Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Played in vanilla and got owned by a warlock, constantly getting feared and kited. I also saw some lock killing an elite just by fearing and using curse of exhaustion. I thought I'm going to get in on some of this.

I love my mage - but a destro warlock is how I expect fire to play. And it doesn't - so I play my warlock

Quote Originally Posted by deviantcultist View Post
    Won't disagree there. However, as of WoW launch, Warlocks had the monopoly of being the "Dark Class". I find that to be different nowadays and its not in favor of the Warlock class in my opinion.
    we'll agree to disagree. I believe that fel magic is the coolest thing they've ever put in WoW's lore. it converts life energy into power. it just doesn't get any darker than that. pure sacrificial magic. you kill others and yourself to get power and kill more.

shadow priests don't get any of that. they just keep using ESP and some shadowy stuff but in the end, they just don't get close to warlocks. while a shadow priest uses shadow orbs (wth is a shadow orb supposed to be?), an affliction warlock is actually using the souls of his enemies for a similar purpose. while a shadow priest transforms himself into a shadow, a demonology warlock transforms himself into an enormous and powerful demon, wielding the only chaos spells available to players and shooting lazors of void energy.

only DKs come close to warlocks in "darkness", but the fact that they didn't really want to be DKs in the first place works against them.
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    My first toon was a warlock. I got to about 35 and switched to Warrior because my guild needed a tank. 7 years later I have a fury warrior that I have never tanked with and am leveling a warlock because I'm sick of dodging ground effects. Full circle I guess.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by checking facts View Post
    we'll agree to disagree. I believe that fel magic is the coolest thing they've ever put in WoW's lore. it converts life energy into power. it just doesn't get any darker than that. pure sacrificial magic. you kill others and yourself to get power and kill more.

shadow priests don't get any of that. they just keep using ESP and some shadowy stuff but in the end, they just don't get close to warlocks. while a shadow priest uses shadow orbs (wth is a shadow orb supposed to be?), an affliction warlock is actually using the souls of his enemies for a similar purpose. while a shadow priest transforms himself into a shadow, a demonology warlock transforms himself into an enormous and powerful demon, wielding the only chaos spells available to players and shooting lazors of void energy.

only DKs come close to warlocks in "darkness", but the fact that they didn't really want to be DKs in the first place works against them.
    I don't know, mind controlling someone to kill heir friend then jump off a bridge is pretty dark. And hilarious. I should level a priest too...
    You either die a Varian, or live long enough to see yourself become a Thrall...

Quote Originally Posted by BEYR View Post
    I don't know, mind controlling someone to kill heir friend then jump off a bridge is pretty dark. And hilarious. I should level a priest too...
    anduin the holiest uses mind control. it can't be THAT bad lol

10+ Year Old Account
    anduin the holiest uses mind control. it can't be THAT bad lol
    True, but I doubt he was dropping people in lava out front of MC.
    You either die a Varian, or live long enough to see yourself become a Thrall...

I picked a warlock because I like summoning things, especially demons, when I play a fantasy game. I don't necessarily want to be 'evil' or 'dark,' in terms of aesthetics, but I like summoning monsters/demons.

Thus, I've played demonology for the long haul- "full" Demonology even when Soul link was a 31 point talent that you had to cast on the GCD every 30ish seconds if you wanted to use it. It wasn't that useful for me as a PvE player, but I tried to make the most of my decision to be "full demonology."

I always sought out the trinkets or set bonuses that increased demon stats and used permanent Doomguard pets whenever it was possible, or even when it wasn't that feasible. ("Hold on, guys- let's do a ritual of doom before the boss. The cripple will help the tank!")

I enjoyed how TBC and WoTLK made Demonology more of a functional spec bit by bit. MoP Metamorphosis as a mechanic is fun to use, even if it doesn't really reinforce the concept of summoning monsters to do your dirty work. So, I enjoy the playstyle of Metamorphosis while trying to tailor my talents and glyphs around my demons.

Recently, the MoP class quests were really interesting to me because I felt like they had the feel of discovering obscure knowledge and summoning weird and powerful monsters.

I originally picked my female undead warlock because she was cute but evil at the same time. I always tend to pick the dark side/evil characters in video games, so female undead warlock fit perfectly.
    Retired WOW player
    Currently Playing: Final Fantasy 14

More or less it is a matter of personal taste. However, there is one thing that can get slightly more clear if you think about it a bit objectively. There is a significant gap between "Evil" and "Dark". For example, being able to manipulate dark emotions and raw dark energy through means of spiritual attunement to those means is a dark mentality. As of being a person who simply craves power and sacrifices other to do so is evil. On top of that, the Shadow Priest rationale is more of a philosophy, while the Warlock one is a conscious choice of discarding empathy for the sake of promoting self-interest. Some might say that this is a philosophy as well, others may say that it is the absence of any sort of broad thinking.

DKs on the other hand are a cross between "evil" and "dark". That is mainly due to them having no say in the matter of being a DK and their emptiness guides their instincts, not their greed. Therefore, it is evil for once but the motive is not greed or any other personality weakness, but pure self-torture. I would conclude by saying that it is a matter of choosing between "Dark" and "Evil" or Dark in a gloomy sense or Dark in the vile sense.

Deleted
    I first made a warlock because ranged dps is my "thing" and in my last MMO I played before WoW I was also playing a warlock type char, it was perfect. WoW warlock didn't disappoint me in any way.
    Why I managed to stay playing it - it was exactly as dark as I imagined, like for example a mage would feel too bland and boring (girl next door or something). Also, I like a fairly independent character and we all know warlocks solo ability.

It helps that we generally get the best looking gear sets also.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizelda View Post
    It helps that we generally get the best looking gear sets also.
    Not just that, out of all the casters locks have the best spell and visual effects as well.

Deleted
    because of the demonology specc

Quote Originally Posted by Ivalen View Post
    I love my mage - but a destro warlock is how I expect fire to play. And it doesn't - so I play my warlock
    Um, destro was changed to be more like a fire mage. Not the other way around.

- - - Updated - - -

Fel magic isn't converting life energy into power. And it isn't pure sacrificial magic. It's arcane magic infused with demon blood. That's it. Anyone could cast a fel spell as long as they drink some demon blood.

- - - Updated - - -

old school warlock here, and demonic > shadow

fel = the pinnacle of demonic magic.

so fel > shadow

I'd bet that many more people rolled warlocks because they summoned demons than because of corruption and shadow bolt lol
    Fel is demonic magic. It isn't the pinnacle of demonic magic. And it isn't "fel>shadow". They're both powerful.

@Last Starfighter

You're jealous because we have green.
    /heh

On a serious note, I don't know if wowwiki can be considered of any value, but here's what it says:

"[2] The arcane and shadow magic appear to be tied together.[3] In the RPG, Shadow appears to be split into subcategories or is synonymous with "Darkness", "Negative", "Death", "Destruction", "Chaotic", "Evil", and "Fel"."

source: http://www.wowwiki.com/Shadow_(magic_school)

EDIT for myself, lol

After reading through this, it's unclear whether Fel magic is arcane or shadow, since when corrupted, it becomes shadow..?
    Last edited by evertonbelmontt; 2013-11-23 at 04:59 AM.

There are other classes?

*scrolls down the skada meter*

Oh yeah! I guess there are! How cute!

Quote Originally Posted by Grizelda View Post
    There are other classes?

*scrolls down the skada meter*

Oh yeah! I guess there are! How cute!
    LOL, wtb upvote!

Quote Originally Posted by Last Starfighter View Post
    Fel magic isn't converting life energy into power. And it isn't pure sacrificial magic. It's arcane magic infused with demon blood. That's it. Anyone could cast a fel spell as long as they drink some demon blood.
    the World of Warcraft Comics (the so called "med'an" comics) say that fel magic works through turning life energy into power. fel spells are cast on those comics by using the sacrifice of grass, a few lizards and some fish in the sea through the comics by characters such as vendellin soulfire, kathra'natir and meryl felstorm.

so yes, it's sacrificial magic.

10+ Year Old Account
    lore.
    pets.
    aff.

"Humility defeats pride, Master Yang has preached. Pride defeats man"