Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Why does everyone keep complaining about horde expansions?

Do you remember Wrath of the Lich King? Arthas? You know... A character that was alliance and then became the final boss of an expansion after being corrupted. Sounds familiar right? So shut up about this expansion being about horde. Are you kidding me? Cata was about deathwing.... not horde or alliance and bc was about the burning legion. So right now its 1-1.

Arthas is from Lordaeron which hasn't been part of the Alliance since Warcraft III (because everyone in it died and those that members of it that are still around are now in... the Horde)

Garrosh is still sitting in the throne room of Orgrimmar even now, let alone having been removed from his faction before the game began

Deleted
    Arthas and Illidan are not fair comparisons here. Both have long since detached from their factions (and fun fact: Illidan was never Alliance to begin with.) and are no longer associated with either one more than the other. Arthas for example perhaps most strongly resonated with the Forsaken - you know, a Horde race. I would say that TBC and WOTLK where about balanced, with a slight Horde bias in the former and a slight Alliance bias in the latter. And I have no problem with that. Things can't be perfectly balanced, it's fine to give each faction a day in the limelight...

But Cata and MOP were shamefully, shamefully Horde-centric. This of course stemmed from the fact that Blizzard was redoing the leveling zones and the Horde needed more zones to be equal to the Alliance. But Blizzard did this through Horde victory after Horde victory, rather than making things a little bit more balanced. When you add on Green Jesus everywhere, and the complete lack of Worgen integration into the story vs. Goblins everywhere - you got an incredibly Horde centric story.

And then comes MOP, and here I'm willing to cut Blizzard a bit of slack because I think this was a genuine attempt to make up for Cata and give the Alliance their time to shine. I mean on paper letting the Alliance storm into Orgrimmar and take out the Horde leader sounds great: But it failed. The Alliance "fist pump moments" were degraded and watered down so as not to upset the Horde. The aforementioned storming into Orgrimmar devolved into helping the Horde rebels reclaim their capital and afterwards Varian made no demands whatsoever. If he'd at least shown a bit more clout in the ending cinematic that would have been ok. Horde victories (e.g Theramore) were shown in game whereas Alliance ones (e.g Dalaran) were not. And of course the story itself was so Horde focused. Compare Garrosh to Arthas all you like, it's not a valid comparison: Garrosh is 100% Horde, the same faction as the Horde players pretty much up to 5.3. For the Horde, Garrosh is an intensely personal villain. For the Alliance it's not really personal. There were attempts to make it so like Theramore, but seeing as he was at the time part of the main Horde it seemed so weak to pin everything on Garrosh.

So yeah, Cata and MOP were incredibly Horde biased. I sincerely hope WoD is not the same.

And garrosh wasnt a part of the horde when we defeated him so i guess it wasnt a horde final boss.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Because Garrosh and Thrall, Garrosh, and possibly Garrosh and Grom.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Alliance players seem to whine no matter what. The factions seem equally favored in the lore to me, though the same cannot be said for races.

As far as I see the expansions:

TBC = Horde
    WotLK = Alliance
    Cata = Horde
    MoP = Alliance

Alliance players have nothing to complain in MoP, they got to freaking raid the capital city of the Horde. I would've LOVED to raid Stormwind so bad, but I didn't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by tauntor View Post
    Are you kidding me? Cata was about deathwing.... not horde or alliance and bc was about the burning legion. So right now its 1-1.
    I take it you never played the new 1-60 content? Cataclysm was about the Alliance getting seven kinds of crap kicked out of them.

Alliance players have nothing to complain in MoP, they got to freaking raid the capital city of the Horde. I would've LOVED to raid Stormwind so bad, but I didn't get it.
    Correction: we got the help the Horde take their city back. If Alliance had actually got something out of the raid you'd have a point, but we just hand it over and walk away.

Herald of the Titans Babylonius's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Because people play Alliance and want equality among the factions. Didn't think this was some kind of mystery
    Creator of WalkingTheWind.com and PeakOfSerenity.com
    Former Monk Mod of MMOChampion | Admin/Moderator of Monk Discord
    Armory | Logs | Guild | Twitch

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post

TBC = Horde
    WotLK = Alliance
    Cata = Horde
    MoP = Alliance
    A different opinion, we are talking about who has more / more developed stories and heroes:

Vanilla = Alliance
    TBC = Horde
    WotLK = Balanced
    Cata = Horde
    MoP = Horde

In terms of starting zones for leveling, etc, this was different, yes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Babylonius View Post
    Because people play Alliance and want equality among the factions. Didn't think this was some kind of mystery
    The reality is really the Alliance want the Horde to be relegated to sitting in the corner with ball gags on as payment for Thrall in Cataclysm.

Fact is the Horde pretty much got beaten all over the map in MOP and then was forced to help the Alliance invade our own city and kill lots of named NPCs to win the war while being allowed to live and threatened by the mighty chin. Charming.

Every expansion except Cataclysm has been alliance centric with all these Alliance NPCs bossing us about, Thrall does the same in Cata and the backlash is so immense its STILL ongoing. What more does the alliance want?

Deleted

TBC = Horde
    WotLK = Alliance
    Cata = Horde
    MoP = Alliance

Would you have loved to help the Alliance free Stormwind from a crazy Jaina and then, despite having the Alliance in the palm of your hand, walk away without demanding so much as a bit of returned territory, instead making threats that you know can never be fulfilled in game? Because that's what Alliance got in SoO.

Quote Originally Posted by Briga View Post
    The reality is really the Alliance want the Horde to be relegated to sitting in the corner with ball gags on as payment for Thrall in Cataclysm.

Fact is the Horde pretty much got beaten all over the map in MOP and then was forced to help the Alliance invade our own city and kill lots of named NPCs to win the war while being allowed to live and threatened by the mighty chin. Charming.

Every expansion except Cataclysm has been alliance centric with all these Alliance NPCs bossing us about, Thrall does the same in Cata and the backlash is so immense its STILL ongoing. What more does the alliance want?
    you obviously havent played both factions leveling up in MoP. One of the biggest things i can see from a development standpoint is that blizzard took the time to lay out a horde base in Jade Forest and all the alliance got was a few tents in a mogu fortress. Its the same all over wow, more time and effort is spend on horde cities, bases, etc and the alliance usually just get some half constructed buildings and some tents

Quote Originally Posted by 7seti View Post
    Correction: we got the help the Horde take their city back. If Alliance had actually got something out of the raid you'd have a point, but we just hand it over and walk away.
    They actually get something out of it, and thats making the Horde significally weaker than they were. If the rebellion failed and Garrosh was still standing, he would've absorbed the hearth and whiped out the Alliance aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by tauntor View Post
    Do you remember Wrath of the Lich King? Arthas? You know... A character that was alliance and then became the final boss of an expansion after being corrupted. Sounds familiar right? So shut up about this expansion being about horde. Are you kidding me? Cata was about deathwing.... not horde or alliance and bc was about the burning legion. So right now its 1-1.
    You are completely clueless, aren't you?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by eodusaf View Post
    you obviously havent played both factions leveling up in MoP. One of the biggest things i can see from a development standpoint is that blizzard took the time to lay out a horde base in Jade Forest and all the alliance got was a few tents in a mogu fortress. Its the same all over wow, more time and effort is spend on horde cities, bases, etc and the alliance usually just get some half constructed buildings and some tents
    The alliance had a full fledged base in jade forest and successfully blew our airship out of the sky like it was nothing. Mirrored content my friend, it was the same, who constructed the architecture makes no difference as both sides had a base present we assaulted.

They actually get something out of it, and thats making the Horde significally weaker than they were. If the rebellion failed and Garrosh was still standing, he would've absorbed the hearth and whiped out the Alliance aswell.
    Several things wrong with this:

a.) The Alliance didn't make the Horde weaker. We helped kill Garrosh. Garrosh's Horde =/= THE Horde.
    b.) This argument about the Alliance being wiped out by Garrosh is such a joke that I still can't believe people make it. Especially after Blizzard went out of their way to be like "Yeah, you're more unified than ever, be happy about that!"

Deleted
    Rofl only lore noob can say that any expansion was faction oriented. Horde and Alliance getting same amount of love so pls stfu. I just getting mad how noobs what never played opposite faction or even tryed understand lore keep complaining about horde expansions. Garosh isnt part or leader of the Horde he got his own Faction in MOP. So pls try first undestand lore befor you start complain.

The reason why a lot of alliance players I know get annoyed is because during "Alliance expansions" the horde usually get a fairly decent storyline of their own and even though the expansion turns out to be an alliance expansion the horde still have a decent all-round experience.

the same cannot be said when it is a horde expansion. Cata could have been great if Malfurion had come back and sided with the alliance and went crazy seeing the devestation in ashenvale by the horde and amount of his people who have been killed by the horde during his absence. BUT instead hes neutral..... then it was dragon soul and the whole thrall event before it. Mists started with the allaince losing theramore ... since then our main questline has been to

a) make friends with pandas and fish people
    b) Aid lady Proudmore in her quests and bring thr kirin tor back to the alliance
    c) chase after garrosh and attempt to stop him ( divine bell, dalaran, hell even SOO)

It just does not feel good when the storylines are so heavily focused on one faction.

10+ Year Old Account
    Always played Alliance, couldn't care less about these apparent "Horde expansions".