Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Thoughts on Garrisons (constructive)

I like the idea of garrisons. I'm not sure what the general response has been, but I've had a few thoughts I wanted to put out there.

From the sound of it Garrisons are meant to be a feature where you can't get every building and npc and whatever other features all on one character. Which to me sounds like choices. Choices are pretty meaningless if you can choose all options. This was one of the big appeals of professions when I first began playing way back in vanilla. In fact, back then when it was really hard to level alts, and farm up everything to do all the various professions, there was alot of community built on trading and sharing of skills. In the last few years, it seems everyone has developed a small army of alts so each of us can have all the professions. It seems appealing to have all the professions, but I've decided it actually makes the game less fun not finding friends, guildies, or even strangers (afterall, can't make friends if you aren't meeting strangers). How does this relate to garrisons?

Well, I think Garrisons should be account/faction/server shared. As in, all my alliance characters on server A would share a single garrison, all my horde characters on server A would have a different one. Horde characters on server B would have a different one from horde server A. That way the decisions and choices you make in building your garrison have more meaning and weight. This would mean you wouldn't be able to have every little addon/npc or whatever on your main server/faction. It sounds like it would suck, but Isn't part of the appeal of player housing (which is what this is really) to be able to show it off? Who is going to want to come visit your garrison just for kicks? People will see your awesome place more if you have something half the server lacks, and you'll see other people's garrisons when you visit to take advantage of a feature they have that you chose against.

That's just my feelings on the garrisons. How about everyone else?

---Adding ideas that other people have come up with in the thread in this post. (and a few more of my own)---

-Having same factions alts hang out in the garrison as followers/minions. (Could even choose a character to "own" the garrison maybe?) Either way, having bank alts hanging out at shops and taverns would be pretty cool.

-Choosing garrison architecture. As mentioned, being able to choose orc vs forsaken, or dwarf vs night elf style for your garrison would be really cool, and a great way to personalize the garrison even more.

-Armor/weapon display racks to show off your favorite antique gear!

-Defend the garrison events? defend against random npc attacks.

-A new place to hang the heads of fallen raid bosses. (Yes, I do want Onyxia's head on a massive pike in my garrison!, and one day Garrosh's as well)

-Class based/flavored buildings. (mage tower, rogue den, hunter's menagerie, warlock summoning room, priest chapel, deathknight runeforge, warrior armory, druidic grove, shaman shrine, monk meditation room, paladin place-thingy)

-Flags/banners to customize. Mix or something similar to guild crests/tabbards/diablo 3 banner-flags.

-pvp suggested (personally I'm not a fan of this, and I also think it'd be ver difficult to pull off on a technical level given the personal phasing setup blizz has going)

-If it does get a defend type thing going on, there should be separate building slots for towers or other defensive structures that don't compete with the core buildings.

-
    Last edited by sickleblade; 2013-11-13 at 08:59 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, I just feel like it's a feature that most of the playerbase will forget about after 1-2 patches. I hope I'm wrong.

Edit- I'm not going to lie; after reading this thread, I'm now interested in it.
    Last edited by Lime; 2013-11-13 at 04:12 AM.

Deleted
    Okay, my take on garrisons.

Garrisons is the WoW version of housing. Let's talk about housing then. In SWTOR you get your house when you hit lvl 16. Your house, or better your ship functions as a travel system, your have access to your companions, get missions, storage, story, what have you. No matter what patch hits the game, your house / ship is always there.

In DCUO you got your homebase, where you can put stuff like furniture, main frame computer for buffs, companion (minions to be exact) etc. You can duel there, too and by doing so you can trash the whole place. Point here is permanent buffs. No matter what raid hits the game, you can always get the extra buff from your hometurf.

In WildStar, which is probably the IP that got Blizz the idea of housing in the first place, you can buy a house, upgrade it, get a garden, mining, working bench, furniture, portals to raids, probably buffs and whatnot. Here, once can clearly see its usage.

In WoW WoD you get your MoP farm on steroids. You get pet battle, mining, professions stuff, companion to do quests for or with you, to get you gear. However, garrisons lack what the above mentioned examples all have in common: they lack a constant. Housing is a constant feature and by this you can constantly upgrade it, support it, as a dev team.

In WoW we will have it, or use it only temporarly. Only in WoD. After that, in Xpac 7 we dont use it anymore because rare crafting ressources will be new, missions will be new and everything your companions can do will be suited for lvl 100 content. Everything above is useless, not doable for your house. So it is basically pointless.

I was excited in the first place, then I saw Wildstar, my jaw somewhat dropped and then I realized the lack of constant. So yeah, another temporar gimmick, nice to have, probably not necessary though. Kind of sad because think of EverQuest Next and the things you can do there. That is awesome stuff. Garrison on the long run, not so much. But that is Blizzard, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Chisa View Post
    In WoW WoD you get your MoP farm on steroids. You get pet battle, mining, professions stuff, companion to do quests for or with you, to get you gear. However, garrisons lack what the above mentioned examples all have in common: they lack a constant. Housing is a constant feature and by this you can constantly upgrade it, support it, as a dev team.

In WoW we will have it, or use it only temporarly. Only in WoD. After that, in Xpac 7 we dont use it anymore because rare crafting ressources will be new, missions will be new and everything your companions can do will be suited for lvl 100 content. Everything above is useless, not doable for your house. So it is basically pointless.

I was excited in the first place, then I saw Wildstar, my jaw somewhat dropped and then I realized the lack of constant. So yeah, another temporar gimmick, nice to have, probably not necessary though. Kind of sad because think of EverQuest Next and the things you can do there. That is awesome stuff. Garrison on the long run, not so much. But that is Blizzard, unfortunately.
    This is where you start making assumptions. If this is really meant to be WoWs version of housing, it will have to incorporate that very element.

Given the amount of work that is apparently being invested in this, i don't think it's meant to be a one-off to be replaced next expansion.

The farm was made using existing technologies applied in sometimes unusual ways. The Garrison on the other hand has stuff implemented specifically to make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    This is where you start making assumptions. If this is really meant to be WoWs version of housing, it will have to incorporate that very element.

Given the amount of work that is apparently being invested in this, i don't think it's meant to be a one-off to be replaced next expansion.

The farm was made using existing technologies applied in sometimes unusual ways. The Garrison on the other hand has stuff implemented specifically to make it work.
    Blizzard stated at Blizzcon that Garrison and Farm are expansion-specific content, that will be replaced with new content after the expansion ends. We could get a second, new Garrison wherever we go next, but blues said we won't be taking our WoD Garrison with us into 7.0

I only hope that they add interiors to the buildings and be able to decorate them. The amount of time sink will be is phenomenal, and most people don't realize it.
    It was the same way when they add trasmogrify and people said "meh who cares" and we ended up with tons of runs and endless sets for a lot of people.
    Finally i hope they will have some way to pass the garrison along to other expansions or at least give you a fast way to go to your garrison and bring other people with you(a portal or something)

It does feel like the pet battle feature of WoD. Adding any more to it would be mostly wasted dev time. The main point of a player house should be to visually display your achievements. All the followers and quests they can do will become pointless as gear and rewards advance with future patches.

Quote Originally Posted by Lime View Post
    Honestly, I just feel like it's a feature that most of the playerbase will forget about after 1-2 patches. I hope I'm wrong.
    like the farm?

the farm is super popular and this is basically the farm with like a bajillion more stuff.

my garrison is gonna be full of npc races. no playable races will be allowed on my garrison.

my garrison will be run by a committee of murlocs, sporelings, arrakoa, and ogres.

all shall bow before my fortress of the minor ones
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

I actually hope they're character-based (I think they said they would be). It'd be great to have slightly different garrisons for each of my alts.

I mean it'd be REALLY awesome if you could choose say, Forsaken style architecture for your Forsaken and Dwarf style for your Dwarves but of course that'd be a hell of a lot of art to make so maybe not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by elfguy View Post
    It does feel like the pet battle feature of WoD. Adding any more to it would be mostly wasted dev time. The main point of a player house should be to visually display your achievements. All the followers and quests they can do will become pointless as gear and rewards advance with future patches.
    you do know they can do way more than just get gear right? gonna be gone a few days and need someone to keep doing the farm? put a follower on it. want some crafting materials? have a follower go out and kill stuff and collect, they can do all kinds of stuff.

sure its at a slower pace then if you did it yourself but its awesome
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    like the farm?

the farm is super popular and this is basically the farm with like a bajillion more stuff.

my garrison is gonna be full of npc races. no playable races will be allowed on my garrison.

my garrison will be run by a committee of murlocs, sporelings, arrakoa, and ogres.

all shall bow before my fortress of the minor ones
    My Garrison is my own Fortress. Draenor is our oyster to do with as we will. We take what we want, we kill who we want, this world is our's for the taking! And not even Velen and the Alliance will stop us.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Cygerstorm View Post
    Blizzard stated at Blizzcon that Garrison and Farm are expansion-specific content, that will be replaced with new content after the expansion ends. We could get a second, new Garrison wherever we go next, but blues said we won't be taking our WoD Garrison with us into 7.0

If they do not let us move them into 7.0. I will be rely unhappy with that choice. I want to keep using and upgrading them going into the next X-pack.

15+ Year Old Account
    It would be interesting if they take the concept to a "House", where your characters all belong to a clan, the NPC's earn faction with you, and you can erect new garrisons, manors, what have you, in future xpacs, taking the NPC's along, or leaving them where they are for your alts.

Perhaps they have said that the garrisons are singular to WoD, but if they catch on and are popular, I am sure they will return in the future in some form.

Quote Originally Posted by sickleblade View Post
    I like the idea of garrisons. I'm not sure what the general response has been, but I've had a few thoughts I wanted to put out there.

From the sound of it Garrisons are meant to be a feature where you can't get every building and npc and whatever other features all on one character. Which to me sounds like choices. Choices are pretty meaningless if you can choose all options. -snip-
    What makes you think you will be able build every building in your Garrison?

First off... layout:

From what we currently see here, (subject to change) there are 11 plots total for you to fill it seems from this. One of them will automatically be your Inn/Town hall, so that's 10 left to fill.

Now, lets count the professions:

Alchemy
    Jewelcrafting
    Leatherworking
    Blacksmithing
    Engineering
    Tailoring
    Mining
    Herbalism
    Leatherworking
    Fishing
    Archaeology
    Cooking
    First aid

That's 15 (FIFTEEN) professions!
    Now, we can subtract one of them because I believe they stated that the Inn will house the Chef for Cooking...and I'd be REALLY surprised if there's a first aid one...
    This leaves us with 14, possibly 13 if First Aid isn't addressed.

Now, are you ready for this?

On top of this, there are additional types of buildings OUTSIDE of professions that you can build. Two of them we've been told about is the Barracks that let you house more followers, or the infermary which speeds up your recovery rate of followers (Could also be the first aid building!). They also have listed there a Storehouse, Salvage yard and a Dance Studio (These are VERY unconfirmed and are most likely placeholders... but still, there will be more than one kind of building)

So... there ya go. So far it seems like you cannot get all the buildings in your garrison. One person might have their garrison focus soley on Follower aquisition, housing and ability to allow them to send them out on more missions to get themselves more gear. Another person (such as myself) might focus on professions as they're 150% casual (My first one is the fishing pond... HANDS DOWN!!!!! ^_^)

I would just like to know how Blizz plan to keep the feature relevant in future expansions.

my thoughts? best thing in WoD is garrisons

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    What makes you think you will be able build every building in your Garrison?

First off... layout:

From what we currently see here, (subject to change) there are 11 plots total for you to fill it seems from this. One of them will automatically be your Inn/Town hall, so that's 10 left to fill.

Now, lets count the professions:

Alchemy
    Jewelcrafting
    Leatherworking
    Blacksmithing
    Engineering
    Tailoring
    Mining
    Herbalism
    Leatherworking
    Fishing
    Archaeology
    Cooking
    First aid

That's 15 (FIFTEEN) professions!
    Now, we can subtract one of them because I believe they stated that the Inn will house the Chef for Cooking...and I'd be REALLY surprised if there's a first aid one...
    This leaves us with 14, possibly 13 if First Aid isn't addressed.

Now, are you ready for this?

On top of this, there are additional types of buildings OUTSIDE of professions that you can build. Two of them we've been told about is the Barracks that let you house more followers, or the infermary which speeds up your recovery rate of followers (Could also be the first aid building!). They also have listed there a Storehouse, Salvage yard and a Dance Studio (These are VERY unconfirmed and are most likely placeholders... but still, there will be more than one kind of building)

So... there ya go. So far it seems like you cannot get all the buildings in your garrison. One person might have their garrison focus soley on Follower aquisition, housing and ability to allow them to send them out on more missions to get themselves more gear. Another person (such as myself) might focus on professions as they're 150% casual (My first one is the fishing pond... HANDS DOWN!!!!! ^_^)
    There's an infirmary for a large building. I'd guess that'll have first aid in it in addition to its other effects.

The storehouse looks interesting to me, maybe it's expanded banking there?
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

hopefully this paves the way for guild garrisons, something like defending your guild garrison against random attacks would be cool

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    There's an infirmary for a large building. I'd guess that'll have first aid in it in addition to its other effects.

The storehouse looks interesting to me, maybe it's expanded banking there?
    Yeah, I mentioned the infirmary up there possibly being first aid. :P

I'm thinking that the Storehouse will most likely be extended banking for sure. Either that, or a place that holds unlimited stacks of craftables and/or materials? /shrug

EDIT: By the way... your sig is actually rather fitting. Because I think that's the idea... you can create a Garrison that's all about gearing up/obtaining weapons for your character and giving you potential on-field advantages with the +3 grown buildings.
    Last edited by mvaliz; 2013-11-13 at 01:59 AM.

Farm 2.0 that's not a farm. Yea I like it. It's not mandatory so I don't know what problem there would be.