Deleted

HP+ dmg scaling in WoD

I have not played MoP, but I plan to come back for WoD. I have seen the insane amounts of HP players have now, and the high numbers of damage that comes with new gear and being lvl 90. Will this continue to rise in WoD, or will there be some sort of downscaling/leveling out?

Deleted
    Wow...! Thank you! I feel really bright now, as I have watched about 3 1/2 hours of Blizzards panels on Blizzcon, but not picked this up.

Yeah was playing the demo, warlock in full SoO raid finder gear with 33k health and doing 12k chaos bolts.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    This is stupid. I really don't understand the problem. Just keep scaling up raid bosses HP accordingly. I really don't want to feel less powerful at lvl 100 in full Mystic raid gear than I did in greens at lvl 90.

Quote Originally Posted by Lamoot View Post
    This is stupid. I really don't understand the problem. Just keep scaling up raid bosses HP accordingly. I really don't want to feel less powerful at lvl 100 in full Mystic raid gear than I did in greens at lvl 90.
    If you don't understand the topic then educate yourself, it's been posted all over these forums. They can't keep scaling up raid bosses HP, Garrosh had to heal himself to surpass the HP limit.
    I am not Voting Trump because I support him, its about keeping a Career Criminal out of office that mishandles classified information.
    Beta males can cry on how I will not vote for their brood mother.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    Have you even considered the perspective of the 'violent' muslims?

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Melkandor View Post
    If you don't understand the topic then educate yourself, it's been posted all over these forums. They can't keep scaling up raid bosses HP, Garrosh had to heal himself to surpass the HP limit.
    What is there to educate myself on? If there's an HP limit, remove, or extend it. They can, I mean, they do have the power to.

What is there to educate myself on? If there's an HP limit, remove, or extend it. They can, I mean, they do have the power to.
    You can educate yourself on the topic you are trying to discuss. There are technical limitations, they would break the game if they tried to just go past it. It would cost them hundreds of thousands of dollars for them to extend the HP limit. It's much cheaper and better for the game in the long run that they do this.
    I am not Voting Trump because I support him, its about keeping a Career Criminal out of office that mishandles classified information.
    Beta males can cry on how I will not vote for their brood mother.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    Have you even considered the perspective of the 'violent' muslims?

Its not as simple as "removing" a limit. It's not something they coded to have a limit. They're litereally reaching the biggest number that can possibly be used to store an integer. I don't recall exactly which one it is, but my guess would be the 32-bit addressing. so 2^32. or 4,294,967,296
    To fix it, They would have to code from scratch using 64 bit addresses. It would also effectively make the game unplayable on a substantially large percentage of machine's that currently play it.

Those HP bars are going to look very cluttered.

Here's the real question: do you care if your fireball does 33,527 damage or 33,528 damage? Or do you just say "my fireball does 33k damage"? Because if so what's the point in them wasting enormous amounts of computer power storing all those superfluous extra digits?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Eh, i'm not good with coding. I just figured it to be trivial to increase the HP of a boss. I guess not. But either way, if it cost them hundreds of thousands of dollars to fix it, they'd make that back in the first 3 hours after the expansion is released. So i doubt it's a funding problem.

Eh, i'm not good with coding. I just figured it to be trivial to increase the HP of a boss. I guess not. But either way, if it cost them hundreds of thousands of dollars to fix it, they'd make that back in the first 3 hours after the expansion is released. So i doubt it's a funding problem.
    Its not about money directly, but time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thing is, it would take time, and quite a lot of it. Though they will probably be working on this over time, but in the mean time they scale numbers down and can push out quite a few more expansions before we start hitting these numbers again. By that time, they can have the coding updated and people will probably have moved on to the 64-bit PCs.
    "Believing something is not an accomplishment. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because “strength of belief” is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. Listen to any “die-hard” conservative or liberal talk about their deepest beliefs and you are listening to somebody who will never hear what you say on any matter that matters to them — unless you believe the same. Wherever there is a belief, there is a closed door."

In this kind of industry, putting a few hundred programmers on that task, is worth a lot of money.
    So what they're doing, is flattening the curve out a bit, and basically dropping us back to where we were in terms of numbers back in WOTLK. Basically 2 expansions worth of fix (enough time for them to either fix it again, or prepare for a second squish)
    The only downside to this appears to be the extreme lack of power gain in the low levels, You'll likely see toons 20-30 levels apart doing comparable dmg until they hit 60ish.

So i doubt it's a funding problem.
    Well it is and another problem is that people politely phrased can't handle big numbers at all.

It would also effectively make the game unplayable on a substantially large percentage of machine's that currently play it.
    Last edited by amiotcqss; 2013-11-15 at 06:43 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestar View Post
    In this kind of industry, putting a few hundred programmers on that task, is worth a lot of money.
    So what they're doing, is flattening the curve out a bit, and basically dropping us back to where we were in terms of numbers back in WOTLK. Basically 2 expansions worth of fix (enough time for them to either fix it again, or prepare for a second squish)
    The only downside to this appears to be the extreme lack of power gain in the low levels, You'll likely see toons 20-30 levels apart doing comparable dmg until they hit 60ish.
    It shouldn't be hurting lower levels at all, at least not 1-60, the curve being flattened is to bring all raid tiers from a certain part of the game (60s, 70s, 80s, 85s, and 90s) and the greens/blues in between, in line. It's as if the stat increase were steadily going up rather than continuously getting larger stat increases faster. There was a graph a while back that showed this perfectly, but I cannot find it. It showed one line that spiked during raid tiers, and dramatically increasing during cataclysm and continuing into MoP, and the new one, with the squish, was going up without the spikes or huge updraft caused by Cata/MoP.

Edit: This can basically sum things up. I think.
    Last edited by Sylreick; 2013-11-15 at 07:08 AM. Reason: added link
    "Believing something is not an accomplishment. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because “strength of belief” is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. Listen to any “die-hard” conservative or liberal talk about their deepest beliefs and you are listening to somebody who will never hear what you say on any matter that matters to them — unless you believe the same. Wherever there is a belief, there is a closed door."

Deleted
    Gear scales exponentially now. While doing doing 300k DPS right now is still doable, it'll get ridiculous a few expansions from now to the point where people will be doing 30M DPS for example. So why not change the system and make that 30k? It's easier on your CPU aswell.
    You also said that you don't want to feel less powerful in full Mythic gear than you did in Lv90 greens. You won't. Relative power will be largely the same, if you were to equip those same greens after the squish you wouldn't suddenly do more DPS than you do in Mythic gear. In the end it's all about relative power.

Would like to just throw out there that, there is more to it then just them hitting caps that they are doing the squish for. Look at it this way, when an attack is made in the game they have to calculate the stats of the attacker to the one being attacked to see if the attack hit, miss, dodged or parried. After that point they have to calculate if it was a direct hit or a near miss, then from their they have to figure out how much damage was done.

That's a lot of math their servers have to do just for one single attack. Now combine that with every player, monster, and NPC attack being made on a single server. With the numbers where they are now, that puts strain on the servers and causes lag. Now add the spell effects, animations and everything else that the servers have to maintain and it puts on some server lag that in some cases have caused the world server to crash.

With the Item Squish they are effectively killing two birds with one stone. They are cleaning up some server lag and avoiding the issue of bosses that heal themselves 3 times in a fight (which is not a good mechanic). I can see why people my think this is a bad thing, but with a little bit of education on the subject you would learn these things. And it's always good to learn new things, especially when your talking about it