Page 1 of 3
LastLast

<Undergeared, the Proven Assailant>: How much leeway do they get?

Hi friends,

I'm just curious what your threshold for ilvl or dps requirement would be for either SoO flex or SoO normal based on a character having the <Proven Assailant> title vs. not having this title. Basically would you take a ilvl 520 Proven Assailant over a 540 Jenkins? 515 v 545?

I'm a feral druid, which according to wowprogress there are only 62 druids as of this writing that have gotten the title for damage, being generous and saying only 31 ferals (though I bet it's less than that) makes the assailant title exceedingly rare among ferals at least.

EDIT: The Proven Assailant title was earned on their current, undergeared toon.
    Last edited by drockrock; 2013-10-31 at 02:02 PM.

I'll update my original post to say they got it on their current character.

If they seemed to be competent in their class, I would take them regardless of what title or iLevel within reason, and see how they perform, with the understanding that if they aren't performing up to snuff they would be replaced same as anyone else not performing adequately.

Pretty much with a 520 iLevel, title or no, my reply would be "Show me what you can do; if you aren't performing to my expectations then I will replace you".

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, the gear in the end doesn't matter. The extra gems from the higher ilvl gear helps but I've been working on that title on my 508 hunter and will prob get it soon. Would you take my 508 hunter over a 540?
    <Semi Retired> - Recruiting for 9.2!

The title means nothing because it's BoA. Any mage/hunter/dk gets no treatment for the title.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    The title means nothing because it's BoA. Any mage/hunter/dk gets no treatment for the title.
    Exactly, nothing beats wearing "proven healer" on a mage (as i do)

10+ Year Old Account
    520 with Proven Assailant any day.

The fact is there's Flex raiders with 540 item levels and they are pulling mostly 150kish which is way too low and just shows people don't know their class properly.

We have someone on my serv who is #1 tank in PGs, #3 healer in PGs and has several gold medals in CMs. (And funny char names, btw. )
    This person doesn't seem to raid, (s)he ran each LFR once or twice and killed a few bosses in Flex. Anyway, armory says ilvl 527/540, which is a bit low compared to our raid (we're between 550 and 560), but if we need a pick-up and that char whisp me, I'd definitely give it a chance.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Inthislzon View Post
    Exactly, nothing beats wearing "proven healer" on a mage (as i do)
    Some hunters/warlocks did "proven protector", so why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Kuul View Post

The fact is there's Flex raiders with 540 item levels and they are pulling mostly 150kish which is way too low and just shows people don't know their class properly.
    150k is more than enough for first 11 bosses in SOO normal.
    You can try to fit me in a box, only to see me burst out of it.

Deleted
    Depends on what we are talking about.

LFR - I would give 40 item levels + to the guy
    Flex - 30
    Normal pug - 15
    Guild looking for members - 40, it is harder finding a good player than it is to gear one up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuul View Post

150k dps is enough for all 4 wings of flex. No problem here.

You take the player, not the title. I pull crappy dps on my 525 rogue (between 110-130k) but I also try to not stand in shit so I'm probably also overly cautious in making sure I don't stand in shit and lose some dps because of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Reyzzz View Post
    150k is more than enough for first 11 bosses in SOO normal.
    Agreed. When you start slipping to 90, 100, 110 you might have a problem. It's more about the mechanics, staying active and not dying.

Unless ur hitting enrages I'd pick "520 Proven Assailant" any day over Jenkins... That tells me the person can do mechanics, avoid shit, interrupt while keeping his dps quite up to par with his gear. Besides, a poor Jenkins in 540 might be pulling as much as someone with 520 that know whats their shit is...

Deleted
    While a Proven Assailant title (earned on char) does show knowledge about the class, I would much rather invite a person with other "high-end" achievements (quite current bosses and such). Then again proving grounds is a way (I guess) that non-raiders can also "brag" about their accomplishment.

Oh and try to remember that completing that title, does in no way make you a better player than the people who haven't (not directed at anyone specifically). Proving grounds and especially endless difficulty is incredibly tedious and boring. Many players just don't bother with it.

EDIT:
    That tells me the person can do mechanics, avoid shit, interrupt while keeping his dps quite up to par with his gear.
    It doesn't. It shows that the person knows how to play his class at the lowest/slowest gear level in the game. That means very little dot snapshotting, close to no haste and no crit. You don't have to react to class abilities very much, as they just don't proc very much. There is no shit to avoid and interrupting is very easy with that long cast time.
    Last edited by mmocea9cec0ead; 2013-10-31 at 03:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by land View Post
    Unless ur hitting enrages I'd pick "520 Proven Assailant" any day over Jenkins... That tells me the person can do mechanics, avoid shit, interrupt while keeping his dps quite up to par with his gear. Besides, a poor Jenkins in 540 might be pulling as much as someone with 520 that know whats their shit is...
    No, it shows either that or they play a mage/hunter/dk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Quote Originally Posted by Orcindauh View Post
    150k dps is enough for all 4 wings of flex. No problem here.
    Meh, I suppose it's enough if you have a few real players carrying you. Personally, I wouldn't even speak to a person with 150k dps, there's plenty of people for them to group with in LFR where they belong.

Is is that easy for those classes? Well, but if you see a boomkin with that title u can be sure he will rape the 540 jenkins ;-) (its very hard for boomies)

Deleted
    Dont know why you dont have warlocks up there aswell, but either way. Doing Proven Assailant is miles beyond the capabilities of the average LFR hero, so regardless of class you would still take it over the jenkins player.

While it is easier on some classes, even doing it on a mage takes more skill than a majority of the wow population possesses.

20 ilvls makes too much of a difference in dps. You don't take a cripple to a track meet simply because he understands the mechanics behind running fast and would make a great runner if he had legs.

That being said, using ilvl as your only criteria is equally as ineffective as looking for a specific achievement. I'd check gems/enchants and then raid experience after ilvl.