faster to die since the group'll have to run back after the shade thing is dead anyway. One person will rally while the others sit there with their fingers up their ass waiting.

So you're making people wait for no god damn reason at all (a 2s repair oh noeeeees!). You're being selfish and for that alone I'd kick you regardless of how good you are.

Let's go with this example:
    Everyone's dead and one guy is defeated and tries to kill the shade. After a minute he kills the shade and moves on. Now the group rezes and runs back which takes another 30s.

Everyone's dead and one guy is defeated, he let's him self die and does so 5s later. Everyone rezes and runs back which takes 30s.

Those are best off scenarios where the shade is nearly dead and thus killed fast. I've seen people fight it for over 2min, I've seen people not kill it at all (which really pisses me off) and ofcourse I've seen the combination of taking 2min and then failing.
    In most cases, I understand the other side's viewpoint and how they came to it, but cannot tolerate their stubbornness to not see mine (the right one).

Deleted
    PvP or WvW (3 servers fighting each other) is all I ever did.
    tbh if you`re getting the game for PvP, it might entertain for a short while, but despite gw2s promising combat, the single PvP game mode maps aren`t remotely fun & are tiny rats mazes.
    WvWs has been turned into huge blobs of folk running around zerging & rarely saw roamers for months last time I played.
    Having said that, if it`s cheap now, you could buy it now & test it out & enjoy, & if not, uninstall it & try it again weeks, months down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    The shade thing is a healthstealing enemy that hardly deals any damage.
    Didn't know that.

So you're making people wait for no god damn reason at all (a 2s repair oh noeeeees!).
    Likewise, your example is people waiting a whole 1.5 minutes (at which point they could be resed on the spot instead of having to run back). Oh noes. :P The only time I care about speed is if I'm trying to get a path (or paths) done before daily reset.

Those are best off scenarios where the shade is nearly dead and thus killed fast. I've seen people fight it for over 2min, I've seen people not kill it at all (which really pisses me off) and ofcourse I've seen the combination of taking 2min and then failing.
    Well, like I said, I have no experience with people dying at that point of the dungeon. Usually everyone is very good about resing downed people so I've never had to deal with only one person being alive and with only the shade left.

Whether or not it's "selfish", I do think it's BS to have to kill yourself because nobody else could keep themselves alive (especially if you can handle what remains solo) and/or keep others up (I've been grouped with people who refuse to res downed people to the detriment of our progress). However, assuming that they weren't just trying to run through the mobs on the stairs it seems like running out of combat (back down the stairs) would have been feasible.
    Last edited by Lane; 2013-10-27 at 04:54 PM.

Likewise, your example is people waiting a whole 1.5 minutes (at which point they could be resed on the spot instead of having to run back). Oh noes. :P The only time I care about speed is if I'm trying to get a path (or paths) done before daily reset.

Well, like I said, I have no experience with people dying at that point of the dungeon. Usually everyone is very good about resing downed people so I've never had to deal with only one person being alive and with only the shade left.

Whether or not it's "selfish", I do think it's BS to have to kill yourself because nobody else could keep themselves alive (especially if you can handle what remains solo) and/or keep others up (I've been grouped with people who refuse to res downed people to the detriment of our progress). However, assuming that they weren't just trying to run through the mobs on the stairs it seems like running out of combat (back down the stairs) would have been feasible.
    Rezing 4people takes a lot longer than running back. Path two only takes 13min so adding another 11.5 is a 11.5% increase in the duration of the dungeon. I personally run dungeons for hours so if every dungeon path would take 11.5% longer (because of one person) I won't be happy.

IMO it's selfish because you make 4people wait just so you can save 2s or however much one death costs. Your stance is going with the idea that because I'm the last to remain downed (and not dead) I'm the one who did nothing wrong, which quite clearly isn't necessarily the case.
    Let's say you're the one who fckd up and got downed, people ran to rez you but got downed too. One of'm died because of the damage from the shade the other one was dpsing and not focusing on self healing (to get the rally off) and you (the person who fckd up to begin with) were sitting there selfhealing, stealthing, porting away,... making it so that you stayed alive longest.

You seem to go with the situation being 4dead 1alive while the described situation was 4dead 1downed.

Rezing 4people takes a lot longer than running back. Path two only takes 13min so adding another 11.5 is a 11.5% increase in the duration of the dungeon. I personally run dungeons for hours so if every dungeon path would take 11.5% longer (because of one person) I won't be happy.
    I don't remember where the nearest WP is prior to that area, so that may be true in this case, but I know in others the run back is quite horrible and I can't imagine it's any shorter than just waiting to be resed in those cases, especially if anything was skipped. I've seen so many additional deaths/run-backs due to having to re-run through skipped areas.

IMO it's selfish because you make 4people wait just so you can save 2s or however much one death costs. Your stance is going with the idea that because I'm the last to remain downed (and not dead) I'm the one who did nothing wrong, which quite clearly isn't necessarily the case.
    It's more that I've never seen anyone die at that part let alone the whole party. I've seen people, sometimes multiple people, get downed there, but everyone's always been resed or rallied. Granted, I only ran CoE long enough to get a full set of gear, but that was still almost daily runs of P1-3 for a few weeks.

You seem to go with the situation being 4dead 1alive while the described situation was 4dead 1downed.
    I didn't see anywhere it said the 5th person was downed. There's no point in trying to stay alive in downed state.

Well, I've been in situations where I was the last one alive (not on the shade though) and easily dispatched what was left. It never even occurred to me that was "selfish" behavior. I think that may be a GW2 thing due to the waypoints because normally you want someone to survive so it's not a full wipe/run-back.

Mea culpa, I thought he specified downed in his message but I checked and this is not the case.

Killing the last thing isn't selfish if you can do it as fast as running to get out of combat.

10+ Year Old Account
    nice to see atleast one person isnt a dick

- - - Updated - - -

Mea culpa, I thought he specified downed in his message but I checked and this is not the case.

Killing the last thing isn't selfish if you can do it as fast as running to get out of combat.
    if you do indeed know the spot where could i run to all thats there is the closed door and the alpha infront of it

and not that it matters but it was half health and i was doing fine considering my zerker gear staff ele dies to pretty much everything else

If i'm correct you're at the top of the stairs after the canon "event" with all the mini golems and right before alpha's room. There's two platforms there. On the first there's two big risen guys that explode and spwn grubs and general bad stuff. On the second platform there's a bunch of risen and the shade, straight after that there's a big hallway to Alpha.

Depends on the situation, what did you kill? Did you pull the group of risen and clear them aside from the shade?
    Normally I just keep running (stick to the left so you don't agro alpha) and then jump to the top where the gate closes and wait there.

It's not about not dieing, it's about how long it takes. If you make me waste 1min on a 12min run I'll be annoyed. If you did something else that annoys me you'd get booted, especially if we(the team) ask you to die and you refuse.

Oh nice, you get glory for Sanctum Sprint now. Sucks that it appears you have to wait out the timer to receive the bonus though.
    Last edited by Lane; 2013-11-01 at 11:43 PM.

Deleted
    I just wanted to show this. ^_^ Finally got it done: CE art framed. Now I should put them on the wall, but I have no idea what order is best. That may take another year. XD

Deleted
    I do like Guild Wars 2, but the constant 2 week thing started to wear a bit thin and so I haven't logged in about 3 weeks.

I really liked playing my Guardian and was planning to go for Twilight (along with some ascended weapons), but the 2 week rotation removed my sense of achievements building on each other - every 2 weeks it was something new, rather than, in my mind, an iteration of previous things.

However, I'm sure all gamers can relate to this, whilst my interest in GW2 is at it's lowest at the moment, it'll come back in time and i'll be right back in the swing of things.
    Last edited by mmoc1ded2e9f70; 2013-11-10 at 09:45 AM.

why not just ignore the living story then? the rest of the world is still there

10+ Year Old Account
    Too quick on the updates now, ho boy...as dooze said ignore the story, its pretty terrible 90% of the time anyway. (Well it was, havent played for a month)