Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    I was lucky and got Aeneas on Hellfire; I'm mostly linking all my alt names to him in some way shape or form (Anchises, Ascanius, Euryalus, Themiste) and I don't worry I won't be able to continue to do so
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

If all the names are being used then buy an imagination and come up with your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Khorm View Post
    If all the names are being used then buy an imagination and come up with your own.
    I have played WoW for 9 years every single name I have used were made 9-6 years ago most of those were original names. Kel'Thuzad literally has every possible name you can think of thats not mumbo jumbo.

Given how you describe the use of accented letters, and others doing the same then really what is there to stop people abusing the naming system.
    It happens pretty frequently in wow, irrespective of how people in GW2 may act.
    Therefore it WILL get abused.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirino View Post
    Kel'Thuzad literally has every possible name you can think of thats not mumbo jumbo.
    No...not every name is taken. There is no end to the imagination.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...term=literally

Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    No...not every name is taken. There is no end to the imagination.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...term=literally
    There is a pretty definite end to a 12 character system and then there is also the thing that not every combination makes sense, like being pronouncable. The limit is hardly reached, but it gets more difficult, that is for sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    I'd then name them names like blizzarddevssuckballs or davekosakisapeiceofshit or words to that effect.
    Nope, too long.....
    But I agree with you on this one for a big part. The naming system is outdated. Also too restrictive to protect the hurtful souls. I mean come one, Dick for example is quite a common name and I am aware of the meaning of the word, still a lot of people are actually called Dick (even in English speaking countries), yet that name is unusable. That's just as much as ridiculous.
    Of course it's no problem if you have the worst names in other languages than English. I have seen (and reported) people with names that referred to rape (Rapeartist) or child abuse (not even gonna mention that one) even. But they were not all in English so they weren't spotted.
    Or you see people getting creative (or trying to) like Trassk's example and they come up with Spankthemonk or worse; Fistmeup or Eetshtndie....

Would be better if banned names would be a dynamic list and evaluated from time to time. Instead of just having a list that was created arbitrarily and that just grows and grows...

P.S. Last name would be a great option, even if you had to select one from a list or something, or roll for a last name and it would pick one from a huge list of allowable last names based on race. You'd still have the option to roll again if you didn't like it. They could have a list of a few hundred to choose from.
    Would be OK with that too. The random last name generator could prevent the use of double names that way too.
    You could still have several Legolas on a server, like Legolas Starseeker or Legolas Moonblade. Or Bernie Twistpipe or Bernie Gearwizzle for gnomes....
    Really can't be that hard. Think that last name should probably be this way to prevent people from being creative and creating names like Al Coholic or Ivana Humpalot etc.
    Last edited by velde046; 2013-12-20 at 06:42 AM.

Blizzard wanted characters to feel original. Having 100 different Worgen Deathknights named Kruciel on the same server takes that away, although I agree that the naming should be a little more Lenient.

On day 1 of Guild Wars 2, My primary name was taken. U find a good name, chances are u ain't the only one.

That said, I do think a 1st name surname system is better overall, means that even if an exact combo is chosen you have so many more chances to get the name u want in some fashion without resorting to alt code characters and such.
    You must show no mercy, Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you: For your greatness will silence them all!
    -Warrior Wisdom

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Annarion View Post
    Asterisk = *
    Accent = â ã ä å

So you're complaining that Blizzard enforces unique names at a server level? And that all the names you wanted were taken? Sorry kiddo, but just because another game has opted not to enforce unique games doesn't mean Blizzard should. Think about something beyond coding for a second, Champions Online has literally no characters I can name. On the other hand, if Blizzard didn't have rules around name creation, every single death knight would be named Arthas, Thassarian, Koltira, or Darion. Every human warrior would be named Varian, every Orc warrior Varok. Do you see where I'm coming from? I realize that if they just banned any permutation of a lore figure's name they could get around this, but what about Legolas? There are a whole host of names that would flourish and take away from the naming convention. As far as I'm concerned the RP realm name rules should apply to every realm. Tired of seeing xxghostkillahxx and the like.
    You have a nice dream

However the "rp server name rules" are a myth. Rp servers are even more littered with "rpisqueer" and "lolrp jenkins" and similar idiot names then even regular realms. That said I agree with the OP that it is annoying. However special character names should not be allowed either. I loathe it
    Wrath baby and proud of it

While I too feel the naming process can be updated (with a last name)... I have always frowned upon people who use accents or misspellings to "get the name they actually wanted but could not."

Like:
    - Legolas
    - Gandalf
    - Sephiroth
    - other well known names

You get the weirdest names:
    - Gándalv
    - Lègólazsh
    -Sêphíróts

and the like... just to get as close to that name as possible.

What the fuck... Are you (people doing this) such unoriginal and unimaginative that you HAVE to pick such a name? Why just not make a new name? There are loads of names outthere that would be very cool.

You know what I do? I make a name... make a character, then view on the armory if that name has been chosen much if at all. If that is the case, I won't pick it. Ofcourse my approach is a bit drastic, but I like being original.

Now you can ofcourse check my name on the armory. And voila you'll see atleast one page of Vaelorian's these days. But when I made the character, I was the only one (even after the armory got made) for a long while. I think my name was first "copied" when it was WOTLK.

I could see them adding last names as an option.

Let's say that archeologists could put together a Bind on Use quest item "Recovered Family Tree" that let you give a single character a last name after a short quest chain. Would probably sell well on RP realms.

If such a thing was added, would you want total freedom to pick the last name, or make is so you could only pick from a list of last names Blizzard added?

Imo stricter naming policies should be in place. Some of the names we have are freaking retarded.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

Deleted
    I agree with the fact that a first and second name could be a nice thing to have. I like in SWToR the concept of legacy name (even if sometimes, I find disturbing that my Sith Warrior has the same family name as my Mirialan Jedi).

But imagine they announce they take time to change the naming policy and resolve all conflicts inherent to it.
    So many posts would be created to complain about Blizzard changing a thing that has almost no impact on current players instead of focusing on new content / graphics / bug fix / max level gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    no i'm from the UK. if blizzard removed this and forcefully told me i had to rename my characters with asterisk in them to ones that do not, thus losing my characters name, I'd tell them to stick it up there wind pipe. I'd then name them names like blizzarddevssuckballs or davekosakisapeiceofshit or words to that effect.
    Bro nobody likes people with stupid ' ^¨´` in their names, get over it.
    You can try to fit me in a box, only to see me burst out of it.

They need to force name change people that just hold names. Should be a rule if your account goes inactive for more than a year, you relinquish your names.

Quote Originally Posted by Regalbeast View Post
    I sure hope that players can never make first and last names in WoW. With titles that could get really long and strange. I honestly have never had a problem naming my characters, and when one is not available I just move on...
    I have to agree with you. It is already bad enough with toons being named after body parts, intestinal sounds, and sexual positions.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP