Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

What people don't seem to understand about the time travel in this exp.

So I read several posts and the thing i noticed is, most don't understand that there will be no paradox.
    This is not intended as a vehicle to change the past.

The danger for the present timeline is in the form of the Orcs coming through the portal in mass.
    Everything we do in Dreanor we do to prevent them from going through the portal to the Present time, we are not preventing them from going through the portal the first time.

This is a clever way to prevent the usual and much dreaded time travel reset button.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, we are going to an alternate universe/timeline... changing shit there won't affect our universe/timeline at all probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Skorpionss View Post
    Yeah, we are going to an alternate universe/timeline... changing shit there won't affect our universe/timeline at all probably.
    Well, apart from Velen meeting his past self. It will be interesting to see how they don't make it affect our past.
    For the Alliance, and for Azeroth!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gcsmith View Post
    Well, apart from Velen meeting his past self. It will be interesting to see how they don't make it affect our past.
    It isn't his past self... it's his alternate reality self... think of it along the lines of Injustice: Gods Among us...

This is how I understood it:

Deleted
    Almost Maythael, what i understand from your image is that the invasion takes place instead of the dark portal event of our timeline. This is not the case.
    The dark portal event of our timeline has happend, if we don't stop the iron horde they will come through the dark portal in our timeline (see it as a second invasion, 30 years later).

Deleted
    thats exactly what he drew, the only thing unclear to me being wether the iron horde invades our timeline, when their timeline is during the first invasion, or 30 years later, when both timelines have progressed the same amount again

Quote Originally Posted by runey View Post
    thats exactly what he drew, the only thing unclear to me being wether the iron horde invades our timeline, when their timeline is during the first invasion, or 30 years later, when both timelines have progressed the same amount again
    The issue & the reason we're stopping this Iron Horde is this: With the help of Garrosh's Timeless Isle buddy. HE is able to come back to OUR timeline, with warriors from our past - but prior to corruption.

-Grim

I don't understand why Blizzard is going so unclear about it. They really don't need to do more than say "It is an alternate timeline"

Boom, fixed.

I don't really care whether its technically in the past or in an alternate timeline or whatever

Its still using time travel to bring back a bunch of Horde characters I didn't like in the first place

10+ Year Old Account
    I made this thread to talk about it in more detail. Come join us and maybe we can come to an agreement :P

Quote Originally Posted by Tebs View Post
    Almost Maythael, what i understand from your image is that the invasion takes place instead of the dark portal event of our timeline. This is not the case.
    The dark portal event of our timeline has happend, if we don't stop the iron horde they will come through the dark portal in our timeline (see it as a second invasion, 30 years later).
    huh?

"Tries to invade current time" :P
    That was the whole point of my pic :P

He goes "back" and comes back from kinda the same point in current time. Or, tries to go back to our timeline again that is.

The Dark Portal 'waypoint' in my pic was merely there for reference.

So I read several posts and the thing i noticed is, most don't understand that there will be no paradox.

The danger for the present timeline is in the form of the Orcs coming through the portal in mass.
    Everything we do in Dreanor we do to prevent them from going through the portal to the Present time, we are not preventing them from going through the portal the first time.

This is a clever way to prevent the usual and much dreaded time travel reset button.
    If only there was some sort of bottle neck somewhere that we could hold them off at, or even close completely.

Oh, there is? We've closed it before too? Huh...

I'm sure they'll explain that a bit better later though.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caerule View Post
    I don't understand why Blizzard is going so unclear about it. They really don't need to do more than say "It is an alternate timeline"

Boom, fixed.
    I think its because its not really an alternate time line. It is more like "Past Draenor" was cut from the past and pasted into our current reality. It won't impact the past because its not really the past and it isn't an alternate time line because it has been merged into ours. At least thats how what I got from watching the live stream and Metzen try to explain it.

Or another reason why they don't want to flat out state it is because it is part of the story and would be a spoiler.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

I heard the community wanted a Burning Legion, or a South Sea/ Emerald Dream.

I heard you wanted playable Ogre's, High Elves, etc.

I heard you wanted tinker, demon hunter etc.

So we gave you a time travel expansion about orcs.

No paradox is a given, personally I just don't like that this entire concept will now become officially realistic in Wow universe. I mean, we go to Draenor and defeat this Iron Horde, but what's stopping Garrosh from going back into a different universe and doing exactly the same thing? Dead should just stay dead, unless they are undead.

Deleted
    but don´t we prevent them from going through the portal for the 1st time by trying to prevent them to come to the present?
    won´t the present orc martys not vanish?

10+ Year Old Account

So, if altering the timeline only makes an alternate timeline and doesn't effect the future we are currently in

Why the fuck did we give a shit about what the Infinite Dragonflight was doing?

We're almost getting to biblical level contradictions in this lore.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

Deleted
    Hmm, lets see..Garrosh is going back in time..to force Orcs clans to get together..that never did in the real past..He is also appearantly makign his dad Grom, no to connect with the Legion,which means that he will never be killed by Mannoroth and be seen as a Hero = Garrosh never make it´s a Warchief..since the Hellscream name was the reason, he become one..to see if he was like his father..also measn that the Frostwolf clan never makes them green either.. = Thrall = Brown..and easily more..so i have no idea what they ar talking about..with no Paradox..Would have been better Time-Travel..with no Garrosh..he is over..and so glad they said they would Redeem him atleast..

Quote Originally Posted by Grim32 View Post
    The issue & the reason we're stopping this Iron Horde is this: With the help of Garrosh's Timeless Isle buddy. HE is able to come back to OUR timeline, with warriors from our past - but prior to corruption.

-Grim
    No. Not our past. Garrosh has already prevented the majority of the Orcs from drinking the blood (at least, that's when most of our game play occurs). They were offered the blood, and Garrosh had already convinced the non-blooded Orc warlords that turning green wasn't necessary in order to obliterate their rivals.

The Orcs we're up against are already from a divergent time line. They stopped being out timeline when Garrosh arrived - whatever the Bronze dragon did to send Garrosh back, he managed to create an alternate timeline that doesn't destroy Azeroth when things begin to change. Perhaps that's what he was attempting to do, to make it so that changes to the timelines would create stable alternate realities rather than destroying Azeroth unless we went back to fix things by making sure ... nothing changed (which is interesting enough for a 5 man or a single raid, but not so interesting for an entire expansion).
    "Bananas, like people, sometimes look different when they are naked." Grace Helbig