10+ Year Old Account
    I don't get it. What's diretide? Wasn't it some holiday event thing? Is it a meme now?
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    I don't get it. What's diretide? Wasn't it some holiday event thing? Is it a meme now?
    Pretty much. It was a holiday event that Valve added to Dota 2 last Halloween. People were expecting it to happen again this year, and when it didn't a select few people went insane and started spamming all over the place, including: /r/Dota2, /r/Volvo (yes, the car company), Twitter, various forums, etc.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    Pretty much. It was a holiday event that Valve added to Dota 2 last Halloween. People were expecting it to happen again this year, and when it didn't a select few people went insane and started spamming all over the place, including: /r/Dota2, /r/Volvo (yes, the car company), Twitter, various forums, etc.
    I think people are more annoyed that valve have said nothing about it and the massive lack of new content.

Personally i can't wait for Blizzards version (please god don't be a LoL clone)

10+ Year Old Account
    Can I ask a quick question related to the diretide spam?
    Where did the joke of referring to Valve as Volvo come from? I've seen this happen for ages and I've got no clue as to why people say it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scummer View Post
    Where did the joke of referring to Valve as Volvo come from?
    http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=79225

I don't know how legit this is, but it sounds about right to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    god this matchmaking is awful, ruins the whole game when you get queued up against players which literally have no brain. This game has probably the highest quantity of nabs around. Why can't they simply bring MMR/ELO styled system into the game for public?

They should make it like WoW PvP seasons.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Puffler View Post
    I think people are more annoyed that valve have said nothing about it and the massive lack of new content.

Personally i can't wait for Blizzards version (please god don't be a LoL clone)
    This. Valve is milking Dota, what a waste.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Puffler View Post
    ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give DIRETIDE

But in all seriousness can we get a new hero please ?!?!
    No, we don't need new hero. We need game fine-tuning. The class system is actually unique unlike other competitors game which tend to be more or less the same classes copy/pasta everywhere.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    give diretide
    give no spam
    Last edited by Mister K; 2013-11-05 at 10:16 PM.
    -K

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Suprm View Post
    god this matchmaking is awful, ruins the whole game when you get queued up against players which literally have no brain. This game has probably the highest quantity of nabs around. Why can't they simply bring MMR/ELO styled system into the game for public?

They should make it like WoW PvP seasons.
    But there is an ELO system implemented for public games. So what's your excuse now?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariadne View Post
    But there is an ELO system implemented for public games. So what's your excuse now?
    Excuse? That would imply I am bad at Dota. I pretty much tend to carry most of my games. So it's hidden ELO then right?... Should be visible and seasonal. Every damn match there is someone who barely gets two or three kills and dies three/four times as much.
    Last edited by Mister K; 2013-11-05 at 11:07 PM.
    -K

Deleted
    MM is broken, even Valve said they are not happy with it and that they are thinking about how to improve it. So yeah, no.

Deleted
    Excuse? That would imply I am bad at Dota. I pretty much tend to carry most of my games. So it's hidden ELO then right?... Should be visible and seasonal. Every damn match there is someone who barely gets two or three kills and dies three/four times as much.
    Does it matter if it is visible or not when it comes to who you get matched with? No. I don't know if you're good or not because I've never seen you play but I believe you're bad. I could be wrong of course.

Quote Originally Posted by rizbo View Post
    MM is broken, even Valve said they are not happy with it and that they are thinking about how to improve it. So yeah, no.
    It's still ELO. What do you mean with "So yeah, no"? Did you read my post? And who says they haven't made modifications to the system since their statement about how they were unhappy about it? I'm assuming you are referring Gabe's comment on a YouTube video.

10+ Year Old Account
    Does it matter if it is visible or not when it comes to who you get matched with? No. I don't know if you're good or not because I've never seen you play but I believe you're bad. I could be wrong of course.

It's still ELO. What do you mean with "So yeah, no"? Did you read my post? And who says they haven't made modifications to the system since their statement about how they were unhappy about it? I'm assuming you are referring Gabe's comment on a YouTube video.
    Nope, for now I can assume its pretty much broken, I don't see it, it would be much easier if they made it visible. Do you know the definition of bad? Yep, you're indeed wrong. You got a clan? We can organize a match (inb4 getting carried by clan). Let me know when you free, I get my guys sorted and we can have a match during weekend.

People still complain about the system, dotafire forums, steam forums, pretty much everywhere. Yeah sure, some of the players have terrible w/l and call OP on every damn class, but there are fairly decent players also complaining. The system is bad. Still, anything is better than Shootmanias match-up and ranking system.
    -K

Deleted
    Nope, for now I can assume its pretty much broken, I don't see it, it would be much easier if they made it visible. Do you know the definition of bad? Yep, you're indeed wrong. You got a clan? We can organize a match (inb4 getting carried by clan). Let me know when you free, I get my guys sorted and we can have a match during weekend.

People still complain about the system, dotafire forums, steam forums, pretty much everywhere. Yeah sure, some of the players have terrible w/l and call OP on every damn class, but there are fairly decent players also complaining. The system is bad. Still, anything is better than Shootmanias match-up and ranking system.
    You can assume, sure. But you also assumed there was no ELO system implemented. Your assumptions seem pretty bad.

I know the definition of bad. Why wouldn't I know it? What a random question. I'm a pub hero, I don't scrim. But as you said a normal game doesn't necessarily tell you much about a certain individual on the team.

Do you know how many people complain at mid MMR about how bad their teammates are? I've played on multiple smurf accounts and it's always the same, people at low or mid MMR complain so much when they're dog.

Deleted
    All I know is, I get matched up against players with 1000+ (once I got the guy with 2000+) games played, while I have ~400. They HAVE to be (much) better than me, and that's not fair, therefore it's broken. And yes, it can also be other way around, but it's still broken, because it's not balanced. End of story.

All I know is, I get matched up against players with 1000+ (once I got the guy with 2000+) games played, while I have ~400. They HAVE to be (much) better than me, and that's not fair, therefore it's broken. And yes, it can also be other way around, but it's still broken, because it's not balanced. End of story.
    I got around 400 wins and played/plays in a organized team going to tournaments and shit as the main carry. I did play HoN and Dota 1 beforehand so I knew the game in and out already.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zogarth View Post
    I got around 400 wins and played/plays in a organized team going to tournaments and shit as the main carry. I did play HoN and Dota 1 beforehand so I knew the game in and out already.
    Yeah well, I didn't, I started with LoL where I played like 30 matches. So, is that MM fair to me? Nope.

Edit: To clarify, I didn't mean it should be based SOLELY on number of games played, but even that would be more fair than this system, aparently.

Number of games played is almost irrelevant after a certain number, as the game calculates your match making rating based on your losing/winning against people of higher/lower rating than you. I played like 600+ matches, but I ve played the game since 2006 and I'm certain my skill is now plateau-ed around lower end of VH bracket (mostly since I cant find the passion to spend as much time and effort to spend into it like in the past), I wont get much better even if play count reaches 1000.
    Last edited by kronpas; 2013-11-06 at 01:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kronpas View Post
    Number of games played is almost irrelevant after a certain number, as the game calculates your match making rating based on your losing/winning against people of higher/lower rating than you.
    I'm just going to quote this and say kronpas is right. Number of games played is pretty close to irrelevant. I've got about 200 games played, but I'm more than comfortable playing against folks with 1000+ because I played HoN and DotA before Dota 2.

The MMR system works based on your skill, not the number of games you've played. If you've got anywhere close to a 50% winrate (+- 10%) after a few dozen matches then the MMR system is working.

I also want to remind folks that coming here to vent is forbidden by the Dota 2 forum rules and may be infracted in the future.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2013-11-06 at 01:23 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    I'm just going to quote this and say kronpas is right. Number of games played is pretty close to irrelevant. I've got about 200 games played, but I'm more than comfortable playing against folks with 1000+ because I played HoN and DotA before Dota 2.

The MMR system works based on your skill, not the number of games you've played. If you've got anywhere close to a 50% winrate (+- 10%) after a few dozen matches then the MMR system is working.

I also want to remind folks that coming here to vent is forbidden by the Dota 2 forum rules and may be infracted in the future.
    Shame that when the MM system works its a pile a turds

Deleted
    All I know is, I get matched up against players with 1000+ (once I got the guy with 2000+) games played, while I have ~400. They HAVE to be (much) better than me
    Games played is pretty much no indication of skill past ~100-200 games played, not counting smurfs or people with WC3 experience.

Nope, for now I can assume its pretty much broken, I don't see it, it would be much easier if they made it visible.
    How would that help.
    If the system is broken, wouldn't you also assume that the ELO given to players is inaccurate?

Excuse? That would imply I am bad at Dota. I pretty much tend to carry most of my games.
    The only good non-humble player I know of is Ixmike.
    Last edited by mmoc24ed1da916; 2013-11-06 at 02:09 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zefie View Post
    The only good non-humble player I know of is Ixmike.
    He seems like a nice guy, would suck if he is a dick about being a pro.

On a side note i don't know why dota pros think they are the best shit ever, theres hardly any top top players, the rest you could replace with random pub heroes given some time to practice with the team.