Voters
2563. This poll is closed
  • Started Old School Vanilla

2,033 79.32%
  • Came in the later days BCS or Later

530 20.68%
Page 23 of 42 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I still have my vanilla CE box around here somewhere. I got the last one they had at EB.

Quote Originally Posted by Schwert View Post
    Don't get me started on PvP in this game being a crap hole.
    I dont doubt that a lot of people enjoy it but I definitely agree personally. Ive had fun at times in BGs but thats about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laggaiskogen View Post
    Oh I remember this. Me and a friend farmed in Silithus for like 3 weeks or something. While trying to do the Onyxia pre quest (as alliance). Also remember winning my first epic, tier legs of golemagg!

Have a great day everyone!
    Golemagg drops t1 chests.

15+ Year Old Account
    I started just after Battle Grounds were introduced.

If you Count up the People who Claim to have done it, it would be probably be around 30 Million.

10+ Year Old Account
    That was nearl 10 years ago. The market changed. And more specifically, many, many more MMOs have been released. There is not just "the one" MMORPG, there are now many different ones and you can choose.

I also have no idea what you want to prove with this thread. Yeah, we didn't have those things, but if WoW or any other new MMP would be released now, do you honestly think some of these features, like Group Finder, would miss from the game?

And I've played since the european release, 11th February 2005. And I even paused back then for weeks/months and continued to do so ever since.

A game isn't necessarily suposed to be challenging.
    It's supposed to be fun for as many as possible in order to have paying customers. Some like challenges, while others don't.

I was here back in vanilla, and i do REALLY not want the game to go back to that, despite me having fun with the game back then.
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away

Quote Originally Posted by Lethora View Post
    Golemagg drops t1 chests.
    He might be talking about the tier 2 that dropped in there prior to patch 1.4, but I don't think Golemagg dropped tier 2 pants anyway. I was able to get 3 piece tier 2 bonus from MC before ever killing rag.
    Last edited by urasim; 2013-11-15 at 09:58 AM.

Deleted
    I usualy assume most people on the forum have played the game more or less from release - it is kinda optimistic when i think about though, many players seems to be 15-20 years old, and the game have almost been around for 10 years. Not that it is a big achievement - i kinda respect those of my friends who stopped playing years ago and moved on lol.
    Many people probably stick around because of the community though - there is some quality writers and overall decent people to be found on the forums

Deleted
    I did, those 40 man MC raids were hilarious, usually it's actually a 20 man raid and the rest afk or auto shoot.

I created a tauren shaman in closed beta and spend 30 minutes on the first quest (bring an empty jar to the well and fill it). that game was a blast in sweet november 2004. yesterday i was soloing Halion and remembered i asked my future wife out in a middle of a raid ) Every time i do some old content it brings really warm memories about great people and great time we had. So i must thanks blizzard for that.

Quote Originally Posted by achrius777 View Post
    its a game its supposed to be challanging.
    Wrong, it's a game it's supposed to be entertaining and/or a waste of time, nothing that makes a game a game REQUIRES it to be challenging

Anyways, I agree with you on the rest though, I didn't start in vanilla but I think what they're doing with WoD is going to be great and can't wait!

15+ Year Old Account
    I did, started a few months after release.
    My little brother bought WoW, and I actually asked my mom to disallow him buying the game since I thought a monthly fee was ridiculous lol. I refused to play it at first but when I started my undead.....insta hooked for life. In the end it was me raiding and my bro not getting anywhere near our account during raidtimes, kinda feel sorry for him that he missed the epic raiding in vanilla because of me sometimes.

Deleted
    I did.

During my first few months I selected 'need' for every item that dropped, because as a child I was taught to believe being 'greed'-y was wrong.

But I also played hunter so what do you expect? \o/

I've played vanilla and I think that 40man raids sucked and group finder is the best thing that ever happened to the game.

Deleted
    well if private servers count then i started somewhere during vanilla.
    but else at the end of BC. (which is the option i picked)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marquize View Post
    Wrong, it's a game it's supposed to be entertaining and/or a waste of time, nothing that makes a game a game REQUIRES it to be challenging

Anyways, I agree with you on the rest though, I didn't start in vanilla but I think what they're doing with WoD is going to be great and can't wait!
    If it's not challenging and you don't have to 'work' for anything to accomplish something in the game it just feels empty now. Do you know any gear by name these days? I knew every single itemname and where it dropped in vanilla, legendary itemnames like rejuvenating gem, ashkandi, maladat, cloak of suturing etc etc which you dreamt about getting someday and after months of work it finally dropped, was waaaaay more rewarding than loot is now.

Started around April 2005. But I don't see how being a "Vanilla player" is such a big deal; and obviously can't understand why there are so many "pretenders" out there. I'm not going to belittle people that started playing later or anything, it's uncalled for, and they are also an important part of the community. In fact it is likely that this poll is not representative of the actual percentages... I mean, 4 out of 5 are Vanilla players? Allow me to doubt it

The game has changed with every expansion, and one can't objectively say whether it was "better" or "worse" at a certain point. Vanilla had some good stuff, but also had truly terrible things; and same can be said for every other expansion. I enjoyed my time in Vanilla, but I also did in TBC and Wrath.

Started in 2004.
    Grinded my way to Commander during the good ol' days. I'd love to see those "me wanna flyz" kiddos trying the old azeroth with mounts @ 40 that were really expensive.
    English is not my first language, feel free to point out any mistake so i can keep learning.

15+ Year Old Account
    Played in the File Planet Founder's Club closed stress beta, starting in early March 2004.

Progression raided from Molten Core to Naxxramas and made Grand Marshal the old way.

Come at me.
    Last edited by Hottage; 2013-11-15 at 10:20 AM.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

Dude it was a challenge cause noone rly knew what wow was... i was 40 lvl and i didnt know what Orgrimmar was...

The AH system was still developing, AH didn't have anything you need even creating a flask back then was tought considering that you needed to do scholo. It was a different system but that was cause there was no MMO-Champion telling you what the next patch is about and there were no videos or staff like that of "test realms" etc.

Nowadays you get to see pretty much most of the next expansion before the beta starts... a lot of guilds clear the instance on its Test realm...

But also let me state out here, a vanilla like expansion wouldnt be good for me nowadays. When i was playing vanilla I was young, different responsibilities, i could raid from 18:00 to 04:00 and then login back again at 09:00 to kill azuregos for example, also farm from 11:00 to 15:00 or pvp or whatever, I mean I was spending wayyyyyyyyyyy tooooooooooo muccchhhhhhhhhhhhhh time in this game but I had the time to spend as well. Nowadays there is no way i would play a game like that, got few hours to myself in a week I don't rly wanna spend them grinding etc, just want to have fun. Blizz is doing good with what they have done for the moment, only thing they could do to change it is like the grinding that you need to do for heroic and mything etc.

Have a special requirment for example "in order to join heroic verison of this raid you need to have farmed solo 500 mobs this week", smthing like that will spice it up for you that have the time to play the game and it wont get involved into normal versions which is actually for the people with no time or no skill

But tbh noone from my mates that play in the top raiding guild would want such a grinding change, they are happy with wiping for 2-3 weeks get it down then raid once a week and continue their real life.

Also the game is Old and we've seen everything so nothing is gonna bring you the joy you had when you were playing vanilla. Remember that time went into UBRS with 20ppl wipped at the 1st trash cause noone knew what heal tankor whatever is? That aint coming back