Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Is The Slowing of Aging Possible In The Near Future?

Was curious about this after reading some Ray Kurzweil stuff. He proclaims we can slow aging very soon and even attain immortality within the next 30-40 years through nanotechnology. Now, I find the immortality bit quite hard to believe, but is there a chance that within the next 20 or 30 years, average life expectancy can increase by a noticeable amount through technology?

120-150 years?
    Last edited by High Marshal Sigismund; 2013-12-12 at 09:20 AM.

Is it possible? Yes.

Will it happen in 30-40 years? Debatable.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

Allready happening.

Friend of mine is in a experimental stage of a program where they inject her nano bots that clean up cells. It has about a 10% chance of accelerating aging instead of slowing it down, but so far she looks healthy.

Many more things are worked on that are not in a ( semi ) public test phase yet.
    Ecce homo ergo elk

Quote Originally Posted by Twoflower View Post
    Allready happening.

Friend of mine is in a experimental stage of a program where they inject her nano bots that clean up cells. It has about a 10% chance of accelerating aging instead of slowing it down, but so far she looks healthy.

Many more things are worked on that are not in a ( semi ) public test phase yet.
    Does that violate any human rights laws?

On a cellular level, if you had a way to cure cancer you could be immortal by the use of telomerase. Theres a few more things that youd need to deal with, but it honestly doesn't seem that farfetched that immortality is achievable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Aubrey de Grey seems to be quite sure that we will achieve immortality - save for incidents like plane crashes, etc, so he puts age at +/- 600 years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WarlordsofDraenor View Post
    Does that violate any human rights laws?
    As long as the participants are fully aware of the risks, and are properly reimbursed if any complications arise, I don't think it does.

OT:
    "Near" is a very weird term from a language PoV. If you're speaking geologically, something in the near future or past is still MILLIONS of years off, whereas something being "near" in physics and you're not even allowed to be a few percentile off. But yeah, soon(tm) we'll have an even longer age span due to various advances in medical fields and other areas. Just don't expect it in your life time.

Hopefully this will never happen. Dont you see the big Picture?

Lets just assume we had done it, and People would now get 150 to 200. We would simply overpopulate the planet within the next 20 years. While for the individual this sounds nice, for us all it will yield unforseeable consequences.

It´s like the big lie of capitalism which says"everyone can get rich and fanous", which is correct, but they forgot ot add "but not all". Same as the lottery, where everyone has the Chance to win, but not all will.

with lifespans increasing and technology increasing them even more, i only wish i was born in the future where my lifespan could have been so much more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is it possible in the near future? It is already happening...
    Might want to check with the lifetime expectations statistics..
    Between medieval times and today, the lifetime expectations more than doubled.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ripponesan View Post
    Hopefully this will never happen. Dont you see the big Picture?

Lets just assume we had done it, and People would now get 150 to 200. We would simply overpopulate the planet within the next 20 years. While for the individual this sounds nice, for us all it will yield unforseeable consequences.

It´s like the big lie of capitalism which says"everyone can get rich and fanous", which is correct, but they forgot ot add "but not all". Same as the lottery, where everyone has the Chance to win, but not all will.
    If we're talking about non aging well overpopulation wouldn't matter at that point. Some people would just *die*.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by theWocky View Post
    Aubrey de Grey seems to be quite sure that we will achieve immortality - save for incidents like plane crashes, etc, so he puts age at +/- 600 years.

This was fantastic, thanks!

if you believe in the idea of the singularity that is supposed to happen in a few decades aging, and death in a way are overcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I feel like immortality or even a greatly increased lifespan prior to achieving a way off this rock is a really bad idea.
    We can get off this rock, easy. We just have nowhere to go.

I think we will achieve longer life spans through gene therapy lengthening our telomerers - that or giving us supercancer.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    I think we will achieve longer life spans through gene therapy lengthening our telomerers - that or giving us supercancer.
    What about supercancer lengthening our telomerers?

10+ Year Old Account
    What about we ascend and we get Super Cancer 2?
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Is it possible in the near future? It is already happening...
    Might want to check with the lifetime expectations statistics..
    Between medieval times and today, the lifetime expectations more than doubled.
    The average lifespan of a person who lives through infancy has not changed in that time span we have just got better at keeping babies alive after birth which brings the average up significantly (throw a whole heck of a lot of 0's and 1's into a data set and the average will plummet).

Deleted
    This is pretty much the easiest way as it protects the cell replication process. ]

Problem is while the jesus nuts are still insistent on blocking advancements into stem cell technology i cant see this being allowed in the long run nor the full scale use of any sort of anti ageing nanos

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    What about we ascend and we get Super Cancer 2?
    Are you being serious?