Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Exclamation Warcraft Main Plot Losing Steam?

Yeah, Warcraft is great and all, but considering that I've been playing the same basic formula since BC, it's kinda of getting, um, tediously boring.

Not in the sense the WoW is arduous to play, it's just that we left off the Warcraft RTS series thinking that the next game we would defeat Sargeras and save Azeroth from the legion forever. One game and eleven years later, we're still not even sure if the next expac will wrap that plot up. Yes yes, Sargeras isn't all of the bad guys, but he's the main antagonist of Warcraft. I'd really like to see some form of resolution to the main Warcraft plot before going on to other adventures.

Your thoughts?
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2013-10-27 at 11:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I kind of agree. They keep poking at the Burning Legion story arc. They should at least finish it before continuing with other events.

edit: as another post mentioned, Sargeras is what's keeping us busy and it's a bit too soon to strike him down
    Last edited by Polybius; 2013-10-27 at 11:21 PM.

Deleted
    You really think that for example in Warcraft 4 we would kill Sargeras and that would be the end of Warcraft story?

Deleted
    I'm not the kind of guy who knows everything about the lore of this game. What I mostly hear however, is that the game would be kinda pointless lorewise if we killed Sargeras first and then go do some dungeons at some random Pandaren island. It's just how Blizzard does it lorewise, and it tries to keep the best plot at the end. It's funny you've mentioned this too, a PLOT has to be at the end. Maybe you want everything to round up already, but with more then 7 million subscribers paying monthly it would be kinda a bad business decision to make to wrap all things up.

Deleted
    To be honest I did not get into WoW with the prediction that I was gonna kill Sargeras. He wasn't really mention that heavily in WC and we never really knew his entire power, so why should we expect to kill him and the legion in WoW?

Herald of the Titans Chain Chungus's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Seems like they have been putting off the big stories. I don't really think that is necessary at all since writing is an evolutionary process. We could easily have an expac now where we kill Sargeras and they could write up an even bigger villain for the next one. Just because it doesn't exist now doesn't mean it is impossible.

Procrastination leads to boredom.

We've spent two expansions now sort of humming and hahing. The game needs to refocus and get back to it's roots one way or another. We need a big bad guy that we can love to hate, and heroes we can get behind rather than be irritated by.

10+ Year Old Account
    If they finished what was left after the original games a lot of people would feel completion in the story they've been waiting for and quit afterwards, at least I assume. They're probably dragging it out to keep the subs going.

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicGuitars View Post
    We've spent two expansions now sort of humming and hahing. The game needs to refocus and get back to it's roots one way or another. We need a big bad guy that we can love to hate, and heroes we can get behind rather than be irritated by.
    I mean, Cata had Deathwing, but I felt nothing for him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelbert View Post
    I kind of agree. They keep poking at the Burning Legion story arc. They should at least finish it before continuing with other events.
    I was wondering when someone would bring up returning to the legion.

One key thing with WoW is there is no main storyline. Every expansion exists as its own self-contained storyline. It has a beginning (pre-event) and ending (final raid final boss).

Now I'll hand it to this poster, he didn't step over the line and claim that "the Legion is the over-arcing storyline of WoW. Cata and MoP are just filler on the way to Argus" but I know there are those people who think that. That 100 is the end of WoW, that 100 is killing Sargeras on Argus, and that the Legion is the story of WoW.

They're wrong. WoW has no story, it'd be better to discuss if WoW should have a greater story than if we should return to one.

- - - Updated - - -

And what is that root? The Legion? See my post on how the Legion is NOT the storyline of WoW.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

15+ Year Old Account
    ... what main plot?

The Burning Legion? We defeated them. Twice. Once in Warcraft 3, once in TBC. They need time to plan for another invasion. It took them 10,000 years to try again after they failed at the Sunwell. Why do you expect them to come back so soon?

If you ask me, the Burning Legion plot is tacked on. I started with Orcs vs. Humans, and Warcraft 3, for the longest time, had me going "What the hell did you just do to Warcraft?" Mists of Pandaria was awesome for me - it was basically Warcraft 2 in themes. Sure, there's an Old God in there, but I've long since accepted them as part of the lore.

The only plot that needs to be resolved, in my eyes, is what happened to those left on Draenor. You know, that we left there at the end of Warcraft 2's expansion? Sure, we know three of them are alive and well, but we haven't seen two of them in a long time. What of the planet they went to after they fled Draenor originally? What was it? What did they find there?

Each expansion has its own plot, and we conclude it. They leave hints that we might be back to revisit that theme and plot in the future, but that's it. Sure, there's some big demon out there to take on, but that's down the road - we've beat them twice, so they might think twice before messing with Azeroth again. And we've defeated a Herald of the Titans and sent the good reply code back, so that's dealt with for now.

So, in the meantime, we have our local problems to take care of - an insane dragon trying to destroy the world and a power obsessed orc trying to conquer the world.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Travio View Post
    ... what main plot?

The Burning Legion? We defeated them. Twice. Once in Warcraft 3, once in TBC. They need time to plan for another invasion. It took them 10,000 years to try again after they failed at the Sunwell. Why do you expect them to come back so soon?
    Well let's tally all the times we've beaten the Legion in Lore.

1. War of the Ancients
    2. Aegewynn defeats the Avatar of Sargeras
    3. Warcraft 2
    4. Beyond the Dark Portal
    5. Warcraft 3
    6. Sunwell Plateau

One could argue we stopped them in The Frozen Throne by not allowing Illidan to destroy the Lich King.....

Either way, the Legion has been beaten so bad it's amazing they haven't hit Saturday Morning Cartoon status.

Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    I mean, Cata had Deathwing, but I felt nothing for him.
    Deathwing used to be a cool antagonist but his entire character and personality were diluted and was replaced by 'insanity because old gods'.

I miss the Deathwing that sew disarray within the ranks of the Alliance through his actions as Daval Prestor. He was ruthless and cunning, and acted with tact and intelligence. He wasn't a brute that knocked over things because he was large.

At no point during Cataclysm did I feel like I was fighting Deathwing. Only a big metal dragon.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    "We have fallen, we must rebuild the final Titan! Do not forget. "

The Titans have fallen in the fight against the Burning Legion. Azeroth is, or holds the key to reconstructing, the final Titan. There is nothing between us and the all-consuming flames anymore. No dragons, no ancients, no wisps. We the lost lamb in the dark woods.

"YOU HAVE FAILED ME VARIMATHRAS".
    ABOMS NORTH-LEFT!

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    I was wondering when someone would bring up returning to the legion.

One key thing with WoW is there is no main storyline. Every expansion exists as its own self-contained storyline. It has a beginning (pre-event) and ending (final raid final boss).

Now I'll hand it to this poster, he didn't step over the line and claim that "the Legion is the over-arcing storyline of WoW. Cata and MoP are just filler on the way to Argus" but I know there are those people who think that. That 100 is the end of WoW, that 100 is killing Sargeras on Argus, and that the Legion is the story of WoW.

They're wrong. WoW has no story, it'd be better to discuss if WoW should have a greater story than if we should return to one.

- - - Updated - - -

And what is that root? The Legion? See my post on how the Legion is NOT the storyline of WoW.
    The entire plot of World of Warcraft circulates around the Burning Legion - namely, Sargeras. The corruption of the Eredar? The Burning Legion. The Shattering of Azeroth? The Burning Legion. The Orcish invasion of Azeroth? The Burning Legion. The Scourge? The Burning Legion. Even Pandaria would have not been in the state it is in without the Legion threat looming over head. Almost everything in the game eventually leads back to the tamperings of the Burning Legion, or impending threat of the Legion's full-scale invasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    Yeah, Warcraft is great and all, but considering that I've been playing the same basic formula since BC, it's kinda of getting, um, tediously boring.

Not in the sense the WoW is arduous to play, it's just that we left off the Warcraft RTS series thinking that the next game we would defeat Sargeras and save Azeroth from the legion forever. One game and eleven years later, we're still not even sure if the next expac will wrap that plot up. Yes yes, Sargeras isn't all of the bad guys, but he's the main antagonist of Warcraft. I'd really like to see some form of resolution to the main Warcraft plot before going on to other adventures.

Your thoughts?
    If there will be <1M players by the time Sargeras is killed, I think Blizzard is making the WoW fans a disservice by not going after the main villains.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Well let's tally all the times we've beaten the Legion in Lore.

1. War of the Ancients
    2. Aegewynn defeats the Avatar of Sargeras
    3. Warcraft 2
    4. Beyond the Dark Portal
    5. Warcraft 3
    6. Sunwell Plateau

One could argue we stopped them in The Frozen Throne by not allowing Illidan to destroy the Lich King.....

Either way, the Legion has been beaten so bad it's amazing they haven't hit Saturday Morning Cartoon status.
    The only active argument here could be that everything, so far, has been them attempting to soften us up for invasion. I believe WC2 and BtDP were meant to be softening up for the invasion of WC3, which became softening up for the invasion of TBC/SWP. Which was softening up for...

Yeah, I'd rather not see the Legion again for awhile. I'd rather deal with some localized threats than some all powerful cosmic entity's personal army.

10+ Year Old Account
    The entire plot of World of Warcraft circulates around the Burning Legion - namely, Sargeras. The corruption of the Eredar? The Burning Legion. The Shattering of Azeroth? The Burning Legion. The Orcish invasion of Azeroth? The Burning Legion. The Scourge? The Burning Legion. Even Pandaria would have not been in the state it is in without the Legion threat looming over head. Almost everything in the game eventually leads back to the tamperings of the Burning Legion, or impending threat of the Legion's full-scale invasion.
    I have a personal theory about the Legion. I put it in my sig.

But no, I don't think the Legion are a big part of WoW lore. They seem in many ways more like a tack-on and a sub-plot most of the time. Yes, we'll get back to beating on them at some point. But by no means will stopping the Legion be the resolution of a plot that's been in the works since 2003.

It'll be its own self-contained plot, just like every expansion.

Deleted
    The Burning Legion and Sargeras have been around for over 10,000 years. It would be stupid to assume we're gonna walk in and clear out all the trouble in a few months or years (either game time or real time)

The problem was is that the faction war was a doomed project from the start. one faction couldn't destroy the other, harm them, yes, but destroy their power base no. War stories are best saved for rts games. Blizzard attempts a goal that was too high of a reach.