Page 27 of 37 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dooffie66 View Post
    I kind of liked terreria. is this a game I might like? how similiar / different is it from Terraria ?
    Very similar, but they added a lot of features, so it's very hard to compare.
    For myself, i divide them as Terraria being a building-a-base and dig for minerals game, while for Starbound, this kind of attitude is true only for planet you are exploring.
    You do almost same (at this point) what you did in Terraria, you dig for minerals, upgrade gear/weapon, dig/explore and progress.
    Exploring is much more better than in Terraria (you had to create new world in order to get new stuff from Flying isles, for example), in Starbound, you can just fuel up your spaceship and fly to another planet to find a village, or pyramids, or w.e. to get precious loot.

To build interesting house you will have to explore a lot of planets and progress in a game a little (to get access to wires). You get very little furniture from crafting, more stuff you find on surface (often) and through digging (weird caves with bricks and golden ducks). If you lack of furniture of some kind, you can put it in 3D printer, spend money to disassemble it, then you can print (for money) unlimited amount of this furniture. You get a lot of things through exploring, there is huge amount of weird "biomes" (mid-age castles, temples, prisons, labs e.t.c.)

Also, building stuff is much more easier. You don't have to make "walls" of thing, you just right click and block appears on background
    Last edited by Charge me Doctor; 2013-12-18 at 09:57 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Building in the game is mechanically better than Terraria, but the crafting itself is what is limited. Instead of being able to craft something awesome, you have to find it. If you want more of it, you have to use an extravagant amount of pixels to print copies of the item. However, once you get down to actual construction the ability to right click to place a block or item in the background is superb. You can actually put books in window ledges using this design.

Right now the game feels overtuned in many areas and far too grindy. Pixels in general are my biggest gripe as they are too slow to acquire, too penalized for storage and death, and items cost way too many of them. Terraria feels much less limiting and puts the power of your progression in your hands. So far Starbound is a ton of fun, but the forced tedium sucks up much of what it could be.

Seeing their planned updates and knowing this is basically the earliest beta, it does look like the game is headed to amazing places. I think they really just needed some money to get through it. They are doing at least one more character wipe and then hopefully no more, so I'll wait until the next large update to play again.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    Building in the game is mechanically better than Terraria, but the crafting itself is what is limited. Instead of being able to craft something awesome, you have to find it. If you want more of it, you have to use an extravagant amount of pixels to print copies of the item.
    I don't really get this grind complaint with pixels because I think it's really easy to get, one level 10 dungeon when I wasn't even trying gave me 8-9k pixels and high level content isn't even really implemented yet.

Or if you're into digging the refinery also gives you a lot of pixels.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ighox View Post
    I don't really get this grind complaint with pixels because I think it's really easy to get, one level 10 dungeon when I wasn't even trying gave me 8-9k pixels and high level content isn't even really implemented yet.

Or if you're into digging the refinery also gives you a lot of pixels.
    Stop and think about that. You got 9k pixels at level 10. That's max level now. Is this suddenly an MMO where you need to be highest level before you can do anything? You realize that replicating an item can cost half to all of that for ONE item right? You want a cool chair to build a base, too bad. Get leveling and grind your face off. What's that? You died. Sucks to be you, half your money is gone. So you want to play it safe and 'bank' your pixels? GOTCHA, half your money is now gone. Go grind some more to make this game artificially extended.

Now that comes off much harsher than I feel about the game, but you didn't 'get it' so I'm being dramatic to hammer the point home. There are lots of unrefined systems in the game which puts a damper on enjoyment. Maybe when game modes are implemented there would be an 'easy' mode where you don't lose money on death? Or simply allow items to be reclaimed instead of disappearing instantly. Arbitrary penalties are not fun. There's no gameplay there. It's just that: a penalty.
    BAD WOLF

I have reached so far only threat level7 stuff. When I need lot of money, I run around a planet. Somehow I tend to end up with thousands of pixels. I'm saying thousands since its rather random. Sometimes I get only like 3k. Then sometimes I get double that. If I need lots of money fast, I refine silver, gold, ect. . Even now I have stored probably about 20k pixels (that amount if I turned them back into pixels from compressed form).

Dunno how it is later, but at my current level I get way more pixels than I need. I also have constructed stuff for fun on a planet I found pretty and made my home on it. So I also have been spending it too and not just saving.

Deleted
    Right now the game feels overtuned in many areas and far too grindy. Pixels in general are my biggest gripe as they are too slow to acquire, too penalized for storage and death, and items cost way too many of them. Terraria feels much less limiting and puts the power of your progression in your hands. So far Starbound is a ton of fun, but the forced tedium sucks up much of what it could be.
    seems like you are doing something wrong... with the refinery pixels are way undertuned actually. If you gather ores just from the surface of each planet you are visiting you'll get way more pixels than you'll ever need.
    Once you unlock the next tier of crafting you can just throw all the mats of the previous tier in the machine without caring too much, and you can find copper/silver/gold/platinum/diamond ore from level 1 to level 10... Once you get to sector X you can just refine all the diamonds (except the 80 you need for the diamond drill) at a 100pixels/ore ratio.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by noskillz View Post
    seems like you are doing something wrong....
    No, it seems like people aren't actually reading what I'm saying. But hey, this is MMO-C subforums, the home of valiantly defending any criticism against *insert game* in its thread. I'm only up to level 3 because I like exploring and building instead of trying to get the best weapons, beat the bosses, hit threat 10 planets, etc.

I wanted to build because I found lots of cool things. Guess what? It's too expensive since you can only replicate the things and not actually craft them. The game is shallow and has an identity crisis which is magnified by the problem I have detailed. I don't need to hear anecdotes about being higher level and how it works just fine, as my criticism states I don't like that I need to level my way up in order to be able to build what I want on a small world. To me it's not enjoyable. It's perfectly fine if I feel that way. If it's the permanent design, the game won't be as enjoyable to me. It is what it is.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account

S
    Well, i can disagree, gold was much more of a problem back in Terraria if you wasn't lucky enough with ores and had to use explosives to progress. Also, enchanting items was expensive as fuck.
    In Starbound, i don't find pixels being a problem. I've just managed to get to G sector, landed on first small grass planet and was able to pick up 4k pixels from running on surface and killing monsters.

And i haven't noticed any issues with spending 2k pixels on crafting some fancy candelabra. I've build a village and farming for pixels to populate it and to add even more fancy stuff and weapons, spend more than 100k pixels to do so.
    Last edited by Charge me Doctor; 2013-12-19 at 03:44 AM.
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, it seems like people aren't actually reading what I'm saying. But hey, this is MMO-C subforums, the home of valiantly defending any criticism against *insert game* in its thread. I'm only up to level 3 because I like exploring and building instead of trying to get the best weapons, beat the bosses, hit threat 10 planets, etc.

I wanted to build because I found lots of cool things. Guess what? It's too expensive since you can only replicate the things and not actually craft them. The game is shallow and has an identity crisis which is magnified by the problem I have detailed. I don't need to hear anecdotes about being higher level and how it works just fine, as my criticism states I don't like that I need to level my way up in order to be able to build what I want on a small world. To me it's not enjoyable. It's perfectly fine if I feel that way. If it's the permanent design, the game won't be as enjoyable to me. It is what it is.
    Doubt it will be final like that. From my understanding once the 3D printer is fully operational you'll be able to put in any item you find in dungeons/villages for scanning then just make them for pixels! Just need to wait

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Treeskee View Post
    Doubt it will be final like that. From my understanding once the 3D printer is fully operational you'll be able to put in any item you find in dungeons/villages for scanning then just make them for pixels! Just need to wait
    I guess his point in pixels being hard to obtain. Or 3D printing being too expensive

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    I guess his point in pixels being hard to obtain. Or 3D printing being too expensive
    Yeah I can see that I suppose, I mean once you have a refinery or get to a high enough level planet pixels are cake though! I have 2 refinerys on the go at all times basically with 3k~ in them just in case I run into pirates with guns!

I'm on level 2 (Beta) and I can sympathize with your criticism. However, the pixel deficit pushes me in a different direction (mining/random exploring) which really opened more of the game up for me. I just hit my first real base today and found a ton of stuff I can't wait to replicate except I don't have the pixels. But! It's given me a goal in game to work towards. I've put the best items in storage and know that once I get more progressed I can deck out my ship like no other. At first I was irritated but now I like having that goal (as artificial as it may seem) as I progress through the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am kinda bummed we can't reach planets core
    Was hoping for some super cool stuff, but the screen just stops going down :/
    PM me weird stuff :3

10+ Year Old Account
    Recently i've found an Ape village. Now i plan to massacre it, tear down all ape posters and populate it with my florian people

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrops View Post
    I am kinda bummed we can't reach planets core
    Was hoping for some super cool stuff, but the screen just stops going down :/
    Hey, but molten core is the planet core, so, when you reach this lava, it's just lava. You could fill it with dirt and make some kind of "tunnel", but i think they fixed it
    Last edited by Charge me Doctor; 2013-12-19 at 07:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Treeskee View Post
    Problem is that I dont want to use pixels, i want to use materials.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    Problem is that I dont want to use pixels, i want to use materials.
    Pixels is some sort of material, you get it through refining ore. You can use metal bars to craft some furniture, but to get fancy furniture you have to steal and copy it. It's like saying "i don't wanna use wood to craft wooden door" =)

Pixels is some sort of material, you get it through refining ore. You can use metal bars to craft some furniture, but to get fancy furniture you have to steal and copy it. It's like saying "i don't wanna use wood to craft wooden door" =)
    In this case, that analogy falls appart as you are saying "i wanna use money to craft wooden door"

10+ Year Old Account
    In this case, that analogy falls appart as you are saying "i wanna use money to craft wooden door"
    Well, there is no currency system in this game, pixels are used to print something on 3d printer, and thus they have very high trade value (you can make anything out of them) when you buy stuff from merchants

Well, there is no currency system in this game, pixels are used to print something on 3d printer, and thus they have very high trade value (you can make anything out of them) when you buy stuff from merchants
    So basicaly, they are money (better word would be currency, but its all the same). As a glitch I should be able to learn and craft those smooth bricks and medieval furniture instead of relying on cleptomania.

10+ Year Old Account
    So basicaly, they are money (better word would be currency, but its all the same). As a glitch I should be able to learn and craft those smooth bricks and medieval furniture instead of relying on cleptomania.
    Money is just useless piece of junk, while pixels has their uses =)
    They will probably add recipes for "useless" tar, dirt and such. Because now i just dispose them upon obtaining.
    There would be no fun to just "learn" how to craft stuff. Maybe 3d printer will have an option to craft blocks of stuff with "useless" block of dirt and tar instead of pixels? Who knows, but they have feedback threads on their forums
    Last edited by Charge me Doctor; 2013-12-19 at 09:47 AM.