Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    It's only good on protectors, a pretty easy fight anyway

Would like to see what other peoples thoughts are on what spec is most optimal on a boss by boss basis in heroic.

My thoughts based on my progress so far 7/14 HC

Immerseus - Destruction via FnB aoe.
    Fallen Protectors - Affliction multi dotting seems to be the strongest here.
    Norushen - Undecided on this, personally I've been playing destruction because I'm usually later in the rotation for getting cleansed so constant flow embers from add killing duty seems to be the best way for me personally.
    Sha of Pride - Played this as destruction but input would be appreciated.
    Galakras - Hands down destruction aoe potential is through the roof.
    Iron Juggernaut - Affliction opener burst seems to be able to carry this fight but at lower item levels I guess destruction might be competetive.
    Dark Shamans - About to start progress on this boss so input would be appreciated on this but looking at logs it seems destruction does higher dps but my guess would be that is down to add damage.
    Nazgrim - Found affliction to be strongest here with the constant waves of adds.

Everything below I have no yet personally had the opportunity to test so feedback from the warlock community would be massively appreciated.

Malkorok -
    Spoils -
    Thok -
    Siegecrafter -
    Paragons -
    Garrosh - Obviously no where near to progressing this with my current guild but from watching vids it seems destruction is the better spec for this fight.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortalislol View Post
    Would like to see what other peoples thoughts are on what spec is most optimal on a boss by boss basis in heroic.

My thoughts based on my progress so far 7/14 HC

Immerseus - Destruction via FnB aoe.
    Fallen Protectors - Affliction multi dotting seems to be the strongest here.
    Norushen - Undecided on this, personally I've been playing destruction because I'm usually later in the rotation for getting cleansed so constant flow embers from add killing duty seems to be the best way for me personally.
    Sha of Pride - Played this as destruction but input would be appreciated.
    Galakras - Hands down destruction aoe potential is through the roof.
    Iron Juggernaut - Affliction opener burst seems to be able to carry this fight but at lower item levels I guess destruction might be competetive.
    Dark Shamans - About to start progress on this boss so input would be appreciated on this but looking at logs it seems destruction does higher dps but my guess would be that is down to add damage.
    Nazgrim - Found affliction to be strongest here with the constant waves of adds.

Everything below I have no yet personally had the opportunity to test so feedback from the warlock community would be massively appreciated.

Malkorok -
    Spoils -
    Thok -
    Siegecrafter -
    Paragons -
    Garrosh - Obviously no where near to progressing this with my current guild but from watching vids it seems destruction is the better spec for this fight.
    Norushen - I've played both affliction and destro here and did the exact same damage with both, worth noting that I'm first or second to go get purified.
    Sha of pride - I play affliction and I just dps the boss, fragments and manifestation, the warrior in my guild completely destroys the reflections, it would be hopeless for me to try to sb cleave them to the boss. I dont like destro 'cause I don't want to take damage + pride from the bolts the rifts cast, and I can go lazy mode with kjc
    Juggernaut - again affli 'cause I dont want to have my 10 stack wush chaos bolt being interrupted by a chainblade and leave me in misery.
    Shamans - Depends on the comp we have for the week, but if we need add damage, I go destro, if not affliction. Did the fight as both and got slightly better result with affli, but when I was progressing it, I just went destro for more survivability since the damage is the same magnitude.
    Malkorok - Did as affli cause of seismic slam interrupting empowered chaos bolts and having to move from the orbs that remove the shield.
    Spoils - progressing as destro, dont really see the point of being affli here.

Deleted
    Malkorok -
    Spoils -
    Thok -
    Destruction for Spoils. Malkorok works with both. Thok, I believe Destruction has more potential here.

Haven't killed the other three on heroic yet.

Deleted
    A lot depends on comp, but the way I see it (we run with Ele Sham, 2*Hunter, Feral, DK, Mage with the Mage or 1 Hunter switching out mostly):

-Immerseus HC: Destro for adds.
    -Protectors HC: Aff
    -Norushen HC: Destro for cleaving. Adds die too fast to get anything meaningful out of Affliction except for SS refreshes. Still easy enough to Shadowburn/CB cleave as Destro. I'm dead last to get purified (and still rock the deeps)
    -Sha HC: Destro for adds and cleaving the big add. I'm also fairly fond of Ember Tap here (since I ignore the ground splashes, don't like interrupted CB because of minor splash damage)
    -Galakras HC: Aff. I'm always on tower duty, my group thinks it's a wonderful idea to let a Mage down instead of a Destro Lock. Get powerful dots running on the tower miniboss, then spread to all those adds up there. They just melt.
    -Iron Juggernaut HC: Aff. We're cheesing the transitions and trinkets pop up right when he goes into phase 2, get a row of heavily buffed dots on him and stick your Observer on it. Our Healing can easily handle the knockbacks, so I don't really need Ember Tap or a Void Sac.
    -Shamans HC: Aff. Our Elemental Shaman and Hunter(s) carve up the slimes, so I tend not to care about them at all. Affliction for the absurd opener and I regen shards twice on slimes before they are dead. Makes for silly Haunt uptimes. The fight is over pretty quickly for us too.
    -Nazgrim HC: Destro. While you can cheese DPS with by just keeping dots up in Def stance, I prefer to Shadowburn cleave my way to the top of the charts. Very smooth fight for Destro imo, has a nice flow to it.
    -Malkorok HC: Aff. Just dies too fast for Destro to catch up to the Aff burst. Our melee takes care of adds, so I just regen shards on them. Ember Tap is nice if your shield isn't strong enough and you need to soak, but then I just blame the healers (and I haven't had that issue yet).
    -Spoils HC: Destro all the way. If your tank pulls steadily, you're basically spending most of your time either casting Shadowburn or CB. The only fight that makes me feel alive .

Have yet to do the others on HC, will see what I do when I get there. 50/50 Aff/Destro, didn't expect that.
    Last edited by mmoc112630d291; 2013-10-28 at 09:14 AM.

I was unaware but would like confirmation, can you roll dots on Nazgrim in defensive stance without causing rage gains?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortalislol View Post
    I was unaware but would like confirmation, can you roll dots on Nazgrim in defensive stance without causing rage gains?
    Dots only generate rage when applied to Nazgrim in Defensive Stance. The subsequent ticks do not generate rage. Our group generally allows classes to keep their dots up on him, it never pushes him into a Warsong or anything harsher if you clear banners/handle adds correctly. If it can allow your guild to line up BL with a final berserker stance, then by all means.

If your tactic consists of dotting during def stance, just keep track of his ragebar. You don't really want a Ravager or a War Song + Sniper Shoot/Bladestorm
    Last edited by mmoc112630d291; 2013-10-28 at 02:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Myz View Post
    Dots only generate rage when applied to Nazgrim in Defensive Stance. The subsequent ticks do not generate rage. Our group generally allows classes to keep their dots up on him, it never pushes him into a Warsong or anything harsher if you clear banners/handle adds correctly. If it can allow your guild to line up BL with a final berserker stance, then by all means.

If your tactic consists of dotting during def stance, just keep track of his ragebar. You don't really want a Ravager or a War Song + Sniper Shoot/Bladestorm
    Actually, affliction dots don't seem to give him rage at all. From what I understand, dots only give him rage if they deal damage on application (things like SW:P and DP from shadow priests).

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmah View Post
    Actually, affliction dots don't seem to give him rage at all. From what I understand, dots only give him rage if they deal damage on application (things like SW:P and DP from shadow priests).
    Yes, they do. Basically any hostile action that isn't a pet attack gives him Rage.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by EvreliaGaming View Post
    Yes, they do. Basically any hostile action that isn't a pet attack gives him Rage.
    This isn't true. Our other lock played affliction and nazgrim gained no rage from having dots placed on him.

I believe kalmah's explanation is correct.

is it possible for me to do more single target dps as affliction than destro atm im doing stable 180k dps on my destro warlock but i can burst at 220k. my armory is http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...blood/advanced just want some advice since for my ilvl 180k dps as destro feels low for me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquidsteel View Post
    This isn't true. Our other lock played affliction and nazgrim gained no rage from having dots placed on him.

It's hard to keep track of it 100%, but afaik my dot applications do give him a bit of rage. I'll check in detail next reset.

Quote Originally Posted by Liquidsteel View Post

Nazgrim cannot gain rage from being attacked in Defensive Stance more than once a second. It is possible someone else struck him up to 1 second before dots were applied.
    Back when dot snapshotting was a thing, I wrote this piece of junk.

Deleted
    afaik the application of the dots does give him rage but each of the dot ticks doesnt give him rage.

Correct, only the application gives him one tick. The thing is with soulswap it's worth the 1 rage tick, because if you are doing things correctly 1 tick of rage is negligable, especially in a 10 man. Generally I'll just build full pandemic dots on one of the adds, especially with trinket procs, then just soul swap it to Nazgrim. Generally I Soulswap again when corruption is about to fall off or I get big trinket procs instead of doing it everytime UA falls off, especially if agony/corruption are empowered dots just to keep the rage gain to a minimum.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by warlockblood View Post
    is it possible for me to do more single target dps as affliction than destro atm im doing stable 180k dps on my destro warlock but i can burst at 220k. my armory is http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...blood/advanced just want some advice since for my ilvl 180k dps as destro feels low for me.
    You're only bursting 40k more than your average dps? I'm at 548 ilvl without legendary and usually burst 450-550k at the start of the fight and end up around ~230k, that's on a fight as malkorok.

Your gear seems mostly reforged/gemmed/enchanted fine, shouldn't skip the belt buckle though. Weapon and shado-pan trinket is probably the main factors ruining your dps. Can't really comment on your gameplay as I've no current way to review it.

I doubt affli would help your dps at your current ilvl.

OT: Damn, looking forward to the legendary cloak. Seems like Ordos can be amazing for gear.
    Last edited by xytech; 2013-10-29 at 08:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by xytech View Post
    You're only bursting 40k more than your average dps? I'm at 548 ilvl without legendary and usually burst 450-550k at the start of the fight and end up around ~230k, that's on a fight as malkorok.

Your gear seems mostly reforged/gemmed/enchanted fine, shouldn't skip the belt buckle though. Weapon and shado-pan trinket is probably the main factors ruining your dps. Can't really comment on your gameplay as I've no current way to review it.

I doubt affli would help your dps at your current ilvl.

OT: Damn, looking forward to the legendary cloak. Seems like Ordos can be amazing for gear.
    thanks for looking at my gear . im currently doing flex with my guild but progress is slow but that doesn't matter for trinkets and the weapon well i just have to be lucky with drops on flex. i'll just stay destro for now thanks for the help.

Destro has been stronger for me on single target since the changes. Currently sitting at 570 ilvl and things doesn't seem to get better for Affliction.

On Nazgrim HC I always keep all my dots rolling during defensive stance with SB:SS. He only gets 3 rage for each SB:SS so there's no reason not to do it. I've also got my Observer parked in his ass 100%.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonkura View Post
    Destro has been stronger for me on single target since the changes. Currently sitting at 570 ilvl and things doesn't seem to get better for Affliction.

On Nazgrim HC I always keep all my dots rolling during defensive stance with SB:SS. He only gets 3 rage for each SB:SS so there's no reason not to do it. I've also got my Observer parked in his ass 100%.
    I like to play Destro on Nazgrim for the first 10 seconds of 6M burst haha.

Fun Fact - I've still never wiped to this boss on either Normal or Heroic, what a joke!

Deleted
    Aff gets better than destro when a new patch is released.