Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Lightbulb Guess next expansion

I originally posted this on the official forum (http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/8498400198), but I guess I'll try to bring the discussion here as well:

With less than 2 weeks till BlizzCon, I wanna try to guess the next expansion. Anyone wanna join me?

Here's my take:

"The Dark Below" will be a WoW expansion (despite "everyone" saying the names a fake). Remember Ozumat (the kraken) from "Throne of the Tides" dungeon? His title is "Fiend of the Dark Below". To me, this indicates that the next expansion will make another attempt at underwater zones.

Patch 6.0.1: Judging from all the clues that Wrathion gives during the current legendary quest-line, I expect to see a return of the Burning Legion. Wrathion is temporarily teaming up with Queen Azshara. Together they re-open the portal near the first Well of Eternity to the Burning Legion's homeworld in attempt to launch a counter-attack.
    Queen Azshara's corruption and anger runs too deep, so Wrathion abandons her and we'll face her as the 1st boss of the 1st tier.
    Kil'jaeden returns to Azeroth (the Sunwell was merely a setback!). He will be the 2nd boss of the 1st tier. Upon his defeat, he will herald the coming of Sargeras.

Patch 6.1: Filler-patch. Reveals that an Old God is about to break loose.

Patch 6.2: One of the Old Gods will be raid-boss for the 2nd tier. Probably N'Zoth (check out the whispers from the "Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron": http://wowpedia.org/Puzzle_Box_of_Yogg-Saron#Notes). He will be referred to as "The Dark Below"

Patch 6.3: 2nd filler-patch. Inhabitants of Azeroth is preparing to defend against Sargeras' invasion.

Patch 6.4: As Kil'jaeden has fallen for the last time, Sargeras will make a personal visit to Azeroth in a final attempt to conquer it, and he will be the end-boss. Sargeras resurrects Queen Azshara to be part of a scenario, or 5-man (the raid was merely a setback).

Other notes:
    New level cap is 95.

The Burning Legion will attack from two fronts: The portal that Wrathion and Queen Azshara opens and Outland. Either the already discovered parts of Outland will get a revamp, or we will see the discovery of new Outland zones (possibly a combination of both).

If new Outland-zones are discovered, these zones will have been more heavily affected by the strange properties of the Twisting Nether. The new zones may be constantly morphing. Some instances might get random layouts every time you enter (like Diablo-maps). And we may see historic events repeat itself as time does not exist in normal state in the Nether.

Due to the success of 3-man scenarios, I expect to see raids getting scenario-like mechanics as well.

Old raids will be revived!

By old raids, I mean all the tier-raids like Molten Core all the way up to the latest raid-tier.

The way I imagine that people access these raids is that a time-less artifact has been found. The artifact can either already have been discovered by some NPC's and made available for immediate use, or access could be given through an attunement-quest. You can only group up with other players from the same "Connected Realm"-group and/or RealID/BattleTag-friends. Through this artifact, people can enter all the tier-raids that has ever been.

When people enter the raid, all mobs and bosses will be scaled up (think like SoO Flex). To give an example: When people enter Molten Core through this artifact, mobs and bosses will scale up, based on the average item-level of the raid (this to prevent people from over-gearing the raid). And similar for people entering Dragon Soul.

So what incentives should there be for people to run these raids if gear doesn't matter? I think leaderboards can be created, much like for the challenge-modes. Bosses and mobs can drop cosmetic versions of the items that they would otherwise drop when entering them the normal way. For example: Ragnaros can drop stat-less cosmetic versions of T2 leggings and any other item that would drop in the normal raid. This can also be an alternative way of acquiring alternative currency like Valor and/or Justice points, or "Lesser Charm of Good Fortune"-equivalents.

LFR loot-system will be changed to give rewards based on contribution in the raid. This system will also look at the highest average ilvl of your gear (not just equipped, but also in bags/bank) to determine a minimum level of expected contribution. No more free loot to AFK'ers! \o/

More world-events, similar to the events in Guild Wars 2 and the fates in "Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn". Will use contribution-based reward-system.

Edit:
    Another thing that came to my attention is that The Emerald Dream problem was not entirely solved. There's still the "Rift of Aln".

Quote Originally Posted by http://wowpedia.org/Rift_of_Aln
    Gazing into it, Malfurion Stormrage saw it as a bottomless chasm which radiated with primeval energies that even he dared not investigate. Indeed, the very rift itself seemed half-dreamed, for it had a surreal quality to its expanse and to the archdruid now and then seemed to ripple as if ready to fade or change.

Curiously, only then did Malfurion truly sense that the ancient evil, though it fought to keep its grip there, did so from somewhere deep in the depths of Azeroth's own seas
    This "primeval" energy could emanate from an Old God, and since it says it comes from the depths of Azeroth's sea, I'd say this is quite an obvious reference to the Dark Below. Very likely N'Zoth.

One scenario that pops into my mind now is that N'Zoth might try to corrupt Wrathion, the way he corrupted Neltharion. To me, it wouldn't make sense to kill off Wrathion already, so maybe we'll have to fight N'Zoth to save Wrathion, and one possible place to fight him would be within the remains of Emerald Nightmare.
    Last edited by Zaroxen; 2013-10-29 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Added more speculation

Yay.... another TDB thread.... =[

Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    The expansion is not The Dark Below.

It was looking good up until the 6.4 stuff and legion stuff, unless that was post end expansion and it leads into the next one.

Quote Originally Posted by Aspen View Post
    The only statement of "It's not TDB" that I will trust, will come directly from Blizzard. Boubouille has been wrong in the past, and I see no reason for him to not be wrong in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaroxen View Post
    The only statement of "It's not TDB" that I will trust, will come directly from Blizzard. Boubouille has been wrong in the past, and I see no reason for him to not be wrong in the future.
    And yet the only reason people believe The Dark Below is because Boubouille posted it originally.

Hilariously backwards logic.

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicGuitars View Post
    And yet the only reason people believe The Dark Below is because Boubouille posted it originally.

Do you have any other ideas for what the name could be, or what the theme of the expansion will be? What features? No? Nothing constructive to reply with?

For now, the trademarking-process of "TDB" is the only indication we've had so far. It could be a fraudulent application, or it can be very real.

Now please... If you wish to join me in guessing what the next expansion will be, feel free to reply. If you're only going to troll, then I guess you'll try trolling no matter what I write.

Deleted
    If Sargeras was added as a boss he would be the endboss to wow, let's think about how powerful he is compared to previous bosses they are but mere insects, he is immune to mortal weapons so it would be interesting would a raid would get to fight and ultimately defeat him.

THIS.IS.MADNESS!
    Blizzard can't waste the two major survived threats all together! In that case, could be the last wow xpac.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    what would come after that hypothetical expansion pack?

Guess the next expac? ok; The dark below

Old god, Azshara, and Wrathion focused. (some timekeepers in there to explain lvl scaling and build up to the next expac / a timekeeper raid)

Underwater / underground Zones, below the maelstrom, possibly beneath the entire surface of azeroth, with entrances all over the world, (org, undercity, IF, Re-taken Gnomer)

Wrathion might team up with Azshara to try to create one strong military force to stand against the legion

The Legion will NOT be in this expac, (more than they usually are) (not as a raid, KJ, Arch, or Sarg will not be bosses in any raids)

^I'm fairly sure all of this will happen.
    v not so sure

I hope: They mess around with the factions, introduce a 3rd faction (wrathions faction / mixup of horde and ally races that understand the horde / ally war means nothing compared to the legion threat) or some form of changing ones Allegiance to the factions,

4th talent specs
    I've no idea what to write here.

Another thing that came to my attention is that The Emerald Dream problem was not entirely solved. There's still the "Rift of Aln".

Quote Originally Posted by http://wowpedia.org/Rift_of_Aln
    Gazing into it, Malfurion Stormrage saw it as a bottomless chasm which radiated with primeval energies that even he dared not investigate. Indeed, the very rift itself seemed half-dreamed, for it had a surreal quality to its expanse and to the archdruid now and then seemed to ripple as if ready to fade or change.

Curiously, only then did Malfurion truly sense that the ancient evil, though it fought to keep its grip there, did so from somewhere deep in the depths of Azeroth's own seas
    This "primeval" energy could emanate from an Old God, and since it says it comes from the depths of Azeroth's sea, I'd say this is quite an obvious reference to the Dark Below. Very likely N'Zoth.

One scenario that pops into my mind now is that N'Zoth might try to corrupt Wrathion, the way he corrupted Neltharion. To me, it wouldn't make sense to kill off Wrathion already, so maybe we'll have to fight N'Zoth to save Wrathion, and one possible place to fight him would be within the remains of Emerald Nightmare.

Queen Azshara, Kil'jaeden and Sargeras as a boss in one Expansion? Thats really not going to happen. They all are end expansion bosses.
    N'zoth will have it's own expansion with Queen Azshara most likely.

I guess it will be a Burning Legion expansion with Kil'jaeden as the final villain. This or N'Zoth.
    <inactive>

10+ Year Old Account
    I've got a nagging gut feeling that the Legion is just too damn obvious, and kind of a whiff effort-wise on Blizz's part. I'm thinking that if we don't see some kind of closure with regards to Aszhara/Neptulon/Zul, the next most likely will be some kind of Infinite Flight/timey-wimey exp.
    "Stop being a giant trolling asshole." - Boubouille
    "The Internet is built on complaints about asinine things" - prefect
    "Facts became discussable when critical thinking stopped being the focus of education."- Chonogo
    "Sometimes people confuse "We Don't Understand This Yet" with "Ooga Booga Space Magic" - Chazus

I think it will be level 90-100... reason is the boa weapons you get in soO from Garrosh go up to level 100. Just a thought

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aspen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaroxen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CosmicGuitars View Post

And yet Boub himself said, in response to pressure, that he has no idea what TDB truly was. He even admits that "it could be The Dark Below."

He also lets on that he knows what's going to be part of the expansion, but not what the name is.

I think it's Azshara, and level 95. Yes the heirlooms go to 100, but that's easy to explain as a mislead because the devs know full-well if they made the heirlooms run to 95 that that'd immediately confirm the Legion isn't next.

As for why Azshara, she fits perfectly as the bridge between Azeroth and Argus. She has her dealings in the past with N'Zoth, she kidnapped Neptulon and has likely taken over his position as Elemental Lady of Water, she connects directly to the story of Shao Hao and the Mists, Zandalar was swallowed by the seas, she's delt with Sargeras himself in the past, and the Tomb of Sargeras is in the Great Sea.

There's no logical way to go Argus to Azshara unless my pet theory is true and Azshara plays second fiddle to N'Zoth.
    Last edited by Slowpoke is a Gamer; 2013-10-29 at 05:56 PM.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Urti View Post
    the next most likely will be some kind of Infinite Flight/timey-wimey exp.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY_Ry8J_jdw

probably where you got it from, but worth posting. Yeah, i think you're right. showing glimpses of a bronze dragon dying in the caverns of time for no reason doesn't make sense.

Is the legion coming? yea. Next expansion? no.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NMX- View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY_Ry8J_jdw

probably where you got it from, but worth posting. Yeah, i think you're right. showing glimpses of a bronze dragon dying in the caverns of time for no reason doesn't make sense.

Is the legion coming? yea. Next expansion? no.
    There is WAY too much risk in doing time travel. I mean sure if you're a lore buff it's like a blow job on christmas. But for the average player that doesn't know Illidan outside of BT, or know Broxxigar at all? "Oh this is cool, so this is what was happening during Shao Hao's life?" "Oh.... now it's..... Stormwind? OH SHIT IT'S ON FIRE." "Oh now I'm fighting demons again.... what's the plot of this expansion exactly? Killing Nozdormu? Didn't I do that 2 expansions ago?"
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

N'Zoth, maybe Azshara, and Murzond as bosses. Leaning towards N'Zoth being the main baddies since he's stirred up a ton of shit.

We'll learn that Nozdurmo will be the new nightmare lord, also making him Murzond and we will raid the emerald dream in 6.2(?) if they keep the same patch formula. The rift will take us to N'Zoth for final raid and we will defeat him.

The burning legion could be introduced, depending upon if they use Azshara as well. If well of eternity is still in power, then I could see a portal being opened near the end allowing demons to get through in large amounts. Then I could see as the event before 7.0 where we slaughter demons and eventually the portal opens to argus and we get Draenei lore the end.

I also can see the woods mentioned in the puzzle box being the woods in the gilnaes zone, when the alliance goes to reclaim the city, old god minions come from some of the Forrest's, and maybe some naga from the sea for the event for next expansion.

I have more theory's that I'm not going to share just yet. Wait until the expansion is confirmed
    Blizzard White Knighting is not allowed

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    And yet Boub himself said, in response to pressure, that he has no idea what TDB truly was. He even admits that "it could be The Dark Below."

He also lets on that he knows what's going to be part of the expansion, but not what the name is.
    His most recent statement, quoted above from a couple days ago, is that the name is not The Dark Below. It was said with follow up comments that indicated he knows the actual name as well.

But I'm still on board for the theme the name invokes.

Also, why would heirlooms going to 95 confirm the Legion isn't next but them going to 100 would? Why is 100 some magical number that people think will see some major turn in the game, like the end or something?
    Looking for Raid: you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. Come - we must be cautious.

This has inspired me to write a next expansion thread...... NOT!

Ugh Wrathion will not team up with Queen Azshara and I highly doubt we will see Sargeras just yet.

Plus, I don't think we will be seeing the concept of The Dark Below and Legion in the same expansion. That is just too much content to cover it properly.