Why Play Retri When You Can Play Prot (PvP)?

I'm going to level a new pala with dps heirloom gear, I have the 2h and the 1h+shield and trying to figure out why would any one play retri in PvP when you can go prot?

It seems retri is CD based and players like me on my Shadow Priest will CC and dispel and use stealth, kite and just stay out of your way until the CD's are gone...Then what? Die?

Now prot offers the same utility and good damage with tons more survivability...

What am I missing?

10+ Year Old Account
    That prot doesn't give good damage at level 90. Prot deals INSANE damage at low level, it's almost unreal what you can do and especially with some vengeance if you can heal through the damage. BUT no vengeance for pvp and no OP prot damage for higher levels :P

ok so while leveling its prot and at 90 its retri..so just like warrior then?

At what point during the leveling curve would retri/arms overtake prot in PvP?

Somewhere between 81 and 85.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Why? I dunno, because you like the idea of playing a vengeful, avenging holy templar who smites his enemies with holy fire and angry words?

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

While I know the RP part is important to many players, I am more result oriented with emphasis on fun and seeing how must the PvP fun, for me, comes from performance...

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Cempa View Post
    While I know the RP part is important to many players, I am more result oriented with emphasis on fun and seeing how must the PvP fun, for me, comes from performance...
    Hardly any RP to be found in my suggestion, my suggestion was one of a thematic reasoning.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

As others said, Prot is not viable at max level for instanced PvP. At what level they become untenable I do not know, nor does it really seem to matter unless you're invested in low-level PvP - and then you would just examine the bracket you're planning to play.

In world PvP, prot is pretty fun and valuable with good raid-level gear.

Why have pie when you can have cancer?

Because ret is amazing thats why

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    You start losing fun from prot even in PvE at Mop start, when HP increase jumps but wog and fol heals don't...same about pvp, as said above, good damage at low levels, and only due to avengers shield, blood dk is much much better tank spec for pvp at all steps of leveling, despite it has no cc and mobility at all. So ret or holy at 90, for sure. Sigh but this.
    Last edited by Evida; 2013-11-24 at 02:59 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The good thing about Prot and Ret is that they share a lot of gear. So gear up like a Ret, and have the ability to tank as well. But yea, as far as PvP goes you won't see Prot in there.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Evida View Post
    You start losing fun from prot even in PvE at Mop start, when HP increase jumps but wog and fol heals don't...same about pvp, as said above, good damage at low levels, and only due to avengers shield, blood dk is much much better tank spec for pvp at all steps of leveling, despite it has no cc and mobility at all. So ret or holy at 90, for sure. Sigh but this.
    lol why say anything about PvE here? especially if it's wrong with harder content you get more vengeance, therefore healing increases as well...
    no vengeance in PvP so yeah it sucks.
    Last edited by mmoc4077df5b21; 2013-11-25 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Why have pie when you can have cancer?

Because ret is amazing thats why
    Ret is slightly under par.
    Deathknight's do it using disease, blood and the power of the unholy. Warlocks do it with dark demons by their side. Mages do it with summoned arcane powers. Druids do it using the forces of nature. Rogues do it through stealth, poison's, shadows and....from behind. Paladins do it by calling to the light for aid. Shamans do it with the help of the elements. Priests do it through the holy light.
    But warriors....
    Warriors just fucking do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolretadin View Post
    Ret is slightly under par.
    Always will be when buffs, necessary buffs, are able to be stolen or negated = no hard pressure or damage for most of the combat.
    Welcome to New Blizzard where everything ages backwards, dead servers are left gasping for breath, homogenization is disguised as uniqueness, leveling mirrors the progression of travel in the last 150 years, and gold is just a nuisance.

Quote Originally Posted by Greelix View Post
    Always will be when buffs, necessary buffs, are able to be stolen or negated = no hard pressure or damage for most of the combat.
    Doesn't help that our defensive toolkit is based around Bubble, which is terrible, and our mediocre self heals (worst hybrid self-heals in game). It's fucking disgusting how bad Ret is in Arena.
    Deathknight's do it using disease, blood and the power of the unholy. Warlocks do it with dark demons by their side. Mages do it with summoned arcane powers. Druids do it using the forces of nature. Rogues do it through stealth, poison's, shadows and....from behind. Paladins do it by calling to the light for aid. Shamans do it with the help of the elements. Priests do it through the holy light.
    But warriors....
    Warriors just fucking do it.

Deleted
    why go retri when you can go holy? ;>