Poll: When did you start playing Warcraft

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I've been playing Warcraft since Orcs and Humans. But I didn't pick up WoW until right after Burning Crusade came out because when WoW went live I was still in college and I often get easily distracted so I didn't want to take a chance on my grades =)

Bloodsail Admiral Transmigration's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The RTS thing threw the whole study off. A lot of people started with RTS but subscribed to WoW during Wrath maybe? A lot of people who started in Wrath aren't nerdy enough to hang out in WoW forums?

Something f'd it up.

I started playing WoW in Cata, but it was almost near MoP, so I only started playing seriously in MoP. But have been playing Warcraft 3 since before WoW was lauched.

Should make a poll without the RTS.

Deleted
    played a lil warcraft 2- most of warcraft 3 and started WoW 3 months after release as I had to work those 3months solid

The data might be a little off. People on MMOChamp probably have been playing longer than the average subscriber

Deleted
    Picked up warcraft with WC3, played WoW from -05.

Should not have included the RTS option in the poll if you are looking for data on WoW as the title suggest. Some people might have easily played the RTS and skipped Classic or even TBC then came to WoW, and the poll can't show that.

No it is not a normal distribution, I should be a multivariable normal distribution (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiva...l_distribution). Reasons are obvious, there are many variables affecting active wow sub numbers (number of ppl joining, ppl leaving, quality of game, ppl coimin back, etc)

I should change my vote. I played both WC1 in '95 or '96. Can't remember exactly which year. Just remember still having Windows '95. Also played WC3 in the early 2000's before WoW was released.

10+ Year Old Account
    I played some version of WC1 at some convention/demo event. IDR exactly what/when it was since I was like 8 at the time. When I started playing WC2 in middle school, I didn't even realize it was the same franchise.

I didn't play WoW until Jan 2006. I didn't get my own subscription until Spring Break of that year.
    Last edited by Aquamonkey; 2013-11-21 at 05:20 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra6 View Post
    The RTS thing threw the whole study off. A lot of people started with RTS but subscribed to WoW during Wrath maybe? A lot of people who started in Wrath aren't nerdy enough to hang out in WoW forums?

Something f'd it up.
    Not at all, the Question is when did you star playing World of Warcraft, because a Significant portion of the population on MMO-C wants to be first even in a blind test they will answer the earliest possible answer which is an invalid response. So I can safety use the rest of the data which will now be closer to the truth than if I just started possible answers with Vanilla. You can infer the question from the forum topic.

Also putting this reply on the second page makes it unlikely that people will see it before they vote.

10+ Year Old Account
    The poll is pointless because most people lie about playing vanilla. When anyone who really did knows what a broken mess it was.
    Aye mate

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    The poll is pointless because most people lie about playing vanilla. When anyone who really did knows what a broken mess it was.
    Not at all, the people who will lie are going to select Pre-WOW, choosing WOW Vanilla is now nub to WC, so the instinct of the people who would lie is to take the top choice. People being honest about when they started WOW would answer when they actually started WOW.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    Not at all, the Question is when did you star playing World of Warcraft, because a Significant portion of the population on MMO-C wants to be first even in a blind test they will answer the earliest possible answer which is an invalid response. So I can safety use the rest of the data which will now be closer to the truth than if I just started possible answers with Vanilla. You can infer the question from the forum topic.

Also putting this reply on the second page makes it unlikely that people will see it before they vote.
    It threw me off because I did start in the old RTS days and also played during the closed beta before the release of WoW itself.

When I was little I watched my friend play a few matches of Warcraft 1. They had WC2 as well, but that one I skipped entirely. Warcraft 3 was when I joined Azeroth myself and took part in WoW's betas before the game's release.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know if I started late BC or early BC as I was a young little newb who never reached max level, let alone close during it, I just assumed Late. It was about a year away from WotLK release.

Your population sample is not generalizable to the WoW population at large. People who read / post about WoW are in the minority compared to everyone who plays WoW
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

I think putting the RTS option up there was a mistake. I doubt most that played the RTS bothered playing WOW at release. So it's not so much of a WOW starting point. I know a guy who played the RTS games and didn't start WOW till Wrath.

Also judging by the huge numbers of people saying they started with the RTS, it seems to kinda support that notion. I seriously doubt that many players have played since vanilla onward.

But what do I know.
    I like ponies and I really don't care what you have to say about that.

You should really actually have the various releases of the RTSes on here.

I've been playing since about the original release of WC2. Played it with friends back in the original W95/DOS release. And the game allowed you to clone the installation on a friend's computer so they could play multiplayer with you. And it was actually a friend that had WC2 originally. We'd play the campaign mode over at his place, and I had a cloned install on my computer so we could play dialup games together. And then when they released the original battle chest (WC: Orcs and Humans, WC2, and WC2 Beyond the Dark Portal) I bought it.

But the fact is that would put me having started playing Warcraft years before somebody who started with WC2: BNE / Playstation release. and several years before somebody who started with WC3. And that's why the "pre-WOW" category is overly cluttered.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrod View Post
    It threw me off because I did start in the old RTS days and also played during the closed beta before the release of WoW itself.
    Yep same. Started with Warcraft, and played closed WoW vanilla beta. The poll is misleading.