Poll: Do you like this class concept so far?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Ranger Class Idea

Time for another class concept fresh from the printer =). On another note, I am also working on twicking my dragonsworn class, so expect news from that as well. So here is my first take on the

RANGER

Intro: Rangers are elite wilderness warriors, archers, and skirmishers, capable of doing tricks with the bow that few others can hope to match. This class would be a more magical class than hunters, pulling from the more mystical roots of elves and shadow magic. There's also no pets to speak of in this class.

Races: night elves, blood elves, undead, human, gnomes, goblins.
    Armour: leather with agility for melee and ranged dps and and intellect for healer spec
    Weapons: bow

Class Traits:
    Elusiveness: Reduces your chance to be seen in stealth by 20%.
    Pride in Skill: Rangers respect only those who use bows as weapons. In a loot roll, the ranger always has advantage on needing bows if the other class is not equipped with one.
    Survival Training I: Allows you to cast while moving

Gameplay: the Ranger can be perhaps considered as the hybrid breed between a rogue and a hunter, a deadly user of the long ranged bow but far from useless in melee combat and prowess. This skill is the answer to the absence of a pet to protect the ranger. But that’s not a problem since there are many ways a pet would not be able to keep up with the combat pace of the ranger nor phase into the surroundings as well as his master, making the hunter’s beloved pet a dispensable tool. For the ranger, the bow is the only tool they need and they take very high pride in its mastery, which is why they only care to use it and consider other weapons inferior.

Now to the mechanics, they are also a concept between a hunter and a rogue. You start the battle with strong openers and then will have to manage a steady generation of Guile which is the main resource and its generation depends on how you intend to engage your target, with the opportunistic use of WP. This last resource is similar to the rogue’s combo points in the same way that each combo point increases the effectiveness of the ability on the target, the WP increase the chance that ability will succeed. This is both a unique and balanced way to separate rogues with rangers. Rogues are melee fighters that use combo points to build up very powerful attacks but the ranger since it has a natural advantage with range combat will instead have a resource that does not increase the effectiveness but increases the chance of success of that attack.

Specs:

Weaver: this spec specializes in manipulating the battlefield with a vast array of ranged attacks and diversion technics. It is more of a hit and run spec rather than a nuker. It is modeled after the Elven Ranger class in the sense that it uses magic with his skills. This spec is in contact with its surroundings, quickly adapting itself to take advantage of terrain superiority. One could argue that this spec is the master of all bows and arrows. By specializing in the Weaver tree the Ranger gains increased range to offensive spells and abilities. There are various ways to keep your enemies at bay, for example by snaring, slowing or knocking them back from distance. You are given an arsenal of ranged abilities to incapacitate those closing in or moving away. Since the instant spells have an increased range you should use them wisely in combination with your ranged attacks.

Whisperer: this spec specializes in shadow magic and necromancy. This spec would give your toon an undead appearance. The respective familiar class is intended to be the Dark Ranger. This is a spec that manipulates the life force of his enemies to drain their powers into himself, utilizing them to power up his martial skills. The Weaver tree focuses on close-combat damage and ranged openings. The battle starts with an opener from afar, in this case a ranged attack with the buff or debuff desired, followed by a pull or rapidly moving to your target's location. Martial strikes made by you will be your basic fighting style while your ranged attacks will finish the target off if it starts to run away. Some instant spells will also fill the gaps between the cooldowns of your physical abilities.

Moon Guard: this spec is the new healing spec based off the priestess of the moon class. Its arrows are graced by the higher powers of both the alliance and horde religious authorities and can bring both damnation or salvation in battle. The profound blessings of this talent tree improve the healing aspect with powerful spells and graced arrows to support and cure your allies. The tree's signature is the auto-attacking celestial arrows that affects quickly and steadily heal an ally, and at the fifth consecutive arrow releases an healing aoe equal to the healing done to it on the previous times. Another signature healing rotation is the stacking of the Sacrament buff on allies which you can consume for a direct heal or simply leave the stacks to do their job of hot. Faster heals will eat your Guile though.

Resource “guile” (works the same as Focus just purple in colour and 3x more amount to fill) but depending on the stance it will be generated through different methods:
    Assault Stance-gains 150% increased resource generation for 5 sec on every critical hit(stacking)
    Skirmish Stance-gains 250 Guile with every hit
    Sniper Stance-gains resource equal to 25% of the damage done.

Secondary Resource: Weakness Points
    Special abilities can reveal weakness points on the target. If you have 1 WP on the target you can use other powerful abilities but with a 75% chance of failure. With 2 WP on the target the chance drops to 50% and so on until you have 4 WP.

GAMEPLAY EXPLANATION:

The ranger’s resource is a mix of a hunter’s focus with a rogue’s combo points but also with a few tweaks. The Guile which is similar to Focus is generated not only constantly but also actively through specific triggers depending on the stance chosen.
    The WP which are the second resource and so are not needed to use the basic abilities, are just there to allow the ranger to use its most potent spells. However, this is different from the rogues because it does not guarantee a successful hit but just like the rogue’s combo points, the more WP you have on a target, the better. Both Guile and Focus are balanced to the hunter and rogue because while a hunter has a pet, the ranger as an extra way of generating resource and where the rogue has a build-up power gauge in the form of combo points, the ranger has a build-up success gauge in the form of WP.

NIGHT WHISPERER:

FOREST WEAVER:

MOON GUARD:

Abilities:

MELEE DPS SPEC
    RANGED DPS SPEC
    HEALER SPEC

TALENT TREE LINK
    Last edited by mmoc4874008d12; 2013-12-02 at 08:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I still think the next class should be pirated themed Class, With 2 handed guns on each hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionspride View Post
    I still think the next class should be pirated themed Class, With 2 handed guns on each hand.
    if the next expansion is emerald dream I think the dragonsworn should be the new class. if it is to be the burning legion then definetely demon hunters. But if you want a pirate then maybe the tinker in my sig can help u a decide =P
    Last edited by mmoc4874008d12; 2013-04-17 at 07:14 PM.

Still don't think a Ranger class would be distinct enough from Hunters. Instead, some of these ideas should be consolidated into a stronger/more unique Marskman spec or implement some of them for both Marksman and Survival.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bionics View Post
    Still don't think a Ranger class would be distinct enough from Hunters. Instead, some of these ideas should be consolidated into a stronger/more unique Marskman spec or implement some of them for both Marksman and Survival.
    I haven't had the opportunity to dwelve into the pros and cons of a ranger class as I did with my other concepts but I truly believe that a ranger would be a good addition to the game. first thought that comes to mind is the fact that you can finally be a hunter without a pet getting in ur way. then the melee abilities offered by the hunter's pet would be transformed onto the ranger making it a little more akin to the rogue. finally the stealth skill sets the ranger as the ranged rogue and petless hunter many people would like to play as.

---------- Post added 2013-04-14 at 07:50 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by XstenZ View Post
    Tried thinking of a completely new class, but everytime it has something from each class :\
    hehe its very hard to come up with something like that. but some have made along history =P. I have one actually that I think is pretty daring that someone posted on another website. here's the link:http://www.wowhead.com/forums&topic=210614&p=3371014

Deleted
    Hey there fellas! Plz allow me to introduce you to the new Ranger class ability tables! They can be found at the end of the OP. While I hope you will be readig them I will be working on my dragonsworn class which is in need of a refinement ,).
    thx for reading!

Melee dps spec does not make sense. Another agility leather user is a bad idea. Not distinct enough from the hunter.

I actually think the Sentinel is not bad, but it would only fit Night Elves.
    If there's one thing World of Warcraft players hate more than people who don't play, it's people that do play but not as much as them.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wish they would take one of the rogue specs and change it to ranged. It would basically be to merge your idea for whisperer and drop sub.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by grisset View Post
    Melee dps spec does not make sense. Another agility leather user is a bad idea. Not distinct enough from the hunter.

I actually think the Sentinel is not bad, but it would only fit Night Elves.
    why doesn't it make sense? it's a developed and balanced version of the vanilla melee hunters. And this way its not cluttered all around the class. Only one spec has the skill and only one spec needs melee weapons but has access to very little ranged abilities for situational purposes only =).

its not another agility leather user if you take in consideration all my previous classes . its distinct from the hunter in many ways. Resource, armour, specs, petless, stealth, and gameplay.

Hmm I changed the name of the spec to Moon Guard. Sentinels were too tied to nelvf lore indeed. But yh i get ur point. but certainly other races have some form of connection to the Moon without it necessarily being Elune.

---------- Post added 2013-04-17 at 10:13 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by dryankem View Post
    I wish they would take one of the rogue specs and change it to ranged. It would basically be to merge your idea for whisperer and drop sub.
    haha not that much actually. the whisperer has far too many abilities to be integrated as a rogue spec. Perhaps u r talking about the weaver. But even still, that spec's rotation is tuned towards melee combat anyway so it wouldn't be different from the rogue.
    And I don't see why u dislike sub rogue =/

Deleted
    Hey guys,

Here comes a new update! I changed the rotations of all specs to fit my original idea of a Ranger class that can be stand alongside a hunter and still be distinguishable.

Hope you enjoy!

I would love to a be ranger.But i think forest weaver should use bows and twohanded swords/axe.

Arrows don't heal. Stop it. That simply doesn't work right. This is a hunter without a pet, and you needed some ways to make it more than just a hunter without a pet. Throwing Healing magic, shadow magic and melee spec on (wtf) doesn't make it a passable idea.

Its a hunter without a pet. With magical arrows.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Giscoicus View Post
    Arrows don't heal. Stop it. That simply doesn't work right. This is a hunter without a pet, and you needed some ways to make it more than just a hunter without a pet. Throwing Healing magic, shadow magic and melee spec on (wtf) doesn't make it a passable idea.

Its a hunter without a pet. With magical arrows.
    its a hunter without a pet and without traps and without mail armor but with magical skills, stealth ability and leather armor. And if still they are not different enough to you than I suggest you read the OP again =).
    But in regards to your comment about healing arrows, let me say that I understand where you are coming from. But this is not the first such concept is applied in games. And these are not arrows, but more like bolts of energy that come from the bow.
    But if you think about it, a petless, melee magical ranger is all what the hunters aren't and what many people have been wanting them to be...

10+ Year Old Account
    These are all things already covered by a hunter, mage, druid, and rogue. Hopefully Blizz will develop a new class which is not already a mash up of 3 other classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    These are all things already covered by a hunter, mage, druid, and rogue. Hopefully Blizz will develop a new class which is not already a mash up of 3 other classes.
    This.

Totally pointless concept. There are already so many classes to chose from that are very similar to at least one of the different specs mentioned above. Balancing classes while avoiding homogenisation has been a thorn in the side of developers since the beginning of WoW and what you're proposing just shits all over both worlds. A class such as this just takes away from the uniqueness that existing classes already have and further complicate the game as a whole.

With transmog there is no reason you couldn't make one of the already existing 11 classes look something like the pictures you've linked above.

I personally hope no new classes are ever introduced into the game. It's not good for the long term health of the game - more doesn't always necessarily mean better.

I can see the point of a petless ranged DPS class (personally I don't think the petless hunter talent is going to work), but I'm not seeing this concept working. I think it's far more likely we will eventually see Demon Hunters with both ranged and melee specs.

Pride in Skill: Rangers respect only those who use bows as weapons. In a loot roll, the ranger always has advantage on needing bows if the other class is not equipped with one.
    A class-based loot roll bonus? Please don't tell me you actually think this is practical.

Quote Originally Posted by DonQShot View Post
    its a hunter without a pet and without traps and without mail armor but with magical skills, stealth ability and leather armor. And if still they are not different enough to you than I suggest you read the OP again =).
    So basically an additional spec for rogue.
    You can try to fit me in a box, only to see me burst out of it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    well until I hear Blizzard say: "we will definitely not make any more classes" or "the classes available absolutely cover all other classes possible", all is possible.

10+ Year Old Account
    i have trouble justifying how what in most RPGs is called a 'Ranger' is not synonymous with what in WoW we call a 'Hunter'

- - - Updated - - -

well until I hear Blizzard say: "we will definitely not make any more classes" or "the classes available absolutely cover all other classes possible", all is possible.
    i can't disagree with this!

When someone asks you if you're a god, YOU SAY 'YES'!

10+ Year Old Account
    Just because something is possible does not mean they should do it. Especially if we can already find an active class or classes which encompasses most of what we would see in the new class. Just like tinkers. Odds are we will never have them since Engineers already hold the market on explosives and having tricks up their sleeves like bombs, and rockets.