Poll: Should gamers be treated as pro athletes?

Page 1 of 20
... LastLast
    Deleted

Should gamers be treated as pro athletes?

I just passed by this

http://kotaku.com/starcraft-player-g...ili-1481485630

and I gotta say that I'm astonished.

Do you agree that an e-sport gamer should get a salary and a visa like a fellow who lifts weights all morning or runs X miles a day or swims 5 hours in a pool everyday or a mountain climber that risks injury or even death? Someone, and I quote "... that is trained or skilled in exercises, sports, or games requiring physical strength, agility, or stamina."?

EDIT 2: New documentary by Valve regarding this subject in their own way.

Last edited by mmocda37b2a89b; 2014-04-07 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Added poll.

Deleted
    Absolutely. It's just not a physical activity, just a mental one. And I think there is room for both of them to thrive.

Nope. Because 260 pound 13 y/o kids have to be called athletes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    This question gets asked all the time on here. No, playing a video game != professional level athlete.
    Last edited by vindicatorx; 2013-12-14 at 08:27 AM.

I have a hard time treating anyone as an athlete who is not sound in both mind and body.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

You mean should professional gamers be treated like professional entertainers? Sure, why not. They're definitely not athletes though.

I think the context is completely different.

Deleted
    Ofcourse, he earned it, whats the mather with you?

I'd say competitors.

I dont know what you call chess players, but IMO pro gamers are at least on that level.
    Ecce homo ergo elk

Under the dictionary playing a game hardly qualifies you as an athlete. But whatever they wanna call it. He acts like the short ass time he would have spent in the military would have ended his life. I mean jeese

Deleted
    Professional gamers should be treated as professionals. It would be easier if there was a legitimate visa category for esports; but there's not. In the grand scheme of things, playing a competitive game professionally falls into the category of a sport out of all the categories available, even though it's not seen as "athletic."

This debate has actually been raging for decades in regards to chess, which many people have been saying is a competitive sport whilst others argue it is not, because it is a mental sport more than a physical one. Chess is now recognised as an olympic sport, despite it's lack of physical requirements, so I see no problem with other competitive games falling into the sport category (though I still prefer to call them esports).

I wouldn't personally call a professional gamer an athlete, but I do believe that esports is a legitimate type of sport in its own right, and that professionals should be treated as such and allowed the same professional freedoms that other sports do in regards to attending tournaments and travelling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Military service is bull**** so good for him.

Also isnt starcraft some kind of a training tool for a strategist in a military?
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vortun View Post
    I just passed by this

http://kotaku.com/starcraft-player-g...ili-1481485630

and I gotta say that I'm astonished.

Do you agree that an e-sport gamer should get a salary and a visa like a fellow who lifts weights or runs X miles a day or swims 5 hours in a pool everyday or a mountain climber that risks injury or even death? Someone, and I quote "...is trained or skilled in exercises, sports, or games requiring physical strength, agility, or stamina."?

LMAO.

Gamers. As athletes. LOL.

well sports are technically "games" so yeah they both are in their own right. Both take dedication and practice and skill, also prob some natural talent so again yeah.

Athlete? No. I refuse to change more definitions of words to accommodate people that don't need to be.
    Should there be a way for gamers to make money from gaming? There already is, it just doesn't require being a professional gamer (live streaming, youtube, etc.). They also get huge payouts for winning tournaments and the like.

On another topic, I think athletes and people in the entertainment industry make too much money.
    Deathknight's do it using disease, blood and the power of the unholy. Warlocks do it with dark demons by their side. Mages do it with summoned arcane powers. Druids do it using the forces of nature. Rogues do it through stealth, poison's, shadows and....from behind. Paladins do it by calling to the light for aid. Shamans do it with the help of the elements. Priests do it through the holy light.
    But warriors....
    Warriors just fucking do it.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCakepie View Post
    Absolutely. It's just not a physical activity, just a mental one. And I think there is room for both of them to thrive.
    You think what he does isn't physical? Have you tried to move your hands as fast as and with the precision as they do?

Then you look at curling and shooting(yes, with a gun), and they are considered athletes in those fields...

Quote Originally Posted by OmniSkribe View Post
    Nope. Because 260 pound 13 y/o kids have to be called athletes.
    What a silly comment... You realize that those fat kids also can play football, right?

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    This question gets asked all the time on here. No, playing a video game = professional level athlete.
    Times are changing, and in the US they are. Get used to it.

Deleted
    As proffesional gamers,thats all. Proffesional athlete over.

Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    You think what he does isn't physical? Have you tried to move your hands as fast as and with the precision as they do?

Then you look at curling and shooting(yes, with a gun), and they are considered athletes in those fields...

What a silly comment... You realize that those fat kids also can play football, right?

Times are changing, and in the US they are. Get used to it.

Fatties will never be able to play football with those in peak condition. Having weight behind a block is good, but it matters for shit all against anyone who actually belongs on the field.

And also, I can apparently redefine words to suit me as I see fit? Because we're "changing".

Definitions are important when classifying something like this...
    "A person trained or gifted in exercises or contests involving physical agility, stamina, or strength; a participant in a sport, exercise, or game requiring physical skill."

Gaming does not require any of these, and the "dexterity" needed to do well in these games is almost completely mitigated by macros and computer mice like the Razer Naga.
    Deathknight's do it using disease, blood and the power of the unholy. Warlocks do it with dark demons by their side. Mages do it with summoned arcane powers. Druids do it using the forces of nature. Rogues do it through stealth, poison's, shadows and....from behind. Paladins do it by calling to the light for aid. Shamans do it with the help of the elements. Priests do it through the holy light.
    But warriors....
    Warriors just fucking do it.

Deleted

What does "proffesional" mean to you?:-o