Thread: Boomie Affdots

Boomie Affdots

I recently started using this and I'm a bit confused on refreshing. Should I refresh a DoT as SOON as it's green? If so, what if I just refreshed the DoT a moment before it turned green? Isn't that a dps loss? Thanks

Also, I tested my dps on training dummies a few times with and without using affdots. And it doesn't seem to be increasing my dps at all.
    Last edited by zimboombafoo; 2013-12-12 at 11:10 PM.

DoT Refreshing isnt as important for us as it is for other class/specs (aff locks / spriests)
    Usually you would only refresh just before you leave eclipse if you have powerful procs up.

Quote Originally Posted by zimboombafoo View Post
    I recently started using this and I'm a bit confused on refreshing. Should I refresh a DoT as SOON as it's green? If so, what if I just refreshed the DoT a moment before it turned green? Isn't that a dps loss? Thanks

Also, I tested my dps on training dummies a few times with and without using affdots. And it doesn't seem to be increasing my dps at all.
    I'm not sure why affdots has been recommended on this forum at all - it initially was not. I can see it being useful possibly in decision making with dots but moonkin is far different from afflicition and there's more to dot clipping/refreshing decision than dot strength.

Assuming you're talking about single target - Do not refresh as soon as trinkets proc or the addon tells you that your dots have become a certain amount more powerful.

You should track dot duration and time remaining on trinket procs. Idk what your gear is like but you should be push through the Euphoria phase (uneclipsed portion) 5 seconds or less on dots unless you're below 500 ilvl I want to say and then you'd be able to refresh when hitting a new eclipse.

As far as procs go it depends what you've got, meta + any int is a pretty big deal and if, for example you're about to leave either eclipse and you've got less than 5 seconds on those procs and you haven't refreshed dots in yet in the duration of those procs then ofc refresh before leaving that eclipse.

Unless you're super low geared you shouldn't have to refresh 2x per eclipse. Would help to know if you have meta and 10289 haste btw. In the end just focus on pushing eclipses as fast as possible and refresh at least once during a powerful (typically trinket) proc duration.

If you have to move, then you can refresh as soon as "affdots gets green" or you get procs, otherwise use starsurge procs/mushrooms/rejuvs.

Generally u wanna go for haste over power, set up 2 trackers which monitor your haste buffs. If one or more lights show up for haste buffs then youll ant them to stop.

Soruzi
    Rogue

Draenor

Quote Originally Posted by Zzang View Post
    Generally u wanna go for haste over power, set up 2 trackers which monitor your haste buffs. If one or more lights show up for haste buffs then youll ant them to stop.
    Haste is power. The good thing about Affdots is it translates Haste and Spell Power into a single number and it can teach you a lot about DoT strength. The issue with trying to use Affdots to tell you when to refresh DoTs is that since we don't value DoT strength as much as other classes do (and we don't have Pandemic) it doesn't really work out. 95% of the time you should be reapplying your DoTs based around your Eclipse states, not your procs.

Quote Originally Posted by Glurp View Post
    Haste is power. The good thing about Affdots is it translates Haste and Spell Power into a single number and it can teach you a lot about DoT strength. The issue with trying to use Affdots to tell you when to refresh DoTs is that since we don't value DoT strength as much as other classes do (and we don't have Pandemic) it doesn't really work out. 95% of the time you should be reapplying your DoTs based around your Eclipse states, not your procs.
    I feel one of my biggest weaknesses during Cataclysm as a Boomkin was over-emphasizing dot snapshot casting(not to mention not having the staff..). The moment I stopped caring about reapplying dots all of the time based on procs, and stressed more on just applying them based on eclipse and maximum uptime and minimum recasts, my percentiles got a lot better. I feel it's just better to worry about snapshotting less and worry about getting more actual casts out more, and not reapplying dots with 5+ seconds on it just because something juicy procced. All my opinion though.

Appreciate the down talk, I know what AffDots is. My reply simply was highlighting the ease of having affdots plus a wa string of some form which tracks your haste buffs. I don't care about if a sp trinket has procced or not outside CD usage. Again, thanks for the down talk, it definitely encourages people to answer or ask questions.

Soruzi
    Rogue

Draenor

Lol no need to go all sarcastic/passive aggressive, are you twelve? If you think Glurp was talking down to you just then, thank fuck you don't come in here when he's on a bad day. You'd piss your pants.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

Quote Originally Posted by durrtygoodz View Post
    Lol no need to go all sarcastic/passive aggressive, are you twelve? If you think Glurp was talking down to you just then, thank fuck you don't come in here when he's on a bad day. You'd piss your pants.
    Amen to that. Glurp was friendly . AffDoTs for Boomkins simply isn't a good idea. We value our DoT's yes, but largely in part to the extent of simply having them on a target. The actual window for refreshing for procs is more around ~5 seconds tops.. if you're going to naturally refresh your DoTs really soon and you have the choice between a strong proc and nothing, you take the proc. It could be debatable then too though. Too thin of a line. I just wish we had the luxury of affliction.. recovering up to half of our dot's max length on refresh GG (that may actually be fun.. for me).

Anyways, don't use affdots.

Quote Originally Posted by durrtygoodz View Post
    Wow. You wanna take his balls out your mouth before you work the shaft?

Edit: infracted -- please be courteous to other users.
    Last edited by Slippykins; 2013-12-15 at 04:09 AM.

Soruzi
    Rogue

Draenor

Quote Originally Posted by Zzang View Post
    Wow. You wanna take his balls out your mouth before you work the shaft?
    Actually I don't really like the guy. Just thought your reaction was funny. Anyway, enjoy your infraction I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

Quote Originally Posted by boomkinhero View Post
    AffDoTs for Boomkins simply isn't a good idea. ......Anyways, don't use affdots.
    Affdots is like any other useful tool - you can hurt yourself if you don't understand how it should be used.

I personally disregard the color changes of Affdots and I have set up a custom Weak Auras lua to compare the strength of my new dots to the time left on the old dots. Since the Legendary Meta + trinkets are so powerful there are times when an uneclipsed dot is actually stronger than an eclipsed one (or close enough that it doesn't make sense to refresh until right before leaving the eclipse) - which saves at least 1 GCD in this one instance.

Saying that just because boomkins dots account for a relatively small percentage of their dps compared to warlocks that the addon is useless is a bit of a stretch. If you have everything in order: gear, rotation, in-depth fight knowledge to minimize movement and are looking to squeeze out the most possible dps, then yes, affdots can be helpful. Generally though it is a lower priority than those other items so if you're new to boomkin you can safely avoid it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pippilongear View Post
    Affdots is like any other useful tool - you can hurt yourself if you don't understand how it should be used.

I personally disregard the color changes of Affdots and I have set up a custom Weak Auras lua to compare the strength of my new dots to the time left on the old dots. Since the Legendary Meta + trinkets are so powerful there are times when an uneclipsed dot is actually stronger than an eclipsed one (or close enough that it doesn't make sense to refresh until right before leaving the eclipse) - which saves at least 1 GCD in this one instance.

Saying that just because boomkins dots account for a relatively small percentage of their dps compared to warlocks that the addon is useless is a bit of a stretch. If you have everything in order: gear, rotation, in-depth fight knowledge to minimize movement and are looking to squeeze out the most possible dps, then yes, affdots can be helpful. Generally though it is a lower priority than those other items so if you're new to boomkin you can safely avoid it.
    Can anyone pastebin the WA string for dot strength? rather have this than a whole addon

Deleted
    Can anyone pastebin the WA string for dot strength? rather have this than a whole addon
    i second this!