Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    You know this reminds me of when MoP was trademarked. Everyone just "knew" that it couldn't possibly be the WoW expansion, that it was a stupid name and that people would revolt over it because blah blah pandas blah blah stupid name (insert extremely bad logic here) and so on; but that turned out totally the opposite of what you expected and predicted.

Now I'm seeing the very same arguments pop up again because this couldn't POSSIBLY be the next WoW expansion because of x number of reasons and whatever. BlizzCon is a week away, Blizzard is going to announce the next expansion there, they just trademarked a new title related to Warcraft so it stands to reason that Warlords of Draenor is the next expansion.

As for Draenor being destroyed, well there are ways they can fix that. Might take some heavy duty magic, but it could happen under the right circumstances.
    “Fairy tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”
    ― G.K. Chesterton

I'm not just a white knight. I'm a freaking Paladin.

Quote Originally Posted by bayushisan View Post
    As for Draenor being destroyed, well there are ways they can fix that. Might take some heavy duty magic, but it could happen under the right circumstances.
    No guarantee we're going to Draenor. Maybe we're fighting folks who were originally from Draenor but who are not there anymore.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

Quote Originally Posted by Genju View Post
    i dont get why people think its an hearthstone expac. Why would a free to play game need an expac? They can just patch it into the normal version.
    It's a card game, it may not need expac packs but releasing a new series of cards is always sure to bring in more money from those who buy decks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeraxis View Post
    It's a card game, it may not need expac packs but releasing a new series of cards is always sure to bring in more money from those who buy decks.
    If they would do this pretty often, why trademark each one, unless it isn't being protected by the original trademark. Also, it isn't even out yet, I would think they would hold off on that for a while. Also (and a big also), unless I'm totally mistaken, isn't Hearthstone completely online. As in, no game discs (and if it were as people suggest, a booster pack or something, why would that need discs of their own)?

People are also completely ignoring that WoW has plenty of apps for a smartphone (mobile AH, and guild chat?), they could also surprise us with a pet battle feature for the phone.

Also, this is the New Zealand trademark. Most likely holding on to the name in reservation, to transfer to the US database after the announcement. The US one will most likely be updated for all the accessories that will accompany the game discs or be sold separately.
    Last edited by Sylreick; 2013-11-04 at 01:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylreick View Post
    If they would do this pretty often, why trademark each one, unless it isn't being protected by the original trademark. Also, it isn't even out yet, I would think they would hold off on that for a while. Also (and a big also), unless I'm totally mistaken, isn't Hearthstone completely online. As in, no game discs (and if it were as people suggest, a booster pack or something, why would that need discs of their own)?

People are also completely ignoring that WoW has plenty of apps for a smartphone (mobile AH, and guild chat?), they could also surprise us with a pet battle feature for the phone.

Also, this is the New Zealand trademark. Most likely holding on to the name in reservation, to transfer to the US database after the announcement. The US one will most likely be updated for all the accessories that will accompany the game discs or be sold separately.
    Listen I'm not stating that it isn't for WoW or that it is, but the Dark Portal TCG series was trademarked before the first series of cards became available. It was also trademarked while the other series, other than Onyxia's Lair, were not. Also just because something may be entirely online doesn't mean you may not want to cover all your bases just in case you package an installer for it on future discs of WoW, Diablo, or SC sold at retail.

Herald of the Titans Chain Chungus's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    Yes ofc announce a Xpac wich isnt even worked on yet makes totally sense for a game that isnt even released....
    Maybe you should read the whole thread before commenting. Just a few posts above yours I posted this:

Quote Originally Posted by Telomerase View Post
    Do people really think they would release a F2P game without a purchasable addition with it right away?

Isn't that the whole point of making something F2P? You let them play the game for free, they get hooked, and then they want to spend money on more of it that wasn't free. Take Firefall for example: you start playing one of the frames for free, see cooler ones being used by people, and immediately want to throw down cash for another one.

So, what would you do?

I would release a game called "Hearthstone: Heroes of Azeroth" and make it free to play. I would also already have developed a booster deck called "Hearthstone: Warlords of Draenor" that is even cooler, with more unique cards, and then charge people for it. I would then continue this pattern for years and years making bank in the process.

A few months later you'll see something along the lines of "Hearthstone: Dreams of Emerald" followed by "Hearthstone: Flames of Xoroth," and so on.

Hearthstone makes ZERO sense. Everyone in Warcraft lore is a "Hero" if Guldan is a "Hero". And the first expansion in Hearthstone will be them adding Monks and DKs which have nothing to do with Draenor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracbane View Post
    Lets look at this logically. Blizzcon is in a week(?) and they will be talking about the new xpac....so they have to have a name for it. People have hawk eyes on the trademark offices and only two things have shown up. The Dark Below and Warlords of Draenor. The Dark Below has fell out of all the trademark databases now. I don't think Blizzard will announce a new xpac and not have a name for it....so you really only have one logical choice atm....
    They can't. If they announced at the Blizzcon event without having done a legal filing, someone else would do it and they'd have to deal with the ensuing litigation. (They'd probably win but they'd still have the hassle.)

That doesn't mean they won't file more trademark(s) and other paperwork on Friday November 8th, before the 12:30PST / 4:30 EST "What's Next for WoW" announcement. Nearly the entire business day will be available via East Coast business hours, in fact. Or even on Thursday since it seems to take a day or two for it to show up in most online searches.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharuko View Post
    Hearthstone makes ZERO sense. Everyone in Warcraft lore is a "Hero" if Guldan is a "Hero". And the first expansion in Hearthstone will be them adding Monks and DKs which have nothing to do with Draenor.
    States Hearthstone makes zero sense then claims that they know what the second series of cards will introduce. Sounds like we should believe this one.

WoW expansions don't usually get their own domains names so it makes it hard to believe it is one.

In a thread about comparing trademark classes, let's think about Hearthstone.

Hearthstone
    IC 009. [...]
    IC 041. US 100 101 107. G & S: Entertainment services, namely, providing on-line computer games; providing on-line non-downloadable computer games that may be accessed via a global computer network; conducting contests online and providing a website for organizing, planning and executing exhibitions and special events between computer game players and interest groups for entertainment purposes; conducting entertainment exhibitions online in the nature of card games for entertainment purposes; conducting card game competitions online for entertainment purposes

States Hearthstone makes zero sense then claims that they know what the second series of cards will introduce. Sounds like we should believe this one.
    A booster pack is not an "expansion". They have officially stated that they will add Monks and DKs to Hearthstone at a later time.

10+ Year Old Account

Tuskarr people for playable!
    YES!

Should be playable!
    I would make one when they are available and so with Ogre.
    For the Horde!

A booster pack is not an "expansion". They have officially stated that they will add Monks and DKs to Hearthstone at a later time.
    A series is not a "booster pack". Also since when did at a later time automatically mean the first expansion?

10+ Year Old Account
    So tell me why they wouldn't release the F2P version of the game with a for-pay upgrade right off the bat?

Did GW2 wait to start charging for upgrades? Did Firefall? And shit, Firefall is still in beta!

Where is the business sense in such an action?

If you watch the dev video about Hearthstone they say right in it they will be selling other booster packs with cards that go beyond what comes with the game for free.

10+ Year Old Account
    Patience, discipline.
    4 days to go!

One thing is certain, there will be an expansion either way.

A series is not a "booster pack". Also since when did at a later time automatically mean the first expansion?
    Hearthstone doesn't make any sense for multiple reasons.

Warlords of Draenor would mean they would add more playable characters to Hearthstone, unless there are duplication of classes or unless they are monks or DKs it would make no sense. They don't need two warriors or two warlocks.

If Gul'dan is a "Hero of Warcraft" I don't see why every other major Warcraft character is also a hero.

Hearthstone is the worst guess of them all. It makes zero sense.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Telomerase View Post
    So tell me why they wouldn't release the F2P version of the game with a for-pay upgrade right off the bat?

Did GW2 wait to start charging for upgrades? Did Firefall? And shit, Firefall is still in beta!

Where is the business sense in such an action?

If you watch the dev video about Hearthstone they say right in it they will be selling other booster packs with cards that go beyond what comes with the game for free.
    The game is free, but you have to buy packs or do arena to get all the packs. You don't need another set to charge for it. They charge you for the set they already have.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hearthstone doesn't make any sense for multiple reasons.

Warlords of Draenor would mean they would add more playable characters to Hearthstone, unless there are duplication of classes or unless they are monks or DKs it would make no sense. They don't need two warriors or two warlocks.

If Gul'dan is a "Hero of Warcraft" I don't see why every other major Warcraft character is also a hero.

Hearthstone is the worst guess of them all. It makes zero sense.
    Have you ever even played a physical CCG/TCG? Because it doesn't sound like you have.

New cards are the name of the game.

The game is free, but you have to buy packs or do arena to get all the packs. You don't need another set to charge for it. They charge you for the set they already have.
    So why can't Blizz decide to trademark and name these packs?

It's not hearthstone.

http://media-hearth.cursecdn.com/att...-trademark.png

Hearthstone trademark has no mention physical disc, where as WoD does have the mention.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerN View Post
    Patience, discipline.
    4 days to go!
    I haven't got all day!

But seriously, BlizzCon is so close, yet so very, very far away...