Page 1 of 37
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Why the Double Standard on Circumcision?

How come male circumcision is seen as acceptable in the US (as well as in other countries) but female circumcision is rightly looked down upon? I know male circumcision has a couple incredibly marginal benefits as well as drawbacks but both seem highly immoral to me. They should be entirely the decision of the child once he or she grows up. I know female circumcision is more brutal and unnecessary, biologically speaking. I just don't think the moral difference of forcing it onto a child, especially for religious reasons, is all that large. I know I will let me children decide for themselves (if I have any). When thinking about the religious causes of circumcision I get even more upset. I wouldn't be opposed to banning the use of it on children, even for religious reasons, except in various life or quality-of-life threatening circumstances. You're freedom of religion shouldn't give you the right to physically impress your beliefs onto your child. It's worse than tattooing your child. Circumcision is at worst mutilation and at best cosmetic in my opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZTS6iVpSPI
    Last edited by GreatOak; 2013-12-12 at 07:19 PM.
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Batten down the hatches folks, it's about to get shitty in here.
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2013-12-12 at 07:21 PM.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Deleted
    Belief. Need not over-think it.

There are actually a growing amount of people speaking out against male circumcision. I know that more people are finding it to be inhumane, especially because circumcision removes sexual pleasure for men.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    Circumcision is at worst mutilation and at best cosmetic in my opinion.
    I had it done for medical reasons, as in; it was either that or extreme pain all the time. Is that ok in your opinion then?
    I like juice

10+ Year Old Account
    I had it done to me when I was baby, don't really care. Mom said she was told by the doctors(This was 1989 so take that into consideration) it was a good thing. I quote and Mom said "I cried watching them doing that to you."

I'm not angry, the way people describe...the cock....before the circumcision sounds.... I dunno a Pita but again I'm a little bias. Religious reasons though? Yeah I don't buy it.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Tradition is the most reasonable reason I can think of.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Brace yourselves, ignorant feminists are coming.

WebMD does state that there are some benefits to circumcision: http://www.webmd.com/sexual-conditio...e/circumcision

I'm a lady, so I can't speak on behalf of men on this point, but I have never met a single male who cared about being circumcised or not. My hubby is circumcised and he thinks its fine. I've had boyfriends in the past that were not and they didn't care either. My entire life, and I've never met anyone who actually gave a shit except the interwebz.

From a girl's perspective, I'm quite partial to circumcised penises. They just look cleaner and for whatever reason don't seem to smell as bad. They look nicer overall IMO.
    Last edited by Natiry427; 2013-12-12 at 07:22 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Both male and female circumcision should be banned. Male circumcision should be done only for medical reasons. Female circumcision never.

My cents.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Damsbo View Post
    I had it done for medical reasons, as in; it was either that or extreme pain all the time. Is that ok in your opinion then?
    Yes. There are obviously rare situations where it could help someone (phimosis), but for the most part my standard applies.

Deleted
    Same for me.

Doing it for anything other than medical reasons is abhorrent and immoral. The parents religious or other beliefs should NOT be allowed to determine which parts of their child's body they can cut off or mutilate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bandcamp16 View Post
    There are actually a growing amount of people speaking out against male circumcision. I know that more people are finding it to be inhumane, especially because circumcision removes sexual pleasure for men.
    Iirc it was nearly banned in Germany

except in various life or quality-of-life threatening circumstances.
    I'm sure "relieving constant extreme pain" would qualify, so I don't think your sarcasm is warranted.

*shrug* Male circumcision isn't as bad as female circumcision, which has let the various arguments in favor of it hold out longer.... at least, that's the biggest justification I can see, besides tradition and people either not wanting to change or not wanting to believe that the did or had something done to them that wasn't necessary and had negative side effects. (Picture being a parent who wanted and chose that for your son, then hearing arguments about how it's inhumane... many will take that personally and argue that circumcisions should continue, if only to justify their own decision.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Natiry427 View Post
    WebMD does state that there are some benefits to circumcision: http://www.webmd.com/sexual-conditio...e/circumcision
    Which are based almost entirely off studies of dubious methodology and credibility. Basically no one except the USA buys the conclusions.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Why is circumcision acceptable?

Because Jews, Muslims and Americans.

I could go on about this.

Basically the only group that appears to be making studies in favor of circumcision is the American Pediatrics Association.

All the other studies ive read either finds no benefits and goes the diplomatic route of "Eh, its important to some people to have the right to cut their infant's genitals" or finds several things wrong with it. Last study i read showed statistics saying 2 children die from complications from circumcision every week in the US. That is 2 children a week - for a completely unnecessary cosmetic procedure performed on the genitals of infants.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    Same for me.

Doing it for anything other than medical reasons is abhorrent and immoral. The parents religious or other beliefs should NOT be allowed to determine which parts of their child's body they can cut off or mutilate.
    I'm not sure if you share this belief as well but in addition to what you said I'll suggest that it's fine for any consenting adult to do whatever he or she wants to his or her own body, including ending it.

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Which are based almost entirely off studies of dubious methodology and credibility. Basically no one except the USA buys the conclusions.
    Yeah... I'm gonna trust the doctors on this one. Gl with your opinion, tho.

Of course it is.

I had an ingrown nail - i had it removed. Is that an argument supporting someone who wants to remove nails from babies so they dont get ingrown nails?

circumcision removes sexual pleasure for men? ha, im not sure if i believe this. anyway, make circumcision can have benefits, and only removes the foreskin, female circumcision is kinda like cutting off the head of your penis