10+ Year Old Account

Ironfur Steelhorn the next time lost?

Now of course I don't mean he drops a mount, but he certainly should for how long I have been camping his spawn path killing all other yaks on site. I'm talking about it's rarity. I was just wondering if anyone has any information on this rare's spawn rate because I've been putting hours and hours trying to get this last rare for the achievement... I just find it odd since all the others (even Houlon, the mount dropper) spawn every 30minutes to an hour it seems. It would be extremely unlikely that I have just happened to miss it without even seeing a dead body after camping for hours.
    Last edited by Azarak; 2013-12-03 at 03:23 AM.

Ironfur is up like every 10 mins dude, it's not that hard.
    Originally Posted by Tradewind
    Well yeah, did you see the daughter? 0/10, would not bang.

HE spawns pretty often but in different location, so you might be unlucky and miss them.

15+ Year Old Account
    Golganarr is closer to the next Time-Lost. His spawn time is something like 48+ hours :P

Ironfur, Python, Gander, and Monstrous Spineclaw do not have set spawn timers or locations. Each time you kill their designated mobs(Death Adder for Python, Ancient Spineclaw for Monstrous, ect.), the rare has a chance to spawn in place of that mob when it respawns.

You want your Ironfur Steelhorn, start killing the elite oxen wandering around the western side of the island.

I've seen Ironfur only once and of course I was playing my alt then. Still missing it for the achievement.

No way to confirm but my guess: every hour he is eligible to spawn however he won't unless enough yaks are killed. Somehow. So you get roughly 1 hour plus or minus. The problem is that due to his large spawn area and density of players, there's a good chance that while you're killing mobs down south he spawns up north and is killed, skinned and gone before you get back. I have a similar problem with Monstrous Spineclaw.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aei89 View Post
    Ironfur, Python, Gander, and Monstrous Spineclaw do not have set spawn timers or locations. Each time you kill their designated mobs(Death Adder for Python, Ancient Spineclaw for Monstrous, ect.), the rare has a chance to spawn in place of that mob when it respawns.

You want your Ironfur Steelhorn, start killing the elite oxen wandering around the western side of the island.
    I'm pretty sure only the Gander is completely based on kills, I've sometimes seen three up in quick succession. I think a lot of other mobs have some kind of baked-in "if you've spawned don't spawn again for ____ mins" rule as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I'm pretty sure only the Gander is completely based on kills, I've sometimes seen three up in quick succession. I think a lot of other mobs have some kind of baked-in "if you've spawned don't spawn again for ____ mins" rule as well.
    Nah, they're all like that. The Gander usually just spawns more often because people are forced to kill it more often as they're riding by and wind up getting dazed/dismounted because they aggro'd one(at least that's my theory). Maybe three or four weeks or so ago I joined a crossrealm Celestials group on an alt, ended up killing three Imperial Pythons in less than ten minutes while waiting for the group to fill up. Of course it was in a raid group, which means I got jack from them, but the spawns were still there and in quick succession. Also, if you really think about it, there's a hell of a lot more of the elite cranes on the isle to make for eligible Gander spawns than there are oxen for the Ironfur.

Anyway, there might be some sort of hidden failsafe at play that makes sure at least one spawns after a certain amount of time passes, but there doesn't seem to be any form of cap to prevent multiple spawns at once or in quick succession. It might seem that way due to the locations of all the special mobs like Death Adders and Ancient Spineclaws are(very spread out), being that you can't really kill more than 1-2 at a time and more often than not people have no need to kill them so they just run on by.

Kill all and I mean ALL the yaks, even the little neutral baby ones. At most you will spend 45 minutes doing this. I have gotten him to spawn in as low as 10 minutes, never longer than 45. Basically, if you really try, he will spawn. Make sure to communicate with general chat to let people know you are camping it, in case they see it and kill it before you even get back around to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakashima View Post
    Golganarr is closer to the next Time-Lost. His spawn time is something like 48+ hours :P
    I think it's pretty random tbh, seen him spawn twice in a 2 hour period.

Seen 2 Ironfurs up at the same time.
    RNG is RNG. Both were by Arch

Nah, they're all like that. The Gander usually just spawns more often because people are forced to kill it more often as they're riding by and wind up getting dazed/dismounted because they aggro'd one(at least that's my theory). Maybe three or four weeks or so ago I joined a crossrealm Celestials group on an alt, ended up killing three Imperial Pythons in less than ten minutes while waiting for the group to fill up. Of course it was in a raid group, which means I got jack from them, but the spawns were still there and in quick succession. Also, if you really think about it, there's a hell of a lot more of the elite cranes on the isle to make for eligible Gander spawns than there are oxen for the Ironfur.

Anyway, there might be some sort of hidden failsafe at play that makes sure at least one spawns after a certain amount of time passes, but there doesn't seem to be any form of cap to prevent multiple spawns at once or in quick succession. It might seem that way due to the locations of all the special mobs like Death Adders and Ancient Spineclaws are(very spread out), being that you can't really kill more than 1-2 at a time and more often than not people have no need to kill them so they just run on by.
    People spawn imperial adders for the pet chance
    People kill cranes for the 30% ground speed buff
    People kill spineclaws for the near-zero agro range buff (great for bloody coin farming)
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

10+ Year Old Account

correct, i have seen multiple of each rare up at the same times. Based on what i have seen when i was farming the crab they MAY be a hidden spawn timer.

I (and a ally warrior) was killing the lot of them by the horde FP and 3 YES 3 rares spawned at the same time. do note that we had been killing the crabs nonstop for atleast 30 minutes, none of the crabs lived for more than 20 secs and all 3 rares spawned within secs of each other

"Humility defeats pride, Master Yang has preached. Pride defeats man"

Still missing Ironfur Steelhorn as well (and only him) for the achievement lol.
    Seen him once, dead on the floor...
    Seen the other Beast rares about 20 times each though.

It really feels like Ironfur Steelhorn is a lot more rare, but I guess it's just really really really bad RNG.

Ironfur doesn't have a spawn time.

You have to kill the cows to get him to spawn.

Quote Originally Posted by Gvstoned View Post
    Still missing Ironfur Steelhorn as well (and only him) for the achievement lol.
    Seen him once, dead on the floor...
    Seen the other Beast rares about 20 times each though.

It really feels like Ironfur Steelhorn is a lot more rare, but I guess it's just really really really bad RNG.
    Noone has a reason to kill the Ironfur Bulls that I know of. Go kill them and it will spawn quickly.

All the other rare replacement spawns have *some* reason to be killed constantly, and are on my realm.
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    Noone has a reason to kill the Ironfur Bulls that I know of.
    They do drop that yak fur temporary mount that is part of the Bigger Bags achievement, but once you've had it drop, you've had it drop.
    I don't know the recipe for success, but I know that the recipe for failure is trying to please everyone.

Forum stupidity at its finest:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    Just because a word is in the dictionary doesn't mean it's true IRL.
    Allatar - EU Aszune | Allatar - D3 Career

Aah yes, well it's something.

Maybe some people even get more of those for the charges. It's undeniably useful for getting to say huolon spawns and such, but I just stick with feathers.

Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    People spawn imperial adders for the pet chance
    People kill cranes for the 30% ground speed buff
    People kill spineclaws for the near-zero agro range buff (great for bloody coin farming)
    Uhhhh, I kill spineclaws so I can get a pet as well...that thing just won't spawn for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexeiblu View Post
    Uhhhh, I kill spineclaws so I can get a pet as well...that thing just won't spawn for me.
    Yes, and people kill pythons to spawn the rare for the pet chance too..

but it's such a minority it's hardly worth mentioning. Most people I see killing spineclaws outside of daily are doing it for aggro range buff either for griefing or convenience.